Mississippi College Masters of Medical Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm wondering the same. I submitted all my documents on Oct. 26th. Still haven't been given a response.

Seems like I actually applied and submitted all necessary documents on the exact same date (October 26th) as yourself. And likewise, have yet to hear any sort of response regarding admission decision from MC. Now that it has been over a month and still haven't heard anything back, the anticipation is starting to become somewhat anxiety-inducing unfortunately lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

Has anyone who submitted the application for the MC Medical Sciences program for the Spring 2016 semester receive admission decision?
I submitted mine about a month ago and I was just wondering if anyone else received the decision.

Any luck yet on hearing anything back from MC College? I also applied for their Medical Sciences program for the Spring 2016 semester about little over a month ago and have yet to hear any decision back.

I received my acceptance email this morning.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied mid September for Spring 2016 and heard nothing until last week when I got a phone call saying my app was missing a grade sheet (first time hearing about it). I downloaded it, completed it, and mailed it overnight. I got an acceptance call today.

Any luck yet on hearing anything back from MC College? I also applied for their Medical Sciences program for the Spring 2016 semester about little over a month ago and have yet to hear any decision back.

got my acceptance email in the morning 2 days ago

Any non-psychopaths out there need a roommate? I make amazing French toast.

Reactions: 1 users
Any non-psychopaths out there need a roommate? I make amazing French toast.

If you are looking for a roommate or have questions about the program (ie classes) join the facebook group.

Reactions: 1 user
I searched through this thread and found out that the deposit is refundable.
Anyone know how much the deposit is? I'm applying for the Fall term and trying to create a financial plan :)

I searched through this thread and found out that the deposit is refundable.
Anyone know how much the deposit is? I'm applying for the Fall term and trying to create a financial plan :)

When you get accepted it will say how much the deposit is in the email or letter. I believe it is about $250 though. Go on the program's website and call the Dept of Biology for exact amount.

This is additional information about financial aid just in case someone is looking
From my understanding everyone gets 20,000 per year, thus your refund is based on how much credit you take per semester. Tuition I believe is about $650 per credit. In addition, if you have a decent credit you should quality for the graduate plus loan ( most people do). The graduate plus loan allows individuals to take out the maximum to cover cost of living and other things. I would suggest looking on the program's/financial aid website for cost and also calling financial aid as they will be able to provide you with the most updated information.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's easier said than done, still waiting for my request to be approved.

I believe if you don't know anyone in the group than only the administrator gets the notification. I would give it a few days to hear back.

Anyone know how "Bio6562 research" works?
Does the school provide any real opportunity to do research?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know how "Bio6562 research" works?
Does the school provide any real opportunity to do research?
You'll have to approach professors individually and ask to join their research team. This is not a research institution so there's no curing cancer or anything like that. But you will learn applicable techniques such as sterile tissue culture, PCR, Westerns, etc.

Just got my acceptance for fall 2016! So excited and happy to have a solid plan in place for this upcoming year!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone,

College Station apartments are now available for rent in downtown Clinton (fairly close to campus).
Few things about them:
  1. Fully furnished kitchen (i.e. fridge, stove, microwave, dishwasher)
  2. Washer and dryer furnished
  3. Only 1 bedroom apartments
  4. Rent for these apartment is higher than average, but well worth it.
Here is the link to the website where you will find more info and pictures
http://www.therileygroupclinton.com/college-station.html

Let me know if you have any questions

I just applied yesterday to the MS program. I'm from Indiana and have never visited Mississippi. Hoping to be accepted and attend this program, I've heard amazing things! How is the area around Mississippi College?

Just got my acceptance today!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Great! Have you heard back ?

I did. Did anyone else?

I'm a bit confused about how the summer start works. Does starting in the summer instead of the fall/spring effectively mean we can't take Pharmacology I/II within the 12 month period since they have prerequisites of Medical Physiology I/II?

I did. Did anyone else?

I'm a bit confused about how the summer start works. Does starting in the summer instead of the fall/spring effectively mean we can't take Pharmacology I/II within the 12 month period since they have prerequisites of Medical Physiology I/II?

I have been accepted for this summer 2016! :)

few questions for current students

1. Can anyone speak on the troubles a previous poster mentioned about receiving their loan $?
2. Also referencing a previous poster (can't remember who now), how lenient is the school on assignments/test dates if a student receives interviews
3. How are the facilities themselves, computer labs, etc? (Have an older computer and wonder if I will need to rely on it)
4. Do many people have trouble securing an apt due to being unemployed? Never had this issue before, but I'd like to know how common this is around the campus
5. Are there many people who leave the program before finishing due to being accepted into med/dental school

Last edited:
When did you apply and for the summer program or the fall program?

I applied for the summer program! I submitted everything about 2 weeks ago!

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the deadline is for paying to save our seat? I'm still waiting to hear back from a couple of places before I decide...

Do any current students suggest using an iPad/tablet for note taking? Or are they any other recommendations?

Where are some good places to rent an apartment?

Last edited:
Search "The Riley Group" in Clinton, MS. It seems like most of the students from the program stay at one of the apartment complex owned by them. Also the "Reserve at Woodchase" are nice apartments where some students also stay at. All very close to the school.

Where are some good places to rent an apartment?

few questions for current students

1. Can anyone speak on the troubles a previous poster mentioned about receiving their loan $?
2. Also referencing a previous poster (can't remember who now), how lenient is the school on assignments/test dates if a student receives interviews
3. How are the facilities themselves, computer labs, etc? (Have an older computer and wonder if I will need to rely on it)
4. Do many people have trouble securing an apt due to being unemployed? Never had this issue before, but I'd like to know how common this is around the campus
5. Are there many people who leave the program before finishing due to being accepted into med/dental school

1. I don't know many people who had issues with their loan money. But, you don't get a refund until the last day to drop classes, which is about a month after classes start.
2. All of the professors are all about you getting into professional school, so they are extremely lenient when it comes to interviews.
4. Most apartment complexes know about the program at MC, so if you tell them that you will be paying with your loans, they should be okay.
3. I know two people who tried to leave the program early, and the med school/dental school said no. They had to stay and re apply. But, I also know of cases where Dr. Baldwin worked with the students to have them graduate on time. I think nowadays, since many programs know about this program, they prefer that you apply once you are getting ready to finish. If you have to delay applying one year, you definitely should.

I'm a Louisiana resident that graduated from LSU, and I am thinking about applying to this program. One thing I noticed, however, is that many graduates seem to get accepted to the University of Mississippi Medical School.

I'm curious - if I became a Mississippi resident and finished this program, I would be able to apply to UMMC. Would doing this hurt my chances at LSU Shreveport and New Orleans, given that I am an LSU graduate? It seems that becoming a resident of Mississippi would allow me to apply to UMMC while only maybe minimally impacting my chances at Shreveport and NO.

Is this a good idea? Or would becoming a Mississippi resident significantly reduce my chances at Shreveport and NO?

Edit - Also, what is the grading scale for this program? Standard A, B, C, etc, or is it a +/- based scale?

Edit #2 - Does it make any difference to medical school admissions committees as to whether the program is completed in fall/spring/may, as opposed to, say, fall/spring/may/summer/fall(of the next year)?

I'm mapping out courses if I were to apply, and thinking about taking just Histology in the fall, and just Gross Anatomy in the Spring. Would fill up May and the summer with 2 and 3 credit courses, and then close out fall of 2017 with Medical Physiology 1 and a 3 credit course.

However, I'm not sure what matters here - is it just the GPA, irrespective of the course load or however long it took to complete the program? Or will the medical school admissions committee note how long it took the applicant to finish the program and factor that into their decision?

Last edited:
Just got accepted today for fall 2016!

Congrats!! When did you submit your application? I applied to the program about a month ago and haven't heard anything...

I think I applied like the second week of March! Dr. Baldwin called me that day and told me over the phone, now just awaiting something in the mail...good luck hope you find out soon!

Declining my seat for the summer class! Hope this helps someone else! Good luck!

Im planning to take Biochem this summer term. Someone suggested I also take grad seminar since its easier in the summer and doesn't meet as often. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks

I'm a Mississippi resident looking to apply here soon. My undergrad gpa isn't the most competitive to apply for medical school, its between 2.5-3.0. Has anyone been accepted to UMMC after finishing up the masters program at Mississippi college. Will they over look my undergrad gpa if I succeed in the masters program here?

Would you attend this program if you are not from Louisiana or Mississippi?

Would you attend this program if you are not from Louisiana or Mississippi?
I think half of the people in the program are not form LA or MS. The group is also very diverse, with pre-med, pre-dental, pre-pharmD, pre-nursing, etc.