Mississippi rural health scholarship program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlw03

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heard this piece on my way into work this morning: http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/201...o-solve-mississippis-m-d-shortage?ps=sh_sthdl

Any University of Mississippi students on here that care to comment on the program? To others, would you consider enrolling in this type of program in your own state if such a thing existed? Why or why not? For me, the answer is a simple no, for two reasons. 1) I'm a pathologist, and this program probably is only for FM, IM, or gen peds. 2) I'm in a minority group, and just wouldn't be willing to live and raise my kids without a community of my group. But I think these kinds of programs have a real shot at success, and I also think we need programs like this if we want physicians (rather than physician extenders) to remain the ones providing primary care in rural areas of the US.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I go to Mississippi State University, and they try to recruit fairly heavily here too. If i was actually from mississippi (and going into the right specialty), i would surely do this program. Because almost all of Mississipi is classified as "rural" or "underserved" or however they are calling the places nowadays. (its been 'rural' the past couple years). So you can end up very close to a major city or even your hometown where you might have always intended on setting up a practice, and get paid to go to med school to do it. but yes you are right about the specialties, though i believe that they want OB-Gyns too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Programs like these, while well intentioned, commit students way too early. Medical students frequently change their minds throughout the course of their training, so loan forgiveness programs that take effect after med school or residency would be more effective, in my opinion.

Heard this piece on my way into work this morning: http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/201...o-solve-mississippis-m-d-shortage?ps=sh_sthdl

Any University of Mississippi students on here that care to comment on the program? To others, would you consider enrolling in this type of program in your own state if such a thing existed? Why or why not? For me, the answer is a simple no, for two reasons. 1) I'm a pathologist, and this program probably is only for FM, IM, or gen peds. 2) I'm in a minority group, and just wouldn't be willing to live and raise my kids without a community of my group. But I think these kinds of programs have a real shot at success, and I also think we need programs like this if we want physicians (rather than physician extenders) to remain the ones providing primary care in rural areas of the US.
I just finished M2 boards yesterday at UMC. Out of the people I know that are in the program, most, if not all, like it. It limits you to primary care and a rural area, which is most of Mississippi baring Jackson area, the coastal area, and areas near Memphis. There are a few more "urban" areas throughout.

I agree with CatFactor about limiting you too early, but most people in the program here have known for a long time they wanted to return to their hometowns to work. In Mississippi, with so many small towns, if you want to go back home, you're going to be doing primary care. Why not get someone else to pay for it?

You can "buy" yourself out of it if you decide you do not want to do primary care. I also know of one M3 who decided on FM after rotation and joined on. He'll get 1.5 years paid for in return for 1.5 years working in a rural area, so it's not a decision that has to be made before you start M1. Overall, if you know you want to do primary care and want to return home, it's a great deal.

There's a handful of programs already like this out there.

LSU-NO has had something similar to this program for many years now (Class of 2005 was the first to graduate I think). Basically the same rules, tuition paid for in return for going into a Primary Care field (FM, IM, Peds, Gen. Surg, Ob/Gyn, Med/Peds) and working in a "rural" area in the state (57 of 64 parishes in the state). Not a bad gig if you know you want to stay in LA and do a primary care field. You can join in late (if they have room) or I think you can opt out as well (with tuition penalties I believe). In addition to the tuition, the other benefits include a more primary care/rural focused 3rd/4th year education that includes weekly preceptorships and other changes.

However, I think the school is moving away from this program and may have already stopped accepting new classes for this track.

I think the model the school is changing to is opening up a program with a 3-year curriculum that is geared towards students who want to go into a primary care field. The difference would be no tuition waivers (however, presumably the cost would be cheaper). But you still have the benefits of more focused clerkships and can qualify for loan forgiveness/repayment programs elsewhere after residency.

I know this last part is irrelevant to the topic, but I already typed it up, so deal with it. :laugh:

Intesting replies. Any comments on who is participating in these programs? Ie, any bias towards men/women? Racial background? Any non-Christian participants?

Also, curious if participants are allowed to do fellowships? That is, could one do an IM residency, fellowship in ID/GI/heme etc, return to do the program and practice both of the subspecialty and general IM? What I'm getting at is whether someone could participate if they wished to do something other than full-time primary care.

Intesting replies. Any comments on who is participating in these programs? Ie, any bias towards men/women? Racial background? Any non-Christian participants?

Also, curious if participants are allowed to do fellowships? That is, could one do an IM residency, fellowship in ID/GI/heme etc, return to do the program and practice both of the subspecialty and general IM? What I'm getting at is whether someone could participate if they wished to do something other than full-time primary care.
In order to participate in the program you will have to do full time primary care. Once you get done with your payback you can do whatever you want so if you desire fellowship nothing will be stopping you at that point. The only bias for the mississippi program is you have to attend the medical school in Jackson mississippi. You cannot go to school somewhere else and come back to MS and use the program. Gender or race are not considered.