Mississippi College Masters of Medical Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello all, I'm working through finishing my app right now. Curious as to the timing of the program. If I want to start med school in fall of 2015, would it be possible to complete this program starting fall semester? If not, when does the summer semester start? Can't find any info on the site...

It is possible but I really wouldn't recommend it. It would require you to take 33 hours by next June because some schools want your degree done by July 1. Summer starts right around Memorial Day. I know that I applied around the beginning of May and was able to start that summer.

Here's the summer schedule. http://www.mc.edu/offices/registrar/files/2113/9335/9880/2014_Summer_Academic_Calendar_1.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

Between this program and theWilliam Carey MBS program, is one better than the other for a premed, postbach student? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are your goals? State residency?

MC is known and accepted for its academic rigor throughout the South. Here is a list of schools that students have been accepted to. It's from 2012 so these students are finishing MS/OMS 2 right now. http://www.mc.edu/academics/departments/biology/index.php/graduates/past-graduates/2012-graduates/
I'm actually a NY resident. I'm still waiting to hear back from some other programs closer to home but these are my options so far. My goal is medical school. MD or DO.

I'm actually a NY resident. I'm still waiting to hear back from some other programs closer to home but these are my options so far. My goal is medical school. MD or DO.
There were many students from all over the country when I went through the program. Michigan, California, the Northeast, Alaska, and everywhere in between with lots from the South. There were many acceptances to both PCOMs as well as the LSUs, UMMC (MS's medical school) and Wm Carey. Completing a program down here will give you a definite advantage to admission to a medical school in the South, if you wish to stay down here for medical school.

I have a question regarding the application cycle.

When do students submit applications for medical/dental/etc?

Seems like many students go through Fall - Spring - Summer semesters from what I understood.

Do people start the application preparation process in summer along with the course loads?

Or do people wait for the next summer to start the application?

Yes, it would have been nice if one started the program in Summer, but what are the suggested route for people starting in Fall?

Excuse me if somebody has already asked this in the past!

Seems like many students go through Fall - Spring - Summer semesters from what I understood.

Do people start the application preparation process in summer along with the course loads?

Yes, it would have been nice if one started the program in Summer, but what are the suggested route for people starting in Fall?

Many people actually spend 2 years taking classes. Your goal is to do well and get into professional school; not how fast you can finish.

There are those who do fall, spring and finish the following summer. They then matriculate in the fall. But you already need a good package to begin with or else you won't get consideration for your fall grades until Jan/Feb. By then many schools are interviewing for the wait list.

Those that do the best and get the best offers for professional school take 2 years to go through the program (or 3 long semesters at least). So they would apply next year (2015) to matriculate in fall 2016. I'm not sure if I'm answering your question well enough.

It all depends on what your individual application looks right now. Applications vary from person to person. Some people have very poor applications that need more time, some are right on the cusp of acceptance before entering this program. Talk to your admissions dean.

If you have a decent MCAT and a borderline GPA, then it would make sense to apply now and update them with you grades as you advance through the year. If you need to do some serious GPA repair then It would probably be in your best interest to apply the following Summer after a year's worth of coursework.

If you are applying to LSU-NO (and most likely applies to in-state applicants or those with serious connections to the Gulf South) then they need to see 29 hours of course work before they replace your undergrad GPA with your graduate post-bacc GPA. LSU-Shreveport does not do this system exactly, but still take into consideration how well you are performing. It all depends on the schools you are applying to so contact them.

Hey everyone, just registered for fall classes, decided on Med phys I and II. Is this enough, too much, right on for the first semester? In the spring id like to take gross with something else if anyone has any recommendations. I'm trying to roughly map out a plan.

Just gave up my spot in the program. Good luck to anyone who gets it!

Hey everyone, just registered for fall classes, decided on Med phys I and II. Is this enough, too much, right on for the first semester? In the spring id like to take gross with something else if anyone has any recommendations. I'm trying to roughly map out a plan.
Have you joined the Facebook group? You'll get a lot more input there about classes. If you don't have FB, you might want it just for the Med Sci program. It's used quite a bit among the classes. The professors use them quite a bit to get information out quickly.

Does anyone know the chances of getting accepted to this program with a 3.5 GPA and an MCAT score that is on the lower end? I called the other day, and there are still some open spots, but I'm not sure with my record what my chances of getting accepted are

Does anyone know the chances of getting accepted to this program with a 3.5 GPA and an MCAT score that is on the lower end? I called the other day, and there are still some open spots, but I'm not sure with my record what my chances of getting accepted are

It tends to be that if you have the stats, you're in. I don't feel that admission is very competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
It tends to be that if you have the stats, you're in. I don't feel that admission is very competitive.

I saw that on an earlier post that you were accepted to LSU Shreveport for Medical School? I know that they are well informed on this program and the benefits of it, did you apply to LSUNO or any other schools in the gulf state, and if so did you feel that the program was well recognized there? I've seen that for the most part gulf states knew about the program, but I'm curious if the reputation is improving.

I have not been accepted yet, but I am starting to debate which class combinations would be best. I've seen suggested taking Neuro and Histo together for the first semester. What does medical physiology pair well with? I absolutely hated histo in undergrad, and I'm hesitant to take it for the first semester. I doubled up my science load most semesters in undergrad with success in the upper levels. I know the academic level is much more difficult here, but getting out from August to August would be a major plus for me.

I saw that on an earlier post that you were accepted to LSU Shreveport for Medical School? I know that they are well informed on this program and the benefits of it, did you apply to LSUNO or any other schools in the gulf state, and if so did you feel that the program was well recognized there? I've seen that for the most part gulf states knew about the program, but I'm curious if the reputation is improving.

I have not been accepted yet, but I am starting to debate which class combinations would be best. I've seen suggested taking Neuro and Histo together for the first semester. What does medical physiology pair well with? I absolutely hated histo in undergrad, and I'm hesitant to take it for the first semester. I doubled up my science load most semesters in undergrad with success in the upper levels. I know the academic level is much more difficult here, but getting out from August to August would be a major plus for me.

I applied to both LSUs and William Carey. I withdrew from both once I was accepted at S'port. I didn't apply any further away because I have a family and needed to apply where my husband can get a job. I feel that the program is relatively well known throughout the South. I know of several students that just finished OMS-1 at PCOM-GA. I believe it is a huge feeder program for LSU-NO, LSU-S, and UMMC, though the only one that accepts OOS students is LSU-NO.

I would start with 1 5-hour class for the first semester plus 1 or 2 3-hour classes. That puts you at 8-11 hours. Then take 2 5s in the spring once you've figured out how to do well in the program. You can easily take 17 hours in the summer (3 in Maymester, 6 each in both summer sessions and grad seminar). We all came to MC because we had poor grades so it's better to take fewer classes when you're getting your feet wet and then double up the next semester.

Once you're accepted, I would definitely join the Facebook group. They have more up to date information than I have. And you'll get more than enough opinions on what to take and when.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! Happy July 4th! I was recently accepted for the fall and am looking forward to this program since it sounds like it will be challenging and prepare me for medical school. I am OOS and am curious how many others are too?

Is it really bad to start off taking two 5 credit classes or does it just depend on the combo? Looking at some of the previous posts, I am considering just doing one 5 credit to get a feel for the course load.

So I just received my acceptance today. However PCOM's program start next week. Anybody have any insight comparing these two programs. Does MC offer guarantee acceptance into their medical school if I do well?

So I just received my acceptance today. However PCOM's program start next week. Anybody have any insight comparing these two programs. Does MC offer guarantee acceptance into their medical school if I do well?
MC doesn't have a medical school.

A couple more things:

1) How many people start during the summer/Maymester? Would anyone advise for or against it?

2) Not that I'm planning on partying that much, but how's the nightlife in Jackson?

What are chances for this program?
uGPA 3.56
sGPA 3.40
GRE 299 (V+Q)
Tons of shadowing and volunteering experiences at hospitals.
I am applying for Fall 2015.

It'll be great if I ca have some input?
Very interested in this program especially because it gives you the opportunity to take the Shelf Exams.
Thanks.

What are chances for this program?
uGPA 3.56
sGPA 3.40
GRE 299 (V+Q)
Tons of shadowing and volunteering experiences at hospitals.
I am applying for Fall 2015.

It'll be great if I ca have some input?
Very interested in this program especially because it gives you the opportunity to take the Shelf Exams.
Thanks.

I got accepted to "The Program" with a 3.0 bachelors GPA and no mcat. I made a 302 GRE(144/158--didnt study for test at all). Basically they will accept almost anyone. You have to really suck to not get accepted. My stats suck but they are good compared to normal degrees, but that's all relative. Idk if you started the program or not but it is awesome. It's hard as F***!!!! but it taught me sooooo much. I feel like I could go and practice right now with some M4s and give them a run for their money. You have to take Gross and Neuro..they are awesome...Med phys, in my opinion, not worth the GPA risk because it is a "you get it or you don't" class. The main point is the GPA. LSUS wants a 3.6 or better. But you are basically guaranteed an acceptance with a 3.8-4.0. My friends(7) have gotten in with 3.8+(3 with 4.0s). 3 I know only had 23/24 mcats. Don't listen to the idiots who say you have to have this or that. Literally you can have anything as long as its above a 3.4 and above a 20. LSUNO doesnt care how many times you take the MCAT, but LSUS does. LSUS takes an average. I got that straight from the deans' mouths of both schools. Shelf exams are great...I loved them..if you make about a 500 on the shelf then you get bumped up a letter grade. There are things called "high yields" that you must get in order to make great grades in Neuro and Gross. They are just things that consistently come up on tests. If you dont get them then you will never make a 95+..so you are already missing out...but you can make A's on all tests if you really study your butt off. I have much more I can tell you but I dont know if I am wasting your time. If you want to know everything I know about the program I will tell you, just ask if you want to know.

Reactions: 5 users
I got accepted to "The Program" with a 3.0 bachelors GPA and no mcat. I made a 302 GRE(144/158--didnt study for test at all). Basically they will accept almost anyone. You have to really suck to not get accepted. My stats suck but they are good compared to normal degrees, but that's all relative. Idk if you started the program or not but it is awesome. It's hard as F***!!!! but it taught me sooooo much. I feel like I could go and practice right now with some M4s and give them a run for their money. You have to take Gross and Neuro..they are awesome...Med phys, in my opinion, not worth the GPA risk because it is a "you get it or you don't" class. The main point is the GPA. LSUS wants a 3.6 or better. But you are basically guaranteed an acceptance with a 3.8-4.0. My friends(7) have gotten in with 3.8+(3 with 4.0s). 3 I know only had 23/24 mcats. Don't listen to the idiots who say you have to have this or that. Literally you can have anything as long as its above a 3.4 and above a 20. LSUNO doesnt care how many times you take the MCAT, but LSUS does. LSUS takes an average. I got that straight from the deans' mouths of both schools. Shelf exams are great...I loved them..if you make about a 500 on the shelf then you get bumped up a letter grade. There are things called "high yields" that you must get in order to make great grades in Neuro and Gross. They are just things that consistently come up on tests. If you dont get them then you will never make a 95+..so you are already missing out...but you can make A's on all tests if you really study your butt off. I have much more I can tell you but I dont know if I am wasting your time. If you want to know everything I know about the program I will tell you, just ask if you want to know.
I want to know more lol. I was accepted to this program and will be going if my first choice falls through.

I have to chip in to this thread. I was originally someone that was easily overlooked by medical schools due to my weak undergrad GPA. However, due to this program, the Mississippi College Master of Medical Science Program that is, I was able to show schools that I could take a rigorous course load and succeed. Granted, this program really WAS difficult, and was harder than anything I did during my undergrad years. The professors really prepare you well (Dr. Baldwin and Dr. Brandon are some of the best professors I was able to learn under). Though my graduate grades did not replace my poor undergrad grades, they did serve the purpose of demonstrating my academic ability to admissions committees. I was eventually accepted to a US MD program, and I attribute my success largely to performing well and working hard down at Mississippi College.

A very insightful post. I'll be starting here in the Fall if I don't get into KCUMB'S masters program. I was wondering about LSUS and LSUNO. When applying to these schools after doing well in the masters (3.5 to 3.6 or higher) basically wipe away a poor undergraduate GPA? Or will that poor UG GPA still hold a person back no matter how well they did in the masters?

Thanks for your time.

I have to chip in to this thread. I was originally someone that was easily overlooked by medical schools due to my weak undergrad GPA. However, due to this program, the Mississippi College Master of Medical Science Program that is, I was able to show schools that I could take a rigorous course load and succeed. Granted, this program really WAS difficult, and was harder than anything I did during my undergrad years. The professors really prepare you well (Dr. Baldwin and Dr. Brandon are some of the best professors I was able to learn under). Though my graduate grades did not replace my poor undergrad grades, they did serve the purpose of demonstrating my academic ability to admissions committees. I was eventually accepted to a US MD program, and I attribute my success largely to performing well and working hard down at Mississippi College.
Congrats on your acceptance! I hope that I can be in your shoes in a couple of years.

If you don't mind could you answer a few questions for me? I was wondering how poor your UG GPA was (I understand if you don't want to share that). I ask because my GPA for allopathic schools is horrible, well below 3.0 for both science and cumulative. But my GPA for osteopathic schools is reasonable, 3.0 for both because of grade replacement. Do you think I could have a shot at a allopathic medical school if I do well in the Masters program?

I have a couple questions about this program. A little background first: I'm currently a junior majoring in chemical engineering. cGPA- 3.1 sGPA-2.75 MCAT-27. I am applying to UMC this cycle but I was told by and adcom that my gpa is too low coupled with my average MCAT could leave me without an offer from them. I'm considering this program as a backup to not getting in this cycle. Here are my questions:

1) I would going into this planning to complete in one year. When would I need to reapply to med schools? The summer before starting in the fall? Or the summer I would be completing? (The reason I ask is because if I needed to wait until nearly completing the program that would essentially result in me taking 2 gap years)
2) My college does a committee letter for medical school applicants. Does MC do something similar?
3) I was looking at MC's campus map earlier and was curious which building the medical sciences program operates out of? Gross lab, etc.

Thanks for your help!

Can anyone share how much money they spent on this program for the whole year including food, transportation, and housing? My financial aid was only 20,500. No way is that going to be enough, it doesn't even cover tuition. I'm coming from Hawaii so I'll have to get a car too. I'm leaving the car I have now behind in Hawaii for my wife to use.

Any info is appreciated!

A very insightful post. I'll be starting here in the Fall if I don't get into KCUMB'S masters program. I was wondering about LSUS and LSUNO. When applying to these schools after doing well in the masters (3.5 to 3.6 or higher) basically wipe away a poor undergraduate GPA? Or will that poor UG GPA still hold a person back no matter how well they did in the masters?

Thanks for your time.
Idk if someone already told you this but at LSUS and NO yea it basically wipes away all your undergrad stuff. If you get a 3.9-4.0 basically LSUS will accept you almost automatically. Everyone I know, 4 people, who got a 4.0 or 3.9 and applied there with 23-25 mcats got accepted.

Idk if someone already told you this but at LSUS and NO yea it basically wipes away all your undergrad stuff. If you get a 3.9-4.0 basically LSUS will accept you almost automatically. Everyone I know, 4 people, who got a 4.0 or 3.9 and applied there with 23-25 mcats got accepted.
Does this apply to out of state applicants too?

It all depends on their computer program for how they weed out people. Example, my friend didn't even have her application looked at because she didn't reach their minimum. She had a 28 MCAT and 3.39 science and overall gpa. They told her if she had a 3.4 then she would have been looked at. That was at the Ole miss med school. So it really depends on the school and your individual case. Don't let anyone tell you schools only accept this MCAT or that gpa because they don't know. But I think most schools do have some type of undergrad forgiveness if you have grad school experience.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I just finished talking to the Dean of the program, Dr. Stan Baldwin. He said for my first semester he feels I should take one of these two combinations of courses (Medical Physiology 1 and Medical Physiology 2) or (Neuroanatomy and Histology). What do you guys think?

Hi everyone. I just finished talking to the Dean of the program, Dr. Stan Baldwin. He said for my first semester he feels I should take one of these two combinations of courses (Medical Physiology 1 and Medical Physiology 2) or (Neuroanatomy and Histology). What do you guys think?

Dr. Baldwin thinks everything is doable. It's like Michael Jordan saying why can't you score 40 points a game??! He's a genius. I don't recommend doing that. If you are going to double up I would wait until your second semester to do it just so you will have an idea about the demand. Med phys one is the hardest class. Just try and remember why you are there....to have a great gpa. Don't overload yourself and screw up your gpa because a 5-hour B is not very forgiving. It's doable but I just don't think it's something you jump into without a fair amount of thought. Dr Baldwin tells people to take Neuro and gross together which is damn near impossible to get two As or even two Bs out of, but he tells people to do it.

Dr. Baldwin thinks everything is doable. It's like Michael Jordan saying why can't you score 40 points a game??! He's a genius. I don't recommend doing that. If you are going to double up I would wait until your second semester to do it just so you will have an idea about the demand. Med phys one is the hardest class. Just try and remember why you are there....to have a great gpa. Don't overload yourself and screw up your gpa because a 5-hour B is not very forgiving. It's doable but I just don't think it's something you jump into without a fair amount of thought. Dr Baldwin tells people to take Neuro and gross together which is damn near impossible to get two As or even two Bs out of, but he tells people to do it.
What about Neuroanatomy and Histology at the same time? He wants me to take Gross Anatomy in the Spring.

What about Neuroanatomy and Histology at the same time? He wants me to take Gross Anatomy in the Spring.

He wants you to? Hmm ok. Well Neuro and histo is the most doable combo of the 5-hours but that's a lot. It's doable in the beginning and then more and more and more gets piled on and by that time I hope you won't be too far behind. You cannot always be on top of it. Because being in Neuro and histo you will have a histo 3-hour lecture on one day and a 3-hour Neuro lecture on another so you will get behind and soon as you hit those two lectures. That's not mentioning the other 4 lectures you will have a week in those classes that are an hour each and lab for histo is 3 hours long a week. You will be in class/lab 13+ hours a week. Do what you want though. If you have to be done in a year then yeah I would do Neuro and histo.

I am starting the program this Fall. I was thinking of doing Gross Anatomy and Medical Physiology 1. Is this too much? I am hoping to start medical school next fall and finish the program the summer of 2016.

I am starting the program this Fall. I was thinking of doing Gross Anatomy and Medical Physiology 1. Is this too much? I am hoping to start medical school next fall and finish the program the summer of 2016.

I read that and started laughing because once you get in the program you will realize that that is an impossible combination. It would be ridiculously hard and if anyone got 2 As in those two classes together then they should be automatically given an MD. It's just the load of those two courses is wayyy too much. It's not too much to pass like in med school, but it's too much to get As unless you are a crazy smart person. But I doubt that you are since you are going to this program. No offense. I'm not saying you aren't smart but that's 14 hours of the two hardest classes you will ever take in your life by shear load. It's not like 14 hours in undergrad which is a breeze.

I read that and started laughing because once you get in the program you will realize that that is an impossible combination. It would be ridiculously hard and if anyone got 2 As in those two classes together then they should be automatically given an MD. It's just the load of those two courses is wayyy too much. It's not too much to pass like in med school, but it's too much to get As unless you are a crazy smart person. But I doubt that you are since you are going to this program. No offense. I'm not saying you aren't smart but that's 14 hours of the two hardest classes you will ever take in your life by shear load. It's not like 14 hours in undergrad which is a breeze.
Thanks for being the voice of this thread and keeping it going. You've given out very valuable advice.

Thanks for the advise. I appreciate your honesty. I think I'm going to do Gross and a 2 credit hour class like cell bio or something fairly similar. My goal is to do well so that I can compensate for my undergraduate GPA. My goal is to finish next summer so I might start this summer by taking at least one class.

Thanks for the advise. I appreciate your honesty. I think I'm going to do Gross and a 2 credit hour class like cell bio or something fairly similar. My goal is to do well so that I can compensate for my undergraduate GPA. My goal is to finish next summer so I might start this summer by taking at least one class.

Yes I absolutely recommended taking as many summer classes as you can. I took 17 hours one summer. All As. It's a little more comparable to undergrad, summer that is. You learn a lot and it's not as hard. I suggest reiken's mitochondrial genomics class, any and all Graves classes, and any online course.
As far as the fall, I think gross and a 2 or 3 hour would be a good start. I suggest cell phys with reiken or med genetics or graves. Grave med micro would be the best 3 hour option for an A.

Any course selection advise for someone starting the program in the spring semester and applying to med school after summer semester?

I think it depends on how long you plan on being there. I didn't care if I was there for a year or more because it was about quality over quantity. But some of my friends wanted to get out asap so they took two 5 hours in one semester. That's definitely the hardest route to go. I definitely think people should take their time and use the school as not only a place to take a step forward, but a place to learn about yourself. I learned a lot about myself. I know that it was a good idea for me to take my time and take one 5 hour(plus other 3 hours) a semester. It helped me grow. There are generally 2 types of people that go to the program: people who are very smart but just didnt care in undergrad and people like me, who weren't mentally mature/capable enough to handle the content and demands of undergrad. So people in the former category can probably just load up and take the fastest route, but people in the latter category like myself need time. Soooo I would first decide who you think you are and try your best to determine what you need, then pick classes based on what I'm about to tell you.
Gross anatomy- high volume course, hardest most time-consuming course. But it's amazing.
Med phys 1 -hardest class by content. Some math involved. Very difficult. I liked the class until I dropped it but it was a class that my mind didn't catch very easily. People love it and I know it helps tremendously for the MCAT.
I don't suggest doubling up with either one of those. And when I say "I don't suggest" I am basically saying for the love of God don't do that to yourself. Remember why you are going there, A's!!
Neuro - the best class there in my mind besides gross. Sooo awesome. Dr. Baldwin teaches it and med phys 1.
Med phys 2- boring. Lol
Pharm - during the summer only.
Histo - covers a lot of things that you will be exposed to in all the classes offered at mc. It's a great class. Lab is kinda boring but it's good.
As far as all the 3 hours are concerned I would say take all the Graves classes you can, then Sample if he is still there, then reiken, then Carmicle. I took med gen(Sample), cell phys(Carmicle-now Reiken), immuno(Norcross), mycology(graves), food and water micro(graves), mitochondrial genomics(reiken), and virology(sample). Immuno was not too hard, but it was a good bit of info to add on to my 5 hour plus med gen on top of that. I took 17 hours over the summer. All As. Summer is pretty easy.
So I guess here are some pairings I suggest:
Histo + 1-2 3 hours for your 1st semester
Histo, cell phys, med gen
Histo, immuno, seminar
Histo, virology, cell phys
Histo is a good starter class.

Gross plus 1 3 hour or just gross for semester 2 OR
Neuro plus 2 3-hour classes for semester 2
Med phys + one 3 hour

If you want to stack two 5-hours(med school courses) then this is the order I would say do it in if you really want to:
Histo Neuro - by far the easiest combo like that but doubling 5 hours is very very hard, but people do it and they are successful, but I'm not willing to risk it myself
Histo med phys 2
Med phys 1 and 2
Med phys 1 and neuro(very hard-but my friend is in it now and doing well- again it depends on you, but the majority will say no, don't do it)
These combos I'm about to list are not smart at all to do. Like do not do it unless you have to for some reason.
Gross and Neuro
Gross and med phys 1 or 2
Gross and histo
One of my friends did gross and med phys 2 because he dropped a five hour one fall and had to make up the hours in the spring. He got two Bs. I know two girls who got two Cs because they did gross and Neuro. But dr. Baldwin will actually suggest that combo. lolol.

DO NOT MAKE ANYTHING LOWER THAN A B IN THE MED SCHOOL CLASSES. DONT DO IT!! It makes a hole that's not easy to get out of. I suggest only making B+s or better. Sometimes you can kind of choose how you want to allocate your time. Like somewhat neglect or completely neglect your 3 hours. I would take an A in a 5 hour and a C in a 3 hour over a B in the 5 and A in the 3. Mathematically it makes sense to choose the A, C. Live to fight another day!

Hope that helps.

Hey guys! I'm a current student in the program and can also help answer questions (in between studying for finals lol). I started last fall and expect to be done after this summer. @intothefray2010 has already made most of the important points. I would also like to add that Gross Anatomy is an 8 credit course and Med Phys 1 is now a 6 credit course. So you really don't want to earn anything less than a B+ in these courses because they can dramatically affect your GPA. This program will definitely prepare you for medical school or other professional school of choice, but you will have to work hard. I should also mention that it appears some courses have become a little harder this semester than last fall. For example, Histology has undergone some changes but I believe it is still one of the most doable med school courses.

I have a couple questions about this program. A little background first: I'm currently a junior majoring in chemical engineering. cGPA- 3.1 sGPA-2.75 MCAT-27. I am applying to UMC this cycle but I was told by and adcom that my gpa is too low coupled with my average MCAT could leave me without an offer from them. I'm considering this program as a backup to not getting in this cycle. Here are my questions:

1) I would going into this planning to complete in one year. When would I need to reapply to med schools? The summer before starting in the fall? Or the summer I would be completing? (The reason I ask is because if I needed to wait until nearly completing the program that would essentially result in me taking 2 gap years)
2) My college does a committee letter for medical school applicants. Does MC do something similar?
3) I was looking at MC's campus map earlier and was curious which building the medical sciences program operates out of? Gross lab, etc.

Thanks for your help!

- If you're trying to matriculate into med school for 2016, you would have to apply this summer. But think through it carefully. At most, med schools would only be able to see your performance from the fall semester (if they're willing to wait).
- MC doesn't do a committee letter, but professors do write individual letters.
- The main 2 buildings are Hederman and the Medical Sciences building, which are connected. The Medical Sciences building might not be on the online campus map.

I believe LSU-S only accepts in state residents. LSU-NO takes out of state applicants though.

This is pretty much what I did. I'm currently in Gross and I did the Neuro and Histo combo last fall. As @intothefray2010 stated, this is the most doable 5 hr combo but it will still take a lot of hard work and many hours of studying. It really did feel like a juggling act. There were definitely times when I spent more time studying for one course over the other and had to play catch up later. But thankfully, things worked out well for me in the end. The good thing with all of the med school courses is that the courses are set up so the first exam doesn't really hurt your grade if you don't do well on it and you can see what you're getting yourself into.

What's the difference between Med Phy 1 & 2 besides 1 has a lab to it?
Med Phy 2, Med. Mico & Immuno for a semester, does this sound doable? or it's too much of a load?

What's the difference between Med Phy 1 & 2 besides 1 has a lab to it?
Med Phy 2, Med. Mico & Immuno for a semester, does this sound doable? or it's too much of a load?
There are different systems taught in Med Phys 1 and 2. Med Phys 1 involves the physiology of the osmolarity, lung, neurophysiology, kidney, and cardiology. Med Phys 2 involves the physiology of the endocrine, gastrointestinal, and hematological systems.

I have not personally taken these courses but I do know that Med Phys 2 is easier than 1. Everyone tells me that Med Micro is an easy A. I've heard Immuno can be challenging but if you've taken a similar course in undergrad, I'm sure you'll be fine. If you are confident in your time management and study skills, I think this is a pretty solid schedule.

@CourageMD thanks for answering our questions! That helps out a lot. I just have a couple more for you, if you don't mind.

What are the summer course offerings like? Month long terms or is the June thru July? Also, where do most participants live if they aren't planning to live in Clinton? I am thinking about getting a house in Jackson maybe since I plan on attending UMC after this program. If I need to take a lag year after completing this SMP, what do student typically do for that year before hopefully starting medical school? Thanks again!