Missing: Black men in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorDrewOutsidetheLines

Pink Panther & Hope Diamond
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts?

I've read a few articles on this phenomenon, but it really hit home when I just saw SIU's Medprep's photos for the class of 2017 on Facebook. They accept 36 people. I counted about 25 females in one photos. And 9 males. I believe 2 of the people missing were males because the photo caption said "some of the males in the class of 2017"

That's not enough! And not to mention, I'm going to be single in med school, so here's hoping I get into a school in a city or my classmates are down with swirling.

How to recruit more URMs? And why do AA women tend to go to medical school vs AA men?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Yea, I'm all too familiar; in my first three interviews, I was consistently the only black male. As far as schools go, the president of MSM, Dr. Rice, has discussed this at length with the media and I believe Howard has made it a part of their mission to specifically increase black male representation in medschool. I say this to say that this issue certainly hasn't gone unnoticed but honestly, (and I'm sure I don't need to tell you this) but the issue starts way before the point of medschool. We have to get these young boys succeeding in primary school to then excel in high school and make the leap to college.

Reactions: 12 users
Hey everyone,

I really enjoy this thread as in my class there are only 3 black men in a class of 45. It's very rare to find us in medicine. You are correct the problem definitely starts way before med school. I'm from Detroit and I see this problem way too often. That's why I started Men of Color Aspiring in Medicine (MEN OF COLOR A.I.M) in hopes of catching them young and being mentors for them.

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm one of two in a class of around 160.

As mentioned, the problem with the numbers has to do more so with everything else prior to medical school applications all the way back to elementary school...

Oh and to answer your question about why black women tend to be better represented in higher learning including medschool, it's due to the fact that females are nutured more (all things being equal) in our communities. As they grow up, they tend to be held on to by the family a bit longer than males who are encouraged to get out there, make mistakes, and explore. That, in conjunction to reinforcement in education as her "way out" or road to success, build up the young girl's sense of self-efficacy and confidence leading them to pursue education in the numbers that exist today.

Obviously, this isn't unverisal across our community and there are always outliers and other circumstances but I'm confident that this truly speaks to the black women who do pursue higher education.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I'm one of two in a class of around 160.

As mentioned, the problem with the numbers has to do more so with everything else prior to medical school applications all the way back to elementary school...

Wow. What school do you attend? Also, how do you feel being only one of two out of 160? Do you feel that people treat you different or question you how you got into the program?

Wow. What school do you attend? Also, how do you feel being only one of two out of 160? Do you feel that people treat you different or question you how you got into the program?

Hi.

Boston University School of Medicine.

I don't particularly feel anything about it, I jovially call my classmate "Hey other black guy" — I guess I don't give it much thought internally as well, as I have the same scores as many of my classmates and some unique experience, so I don't feel like I have anything to really prove but to myself. I see PoC in positions of power throughout our system here, so I don't feel like a zebra all the time, and there's a lot of support for us as they know it can be an isolating experience for some (on top of medschool of course).

No one questions me in a negative way, nor does anyone seem to wonder if I "should be here", if anything I've had people mistake me for being way more competent or knowledgable than I really am. Socially, I'm never excluded. In fact, I'm invited to so many things I feel like the village flake because I always have something else to do. In the courses, I've hosted "tutorials" for classmates and I am frequently invited to add study groups. I say that not to impress, sounds pretty normal in medschool, but instead I'm extrapolating that my thoughts are respected among my peers who've gotten to know me over the years.

Though I'm from California and I came from a multiracial family — it's like we're collecting Pokemon. So, I'm used to not being surrounded by any one race. Also, growing up, I was typically one of the few black people in all of my classes and usually the only one. I'm used to this. At to note with patients of all color, we have a largely black (AA, Haitian, Cape Verdean, African countries) patient population, I've only been treated with great respect.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi.

Boston University School of Medicine.

I don't particularly feel anything about it, I jovially call my classmate "Hey other black guy" — I guess I don't give it much thought internally as well, as I have the same scores as many of my classmates and some unique experience, so I don't feel like I have anything to really prove but to myself. I see PoC in positions of power throughout our system here, so I don't feel like a zebra all the time, and there's a lot of support for us as they know it can be an isolating experience for some (on top of medschool of course).

No one questions me in a negative way, nor does anyone seem to wonder if I "should be here", if anything I've had people mistake me for being way more competent or knowledgable than I really am. Socially, I'm never excluded. In fact, I'm invited to so many things I feel like the village flake because I always have something else to do. In the courses, I've hosted "tutorials" for classmates and I am frequently invited to add study groups. I say that not to impress, sounds pretty normal in medschool, but instead I'm extrapolating that my thoughts are respected among my peers who've gotten to know me over the years.

Though I'm from California and I came from a multiracial family — it's like we're collecting Pokemon. So, I'm used to not being surrounded by any one race. Also, growing up, I was typically one of the few black people in all of my classes and usually the only one. I'm used to this. At to note with patients of all color, we have a largely black (AA, Haitian, Cape Verdean, African countries) patient population, I've only been treated with great respect.

Thank you for your repsonse.

During undergrad I noticed the more I advance the less I see PoC, as students that is. I attended a large university in Detroit. Detroit is known as one of the most segregated cities in the country. While I was taking classes people would question me about why I'm in this class. I've had a couple of instances that provided me evidence that my classmates did not trust my knowledge. However, I was outscoring them and they had no idea. For example, I was sitting in the chemistry department studying and a group of students entered the building and one guy was having a difficult time with organic chemistry. He asked his friends if they would help him and they told him they didn't know how to do it even though they just completed the same orgo hw. As a side note, I love helping people any way that I can, so I asked him "you need help?" and he replied "no, I'm good I got it". I turned around and said "ok". He then goes back to his friends and tells them he needs help. I said "bro are you sure you don't need help?" and he said "yeah I'm sure". Ten minutes later another student comes in with the same problem. I noticed he was struggling so i asked if he needed help. He replies " yes", so I begin to help him and whIle I'm helping him the other guy looks at me and says "I guess you really know what you're talking about". I said to him "you wouldn't know because you wouldn't give me a chance to help". He turns to his friends and say "Hey, that black dude know what he's talking after all".

I've had a slightly different experience with my classmates here at my Med school. It's not all of them of course. They try to do things to get us in trouble believe it or not. They dislike when we ask questions in class. One person came up to me and said "if you have questions go home and Google them". Someone, also went to the chair of the department and tell them I'm being disruptful when I ask questions in class. But I love my school nonetheless.

According to the stats, around 7% of MD acceptees (~1400 per year) are black, compared to about 12.2% in the general population. A rather large chunk of those are going to be at HBCUs.

My class has...... actually, I don't think we have any black males. Black females yes.

@jonnythan

1. How would you know? Please source your stats.
2. What percentage of accepted AAs matriculate?
3. What percentage of matriculated AAs attend HBCUs?
4. Can you do me a solid and source other URMs too, and separate this data by M/F?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@jonnythan

1. How would you know? Please source your stats.
2. What percentage of accepted AAs matriculate?
3. What percentage of matriculated AAs attend HBCUs?
4. Can you do me a solid and source other URMs too, and separate this data by M/F?

Thanks!

1) AAMC publishes these stats. Search for Table 24 and Table 25.
2) No idea. They publish that too, though, I think.
3) No idea. You are free to assemble that information yourself, though.
4) Do your own homework.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's not my homework when you are making claims here. It's yours. Or didn't you learn that in school? Always cite your sources. Furthermore, I really have no idea why you commented.

It's not my homework when you are making claims here. It's yours. Or didn't you learn that in school? Always cite your sources. Furthermore, I really have no idea why you commented.

Jesus dude. I was sharing some facts with you. I provided my source when you asked. I don't know the answers to your other questions, but you can find the answers yourself. I have no idea why you demanded that I answer them for you.

I didn't demand, I asked politely. I am sick and tired of anti-URM people coming to this thread and spouting "facts" they don't source. "Compared to 12.2% of the population, according to you, AAs are accepted at the high rate of 7%"

Yet...hmmm...there's none in your class so you automatically assume "a huge chunk go to HBCUs of which there are only 4." Doubt that is written anywhere. I think that's just your assumption.

Should tell you something.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I didn't demand, I asked politely. I am sick and tired of anti-URM people coming to this thread and spouting "facts" they don't source. "Compared to 12.2% of the population, according to you, AAs are accepted at the high rate of 7%"

Yet...hmmm...there's none in your class so you automatically assume "a huge chunk go to HBCUs of which there are only 4." Source where you found that stat, please.

Should tell you something.

Anti-URM? What on earth are you smoking?

What's up with you added all these words to my quotes? "Compared to 12.2% of the population, according to you, AAs are accepted at the high rate of 7%" I didn't say 7% was high. 7% is lower than 12%, you know. That's why blacks are underrepresented in medical school: there is a smaller proportion of blacks in medical school than the general population. That's what underrepresented means.

And out of 4 HCBUs, looking at class pictures 90% or more of their classes are black. Even if it were 75%, with an enrollment of over 400 students between the 4 schools that's 300 out of 1400, or over 20% (and more likely about 25%) of black medical students are enrolled in about 3% of schools. Again, that's over 20% of black students are concentrated into 3% of schools.

This also means that, among non-HBCU MD schools, blacks represent more like 5% than 7% of the students. Again: 5 is lower than 12.

I'm not even sure why I'm posting here anymore. I thought facts would add to the discussion, but apparently not.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone,

I really enjoy this thread as in my class there are only 3 black men in a class of 45. It's very rare to find us in medicine. You are correct the problem definitely starts way before med school. I'm from Detroit and I see this problem way too often. That's why I started Men of Color Aspiring in Medicine (MEN OF COLOR A.I.M) in hopes of catching them young and being mentors for them.

Out of a class of 45, 3 black men is perfectly in line with the general population, actually. About 6% of the population is black and male, and 3/45 is 6.7%.

Last edited:
Thank you for your repsonse.

During undergrad I noticed the more I advance the less I see PoC, as students that is. I attended a large university in Detroit. Detroit is known as one of the most segregated cities in the country. While I was taking classes people would question me about why I'm in this class. I've had a couple of instances that provided me evidence that my classmates did not trust my knowledge. However, I was outscoring them and they had no idea. For example, I was sitting in the chemistry department studying and a group of students entered the building and one guy was having a difficult time with organic chemistry. He asked his friends if they would help him and they told him they didn't know how to do it even though they just completed the same orgo hw. As a side note, I love helping people any way that I can, so I asked him "you need help?" and he replied "no, I'm good I got it". I turned around and said "ok". He then goes back to his friends and tells them he needs help. I said "bro are you sure you don't need help?" and he said "yeah I'm sure". Ten minutes later another student comes in with the same problem. I noticed he was struggling so i asked if he needed help. He replies " yes", so I begin to help him and whIle I'm helping him the other guy looks at me and says "I guess you really know what you're talking about". I said to him "you wouldn't know because you wouldn't give me a chance to help". He turns to his friends and say "Hey, that black dude know what he's talking after all".

I've had a slightly different experience with my classmates here at my Med school. It's not all of them of course. They try to do things to get us in trouble believe it or not. They dislike when we ask questions in class. One person came up to me and said "if you have questions go home and Google them". Someone, also went to the chair of the department and tell them I'm being disruptful when I ask questions in class. But I love my school nonetheless.

Keeping with the original topic, I'm sorry you had that experience. Don't get me wrong, in undergrad, yes I've experience those types of micro-aggressions. I still remember the surprise and disdain on some of my former classmates' eyes when I finished the midterm in about 30 minutes while people were likely still struggling near the first couple of problems. But, I assume everyone kinda hates the dude who finishes early and doesn't look like they're having a hard time sometimes. In reality, I worked my ass off. I wouldn't do the assigned problems, I did all of them, usually about three times towards the end of the courses. When I didn't really feel I understood the science of NMR, I went to the library and read several esoteric books on them theory. Instead of just reading the required reading for I later went onto to tutor it, the only non chemistry major tutoring organic chemistry, aside from physiology. I became more popular in the chemistry department, and branched out to general chemistry, got stuck with biochemistry, and anything else the university could tack on. The university started to do allow high school and outside universities contact us for tutoring as well. I remember one time, I went to a families house to tutor AP biology with the high school kid for the first time. Long story short, they even doubted that I could handle tutoring biology and had a debate upstairs while I waited, the wife called the husband, they talked for a while. After coming downstairs, I was pretty much told to see you later. But, you know what, I don't really care. I feel sorry for the kid, only because I think I really could have helped him in his AP course as I did others. If someone doesn't want to trust me because of what they assume about me, their loss. At the same time, regardless of background, there's people working harder than me or less than me and doing better — I assume people hate on those people somewhere — there's probably a hater equation that is based on the log of e.

Most people, of every race, are pretty cordial with me. Every now and then, sure I meet a jerk. But, I see jerks all the time being jerks to other people for stupid reasons, so I guess I don't care because it seems rather ubiquitous. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I'm saying that minorities (likely in every country and perhaps most social situations) have a worse incidence rate of jerk interactions per year. So, if I let those things bother me I think I'd be mentally fatigued and debilitated from the undue stress. But I think most people aren't racist or racially prejudice. The ones' that are small minded and are missing out on the world. I didn't grow up with much positive reinforcement or reward for the things I did, so I don't particularly care if people recognize me either. Most people, are pretty decent and pretty cool and I just focus on them. And I try to focus on the 'minority' that are, well "d**ks", that are missing out on a lot of good interactions from various cultures and personalities. I just roll like J and brush my shoulders off. I feed off of people's doubts and my own, and try to channel it into something positive, it makes me do better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
As a rising junior fellow I have seen this problem since I was an Intern >3 years ago. Within the almost 4 years I have been in residency I have literally seen 3 (yes-three) black male medical students on clinical rotations. THREE. There are about 150 students in each class and maybe <10 people are black, the greater of which are black women.

As a rising junior fellow I have seen this problem since I was an Intern >3 years ago. Within the almost 4 years I have been in residency I have literally seen 3 (yes-three) black male medical students on clinical rotations. THREE. There are about 150 students in each class and maybe <10 people are black, the greater of which are black women.

It's not really any better on the PhD (biomedical sciences) side of things either. I'm one of the only 2 black males in my program.

PhD programs probably feel the pain 5x more than MD programs. And MD/PhD???-forget it. Can't remember the last time I saw a black male enrolled in that since I started medical school in 2008.

With all being said, I think the best thing we can do is find a way to get back into the community and help the young generation of black men. There are many other temptations that is the result of this disparity. We have to show there is another light to follow.

Reactions: 5 users
Tell every Black young male in high school - any group of Black youth you mentor about Cuba's free Medical School for Blacks and Latinos in the US (if they come from economically disenfranchised backgrounds). Spread it on social media. Tell your frat brothers, your sorority sisters, your alumni associations, your black student unions and Offices of diversity. Make this go viral in the Black community. Tell your church congregations.

http://ifconews.org/medical-school/frequently-asked-questions/

Get them in on the diversity high school pipeline programs that many med schools offer during the summer either low cost or free of charge.

And if all else fails, throw in some scare tactics of the incarceration rate and some sobering statistics of getting criminally profiled and arrested no matter how much money or celebrity a Black male in America has. But having money does get you a get out jail card free card and an apology....sometimes.

Last edited:
It would be hard to scare anyone into pursuing medicine. It's too difficult of a path. I'd rather advocate that young black males go for a STEM degree in college, volunteer, and naturally develop the passion and drive to pursue medicine for their own reasons.

It would be hard to scare anyone into pursuing medicine. It's too difficult of a path. I'd rather advocate that young black males go for a STEM degree in college, volunteer, and naturally develop the passion and drive to pursue medicine for their own reasons.
Speaking of stem, lego has robotics leagues that teach design and programming. The ages start young enough to get kids before they start making bad decisions. It's a great way to steer kids into knowing they can do that kind of work. I'd link if i wasn't on my phone

Sorry for the multiple quote but I found the link
http://www.firstlegoleague.org/

It would be hard to scare anyone into pursuing medicine.

You obviously don't understand the dynamic of the hardworking single Black mother stereotype in the AA community. And the Oedipal complex. Many [Black] mothers have some serious negotiation power when it comes to the direction of their sons' futures.

You obviously don't understand the dynamic of the hardworking single Black mother stereotype in the AA community. And the Oedipal complex. Many [Black] mothers have some serious negotiation power when it comes to the direction of their sons' futures.

Hardworking single black mothers, no matter the sacrifice, aren't gonna scare kids into medicine. They can guilt them into being premed, but if that kid doesn't want to do medicine the adcom will stop them right there. Most of those single mothers just want their kids to stay off the streets, get an education, and a respectable job. While medicine is very respectable, it's not a joke and definitely not all it's glamorized to be. All I mean to say is that no amount of pleading, negotiating, whoppings, etc. is gonna make some kid a doctor. Like the saying goes "you can lead the horse to the water..."

Oh and to answer your question about why black women tend to be better represented in higher learning including medschool, it's due to the fact that females are nutured more (all things being equal) in our communities. As they grow up, they tend to be held on to by the family a bit longer than males who are encouraged to get out there, make mistakes, and explore. That, in conjunction to reinforcement in education as her "way out" or road to success, build up the young girl's sense of self-efficacy and confidence leading them to pursue education in the numbers that exist today.

Obviously, this isn't unverisal across our community and there are always outliers and other circumstances but I'm confident that this truly speaks to the black women who do pursue higher education.
I am the exception to this observation. I was never nurtured more. I just saw education as a way to help my family and myself move out of poverty. I feel like black women are resilient; we keep pushing past obstacles and disappointments and avoid shortcuts or the easy way out.

I am the exception to this observation. I was never nurtured more. I just saw education as a way to help my family and myself move out of poverty. I feel like black women are resilient; we keep pushing past obstacles and disappointments and avoid shortcuts or the easy way out.

Yea, I never doubted the resilent nature of black women nor was it my intent to infantile or belittle but there is clearly a difference in how the black male is raised versus the black female. I celebrate you all and I will always be in full support of yall's achievement.

Tell every Black young male in high school - any group of Black youth you mentor about Cuba's free Medical School for Blacks and Latinos in the US (if they come from economically disenfranchised backgrounds). Spread it on social media. Tell your frat brothers, your sorority sisters, your alumni associations, your black student unions and Offices of diversity. Make this go viral in the Black community. Tell your church congregations.

http://ifconews.org/medical-school/frequently-asked-questions/

Get them in on the diversity high school pipeline programs that many med schools offer during the summer either low cost or free of charge.

And if all else fails, throw in some scare tactics of the incarceration rate and some sobering statistics of getting criminally profiled and arrested no matter how much money or celebrity a Black male in America has. But having money does get you a get out jail card free card and an apology....sometimes.

Scare tactics are actually an ineffective way of getting anyone to do anything. If anything, we should be focusing on the positives. For example, the number of black men in college outnumber those who are in prison. Does this mean that the preschool to prison pipeline is no longer present? No, but I think we are taking steps in the right direction. Personally, I think pipeline programs are great, but I also feel as though we need sustainability programs once students of color are in college and pursuing their degrees. The prerequisite courses are no joke, but if there was a network that provided tutoring, encouragement and substantial resources maybe we could increase the number of students who finish their pre-reqs so that they can apply.

Tell Indian and Asian parents that scare tactics don't work. They'll prove you wrong. Helicopter parenting is wrong but there are many instances in which it works.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Tell Indian and Asian parents that scare tactics don't work. They'll prove you wrong. Helicopter parenting is wrong but there are many instances in which it works.

I believe it's more of an overtly cultural thing that has been present for numerous decades that you just don't see in the black community. In general, there is a stronger sense of not wanting to dishonor or disappoint the family. They're much more family-oriented and more of a collectivist culture than American culture which has begun placing a higher priority on the individual.

Not to say that we still shouldn't be searching for answers but this kind of explains why scare tactics and helicopter parenting are more effective in those communities.

Well, what scare tactics would you use for our black men? @URMfutureDoc

A black man's weakness is a black woman. If our women/culture can create an environment where being successful is the norm then I think things will change. Also the things which we glamorize in our community needs to change. Essentially we need to take notes from the Asian and Indian community.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
I agree. More times than not if you're a smart/nerdy BM you're seen as "lame" to BW. If you're more hood or thug then you're "cool" to them. Not saying that all BW are like this but I've seen it too many times to count. This seems to be the opposite in the Asian and Indian communities.

• Dislike
I agree. More times than not if you're a smart/nerdy BM you're seen as "lame" to BW. If you're more hood or thug then you're "cool" to them. Not saying that all BW are like this but I've seen it too many times to count. This seems to be the opposite in the Asian and Indian communities.

Exactly! There is no social incentive in our community to encourage success! Obviously that shouldn't be the only reason you go into medicine but taking care of our community needs to be our top concern.

Hardworking single black mothers, no matter the sacrifice, aren't gonna scare kids into medicine. They can guilt them into being premed, but if that kid doesn't want to do medicine the adcom will stop them right there. Most of those single mothers just want their kids to stay off the streets, get an education, and a respectable job. While medicine is very respectable, it's not a joke and definitely not all it's glamorized to be. All I mean to say is that no amount of pleading, negotiating, whoppings, etc. is gonna make some kid a doctor. Like the saying goes "you can lead the horse to the water..."

My single helicopter mother DIDN'T force me into medicine but she laid a very heavy hand on my entire life (including my education) as a kid.

At age 16, I got out, fed up - tried running away, DCFS (foster services), suicide - and finally on a whim realized I could attend college at 16.

Long story short, it took me years later to realize I got the exact same degrees in the exact same fields my mother did - and she NEVER said a word about college or graduate school or what major to pursue. It was years later that I discovered the similarities like whoa - therapy moment.

I can only imagine if she had opened her can of whoop-a$$ on me over becoming a doctor while I was growing up - I might very well be a cardiologist by now.

She was more ferocious than a tiger parent - she was a liger parent.

I'm pretty sure kids (little URM boys and girls) being impressionable and all can be scared straight. Straight into medicine.

I'm not saying this is the best way to parent medical school matriculants, but I second the motion that it seems to be working for the Indian and Asian communities.

Also, given the earlier point that Black men try to impress Black women, it also follows that there's a special place for the Black man's "momma" - a Black man would want to impress his mother - usually.

And don't blame us Black women for Black men's behaviors - statistically we are much higher achieving than our Black brothas, and women in general tend to want to seek mates of a higher status than themselves (for resources and procreation purposes), so I refute the notion that Black men who are "thug-like" and "hard" are attractive to most Black women.

I think some people are buying into the gangsta rap fallacy.

Last edited:
The circle of women I hang with, are absolutely smitten with educated black brothas... Just saying.

Took my GRE today! Verbal 161, Quant 148 won't know about the writing score until it's official, but I'm hoping it's 5.5 like it was years ago (or maybe even a 6!!!!)

Total = 309

Just thought I'd share. Hope you guys are having a fantastic weekend! <3

One of my best friends and colleagues is a black PMR physician. He trained me in ICP (IntraCavernosalProstaglandins) which I started doing from scratch with little urology experience otherwise. The same guy got me into understanding BHRT and I am aaaaaaalmost succeeded in getting him to fly across the country and relocate to my big town.

We discuss everything between heaven and earth. I am a huge soccer fanatic and have taught him the entire game from scratch. One of his best friends is a soccer coach in a top US team. Together me and him make a perfect tango in practicing integrative medicine.

Race-stuff we talk all the time. I am mixed background myself, but think legislations to work on this is not very helpful. INSTEAD, I think more young black doctors ( not only med students) need experienced attendings to mentor them. I also think it is MUCH MORE important for URM's to go ant get more lucrative jobs and avoid being recruited " for their own community". In the long run, I believe this is best way to go.

Women liking " tougher" men is nothing different from other cultures. Yes, the (typically white) feminazis want dorm mats, but overall, I think women are more attracted to physical appeal than the dogma is.

So, to make it brief, I think new resident graduates need older attending mentor, preferably before they get sucked into the mainstream oppressive organized medicine climate. Many times, I have met great guys who sometimes feel a bit reserved to assert opinions, maybe out of reservation. I am optimistic about this, but the change will come from inside.

Took my GRE today! Verbal 161, Quant 148 won't know about the writing score until it's official, but I'm hoping it's 5.5 like it was years ago (or maybe even a 6!!!!)

Total = 309

Just thought I'd share. Hope you guys are having a fantastic weekend! <3
Are you planning on completing a masters degree before applying for medical school?

I'm going MBA and possibly considering part-time PA school while working instead. Most PA schools only require the GRE. If I decide I want to become a doctor later in life, I want it to be a fiscally sound decision - LECOM's 3 year PA-to-DO might suit me just fine later on but for right now, I'm on a paper chase.

I'm going MBA and possibly considering part-time PA school while working instead. Most PA schools only require the GRE. If I decide I want to become a doctor later in life, I want it to be a fiscally sound decision - LECOM's 3 year PA-to-DO might suit me just fine later on but for right now, I'm on a paper chase.
Just throwing it out there....with significant cost and income differences, and if the question is timing of being a physician, the most fiscally sound option is always sooner rather than later. More years at physician inclme instead of mba/pa income.

@sb247 Cost benefit analysis says it's not worth it from a purely fiscal standpoint for my ROI.

Last edited:
A black man's weakness is a black woman. If our women/culture can create an environment where being successful is the norm then I think things will change. Also the things which we glamorize in our community needs to change. Essentially we need to take notes from the Asian and Indian community.

Honestly, there are very little (like under 3%) black people really where I live so I am not able to have a huge impact on black males except for my brothers.

Hello, I am still currently an undergraduate student. I am a sophomore in college and an African American male. I was wondering if I will have a good chance of getting into medical school if I keep up a 3.5 GPA.

Hello, I am still currently an undergraduate student. I am a sophomore in college and an African American male. I was wondering if I will have a good chance of getting into medical school if I keep up a 3.5 GPA.

In simple terms - yes.

Questions though:
What is your major? Have you started taking your pre-req classes?
Research experience?
Shadowing?
Clinical Volunteering?

This won't be for a while but your answer to the above plus your MCAT scores will heavily play into if and where you get into med school.

Yes, but that's not enough.