Misdemeanor Crime?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Revolver1045

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
you could try to get it expunged, probably to late though if you are applying this cycle, or maybe not.

It's wishy washy there, since it is not expunged or dismissed I'd say you have to list it. Otherwise contact a lawyer to see if you can get it expunged quickly.

It sounds like misdemeanor and petty misdemeanor are completely different things lust like how zombies and zombie redneck torture families are different or elephants and elephant seals.

Members don't see this ad :)
In different states these same offenses are called "Petty Offenses" and are not required to be listed on AMCAS. It's a legitimate question.

I believe my pop culture reference summed up that they were different nicely

I opted to list mine: a providing alcohol to minors at a house party offense. You get the opportunity to explain yourself on AMCAS, so disclose the basic details and explain what you learned from the offense. Mine: Just because an illegal offense is common in college does not mean that it is acceptable.

Personally, I felt it was a bigger risk to not disclose and then have it found out and look like a liar. AMCAS says "misdemeanor" so if your record somewhere says "misdemeanor" I believe they expect you to include it. When I told one interviewer about it he poo'd it away, saying that it was no big deal.

Also, I got in. 4 interview invites. One rejected me and I dropped myself from the other two to take my first acceptance since I was happy with it and didn't want to play the wait and debate game.

I don't believe that trying to "trick" your way in will work. Don't waste your time on back-door strategies, spend your time on improving your application in other areas. Trickery and tomfoolery will come back and haunt you. Be proud of the person you are and recognize that more and more people are collecting misdemeanors for "silly" things that do not reflect their morality or ability.

I opted to list mine: a providing alcohol to minors at a house party offense. You get the opportunity to explain yourself on AMCAS, so disclose the basic details and explain what you learned from the offense. Mine: Just because an illegal offense is common in college does not mean that it is acceptable.

Personally, I felt it was a bigger risk to not disclose and then have it found out and look like a liar. AMCAS says "misdemeanor" so if your record somewhere says "misdemeanor" I believe they expect you to include it. When I told one interviewer about it he poo'd it away, saying that it was no big deal.

Also, I got in. 4 interview invites. One rejected me and I dropped myself from the other two to take my first acceptance since I was happy with it and didn't want to play the wait and debate game.

I don't believe that trying to "trick" your way in will work. Don't waste your time on back-door strategies, spend your time on improving your application in other areas. Trickery and tomfoolery will come back and haunt you. Be proud of the person you are and recognize that more and more people are collecting misdemeanors for "silly" things that do not reflect their morality or ability.

This is a legitimately awesome post. You set him straight, girl.

Interesting situation. According to the revised 2011 Minnesota Statutes,
Subd. 4a.Petty misdemeanor.

"Petty misdemeanor" means a petty offense which is prohibited by statute, which does not constitute a crime and for which a sentence of a fine of not more than $300 may be imposed.

The statutes very clearly state that petty misdemeanors are not a crime and the AMCAS wording does specifically use the word "crime" concerning the question. My advice would be to contact a few schools on the DL to see what their take would be on your situation.

I would also contact the schools you are interested in to see if you have to report it on tthat particular secondary question since they often use the word "crime" in the description of the question.

Called AMCAS today. They said "as long as you call the jurisdiction where the offenses took place and that they confirm that the offenses are not misdemeanor crimes you do not need to list them on your application." A petty misdemeanor in MN is not a crime, so I do not need to list them.

Sucks that I'll probably have to put it on some of the secondaries anyways, but whatever I guess.

I urge you to identify how much your HOPE to not include the event is clouding your judgment. . . I believe that the choice you have indicated will make you look like a liar at some point in time in the process. Yes, you could ask forgiveness, instead of permission. . . if you are even given the chance. :eek:

The debate over the phrase "misdemeanor crime" vs just the word "crime" in their statement sounds a bit like the "definition of sexual relations" debate . . . I am concerned that crime may be loosely defined as "things that got you in trouble for that are deemed a misdemeanor" . . . and that the inclusion of EITHER word, "crime" or "misdemeanor" means that they want to know about it.

Think about how YOU would feel if you were interviewing an employee for a very competitive position at your company and you liked them, they seemed qualified, nice and smart. . .then you got criminal record back saying he had a petty misdemeanor.You are startled because on your job application you had asked the applicant to list misdemeanor crimes. . . .as an employer this RAISES ALARM BELLS. You wonder if they are stupid or if they are evasive, you doubt your first opinion and you therefore give the job to someone else. . . . you don't even realize that there was a difference in the phrase petty misdemeanor and misdemeanor crime because to most people they will assume these are the same.

Now, I understand that you have the fear that someone will read that you have a criminal record and will immediately discard your application. . . .I went through this and calculated the risk was not worth it. In fact, I venture this hypothetical scenario:

An admissions staff will be reading thousands of applications, getting tired, and then they come across your app listing a petty misdemeanor . . . their interest will be piqued! The reader asks, what crazy stuff did this guy do? and feels some small excitement for the break from routine. They read your description of what happened and what you learned from it and how it is a mistake they have not repeated and will not repeat, etc. The reader pauses, and then realizes how silly the crime is and they empathize with you. They read on with renewed interest. . . .now just make sure the rest of your app is interesting!

:luck:
Good luck with your choice. Just want to make sure you use the best judgment, all things considered.

Last edited:
I urge you to identify how much your HOPE to not include the event is clouding your judgment. . . I believe that the choice you have indicated will make you look like a liar at some point in time in the process. Yes, you could ask forgiveness, instead of permission. . . if you are even given the chance. :eek:

The debate over the phrase "misdemeanor crime" vs just the word "crime" in their statement sounds a bit like the "definition of sexual relations" debate . . . I am concerned that crime may be loosely defined as "things that got you in trouble for that are deemed a misdemeanor" . . . and that the inclusion of EITHER word, "crime" or "misdemeanor" means that they want to know about it.

Think about how YOU would feel if you were interviewing an employee for a very competitive position at your company and you liked them, they seemed qualified, nice and smart. . .then you got criminal record back saying he had a petty misdemeanor.You are startled because on your job application you had asked the applicant to list misdemeanor crimes. . . .as an employer this RAISES ALARM BELLS. You wonder if they are stupid or if they are evasive, you doubt your first opinion and you therefore give the job to someone else. . . . you don't even realize that there was a difference in the phrase petty misdemeanor and misdemeanor crime because to most people they will assume these are the same.

Now, I understand that you have the fear that someone will read that you have a criminal record and will immediately discard your application. . . .I went through this and calculated the risk was not worth it. In fact, I venture this hypothetical scenario:

An admissions staff will be reading thousands of applications, getting tired, and then they come across your app listing a petty misdemeanor . . . their interest will be peaked! The reader asks, what crazy stuff did this guy do? and feels some small excitement for the break from routine. They read your description of what happened and what you learned from it and how it is a mistake they have not repeated and will not repeat, etc. The reader pauses, and then realizes how silly the crime is and they empathize with you. They read on with renewed interest. . . .now just make sure the rest of your app is interesting!

:luck:
Good luck with your choice. Just want to make sure you use the best judgment, all things considered.

Peaked =/= Piqued

Hi All,

I'm applying through AMCAS this year to medical school and I have a "Misrepresentation of Age" on my record from 3 years ago. In MN, where I was convicted, "Misrepresentation of Age" is a "Petty Misdemeanor." Minnesota Law clearly states that a "Petty Misdemeanor" is not a criminal offense. Parking, traffic, and my "Misrepresentation of Age" ticket all fall into this category.

On AMCAS this year it says...

"Have you ever been convicted of, or pleaded guilty or no contest to, a Misdemeanor crime, excluding 1) any offense for which you were adjudicated as a juvenile, 2) any convictions which have been expunged or sealed by a court, or 3) any misdemeanor convictions for which any probation has been completed and the case dismissed by the court (in states where applicable)?"

I've called Certiphi and they said that although it is not a misdemeanor crime it will still come up on my background check since it has the word "misdemeanor" in it. Way to do your do diligence.

I'm wondering if I should click "No" and explain my situation later to medical schools, or click "Yes" and potentially get my application put into another pile.

Note: My friend got a "Underage Consumption of Alcohol" ticket and a "Disorderly Conduct" ticket, both petty misdemeanors and not misdemeanor crimes in MN, and he got into medical school last year without listing them. When they saw these discrepancies on the application he said that he wrote them a letter explaining it and still got in. His suggestion to me were to not list it, since they won't do a background check until you are accepted and that once I received the copy of it to just call the med school explaining that I didn't need to disclose it because it is not a crime.

I'm really not that afraid to click yes because last years AMCAS stated "list ANY misdemeanors" so I have a statement prepared. It's just that since I saw that it is worded differently for the 2013 application I was wondering if there is a loop hole.

Thoughts?

Are you sure it's still on your record? In my state they are called minor misdemeanors and would have been wiped off your record within three years... I know this because i just got one this past weekend......... :(