Mississippi College Masters of Medical Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys!
I was accepted into the program a couple of months ago and I'm trying to get into the 2016-2017 Facebook page. Can anyone let me in? Please and thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

I was just accepted for the 2016-2017 program and I'm looking for someone who needs a roommate so we can save some money.

Hi all. Would applying at the beginning of july be way too late? I am taking 2 science classes right now to boost my sGPA up. My gpa will most likely go from a 3.07 to a 3.1x. You think it's worth holding out this long? Or should I apply right now?

My MCAT score was a 496. I am retaking it again on august 5th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!
I was accepted into the program a couple of months ago and I'm trying to get into the 2016-2017 Facebook page. Can anyone let me in? Please and thank you :)

What is the link to the Facebook page?

Just got into the program for fall 2016. I'm not a Mississippi resident so just wondering what peoples thoughts are about it, I'm currently applying to dental schools but I'm not sure if I should apply to the ones in the south that require you to be a resident of Mississippi. Also in my application, how do I mention that I'm doing a masters if I'm sending the app very soon and don't know any courses atm.

Just got into the program for fall 2016. I'm not a Mississippi resident so just wondering what peoples thoughts are about it, I'm currently applying to dental schools but I'm not sure if I should apply to the ones in the south that require you to be a resident of Mississippi. Also in my application, how do I mention that I'm doing a masters if I'm sending the app very soon and don't know any courses atm.
Congrats on your acceptance. I am still waiting for a decision. How did you get the notice? (email, mail, or a phone call) And if you don't mind, could you share your stats :)

Recently accepted and looking for fall 2016 course suggestions if anyone has some to offer. I am a pre-medicine student who has already taken the MCAT. So far I'm taking Med Phys I & II. I'm looking for an easy but beneficial class to pair with this.

Last edited:
Has anyone finished in a year? If so, which classes would you recommend to take together in the fall & spring?

Finished in a year. Started in the spring though. I did med phys 1/2 in the spring, epidemiology and pharm 1/2 in the summer, and gross anatomy/grad seminar in the fall. Overall I liked how it worked out.

Reactions: 1 user
Finished in a year. Started in the spring though. I did med phys 1/2 in the spring, epidemiology and pharm 1/2 in the summer, and gross anatomy/grad seminar in the fall. Overall I liked how it worked out.

Hey did it help you get dental school interviews :)

Hi guys, I submitted my application back in may. submitted my grade sheet/transcript yesterday. Have 4 questions:

1) How do I go about sending the MCAT score? I know I have to mail it in to that address listed on the admissions website. Do I just print it out and mail it in? Or is there something 'official' i need to do? (got a 496)
2) My GPA actually dropped a bit since May. From 3.12 to a 3.07. So there will be a discrepancy between what I wrote in the online application and my official transcript. Do you think I should bother emailing them about this? I don't want to look like I was lying about my GPA.

3) Also, how late do you think I am in completing/submitting all components of the application? I want to attend in the Fall.

4) Went to all the posts, and a post in 2013 (post #500) mentioned how even if you don't immediately get into the program, you could be put in 'probationary status'. Can someone clarify what that exactly means?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone apply to this program using the GRE? If so, what was your score?
I applied with GRE. My scores were just slightly above the minimum requirements. Are you admitted?
I'm admitted, but don't know if I should start in the Fall or Spring. I'm finishing up a graduation requirement this summer. I also still need to take the MCAT. So should I study in the fall, take the MCAT, then start classes in Spring? Or maybe just try to take 1 course in the fall while studying for MCAT. I plan on applying to med school next spring/summer, so I want to have some graduate grades on my app. Thanks!

I took cell phys, histo, and embryo my first semester in the program last Spring I then took med mycology in maymester along with grad seminar. Im currently taking med phys 2 and med micro. Dr. Baldwin will tell you a lot of advice on what he thinks you should take..however, nobody in this program is taking 15 plus hours every fall and spring. You will realize once you here, you have to do whats best for you- that may be taking one 5 hr at at a time with some other 3hr courses. Anybody can take 2 5hrs but the question you should want to know is - How many of them actually make good grades taking the combos? My best advice is that unless you have to graduate in a year, then why rush.. its all about GPA. That's why we are here right? A lot of people try to keep up with the Jones's and take too much only to find out midway in the semester it was a mistake $$ down the drain. Trust me- this is not undergrad. You will have comprehensive Quizzes every week you don't have exams, and comprehensive exams all semester. Therefore, it will require more studying and work than you have done before, But its worth it. Anything with Graves is easy.. Dr. Bourassa is in my opinion the best professor in the program.. All the professors genuinely care and have seen many of us go on to med school, dental school, etc. any questions..just ask
Did you take the MCAT before or during the program?

Has anyone who's been accepted not taken their mcat yet? I haven't and I'm not sure how to plan for studying while doing the program.

I got accepted to "The Program" with a 3.0 bachelors GPA and no mcat. I made a 302 GRE(144/158--didnt study for test at all). Basically they will accept almost anyone. You have to really suck to not get accepted. My stats suck but they are good compared to normal degrees, but that's all relative. Idk if you started the program or not but it is awesome. It's hard as F***!!!! but it taught me sooooo much. I feel like I could go and practice right now with some M4s and give them a run for their money. You have to take Gross and Neuro..they are awesome...Med phys, in my opinion, not worth the GPA risk because it is a "you get it or you don't" class. The main point is the GPA. LSUS wants a 3.6 or better. But you are basically guaranteed an acceptance with a 3.8-4.0. My friends(7) have gotten in with 3.8+(3 with 4.0s). 3 I know only had 23/24 mcats. Don't listen to the idiots who say you have to have this or that. Literally you can have anything as long as its above a 3.4 and above a 20. LSUNO doesnt care how many times you take the MCAT, but LSUS does. LSUS takes an average. I got that straight from the deans' mouths of both schools. Shelf exams are great...I loved them..if you make about a 500 on the shelf then you get bumped up a letter grade. There are things called "high yields" that you must get in order to make great grades in Neuro and Gross. They are just things that consistently come up on tests. If you dont get them then you will never make a 95+..so you are already missing out...but you can make A's on all tests if you really study your butt off. I have much more I can tell you but I dont know if I am wasting your time. If you want to know everything I know about the program I will tell you, just ask if you want to know.

One of the best review of MC program I've seen around. This sums up a lot!

Actually I have an important question: do you know any people who did the program who got accepted to medical schools that aren't in the south?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Should you not do the program if I don't want to go to Med school in the south? Or should you just take what you can get basically?

Should you not do the program if I don't want to go to Med school in the south? Or should you just take what you can get basically?

If there is a better program more specific to what you are looking for you should do that otherwise beggers cant be choosers

What is everyone's opinion of the Baptist Healthplex? I'm big on fitness.

Hi guys. I was just accepted into the program like 2 days ago. I have so much to do. Any ideas on single apartments? Classes to take?

Last edited:
Some classes started yesterday as well. But I'm not getting to campus until Sunday. You're not alone!

Some classes started yesterday as well. But I'm not getting to campus until Sunday. You're not alone!

thank you! any suggestions what to take? from the document dr. baldwin sent out, only human neuroanatomy is open as the only medical school level course right now. that's 5 credits. i also signed up for virology (3) and biology of cancer (3). what classes are you going to be taking?

also, did u speak to anyone about coming in late? should i email the professors?

Last edited:
Yea I planned on neuro, bio of cancer,, immunology and cell phys too. I might drop one? Not sure yet. I just talked to Dr Baldwin and my counselor about it. If they know then you should be fine.

Anyone looking for a roommate? Or any ideas on on-campus housing? I know I'm late to the game. Was also recently accepted.

You will have a better chance finding a roommate on the fb group page

Just applied for Summer 2017, fingers crossed. It says that the program is 33 credit hours. Does this mean you can't take more than 33 hours? Also, how long does it usually take to hear back from admissions for a decision?

Just applied for Summer 2017, fingers crossed. It says that the program is 33 credit hours. Does this mean you can't take more than 33 hours? Also, how long does it usually take to hear back from admissions for a decision?

Haha no. You can take as many as you want, but you probably won't want to take much more. Couple weeks. Maybe sooner. Call if you are curious. Call Stan Baldwin. He's the man so make a good impression.

Accepted! Can anyone PM me (or reply with) some pet-friendly housing suggestions? I have a small dog :)
Hey what semester did you apply for. And how long did it take you to hear back from them. I applied in September for this spring and I haven't heard anything back from them yet.

Hey what semester did you apply for. And how long did it take you to hear back from them. I applied in September for this spring and I haven't heard anything back from them yet.

I applied for Fall '17. I heard back within 3 weeks.

Just got my acceptance email for the Spring term! :rofl:
Anyone else starting in the Spring? And is there a fb group I can join to find roommates/apts?

Anyone know how well this program is for pre-dents who will be applying to dental schools not in the south?? I'm thinking about applying for this summer '17

Should I apply with the GRE and then take the MCAT, or just take the MCAT? I want to reserve my seat as early as possible. I feel like the GRE probably isn't as strenuous as the MCAT.

I applied with the GRE and will be taking the MCAT later. I recommend that so you're not rushing to take the MCAT and you're not ready.

Anyone know how well this program is for pre-dents who will be applying to dental schools not in the south?? I'm thinking about applying for this summer '17

I would try to ask the particular schools you are interested in what would make you competitive for their school. That being said, I knew 6 people who got into dental schools that weren't in the South.

Just curious if anyone knows the max amount of loans you can take (coa).

I am starting the program in the Summer and was wondering if anyone could let me on the facebook group. Also if anyone is looking for a roommate please comment! Thanks!

I am starting the program in the Summer and was wondering if anyone could let me on the facebook group. Also if anyone is looking for a roommate please comment! Thanks!
Hey samiam92,

I'm currently applying to the program and planning to start the second summer session. How long did it take for you to hear back? Where are you planning to live?