Misdemeanor charge and podiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agraham

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently was arrested for petit theft. It is my fist offense and my charges will be dropped after I finish an intervention program but I am applying to school within the new few months. I am wondering what my chances are of getting into podiatry school? Anyone have experience with a criminal record and podiatry school, any advice?

I know there is always an option to wait till my record is expunged which will happen in 2 years but I really don't want to do that. I just want your opinions on my chances at getting in with my current situation.

Members don't see this ad.

Why the hell are you stealing things at all let alone right at graduation?

Reactions: 1 user
Probably not good with a blemished record

Members don't see this ad :)
You should look at your state laws and talk to the state licensing board where you will want to practice. Expungement removes your record from public view but not from view by law enforcement and government agencies including your state's licensing board. You will have to be transparent with your state board about it when you eventually do apply for licensure because even if you're not they will be still able to see it and if you try to mislead them you may end up even worse off. You may get through school but when you go to get licensed you might hit a roadblock. You should talk to your state licensing board before you go any further.

There are people in our class with previous DUI, one guy with a minor hacking charge (he changed grades in the system in high school). It is probably not the end of the world, ask you lawyer about this. You can still likely get into the program. It is getting your DEA license down the road will be the bigger hurdle.