Missing The Key Points

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IndianBabu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
By not taking a review course, aren't you missing out on the "key points or high yield items or things that ususally appear" for each section? Having someone say this to you, and point out these critical things are important.

That being said, I really want to study on my own. And I have that drive and desire to do so this summer.

But I'm worried that I'll miss out on these key points that my friends will get when they take the course.

How do these books, like First Aid or RR compensate for this? Or am I worrying about nothing?

Members don't see this ad.

By not taking a review course, aren't you missing out on the "key points or high yield items or things that ususally appear" for each section? Having someone say this to you, and point out these critical things are important.

That being said, I really want to study on my own. And I have that drive and desire to do so this summer.

But I'm worried that I'll miss out on these key points that my friends will get when they take the course.

How do these books, like First Aid or RR compensate for this? Or am I worrying about nothing?
as a completely nonrelevant aside - everytime I want to reply to something you write, I see ur icon and for some reason, immediately lose the impulse to write anything.......a wierd pavlovian response if you will (but that would take a while to condition tho.......)

This is why God created the Goljan audio lectures.

Members don't see this ad :)
as a completely nonrelevant aside - everytime I want to reply to something you write, I see ur icon and for some reason, immediately lose the impulse to write anything.......a wierd pavlovian response if you will (but that would take a while to condition tho.......)

Well, kudos to IndianBabu, I think it takes big balls to put a pic of yourself on an internet forum...:D

Seriously, though, I read a study in a med journal from a few years ago that found no difference in the scores of students that took a prep course vs students that studied on their own. If you are disciplined, motivated, and committed, you can certainly do well on your own. If your time-management skills suck, or you find that your studying is disorganized and haphazard, then a review course is probably a good idea. Either way, your level of understanding the material is what counts at the end of the day. This transcends the resources or review course you choose.

You have a total of 4 posts buddy. :confused:

Babu, what's up, this is your old suitemate. Don't worry about the whole prep course thing, it is a bunch of BS. There have been way too many people that have done well without a commercial prep course, and way too many people that have not done well with a prep course. You are in your second year, you know what works for you, use it. Do you love class, and feel that you learn the most from it? Then liveprep it is. Do you feel class is useless, and that you need to read things on your own? Then books are the way to go. Don't worry about missing out on certain key points-the same points will be presented differently in the review books.

Best of luck to you, and hope you aren't messing around too much.