Mississippi College Masters of Medical Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yay! I got med phys, endo, and embryo this semester! Woot!

Little harder than what most people start off as their first semester, but it is doable. I'm still on the fence as to whether to take endo/gi or not, I've heard Brandon's method of grading/testing/explaining questions is rather unpleasant. Embryo is tough, so be on top of your material every week.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

Im registering for classes and was wondering what you guys thought about it. I can take physio and endo with biochem and take pharmacology during the summer or I can take neuro and a bunch of other bio classes and leave 2, 5 hour classes for fall.

Also what are some of the easier classes that you guys recommend for my first semester?

Thanks

It is really up to you, if you are a conceptual person and feel like you are on top of your studying, then go for the med phys and endo/gi so that you can take pharmacology in the summer. I wouldn't recommend biochem because it is semi-intensive, possibly just take seminar or bio cancer or another easy 3 credit bio course. Any class with Dr. Graves or Dr. Sample I heard is fairly non-intensive. Dr. Brandon is also a good teacher, long as it isn't endo/gi lol. Also where do you see biochem? I don't even see it listed.

IMO Neuro is an amazing class to start off with, but that's because it is the best class I've ever had. Concept, memorization, case studies, critical thinking etc. are all intermingled and makes his tests very fun. Going over memory section of neuro helped me learn how my brain works and how to increase my learning style also.

Remember that endo/gi is treated like a 5 hour difficulty class by many people. So you'll essentially be taking two 5 hour classes if you pair it with med phys.

So for textbooks, do I need them? If so, where is the cheapest place to get them? And do they let you keep your tests and quizzes, if not, how are you supposed to study your mistakes?

Members don't see this ad :)
So for textbooks, do I need them? If so, where is the cheapest place to get them? And do they let you keep your tests and quizzes, if not, how are you supposed to study your mistakes?

Yes, you will need EVERY text. Med phys and endo/gi only uses 1 main textbook and 2 supplementary? so it's a money saver. Neuro has like 5-6 books lol, same with histo. Honestly, cheapest place is by buying them used from an upper classmen from MC. I got most of my neuro and histo books by this method and added the rest through ebay/amazon. I find it helpful to find books that previously used since they will have already highlighted the important parts for you. There are CD files of the books floating around somewhere for some of the supplementary ones. If you ever need neuro/histo ones, I have them.

We do not get back the quizzes, they will go over the quizzes as soon as you turn them in and it is your responsibility to keep track of your grade. Which really sucks because you are never sure of your exact score.

You are given 1 opportunity to review your test. Most people will have forgotten material and you barely have any time to go through the questions again. It really is the most inefficient method to learn from your mistakes. Half the people are paralyzed to even ask questions about their mistakes to Dr. Baldwin lol. I try to learn where I suffered the most in terms of lab, clinicals, case study, and lecture material and just try to concentrate on them more. Also try to remember the questions you got wrong and quickly right them down after the test review session and go over them afterwards. We don't even review the lab slides, he just tells us what the correct answer is and moves on. I just remind myself that I made that mistake and go over it again and try to remember why I got it wrong for next time.

Ok well Im fairly good with memorization but better with understanding stuff. Im def taking Med Physio and Endo but for my other class do you recommend virology or cancer biology. My undergraduate work is in microbiology so I feel like I would do better in a molecular based class rather then genetics based.

Thanks for your help again

Ok well Im fairly good with memorization but better with understanding stuff. Im def taking Med Physio and Endo but for my other class do you recommend virology or cancer biology. My undergraduate work is in microbiology so I feel like I would do better in a molecular based class rather then genetics based.

Thanks for your help again

Both great classes. Really depends on what interests you more. My impression is that bio of cancer focuses more on recent primary article literature and virology is more lecture/book based. Haven't taken either class so I really have no clue. Probably will get better input by asking on the facebook page.

I like bookrenter.com. They have everything you need. Studying to correct your mistakes is a mistake in itself in this program. You will never ever see a repeat or even a similar question on the test again. If you miss something it is gone forever. You can't study in this program like you did in undergrad it just will not work with how cumulative everything is.The only way to study is from beginning to end over and over again, there just isn't an opportunity to learn from your mistakes. Also if you miss any review no one will go over the test with you or tell you your grade so you have to guess based on feel, this sucks. All of the questions are absolute and rarely are ever changed, tests are used over and over again. Med Phys is the worst about this, he still has the same spelling errors from years ago ( or so I am told) and they never answer questions to help clarify anything during a test.

haha well that's not comforting at all...well I will definitely check into bookrenter and see their rates. Thanks for the tip!

haha well that's not comforting at all...well I will definitely check into bookrenter and see their rates. Thanks for the tip!

Comfort is not one of the things you will find in this program. Lots of pain...Suffering...KFC... meh Chinese food... oh and the feeling like you have wasted your time and money will pop up from time to time.

Comfort is not one of the things you will find in this program. Lots of pain...Suffering...KFC... meh Chinese food... oh and the feeling like you have wasted your time and money will pop up from time to time.

Meh, you make it sound like its worse than it is lol. Maybe it's because Baldwin is a different person when he teaches Neuro but you get a feeling of real passion when he teaches. This program basically re-affirmed my passion for medicine and the fact you basically have a guarantee to a medical school upon doing well in this program is a relief.

Meh, you make it sound like its worse than it is lol. Maybe it's because Baldwin is a different person when he teaches Neuro but you get a feeling of real passion when he teaches. This program basically re-affirmed my passion for medicine and the fact you basically have a guarantee to a medical school upon doing well in this program is a relief.

True Baldwin does do a great job at that. Guarantee isnt the word ... Strong chance is better within 2 years and insanely strong chance after 3 or 4 if you are originally not from Miss. If you are instate yeah guarantee fits...

True Baldwin does do a great job at that. Guarantee isnt the word ... Strong chance is better within 2 years and insanely strong chance after 3 or 4 if you are originally not from Miss. If you are instate yeah guarantee fits...

I was actually talking about William-Carey lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

I'm a current senior now at Tulane and am interested in applying to the MC program. I'm an MS native. I'm a bit worried though as my BCPM is around a 2.9, cGPA is a bit higher (I'm a business major and pre-med). I have all of the "supplementary" credentials necessary (research, community service, volunteering at a hospital) but I am aware that that is not enough to earn a med school acceptance.

Anyone know of individuals who have been rejected to this program? I have heard that you can take the same classes as are offered as a non degree seeking student and then apply to the program (the courses you take will transfer).

I'm a bit overwhelmed as to as to dig myself out of the GPA hold that I've put myself in. I have yet to take the MCAT, so there's a little bit of hope there but how does one improve their credentials without an acceptance to grad school?

Any input would be helpful.

Hi All,

I'm a current senior now at Tulane and am interested in applying to the MC program. I'm an MS native. I'm a bit worried though as my BCPM is around a 2.9, cGPA is a bit higher (I'm a business major and pre-med). I have all of the "supplementary" credentials necessary (research, community service, volunteering at a hospital) but I am aware that that is not enough to earn a med school acceptance.

Anyone know of individuals who have been rejected to this program? I have heard that you can take the same classes as are offered as a non degree seeking student and then apply to the program (the courses you take will transfer).

I'm a bit overwhelmed as to as to dig myself out of the GPA hold that I've put myself in. I have yet to take the MCAT, so there's a little bit of hope there but how does one improve their credentials without an acceptance to grad school?

Any input would be helpful.

The answer is yes to all although those that do get rejected are (often) accepted to the MS in biology and can switch. However I doubt your stats will get you rejected from MC. Many people improve stats by doing a formal post bacc which boosts there UG gpa and sGPA and gets you all the pre recs if you missed them. If you want to go to school in Mississippi you need this program. It also has some strong links to LSU and Tulane. On average those that finish this program with at least a 3.5 and an MCAT above 29 do get into UMC with little trouble. However if you don't want a gap year you really need the following UG cGPA and sGPA about a 3.0, need at least a 4.0 your first semester and an MCAT score above a 30. You seem close to hitting that. So nail that MCAT, which means use a prep course ( I recommend Kaplan or Princeton review), get into MC and kill your first semester by being smart and only taking one 5 hour but at least 12 credit hours total.
Not going to lie to you, this stuff is insanely difficult. If you have a weak science background that is only going to make this worse. If you don't have to many UG credit think about doing a 5th year, informal post bacc or a second bacc at Tulane to get that UG GPA up. Keep in mind you have options if you can get your UG GPA above a 3.0 and if you can get a strong MCAT. Tulane also has an awesome MS in Pharmacology which does a really good job of getting people into Medical school there at Tulane. Here is what I would do if I were you. Block out a 3 month time spot for just MCAT study and apply to MC. You will get in if you have a good MCAT so make it happen.

Woot! Might have a place to live at Stonegate...

Is shadowing fairly easy in the Jackson/Clinton area? Or is it like pulling teeth with doctors?

Awesome, will do! So would that hook me up for shadowing in Clinton or Jackson or both?

how long does it normally take them to send out alternative pin to register? i sent in my deposit through a track mail and it said it arrived there this monday.

It didn't take too long for me, although I emailed Dr. Baldwin to expedite the process.

got it this afternoon! i registered for Histo, immuno, and embryo
is this to much for the first semester? i was also thinking about swapping for human heredity or cell phys, any thoughts about these two? are they more conceptual base or memorization? i'm more of a anatomy person..... but Dr. Baldwin considered them easy, however, i'm weary about them bc i had struggled with genetics my undergrad.

i'll probably take cell phys instead of embryo since they are going to be the shelf exam tho

thank you very much for your time!

Last edited:
got it this afternoon! i registered for Histo, immuno, and embryo
is this to much for the first semester? i was also thinking about swapping for human heredity or cell phys, any thoughts about these two? are they more conceptual base or memorization? i'm more of a anatomy person..... but Dr. Baldwin considered them easy, however, i'm weary about them bc i had struggled with genetics my undergrad. thank you very much for your time!

Ok everybody as I have said before when Dr.Baldwin tells you something be careful. Just because he says it is easy does not mean it that it is easy. I found histo to be the most difficult course offered at this school. Why you may ask? Histo is mindless endless tons of memorization and even if you are really good at this there is so much nit picky details on tests that honestly it can be a crap shoot to figure out how you are going to do. For others looking endlessly at notes and text is the best way for them to understand things and they excel at this and get killed when they take med phys. There are no easy 5 hours classes. They all will be a constant battle to get any grade about a C and if you do get even a B in any 5 hour congrats because you worked your but off for it. If you encounter some body that acts like a 5 hour was cake they are lying or they cheated. Now to answer your questions...
Too much... No thats a good start. If genetics isn't your bag then let me recommend that you avoid genetics like classes. Baldwin designed this program so that when you get into medical school it is well easy. However if you follow the Baldwin plan you may find that MC is not exactly good at getting you into medical school unless you are a resident of Mississippi.
At MC there are a few different types of classes 1) Memorization 2) strong conceptual 3) undergrad review and 4) gift class... Each of the 5 hour class is a mix of at least two of these types. Histo is 98% memorization type and 2% conceptual, Med phys is 80% conceptual, 10% mem and 10% undergrad review, gross and neuro are both about 80% mem and 20% concept. Of the elective type classes endo/GI and embryo are often looked at just like the 5 hours but they are a bit easier to manage. Any class that is 3 hours or less is either undergrad review or a gift classes and are often quite enjoyable. Look at it like this the greater the amount of hours the greater the difficulty 5 is like a very bad day/fight for your life and 1 is I shows up what more do you want. Do not treat this like undergrad if you do you will get trapped and fail. Treat this as if this was a medical school try out and everything you do here will be used to prevent you from ever stepping into the halls of a medical school ..... Just kidding about the last part.... Treat it like grad school because it is. Be ready to rethink your study styles.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok everybody as I have said before when Dr.Baldwin tells you something be careful. Just because he says it is easy does not mean it that it is easy. I found histo to be the most difficult course offered at this school. Why you may ask? Histo is mindless endless tons of memorization and even if you are really good at this there is so much nit picky details on tests that honestly it can be a crap shoot to figure out how you are going to do. For others looking endlessly at notes and text is the best way for them to understand things and they excel at this and get killed when they take med phys. There are no easy 5 hours classes. They all will be a constant battle to get any grade about a C and if you do get even a B in any 5 hour congrats because you worked your but off for it. If you encounter some body that acts like a 5 hour was cake they are lying or they cheated. Now to answer your questions...
Too much... No thats a good start. If genetics isn't your bag then let me recommend that you avoid genetics like classes. Baldwin designed this program so that when you get into medical school it is well easy. However if you follow the Baldwin plan you may find that MC is not exactly good at getting you into medical school unless you are a resident of Mississippi.
At MC there are a few different types of classes 1) Memorization 2) strong conceptual 3) undergrad review and 4) gift class... Each of the 5 hour class is a mix of at least two of these types. Histo is 98% memorization type and 2% conceptual, Med phys is 80% conceptual, 10% mem and 10% undergrad review, gross and neuro are both about 80% mem and 20% concept. Of the elective type classes endo/GI and embryo are often looked at just like the 5 hours but they are a bit easier to manage. Any class that is 3 hours or less is either undergrad review or a gift classes and are often quite enjoyable. Look at it like this the greater the amount of hours the greater the difficulty 5 is like a very bad day/fight for your life and 1 is I shows up what more do you want. Do not treat this like undergrad if you do you will get trapped and fail. Treat this as if this was a medical school try out and everything you do here will be used to prevent you from ever stepping into the halls of a medical school ..... Just kidding about the last part.... Treat it like grad school because it is. Be ready to rethink your study styles.

thanks! imma just replace embryo with cell phys, i'mma just test the waters out and see, hopefully this first semester isn't going to make me cry!!! nervous, excited, stress, and school has not even started! Imma go eat a pint of ice cream now!!

Ironically, I agree with saying histo is hard but I think you're forgetting another key course called Gross anatomy. Out of everyone who has taken all 4 five hour credits, they nearly all have said gross (without the crazy new lab) has been the hardest out of the four. Coming up next usually is either endo/gi (oddly) and med phys, unless your a highly conceptual person. Histo isn't hard, it is just mind numbingly draining trying to memorize diffuse amount of facts of every single organ in the body with clinicals.

I think it will be a blessing you guys are having Reiken next semester for histo since she gives out mega extra points. Although I hear she is a worse teacher than Dunigan. However, I have wanted to shoot many times I want to shoot her for needlessly hard questions by taking Dunigan. But it will probably make me a better student in the end (long as I get an A lol). I guess the great equalizer will be the shelf exam.

You cannot possibly say Embryo is on the caliber of endo/gi. The tests are not cumulative for one and its only 3 credits worth of material. Dunigan is a hard teacher but I think its a drastic overstatement to say it is anywhere near the 5/4 credit courses; excluding med micro obviously because that is truly a gift class.. or at least that is what I hear.. Out of the 3's, sure, it is up there.

Cell phys, for a 2 credit course, has been a nightmare for me. The teacher, Dr. Howell, really does not care for much of the material. His power points are disorganized and he tests concepts he does not mention. My major gripe are his wording on the tests, they become so convoluted, you don't even know what he is asking on certain questions. We just took the 3rd test, and I will say it has become better mildly and he has given people a chance to make up a crappy grade by final grade replacement. I'm not sure if I am having a tougher time with it because of taking 2 five hour courses, but his method of teaching has become foreign ground compared to the five hours and I just self-study for his class usually. None of his tests has thus far averaged anything above an 80, which majority of the students should be getting. I believe our first test averaged around 71'ish. Pretty abysmal for what should've been a undergrad review course. I only did well because I largely studied MCAT material in the summer and majored in cell biology basically. I don't mean to scare off the above poster, but if you are taking this course as a refresher for the shelf, think again. However, if you switch things out and go with Histo, Cell Phys, Immuno or Embryo, it will be a solid foundation for your other classes. You might want to just take bio seminar so it doesn't look like you're taking a low amount of credits, or possibly research? Not sure how to advice on a situation with only 10 credits.

Personally, my study methods have drastically changed by taking these courses. Although many people say it is because it is the first semester and many students will either meet up to the challenge or fail trying. I actually read the textbooks now and re-write notes multiple times. I wish I would've figured this out during undergrad because I would've whizzed through it if I studied as much as I am now. Finding good study groups and tutors are also key. I look at certain study groups and they talk probably more than they study.

The awesome fact about taking these courses are that it will make your life in medical school much easier. How many times have you wanted to say, I wish I would've retained those facts a bit more or I wished I would've paid more attention and absorbed more information in undergrad courses? Well, now is the time because by studying hard and concentrating on these courses, it will give you a leg up on other students and allow you to achieve higher scores where it will really matter. Now is also the time to address your weaknesses instead of keeping away from them. I used to have trouble understanding pre-ganglionic vs post ganglionic, why sympathetic/parasympathetics were called motor systems, upper motor neurons vs lower motor neurons of nervous system. But now I can roll all that information off my tongue.

I am going to state something that I have mentioned before. I recommend people take neuroanatomy as their first five hour course. Dr. Baldwin's class will change your life. Although I am not sure what the registrar looks like now. All slots might be filled =/

So btw Worldchanger =/ it seems you've changed your mind on the capacity of out of state students to enter UMMC?

Is there any incoming female students that needs a place to stay for the upcoming spring semester?

Ironically, I agree with saying histo is hard but I think you're forgetting another key course called Gross anatomy. Out of everyone who has taken all 4 five hour credits, they nearly all have said gross (without the crazy new lab) has been the hardest out of the four. Coming up next usually is either endo/gi (oddly) and med phys, unless your a highly conceptual person. Histo isn't hard, it is just mind numbingly draining trying to memorize diffuse amount of facts of every single organ in the body with clinicals.

I think it will be a blessing you guys are having Reiken next semester for histo since she gives out mega extra points. Although I hear she is a worse teacher than Dunigan. However, I have wanted to shoot many times I want to shoot her for needlessly hard questions by taking Dunigan. But it will probably make me a better student in the end (long as I get an A lol). I guess the great equalizer will be the shelf exam.

You cannot possibly say Embryo is on the caliber of endo/gi. The tests are not cumulative for one and its only 3 credits worth of material. Dunigan is a hard teacher but I think its a drastic overstatement to say it is anywhere near the 5/4 credit courses; excluding med micro obviously because that is truly a gift class.. or at least that is what I hear.. Out of the 3's, sure, it is up there.

Cell phys, for a 2 credit course, has been a nightmare for me. The teacher, Dr. Howell, really does not care for much of the material. His power points are disorganized and he tests concepts he does not mention. My major gripe are his wording on the tests, they become so convoluted, you don't even know what he is asking on certain questions. We just took the 3rd test, and I will say it has become better mildly and he has given people a chance to make up a crappy grade by final grade replacement. I'm not sure if I am having a tougher time with it because of taking 2 five hour courses, but his method of teaching has become foreign ground compared to the five hours and I just self-study for his class usually. None of his tests has thus far averaged anything above an 80, which majority of the students should be getting. I believe our first test averaged around 71'ish. Pretty abysmal for what should've been a undergrad review course. I only did well because I largely studied MCAT material in the summer and majored in cell biology basically. I don't mean to scare off the above poster, but if you are taking this course as a refresher for the shelf, think again. However, if you switch things out and go with Histo, Cell Phys, Immuno or Embryo, it will be a solid foundation for your other classes. You might want to just take bio seminar so it doesn't look like you're taking a low amount of credits, or possibly research? Not sure how to advice on a situation with only 10 credits.

Personally, my study methods have drastically changed by taking these courses. Although many people say it is because it is the first semester and many students will either meet up to the challenge or fail trying. I actually read the textbooks now and re-write notes multiple times. I wish I would've figured this out during undergrad because I would've whizzed through it if I studied as much as I am now. Finding good study groups and tutors are also key. I look at certain study groups and they talk probably more than they study.

The awesome fact about taking these courses are that it will make your life in medical school much easier. How many times have you wanted to say, I wish I would've retained those facts a bit more or I wished I would've paid more attention and absorbed more information in undergrad courses? Well, now is the time because by studying hard and concentrating on these courses, it will give you a leg up on other students and allow you to achieve higher scores where it will really matter. Now is also the time to address your weaknesses instead of keeping away from them. I used to have trouble understanding pre-ganglionic vs post ganglionic, why sympathetic/parasympathetics were called motor systems, upper motor neurons vs lower motor neurons of nervous system. But now I can roll all that information off my tongue.

I am going to state something that I have mentioned before. I recommend people take neuroanatomy as their first five hour course. Dr. Baldwin's class will change your life. Although I am not sure what the registrar looks like now. All slots might be filled =/

So btw Worldchanger =/ it seems you've changed your mind on the capacity of out of state students to enter UMMC?

No I haven't, it is still the same if you are willing to wait 2 to 3 years of wasting your time and your life for medical school in Jackson, MS you can do it. I just assumed that most people don't care to do this. Most of the people I send the only come to MC if you are instate message to are already out side of the system and have better options. I really don't know where you are from but I am guessing you are one of the many west coasters that came over to MC with a hope and a dream to get in over here in the Gulf coast or the East coast. From you posting in other threads I have noticed you have not been here very long which is good. If you finish the program within a year you should apply to a better smp with linkage to a school that is out of state friendly. This would be the best use of your time. If you really wanted to get into UM(M)C you could through the methods we have previously discussed. I thought I had eluded to it but maybe I should have been clearer. While you can get into UM(M)C if you want it is not in your best interest to do so. It is not worth the time and honestly the school just isn't worth it. The grand majority of people that go there are good old boys from Mississippi that did not really apply to many other places. If you have your heart set on being an MD, ( which I respect the DO realm did not impress me either) you need to finish this program and get into another SMP that is linked to a school that is friendlier to you. Some of these programs are EVMS, RFU, NYMC, Drexel, U Cinni, and U Toledo. If DO is fine William Carry would love to have you and from what I have seen it is not a bad DO school. It depends on you. The path is still wide open and some choices are better then others sir. I am burning through this program as fast as I can then I am going to go to another SMP(USF IMS, EVMS, and RFU are top on my list) with strong linkage and apply very very broadly to medical schools ( I mean like 30 MD school, 4 DO school, 4 Irish school and 4 UK school... yeah broad) I know MC will do nothing for me to help in this process however I have gained a good understanding about how people view medical school and I can honestly say there is nothing a medical school can possibly throw at me that can phase me. MC is nuts.

Worldchanger, you said you were going to apply to a couple of irish and UK schools...how would you even go about doing that and what is their process??

No I haven't, it is still the same if you are willing to wait 2 to 3 years of wasting your time and your life for medical school in Jackson, MS you can do it. I just assumed that most people don't care to do this. Most of the people I send the only come to MC if you are instate message to are already out side of the system and have better options. I really don't know where you are from but I am guessing you are one of the many west coasters that came over to MC with a hope and a dream to get in over here in the Gulf coast or the East coast. From you posting in other threads I have noticed you have not been here very long which is good. If you finish the program within a year you should apply to a better smp with linkage to a school that is out of state friendly. This would be the best use of your time. If you really wanted to get into UM(M)C you could through the methods we have previously discussed. I thought I had eluded to it but maybe I should have been clearer. While you can get into UM(M)C if you want it is not in your best interest to do so. It is not worth the time and honestly the school just isn't worth it. The grand majority of people that go there are good old boys from Mississippi that did not really apply to many other places. If you have your heart set on being an MD, ( which I respect the DO realm did not impress me either) you need to finish this program and get into another SMP that is linked to a school that is friendlier to you. Some of these programs are EVMS, RFU, NYMC, Drexel, U Cinni, and U Toledo. If DO is fine William Carry would love to have you and from what I have seen it is not a bad DO school. It depends on you. The path is still wide open and some choices are better then others sir. I am burning through this program as fast as I can then I am going to go to another SMP(USF IMS, EVMS, and RFU are top on my list) with strong linkage and apply very very broadly to medical schools ( I mean like 30 MD school, 4 DO school, 4 Irish school and 4 UK school... yeah broad) I know MC will do nothing for me to help in this process however I have gained a good understanding about how people view medical school and I can honestly say there is nothing a medical school can possibly throw at me that can phase me. MC is nuts.

From our previous conversations, I thought you meant people who were residents of MS for only 1 year had a good chance of being admitted into UMMC, which I believed wasn't the case. Yes, I have also heard 3-4 years of commitment does net you an acceptance into UMMC. Could I ask why you feel UMMC is inadequate? From the residency matche numbers and step scores, it doesn't seem the low end of the tier. They also have broad residency programs within the hospital. Also, not to bash the people who enter UMMC, but wouldn't the competition be easier if the caliber of students entering is lower? AOA designation is awarded to the top tier percentages of students.

Also didn't you mention many SMP's don't allow you to apply to their program if you already finished a biomedical science degrees? Or are the school's you have listed an exemption from that barrier? Although I did hear about your solution with Dr. Baldwin by not finishing the degree to enter into a better SMP. Honestly, I don't really care about location and I am hoping to get into LSU-New Orleans, which seems like a decent school and MC has somewhat of a reputation with them.

I think your scenario is the exception than the rule at MC. Most students that come to MC are either relatively sub-par GPA, a major deficit somewhere, or couldn't get into a better program. I'm glad there is a program such as MC, which truly gives second chances to students even if it only provides limited choices to medical schools.

From our previous conversations, I thought you meant people who were residents of MS for only 1 year had a good chance of being admitted into UMMC, which I believed wasn't the case. Yes, I have also heard 3-4 years of commitment does net you an acceptance into UMMC. Could I ask why you feel UMMC is inadequate? From the residency matche numbers and step scores, it doesn't seem the low end of the tier. They also have broad residency programs within the hospital. Also, not to bash the people who enter UMMC, but wouldn't the competition be easier if the caliber of students entering is lower? AOA designation is awarded to the top tier percentages of students.

Also didn't you mention many SMP's don't allow you to apply to their program if you already finished a biomedical science degrees? Or are the school's you have listed an exemption from that barrier? Although I did hear about your solution with Dr. Baldwin by not finishing the degree to enter into a better SMP. Honestly, I don't really care about location and I am hoping to get into LSU-New Orleans, which seems like a decent school and MC has somewhat of a reputation with them.

I think your scenario is the exception than the rule at MC. Most students that come to MC are either relatively sub-par GPA, a major deficit somewhere, or couldn't get into a better program. I'm glad there is a program such as MC, which truly gives second chances to students even if it only provides limited choices to medical schools.

Why do I feel UMMC is subpar? Well for me it is personal really. I hate Mississippi. Hate it. UMMC could have the best marks in the world and I still would not apply. I can do a single year here but 4? No not me. Hey if that is you and you are willing to put in a few application cycles to do it sure, that great. To me it isn't worth it. I am not sure what you are talking about with the AOA thing UMMC is an Allo school they have nothing to do with the AOA.
I too am going to apply to LSU NO however I know how hard it is for out of staters to get in there, I had a conversation with one of the adcoms there to talk about my chances and after I finish MC he said my chances are about 1 out of 3 that I will land an interview and 1 in 3 after that. Not to bad of odds. However he did say that if I got into Tulane ACP or pharmacology masters there I would have a 3 out of 4 chance of getting in if I hold a 3.5 GPA. So sure enough I filled out an app for the Pharmacology program at Tulane. Some programs are odd in how they will not accept you if you have the exact same degree, but Baldwin filled me in on a little secret if at any time I want to go to those program a simple email to him and instantly I am a non degree seeking student with a cert in Medical sciences or an undergraduate post bacc student. That made EVMS and USF IMS happy enough to continue the process so as soon as they get grades from here they will finish the app and send me a decision. So if I get into those programs that is the option if I choose to go there. It is true that most people do have grades that are a bit weaker then mine but from the ones that were successful at getting into a medical school outside of MS, they had to do another masters the ones that didn't were lucky if they had bad grades and scores to begin with. See I made a bit of a mistake coming out here, when I didn't get into the SMPs I wanted to I should have waited and reapplied but instead I applied every place I could because I figured something is better then nothing right? Well I got into USF MSBS and MC MSMS and was sold on MC MSMS because of the shelf exams. Boy was I surprised when every medical school I applied to told me that " NBME exams are standardized to every individual state and has no baring here, we will consider you grades in the program though." That day my heart sank my friend but I only have a little left to go and then I can move on. Just got to do well on these finals and I am sure I can pull off a 3.7 out of this place after spring.

Why do I feel UMMC is subpar? Well for me it is personal really. I hate Mississippi. Hate it. UMMC could have the best marks in the world and I still would not apply. I can do a single year here but 4? No not me. Hey if that is you and you are willing to put in a few application cycles to do it sure, that great. To me it isn't worth it. I am not sure what you are talking about with the AOA thing UMMC is an Allo school they have nothing to do with the AOA.
I too am going to apply to LSU NO however I know how hard it is for out of staters to get in there, I had a conversation with one of the adcoms there to talk about my chances and after I finish MC he said my chances are about 1 out of 3 that I will land an interview and 1 in 3 after that. Not to bad of odds. However he did say that if I got into Tulane ACP or pharmacology masters there I would have a 3 out of 4 chance of getting in if I hold a 3.5 GPA. So sure enough I filled out an app for the Pharmacology program at Tulane. Some programs are odd in how they will not accept you if you have the exact same degree, but Baldwin filled me in on a little secret if at any time I want to go to those program a simple email to him and instantly I am a non degree seeking student with a cert in Medical sciences or an undergraduate post bacc student. That made EVMS and USF IMS happy enough to continue the process so as soon as they get grades from here they will finish the app and send me a decision. So if I get into those programs that is the option if I choose to go there. It is true that most people do have grades that are a bit weaker then mine but from the ones that were successful at getting into a medical school outside of MS, they had to do another masters the ones that didn't were lucky if they had bad grades and scores to begin with. See I made a bit of a mistake coming out here, when I didn't get into the SMPs I wanted to I should have waited and reapplied but instead I applied every place I could because I figured something is better then nothing right? Well I got into USF MSBS and MC MSMS and was sold on MC MSMS because of the shelf exams. Boy was I surprised when every medical school I applied to told me that " NBME exams are standardized to every individual state and has no baring here, we will consider you grades in the program though." That day my heart sank my friend but I only have a little left to go and then I can move on. Just got to do well on these finals and I am sure I can pull off a 3.7 out of this place after spring.

AOA is Alpha Omega Alpha, which is a national medical honors society and is considered to be a significant factor for being competitive for residencies. Only MD schools currently have such programs that holds any meaning.

I did not realize that about shelf exams, maybe I shouldn't stress about it so much if that is the case... damn.

I understand if it is a personal reason for not wanting to go to UMMC. I just figured there was something else that I did not know about. I feel your anguish but mind as well make the best of it I suppose. Wish you luck on your applications to better SMPs, I am already at the end of my rope so will take the bait at WC if all else fails.

AOA is Alpha Omega Alpha, which is a national medical honors society and is considered to be a significant factor for being competitive for residencies. Only MD schools currently have such programs that holds any meaning.

I did not realize that about shelf exams, maybe I shouldn't stress about it so much if that is the case... damn.

I understand if it is a personal reason for not wanting to go to UMMC. I just figured there was something else that I did not know about. I feel your anguish but mind as well make the best of it I suppose. Wish you luck on your applications to better SMPs, I am already at the end of my rope so will take the bait at WC if all else fails.

Come on bro you can't just throw AOA out there like that and expect me to know what going on. Got to turn on the greek letters man...

would it be bad to think about scheduling neuro and gross together for the fall?

would it be bad to think about scheduling neuro and gross together for the fall?

I don't think they will allow you to do that but if they did that would be the only thing you could take. If you took 8 hour gross and 5 hour neuro and nothing else... yeah that is doable.... They would some what compliment but you would be so busy I mean at least 12 hours per day of study just for gross plus 8 hours of study per day for Neuro... You would only get 4 hours to sleep every day unless you did not do the recommended study amounts. You couldn't cut gross study so maybe you could cut neuro study down but still... Do able yes.... Would you ever in your right mind do this and succeed.... Nope.

HAHAHAHA!!!! I took one look at the lecture notes that you would have to memorize for Gross, and said NOPE! That is one class that I am going to isolate based on the sheer amount of memorization....

did yall have to take out another loan? i saw that fasfa gives me about 10250 for spring of unsubsidized loan, is this just for spring?? or that is the only total i get and i should i take out another loan through sallie mae?

Do you know what the average GPA and MCAT for those that are accepted?

I've heard of people in the low 2's GPA get accepted so it's a wide variety. Call/E-mail Dr. Baldwin to get a better picture.

did yall have to take out another loan? i saw that fasfa gives me about 10250 for spring of unsubsidized loan, is this just for spring?? or that is the only total i get and i should i take out another loan through sallie mae?

They also certify for grad plus.

Do not get a sallie mae...not good loans. However, yes you will have to get a grad plus loan through studentloans.gov...I'm taking 11 credits and the 10K covers that with a little leftover and I'm still not sure how much fees are. The grad plus loan should take care of your living expenses. But note that these loans do not come through until the end of January, so make sure you have enough money saved up for apartment/utility deposits and moving expenses.

is living in Clinton pretty cheap? The reason I'm asking is because I'm trying not to take out alot of loans if I were to get accepted.
Also, do you guys know if there were any students from TX in your class?I know you guys mention that the medical schools in Louisiana like this program, do you know if the TX schools likes program as well?

is living in Clinton pretty cheap? The reason I'm asking is because I'm trying not to take out alot of loans if I were to get accepted.
Also, do you guys know if there were any students from TX in your class?I know you guys mention that the medical schools in Louisiana like this program, do you know if the TX schools likes program as well?

Living costs seem fairly cheap, but then again, i'm from the east coast so most things are cheaper here lol. The high end apartments seem to run $1000 for 2 bed rooms. Food costs are about the same as everywhere I would say. Electricity seems to run lower than east coast also.

I have heard of TX students who are in the program or have been in the past but I am not sure if it is a well-known program. Best to call the individual medical schools and ask their perspective about the program. Wouldn't you be better served to attend a TX SMP/Post-bacc program? Although I have heard their programs are fairly selective.

I have never heard good news for Texas people that come here to MC. There seems to be a strong disconnect in how things are done in Texas versus Mississippi that people just can't handle the amount of work or when they hear the program really has little effect for them they pack up and leave. If I were you stay in Texas and do a masters a TCOM. Great program, it will get you into a Texas school. Look into it.

To answer your questions as they are. Clinton is cheap. Yes there WERE ( key word...hint hint) a few Texans in our class. Yes LSU-NO does look favorably option this program, however the success rate is a bit funny. Those that did get into LSU-NO or Tulane from this program already had strong grades in UG and a good MCAT. Those that didn't mostly went to WC or are still here. Out of staters trying to get into LSU-NO do have an increased chance of getting into LSU-NO if they go to MC however there chances are even better if they did a masters at Tulane instead. I have never heard of a Texas success story from here. No exactly sure why that is but I believe those from Texas end up in a similar situation as myself and have to look into another smp. Therefore many just disappeared most likely to head off to another program. Maybe a Texan that has some good MC news will pop up on here and fill you in.

Reactions: 1 user