Mississippi College Masters of Medical Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drprettysmile

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody done this program (Mississippi College Masters of Medical Sciences)or will be applying to it? My appplication is being reviewed this week and I just wanted to know because I would really like to go there. Did it help anyone get into medical or dental school? Any input would be welcome! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to Miss College also. I called today, and they said that my file has been sent for review as well. Does anyone have any idea about how long it takes to receive a decision?

It looks to me about maybe 2 to 3 weeks...as soon as I did the online application they replied back very quickly and were very helpful...so I thinkwe should hear something soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an email yesterday stating that I had been accepted. Anyone else hear anything? Does anyone know how many students they accept?

Could you'll please provide me with more info about the program. I know that it is farely new, but does anyone know people who have completed the program and have gained admission into medical school?

Here is a link to the programs website
http://www.mc.edu/campus/academics/BIO/degreesgraduatemedsci%20version 1.htm
Dr. Baldwin is very helpful and will answer any question you might have...his number is on the web page. Also here http://www.mc.edu/campus/academics/BIO/news.htm
you will find the names of people that did the program.. M.S of Medical Science would appear right beside their names and you can see who got into medical and dental school from doing the program.. I hope this helps.

Has anoyone gotten accepted without the 16 hours of biology? I have completed all my dental school pre-reqs and would like to apply, but I have only completed ~10 hours of biology. If you have any information I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, do they prefer students from the southeast region of the US? Do they have deals with other states?

Thanks!

I was accepted too... just today actually... which is on the late side (?)

I don't really know what to do next.

Did the people that get accepted enroll in courses and such??

Hey,

Where are you from? I am accepted as well!

Hey,

Where are you from? I am accepted as well!

Hey!

I'm from Southern California. How about you?

Have you found an apartment yet?

Last edited:
I'm from Chicago....and I haven't found an apartment yet as I am still debating between 2 schools. I have set my decision day as Monday so I will know by then.

In terms of apartments, I am going to call today to check availability. Are you male or female? Would you possibly want to room together?

I'm female :)

I found a large one bedroom, one bath apartment really close to the school just today!

If you have a car, I don't think you'll have a hard time trying to find an apartment within driving distance. But if you're like me, without a car, then I think most apartments relatively close to campus are mostly taken. Although, I did call one apartment complex that had a two bed, one bath still available...

I haven't been to see the apartment that I signed up for but the manager tells me its large enough to share. Let me know if you do decide to go to Mississippi college. :p

I was deciding between Berkeley, Barry, and Mississippi... I decided on Mississippi because of the Master of Science degree and because the advisor, Dr. Stan Baldwin, is a professor (?) at the University of Mississippi Medical School.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any available housing in the area?

Thanks

Is it possible to take courses as a non degree seeking student here??

i was accepted here but im at barry instead.....expensive in miami. does anybody have advice who has actually completed this program or ANY smp? esp for predents with low gpas in undergrad, lol. thx.

does anyone have or had any experience with this school or know anything about it? I got accepted and I just wanted to know more about this school in a student's point of view before I make any decisions.

Does anyone plan on working while they're in this program?

Has anoyone gotten accepted without the 16 hours of biology? I have completed all my dental school pre-reqs and would like to apply, but I have only completed ~10 hours of biology. If you have any information I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, do they prefer students from the southeast region of the US? Do they have deals with other states?

Thanks!

I would like the know this as well..I am an engineering student and I hardly have room to get biology classes (let alone intro bio 1/2 plus labs..I am taking them this summer!!!!) and thus I only have 10 credits as well..

I got admission to the masters program a week ago and I am from Florida so yes, they do accept students from southeast region. I have a strong background in biological sciences... all my biological classes were bio 1 and 2, anatomy and physiology, biochem, microbio, immuno. I think what helped the most was taking some of these classes as a nondegree seeking student and doing well in them. :)

I'm currently in the program now and my classmates are from all over the United States...the program is extremely rigorous. You better bring your A game or you will be back home by Christmas.

Is there any available housing in the area?

Thanks
Did any of you find housing/ need a roommate? I'm coming there this fall too and need a place to live. I was just thinking of getting an apt there and splitting rent for ridiculously cheap.

I did the program and it was worth every penny! I know of several people getting into medical school after completing AND DOING WELL in the program. You must complete the program and do well to get into medical school. I lived at the Reserve of Woodchase apartments while in school. Its a bit expensive if you live alone but very affordable if you live with some room mates.

I did the program and it was worth every penny! I know of several people getting into medical school after completing AND DOING WELL in the program. You must complete the program and do well to get into medical school. I lived at the Reserve of Woodchase apartments while in school. Its a bit expensive if you live alone but very affordable if you live with some room mates.
Hi! I'm attending MC this fall and I am looking for somewhere to live. How did you get to class from Woodchase? Walk/Bus/Drive??? It doesn't seem too far but I'm not sure.

Thanks so much!

Hey MSUmed,

when you say DOING WELL just wondering how attainable such a grade will be? Do people who usually put the work in get good enough grades for med school or does only a few in the class actually make it?

Also just wondering what you could do if you decided to stop schooling after the masters from Mississippi College? Any further options?

Thanks

Did any of you find housing/ need a roommate? I'm coming there this fall too and need a place to live. I was just thinking of getting an apt there and splitting rent for ridiculously cheap.

Hi, I am also attending this fall and looking for a place to stay and roommates. Please let me know if any of you would be interested.

I applied to MC the first time for the spring term and didn't get accepted. I want to apply again for the fall. Can I still use my same account or do I have to make another one? When I logged on my old account, it just showed me my previous application that was sent. There's not an option to start another application using the same account?

Think your better off calling the admissions directly for that question. They are very friendly.

I applied to MC the first time for the spring term and didn't get accepted. I want to apply again for the fall. Can I still use my same account or do I have to make another one? When I logged on my old account, it just showed me my previous application that was sent. There's not an option to start another application using the same account?
Hi there. I applied last year but decided not to go.

I reapplied this year with a new application but did not send in any materials such as transcripts and test scores since they already had it on file.

Call and check to see what they still have in your file but I do think you'll have to fill out a new application.

I am applying to this program but my question is where do you send the supporting materials like MCAT scores a transcripts? There isn't a complete address. Should they be sent electronically?

I am applying to this program but my question is where do you send the supporting materials like MCAT scores a transcripts? There isn't a complete address. Should they be sent electronically?

Assuming I don't get accepted to any DO schools this application season, I will be attending here next year. Good luck, it seems like a great program.

Graduate Office
Box 4029
Clinton, MS 39058

Assuming I don't get accepted to any DO schools this application season, I will be attending here next year. Good luck, it seems like a great program.

Graduate Office
Box 4029
Clinton, MS 39058

I was kind of hoping to confirm the street address.... my stuff will not send without it. Is it the 200 south capitol street address?

I was kind of hoping to confirm the street address.... my stuff will not send without it. Is it the 200 south capitol street address?

ahh I see what youre saying. I was able to use just the Box 4029 address to send all my stuff but I am guessing if you use their main address with the box 4029 underneath, the post office would know who to send it to. Otherwise, give Debbie Depriest a call or shoot her an email. She is very helpful

[email protected]
601-925-3261

ahh I see what youre saying. I was able to use just the Box 4029 address to send all my stuff but I am guessing if you use their main address with the box 4029 underneath, the post office would know who to send it to. Otherwise, give Debbie Depriest a call or shoot her an email. She is very helpful

[email protected]
601-925-3261

Thanks I am pretty sure that is where it needs to go. Did you UPS your MCAT score report to them or did you email it to them?

Thanks I am pretty sure that is where it needs to go. Did you UPS your MCAT score report to them or did you email it to them?

I printed it off and mailed it to them. In total, I think it took about 3 weeks for them to receive everything and make a decision and the only reason it took 3 was because they were on spring break when they got my stuff.

What semester are you applying for if you don't mind me asking?

I printed it off and mailed it to them. In total, I think it took about 3 weeks for them to receive everything and make a decision and the only reason it took 3 was because they were on spring break when they got my stuff.

What semester are you applying for if you don't mind me asking?

I got ahold of Debbie. She was more then happy to help me out. I am applying for fall.

Just marked Complete... fingers crossed this program looks awesome:xf::xf::xf: Would love to go here and spend a year in the "South" ( You would get the irony if you look at my location)...

You will get in...just be sure to add yourself to the 2012-2013 facebook group for MC Medical Science graduate students

You will get in...just be sure to add yourself to the 2012-2013 facebook group for MC Medical Science graduate students

I hope your right sir.... I kind of wish you where making the decision that way I could know by today, I was told due to the holiday I may not even hear back until next friday at best. I also doubt Tufts will let me in or I will get off the waitlist for EVMS or U Cinni. I will add myself to the group as soon as I get that letter giving me the :thumbup: until then.... I am just going to chill and work on secondaries for med school:cool:

This may have already been answered, but how many students do they accept each year?

Was told today by Mark that I am complete and under review and I should get a decision in about a week to two weeks...

Hey I just applied within the last week which I know was a late application because I received my MCAT grade recently. I was just curious as to what stats people were gettin accepted into with. I got about a 3.2 cGPA and 2.8sGPA with a 28R MCAT score. I kind of wanna get a hint on my chances because I applied to a few other post bacc programs as well.

Hey I just applied within the last week which I know was a late application because I received my MCAT grade recently. I was just curious as to what stats people were gettin accepted into with. I got about a 3.2 cGPA and 2.8sGPA with a 28R MCAT score. I kind of wanna get a hint on my chances because I applied to a few other post bacc programs as well.

Not too sure but you are well above their cut off so you should have a good shot.

As far as I understand, they don't do grade replacement but they do consider your retakes, so I don't know if those GPAs you listed are AMCAS or AACOMAS. With that said, my gpas were lower than yours, same MCAT, and I was accepted. As long as there is room, I think you will be fine. Admissions are rolling though because you can start during any semester, not just fall. So you could always apply for Spring 2013 if you don't get in for fall. good luck

Of those accepted to this program that are still paying attention to this thread, did you get an email letting you know you were accepted or should I watch the snail mail box?

Thanks

Of those accepted to this program that are still paying attention to this thread, did you get an email letting you know you were accepted or should I watch the snail mail box?

Thanks

Email from Debbie DePriest and a formal letter in the mail about three days later.