Minority & Underserved in OB/GYN - Southeast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EMDocV

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As with all medical specialities there are common pros & cons associated with specific practices. For some time I have become very interested in working with the socioeconomically disadvantaged & underserved. I have found a true desire to pursue OB/GYN. As an african american male I have really in a selfless manner set my self up for several oportunities for discrimination. There are still :eek: some instances where patients prefer physicians of other genders & racial backgrounds. I am fully cognizant of that and hope you are as well. :D However I am so excited about community outreach, preventive medicine, & especially obstetrics. Being a primary care physician in my opinion seems very rewarding. I anticipated going into private practice, specifically in Georgia with someone who has my same visions & goals. Serve those that are less fortunate, the most vulnerable, & have the need for quality healthcare. I am also into education or rather educating for healthy lifestyles, safe & normal pregnancies. Nevertheless I was wondering if there were any other prospective OB/GYN's or Med students considering OB/GYN, that might have that same outlook. Regardless of the preferance for females in some cases, or the malpractice insurance. Are there any of you all in the healthcare field that tailor thier vocation around serving minority populations? Minority populations in OB/GYN? like myself...

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.