Mississippi College Masters One Year??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, I mean, the management is pretty terrible. But, we really only had a bad first month or two. Then it became much better after complaining those first two months. Also, they did some rearrangement of the management after our complaint, so things have definitely settled down.

They are nice apartments, very big. Walk in closets, lots of storage space, balconies, fireplaces (hey, it snowed like twice this year..), and a decent location. Pool, tennis courts, whatever you need for a study break.

The only thing is that they are slightly on the expensive side. our 2 Br/2ba is $974 a month. Utilities run about $50, maybe a little more if you rent washer/dryer and get something other than basic basic basic cable.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I mean, the management is pretty terrible. But, we really only had a bad first month or two. Then it became much better after complaining those first two months. Also, they did some rearrangement of the management after our complaint, so things have definitely settled down.

They are nice apartments, very big. Walk in closets, lots of storage space, balconies, fireplaces (hey, it snowed like twice this year..), and a decent location. Pool, tennis courts, whatever you need for a study break.

The only thing is that they are slightly on the expensive side. our 2 Br/2ba is $974 a month. Utilities run about $50, maybe a little more if you rent washer/dryer and get something other than basic basic basic cable.

Yeah totally different topic but how did you guys deal with the gap year? Did most people end up with extra year of nothing or did most people apply after their first semester grades were out? Did you work during this program or no way there will be time?

I was planning on applying to the med school right before starting the MC program. It looks like a lot of the MC students that graduated ended up getting accepted to the UMiss med school. I'm just assuming that they didn't have a gap year, mostly because if you look at the 2010 graduates, it says that they've been accepted to UMiss med. I guess that could still mean they have a gap year, huh?
Either way, there are post baccs/SMPs like the one at Georgetown where people talk about how they didn't have a gap year and they started at a med school other than Georgetown the following year. That means that they interview before the program was over, my guess is sometime around winter break after their first sem grades were released and they were able to get recs. Even if I do have a gap year, it's a lot easier finding a decent job with a MS compared to a BS...

Hi! I was wondering the same thing as well. From what I had read somewhere about admissions UMiss Med School, you have to be a resident by the time you matriculate into the Med school. I am not 100% sure. But if your MCAT and other credentials are decent, I guess you could go ahead and apply. Anyone want to verify this?

I believe it will take 1 year to get residency.

BTW, I lived in the South for a bit and really liked it. The people are very nice and this school really seems nice!

Members don't see this ad :)
not sure about UMC and residency, maybe someone else can clarify

as for gap year, it really depends on your own history. if you have a bad MCAT, a lot of people take the program, midway through take the mcat, and then finish. generally, this is the 1.5 year route.

those on the 11 month route generally apply the summer before starting, get interviews after grades come out, etc.

then there are some that wait completely until the program is over to apply. this sometimes tends to look better as you will prove that you can do a whole masters degree in this stuff with a good gpa, instead of just the one semester.

as for working, i work a temp job (very flexible, maybe once a month) but most do not work. it's pretty impossible. unless you become a TA or tutor, or have a very flexible job like mine, i wouldn't recommend it. if you come to this program, you need to make good grades so devote all your time to it! it'll be worth it in the end, believe me.

One last question, did you guys take the shelf exams and did do you think they help at all in getting you into medical school or are they just good practice? If you guys did, how did you guys do?

Hi! I was wondering the same thing as well. From what I had read somewhere about admissions UMiss Med School, you have to be a resident by the time you matriculate into the Med school. I am not 100% sure. But if your MCAT and other credentials are decent, I guess you could go ahead and apply. Anyone want to verify this?

I believe it will take 1 year to get residency.

BTW, I lived in the South for a bit and really liked it. The people are very nice and this school really seems nice!

It was actually listed on the UMiss med school site but you gotta live in mississippi for a year and must be a resident by the time you matriculate into med school. I think that's what they were talking about on the first page where they were saying you should get an apartment in July so you can meet that requirement when school starts the following year.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! :) Mcat from Jan 29 th is due this week! I'm hoping I get a good score! :)

shelf exams were good practice, and apparently not many people do well enough to report them to med schools (ie: me..) but i found them very helpful in test preparation and now i will know what to expect in the future. i think you have to score 50% or higher for it to really look good... meaning you did better than 50% of all med students taking that exam. i made a 44% in histology.. :rolleyes:

In general, the program is good for test and material prep for what you will see on the shelf exams/boards/all of the above.

good luck, y'all :)

One last question, did you guys take the shelf exams and did do you think they help at all in getting you into medical school or are they just good practice? If you guys did, how did you guys do?

Taking the shelf exams can't hurt. However, if you do well at MC and have a decent MCAT/DAT score, you're going to get in medical school somewhere. (Regardless of what you make on the shelf) With that said, I didn't take any of the shelf exams. The shelf exam is administered the day after final exams and honestly, I didn't want to do anything school related after finals.

Last edited:
Hey JRWHITER, did you apply to medical school while paticipating in the masters program or did you wait until after full completion of the program?

Taking the shelf exams can't hurt. However, if you do well at MC and have a decent MCAT/DAT score, you're going to get in medical school somewhere. (Regardless of what you make on the shelf) With that said, I didn't take any of the shelf exams. The shelf exam is administered the day after final exams and honestly, I didn't want to do anything school related after finals.

Hey JRWHITER, did you apply to medical school while paticipating in the masters program or did you wait until after full completion of the program?

Can any of you tell me the accepted rates to a medical school for this program. Anyone go to Louisiana medical schools? I am a resident of Louisiana and that would be best for me.

Can any of you tell me the accepted rates to a medical school for this program. Anyone go to Louisiana medical schools? I am a resident of Louisiana and that would be best for me.

Also what is the tuition rate for the program instate and out of state?

Hey yall,

Last summer, I visited the school and met with Dr. Baldwin to discuss the Masters of Medical Science program. Upon convincing me that the curriculum was legit, I decided to apply for the Fall of 2011, and have recently been accepted.

So with this said, I am currently in the process of trying to find a place to live close to campus, as well as roommate(s) to share a living space with. Ideally I would like to find a place close to campus, with living companions who respect each other's space (as well as sleeping habits), and are going to take this program seriously.

Please do not hesitate to contact me or respond with suggestions on places to live.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I was recently accepted into the program and am planning to move to MS in Aug.! I've found a great house to rent (3bed/2bath) close to campus but know no one in the state of Mississippi!! Lemme know if you too are looking for a roommate :)

I'm 23, female, from NC. I can send pics of the house/more info if interested!

Thanks!

Congrats on your acceptances! What are your undergrad gpa/mcat stats?

Finished off the rest of my application today. Can someone tell me, just how Baptist is Mississippi College? And how is living in Clinton/Jackson? Thanks!

I will also be attending this program in the fall!!! Apartment/roommate hunting starts now!

Hi guys I also got accepted. Still waiting on some more schools but this is probably where I'll be going. I don't know where to start on moving from Cali to Mississippi. I'll see all of you in the fall!

Hi! I just got my acceptance email today! I'm deciding between this school and one more and waiting on some others. If you dont mind me asking, for those who are planning on attending or are currently attending MC, why did you choose to go there? I'm from CA, and was wondering how good this program would look if I want to apply to medical schools outside of Mississippi or is this a program that is better for those who want to attend a med school in state? What do you think are the pros/cons to MC? Would you recommend going there?

I know its a lot of question but thanks for any insight you can give me!

hey guys,

I just found out I was accepted for the Fall 2011 class. I still trying to decide whether to attend in the Fall or not. Is anyone else considering startin the program in the Fall?

i was also just accepted!!!! im from Louisiana! Does any one know about the loans!? i plan on attending in the fall!

i was also just accepted!!!! im from Louisiana! Does any one know about the loans!? i plan on attending in the fall!

Yeah, as of last summer they only award the $20,500 stafford loan to medical masters students and the tuition is more than what's stated on their website. Definitely call the financial aid/services office to discuss all of the details so you don't have any surprises.

Yeah, as of last summer they only award the $20,500 stafford loan to medical masters students and the tuition is more than what's stated on their website. Definitely call the financial aid/services office to discuss all of the details so you don't have any surprises.

ahavah, do you know if that will cover the complete cost of the program duration?

Anyone have any experience in the UpperClassmen (sp?) dorms? or is it better to just find a place?

ahavah, do you know if that will cover the complete cost of the program duration?

If you want to finish the program in 12 months, it will cover the complete cost of tuition, books, and fees for credit hours, but it will not be enough to also cover living expenses [for most people]. So you would have to take out a private loan or complete the program in 1-2 years instead of simply one.

As far as getting a job to cover living expenses... students that have completed the program stated that it's extremely challenging to work and pass classes with a B or better. This is because the material is very thorough... possibly more thorough than UM Medical School for instance. But doable. :)

If you want to finish the program in 12 months, it will cover the complete cost of tuition, books, and fees for credit hours, but it will not be enough to also cover living expenses [for most people]. So you would have to take out a private loan or complete the program in 1-2 years instead of simply one.

As far as getting a job to cover living expenses... students that have completed the program stated that it's extremely challenging to work and pass classes with a B or better. This is because the material is very thorough... possibly more thorough than UM Medical School for instance. But doable. :)

thanks for the info ahavah :] ... Are you currently in the program ? From what I gather I would'n't want a job during the program since it's so time consuming.

I looked on the financial aid web page and saw that they now offer the grad plus loan for PA school and the Medical MMS program. The master in medical science program under Dr. Baldwin is the only medical masters that I see on their website so I assume that's the program that they mean but I haven't called to check. Let's hope so, it would be a huge help to everyone.

Just an update on the Grad Plus Loan at Mississippi College for the Master of Science in Biology (Medical Master). I spoke with the financial aid department yesterday and they verified that they DO now offer the Grad Plus Loan for the program.

Is there anyone from Texas going to MC this fall? :D

I'm from Texas MedChallege, and I'm contemplating going to the program. Have you decided to attend?I visited the campus this past weekend, and I still have some questions about the program before deciding if I'll attend yet.

Hi! I just got my acceptance email today! I'm deciding between this school and one more and waiting on some others. If you dont mind me asking, for those who are planning on attending or are currently attending MC, why did you choose to go there? I'm from CA, and was wondering how good this program would look if I want to apply to medical schools outside of Mississippi or is this a program that is better for those who want to attend a med school in state? What do you think are the pros/cons to MC? Would you recommend going there?

I know its a lot of question but thanks for any insight you can give me!

Hey,
Like any other masters, this will benefit you wherever you apply if you do well. I'd say 3.5 and above, which is a B+ avg.

I chose here because I did want to stay in the south for med school (and I am) but many get into schools across the country, whther they apply during the program or afterwards.

Cons.. well, it's rough. you have to do well for it to work for you. be prepared to do nothing else but study... much like med school. The exams in the 5-hour classes are maddening and ridiculous, but you learn the professors' ways and play to that. "Know everything" is a common phrase, so be prepared to literally know everything!

Otherwise, good thing it's in MS and there isn't really anything to do around here because you wouldn't be doing anything anyways. :laugh:

The program is good because you get a Masters degree vs a graduate certificate (maybe doesn't mean anything in the long run, but if i'm paying $20,000 i want a degree..) but just be prepared to do work!

Good luck!

I'm from Texas MedChallege, and I'm contemplating going to the program. Have you decided to attend?I visited the campus this past weekend, and I still have some questions about the program before deciding if I'll attend yet.

No, I haven't decided yet...I'm still waiting on word from a few other programs. One of the other programs I was accepted wants to know if I'm going to accept their offer in the next few days! Ah, tough decision...

What did you think about the campus? And the area?

No, I haven't decided yet...I'm still waiting on word from a few other programs. One of the other programs I was accepted wants to know if I'm going to accept their offer in the next few days! Ah, tough decision...

What did you think about the campus? And the area?

Depending on what your used to this area could be a culture shock for someone that comes from a larger city like us. That being said, I think it's doable, especially since there are no distractions in the area which would leave all of your time for studying. The campus is nice. It's hard to completely judge it since I went on the day of those massive storms last week. I'm still trying to decide if I want to spend that amount of money relocating versus staying in Texas and doing a master's here... Decisions, Decisions...

Depending on what your used to this area could be a culture shock for someone that comes from a larger city like us. That being said, I think it's doable, especially since there are no distractions in the area which would leave all of your time for studying. The campus is nice. It's hard to completely judge it since I went on the day of those massive storms last week. I'm still trying to decide if I want to spend that amount of money relocating versus staying in Texas and doing a master's here... Decisions, Decisions...

I agree it could be a good thing that there isn't much to do, but I mean, I would like some sort of way to take breaks when we'd need it. I'm sure it would be fine, though, and I'm looking forward to some sort of change in scenery since I've lived here all of my life (although in three different major cities here).

For those of you who have never visited the Clinton/Jackson area, here was my perception during my visit last summer:

Having never been to the deep south, I expected to be 20 miles from the nearest grocery store, and there to be a bunch of people running around in white hooded apparel. But surprisingly, Clinton was more diverse and less rural than I expected. There was a Subway (the eat fresh kind) as well as a Walmart and several grocery stores near campus, and everybody, on and off campus, was amicable.

Now you must understand that my sample size was small (I was only there for 1 day), and it is quite possible that I approached my visit with a warped perception, but overall the area was not as desolate as originally planned.

P.S. Dr. Baldwin said he would set up a Facebook group page for incoming Fall 2011 students to discuss living suggestions (roommates/apts, etc.) and other extraneous details.

Hey, if anyone out there is filling out there FASFA, you cannot apply to for the grad plus loan until after May 1st, it gives you an error that states they don't "accept" grad plus. I talked with the financial aid office after this and they said it was only because it didn't open up until May! Just fyi!!

Is anyone looking for a roommate?

So has anyone decided on what classes to take? Since the gross anatomy is full im thinking neuro, histo, and one of the 3hour courses like immun....... but if pharmacology is the only class available to take in the summer then im thinking about taking the endocrine and GI phys instead of histo since that is one of the prereqs.

weird, they told me we wont be able to register until tomorrow but I managed to get into my classes right now...

Hi guys, I registered today. I decided to sign up for two 5-credit classes, Anatomy and Phys and will also be taking Immunology. Anyone else taking the same classes in the fall?

Hi guys, I registered today. I decided to sign up for two 5-credit classes, Anatomy and Phys and will also be taking Immunology. Anyone else taking the same classes in the fall?

ill be in physiology neuroanatomuy and endocrine gi phys in the fall

I'm taking histo phys and immun....I wanted to take gross but he said it was already full and that we had to take our in the spring.

Hi Meled I thought anatomy was full too till I checked the class schedule yesterday. There's another section so I was able to sign up. :)

I'm taking histo phys and immun....I wanted to take gross but he said it was already full and that we had to take our in the spring.

Just a few questions, appreciate it!

Anyone attending MC from California? I'm a little scared to move from Los Angeles to Clinton, quite honestly. I don't know what to expect. Any tips or advice from residents/students of Mississippi?

Is it better to live on campus or off? Where should I look for places to rent? How is the weather like around the year?

Thanks!:)

Aimee163, where are you from in CA? are you looking for housing also? what made you decide on MC? I got accepted to another post-bac..not sure if I want to move all the way to mississippi yet.

JRWhiter, which med school did you get accepted to? Can you share your stats pre and post MC?? I haven't heard a lot about the program and want to make sure i'm making the right decision by moving out there to do the program. Thanks much!!!

I am from Mississippi but I now live in San Francisco. I got into the program and I am just waiting to sign up for classes. I spoke with Dr. Baldwin and he thinks I can do Anatomy, Med Phys, and Regular Phys. I hope there are still slots open. Also I think I am going to look for a roommate for the fall so if anyone is interested, let me know. I am a female and 27. Thanks y'all!!!

I'm from Texas and entering the program at MC in the fall. And I'm also looking for a roommate or two! I'm 26 and female. It'd be great to have people also in the program to study with. Please let me know!

I'm from Texas and entering the program at MC in the fall. And I'm also looking for a roommate or two! I'm 26 and female. It'd be great to have people also in the program to study with. Please let me know!

Oh, NO, not an aggie! :p

Oh dang, maybe I overdid the Aggie thing a little bit. ;)