Mississippi State 2020 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just received an RSVP confirmation, as well. Just barely over a week until my interview and the nerves are creeping up!

No nerves, you will do great!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a current 1st year. If anyone has questions about the interview process, the school, or the town, just send me a message and I'll be happy to talk to you. I know how stressful the application/interview process can be.

I'm a current 1st year. If anyone has questions about the interview process, the school, or the town, just send me a message and I'll be happy to talk to you. I know how stressful the application/interview process can be.
Best advise for interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Best advise for interview?
First of all, go to the pizza party the night before unless you really can't. It's an opportunity to meet 1st year students and other applicants and it helps to take the edge off the next day. Also, if I remember correctly, it's the only official tour of the college. I didn't want to go because anxiety but it was definitely good that I went.
On the day of the interview, relax as much as you can. I know this is borderline impossible because I know how we are. But do whatever you can. If a mug of tea chills you out, drink it. If a long run gets nervous energy out, do it. Most of the mistakes I made were because I was so nervous I could barely control my voice. I promise this is one of the most laid-back interviews you will have for vet school.
Don't talk negatively about yourself but also remember to be humble. One of my questions was: "Are you intelligent?" and I was so thrown off that I forgot there were more answers than yes or no.
They didn't really ask me anything outside of my areas of background and interest, but that's not a guarantee that you won't be asked.
The thing I wish I had known before my interview was the concept of One Health. If you're not familiar with the term, it's essentially the concept that animal medicine and human medicine are and should be connected. This goes to translational research, zoonoses, healthcare practices, and other topics that bridge both. They talk about it ALL the time here. Know about zoonotic diseases. I was asked a specific question and the answer they were looking for was "zoonotic disease."
If you haven't read it lately, reread your personal statement. One of my interviewers had mine in his hand that he had annotated and asked me about things I said. For example, I worked at a clinic that did TNR. He asked me if I knew the pros and cons of TNR.
I don't remember a lot of the specific questions I was asked. It was more conversational and followed my answers. If there's something you really want to talk about and see an opportunity, bring it up. The last question they asked me was "Is there anything we didn't already talk about that you want us to know?" Have something good prepared for this.

To sum up: Pizza party yes, chill if you can, One Health.

Reactions: 3 users
First of all, go to the pizza party the night before unless you really can't. It's an opportunity to meet 1st year students and other applicants and it helps to take the edge off the next day. Also, if I remember correctly, it's the only official tour of the college. I didn't want to go because anxiety but it was definitely good that I went.
On the day of the interview, relax as much as you can. I know this is borderline impossible because I know how we are. But do whatever you can. If a mug of tea chills you out, drink it. If a long run gets nervous energy out, do it. Most of the mistakes I made were because I was so nervous I could barely control my voice. I promise this is one of the most laid-back interviews you will have for vet school.
Don't talk negatively about yourself but also remember to be humble. One of my questions was: "Are you intelligent?" and I was so thrown off that I forgot there were more answers than yes or no.
They didn't really ask me anything outside of my areas of background and interest, but that's not a guarantee that you won't be asked.
The thing I wish I had known before my interview was the concept of One Health. If you're not familiar with the term, it's essentially the concept that animal medicine and human medicine are and should be connected. This goes to translational research, zoonoses, healthcare practices, and other topics that bridge both. They talk about it ALL the time here. Know about zoonotic diseases. I was asked a specific question and the answer they were looking for was "zoonotic disease."
If you haven't read it lately, reread your personal statement. One of my interviewers had mine in his hand that he had annotated and asked me about things I said. For example, I worked at a clinic that did TNR. He asked me if I knew the pros and cons of TNR.
I don't remember a lot of the specific questions I was asked. It was more conversational and followed my answers. If there's something you really want to talk about and see an opportunity, bring it up. The last question they asked me was "Is there anything we didn't already talk about that you want us to know?" Have something good prepared for this.

Thank you so much and YES I will be at the Pizza party also.

I cannot wait to interview at this school. From the pizza party, to the shuttle service, to the reserved hotel rooms to the hospitality of every student on here, it seems like a great place to be!

Reactions: 1 user
As an aside, are we getting mentors this year? I know that's been done in past years!

Nevermind, just reread my emails and saw that they'll contact us a few days before our interview!

Last edited:

I know there's a panel of 3-4 people interviewing you, but will they all have our application in front of them or should we bring extra copies of our application and/or resumes?

As an aside, are we getting mentors this year? I know that's been done in past years!

Nevermind, just reread my emails and saw that they'll contact us a few days before our interview!
We signed up last week but they still haven't given us our mentee assignments.

It's awesome you guys get reserved hotels and a shuttle. We didn't get that last year!

I know there's a panel of 3-4 people interviewing you, but will they all have our application in front of them or should we bring extra copies of our application and/or resumes?

I only had 2 people interviewing me but they might have changed that this year. I didn't need anything. Just my self. They had my application in front of them. If it eases your mind, you can always bring an extra copy of each but I didn't need it at all. There will also be a few people from administration at the pizza party. You can double check at that point.

Just heard from my mentor! I hope I didn't overwhelm them with questions! Lol

Members don't see this ad :)
My interview is in less than a week and I haven't heard anything from a mentor. I mean, if I don't get one, it's not a big deal. It would be kind of nice though!

Another question! I remember reading something about final decisions not going out until March, so does that mean those of us interviewing next week will not be notified until after all interviews are complete? I've seen on past MSU threads where people were notified within 1-2 weeks, so I'm just curious. I'm IS, if that makes a difference.

My interview is in less than a week and I haven't heard anything from a mentor. I mean, if I don't get one, it's not a big deal. It would be kind of nice though!
We just got our mentee assignments about 4 hours ago and we have a big test Friday. Hopefully you'll hear from your mentor before then but I wouldn't be totally shocked if they don't email until Friday afternoon.

Another question! I remember reading something about final decisions not going out until March, so does that mean those of us interviewing next week will not be notified until after all interviews are complete? I've seen on past MSU threads where people were notified within 1-2 weeks, so I'm just curious. I'm IS, if that makes a difference.
I interviewed February 10 last year and I found out I was waitlisted around the beginning of March if that helps. Also, to anyone that does happen to get waitlisted, they tend to move really far down the oos waitlist but they won't call until after the acceptance deadline (is it April 15 every year?)

We just got our mentee assignments about 4 hours ago and we have a big test Friday. Hopefully you'll hear from your mentor before then but I wouldn't be totally shocked if they don't email until Friday afternoon.

Thank you! I can definitely understand that. You wouldn't happen to have any idea of how many IS applicants they interview, would you? From what I've seen, it seems that most of the OOS applicants don't interview until February. I've hardly seen anyone on past threads who are actually MS residents, so I'm just trying to get a somewhat reasonable measure on my chances. :rolleyes:

I got a phone call that I was accepted exactly a week from my interview date. They're pretty speedy at Mississippi. I was OOS and ended up going to my IS...but I did like Mississippi, and they do notify you of your status very quickly!

Thank you! I can definitely understand that. You wouldn't happen to have any idea of how many IS applicants they interview, would you? From what I've seen, it seems that most of the OOS applicants don't interview until February. I've hardly seen anyone on past threads who are actually MS residents, so I'm just trying to get a somewhat reasonable measure on my chances. :rolleyes:
Last year they interviewed about 60 IS people and we found out like 3 days later if we got in

Thanks for the tips. I
I'm IS and interviewing on the 26th. I've read that about 40 seats are available for IS residents and wonder what my chances are, too. Do they interview every IS resident who applies?

I only had 2 people interviewing me but they might have changed that this year. I didn't need anything. Just my self. They had my application in front of them. If it eases your mind, you can always bring an extra copy of each but I didn't need it at all. There will also be a few people from administration at the pizza party. You can double check at that point.
Do you happen to know how many they interview for OOS and also SC contract seats?

Thanks for the tips. I

I'm IS and interviewing on the 26th. I've read that about 40 seats are available for IS residents and wonder what my chances are, too. Do they interview every IS resident who applies?
They don't interview every IS that applies! And yes, half of the class is IS seats but there are 17 or 18 early entry students that take an IS seat.

They don't interview every IS that applies! And yes, half of the class is IS seats but there are 17 or 18 early entry students that take an IS seat.
Oh ok. I forgot about the early entry students. That makes sense!

Do you happen to know how many they interview for OOS and also SC contract seats?
From my counts, they're interviewing about 325 students. Of those, about 50 are in state, about 30 are SC, and the rest are oos and WV students. That's a very rough count so please don't take it as gospel.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, perusing past threads it seems as though miss is pretty speedy about letting people know about acceptance. I think allowing at least a week after the interview is what we should expect.

From my counts, they're interviewing about 325 students. Of those, about 50 are in state, about 30 are SC, and the rest are oos and WV students. That's a very rough count so please don't take it as gospel.

Do you know if there was a large increase in the number of applicants from past years? I'm only curious because I know some other vet schools saw double the applicants!

I received an email from my mentor today! She seems super nice. I'm so nervous/excited for Monday and Tuesday!

Do you know if there was a large increase in the number of applicants from past years? I'm only curious because I know some other vet schools saw double the applicants!
I have no idea but I feel like last year had similar numbers

I have no idea but I feel like last year had similar numbers
This is a question for current students. What is MSU's stance on terminal surgeries? Do they do them in core classes with option to opt out, or only in electives?

This is a question for current students. What is MSU's stance on terminal surgeries? Do they do them in core classes with option to opt out, or only in electives?

I read in the pros and cons sticky thread that they operate on shelter animals that need procedures, and that you can opt out of terminal surgeries. Could have changed but that's what the sticky says!

I read in the pros and cons sticky thread that they operate on shelter animals that need procedures, and that you can opt out of terminal surgeries. Could have changed but that's what the sticky says!
The vet I work under said that was the situation when she was there in 2009, but didn't know if it had changed. I would probably opt out and try to get more varied hands-on surgical experience in an externship. I see the benefit of the experience, but I don't see why the animal couldn't be recovered, especially if it's adoptable otherwise. I'm just trying to prepare myself in case the topic comes up during the interview. I feel nervous today.

The vet I work under said that was the situation when she was there in 2009, but didn't know if it had changed. I would probably opt out and try to get more varied hands-on surgical experience in an externship. I see the benefit of the experience, but I don't see why the animal couldn't be recovered, especially if it's adoptable otherwise. I'm just trying to prepare myself in case the topic comes up during the interview. I feel nervous today.

And that's viable, seeing that you can get externships in your fourth year. You will do great!

We do our second year spays/neuters on shelter dogs. The dogs are only euthanized for medical reasons. They had a little presentation about how before they changed their policies, the students used to break in every year the night before they were to be put down and steal them. The former dean went out of his way to change it so we practice on shelter dogs instead. In fact, we're encouraged to adopt them following their surgeries. I even adopted one this year! The only terminal surgeries I've heard about here are surgeries on animals that were going to be euthanized for a different reason (i.e. GI surgery on a horse with laminitis). There may be more terminal surgeries I haven't heard about though.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone been able to get in touch with Missy about the inclement weather policy? No luck getting ahold of anyone today. I have a flight out of DC to Birmingham on Sunday, and I'm worried it may be cancelled. Anybody know about possibility of rescheduling or doing a Skype/phone interview?

Has anyone been able to get in touch with Missy about the inclement weather policy? No luck getting ahold of anyone today. I have a flight out of DC to Birmingham on Sunday, and I'm worried it may be cancelled. Anybody know about possibility of rescheduling or doing a Skype/phone interview?
A second year just told me that if you have a cancelled flight or other travel complications due to weather, you should contact Missy Hadaway immediately but not to stress about it because the admissions committee understands. They should be able to reschedule interviews.

Hello everyone! I did not apply to Mississippi this year, however I have a friend who is looking at applying next cycle and is getting some conflicting information about how Mississippi deals with retaking classes. Can anyone tell me whether they average or do grade replacement? Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Is the weather still going to be bad in that area through next week? Is it bad now? I missed out on all the winter (it's 70 where I am now) but I'm worried about getting stuck there!

[oQUOTE="rockatiel, post: 17354364, member: 638701"]Is the weather still going to be bad in that area through next week? Is it bad now? I missed out on all the winter (it's 70 where I am now) but I'm worried about getting stuck there![/QUOTE]you should check the weather... It was in the 60s today.

Is the weather still going to be bad in that area through next week? Is it bad now? I missed out on all the winter (it's 70 where I am now) but I'm worried about getting stuck there!

If you drive, there is pretty much no chance you'll get stuck here. The only way would be if you were flying in and you had flight problems due to bad weather elsewhere. From what people have told me, it almost never gets to a point where it's unsafe to drive here.

If you drive, there is pretty much no chance you'll get stuck here. The only way would be if you were flying in and you had flight problems due to bad weather elsewhere. From what people have told me, it almost never gets to a point where it's unsafe to drive here.

Good to hear. Thanks for taking the time to answer all of our questions!

Well, my interview is over and it wasn't too bad. There were 3 interviewers per "team" and the setup they had worked well, in my opinion. It was pretty laid back and mainly focused on stuff from my personal statement, although they did throw in a few curveballs here and there.

Just to be sure, the pizza party & tour are CASUAL casual? Not business casual, right? :p

Well, my interview is over and it wasn't too bad. There were 3 interviewers per "team" and the setup they had worked well, in my opinion. It was pretty laid back and mainly focused on stuff from my personal statement, although they did throw in a few curveballs here and there.

You're IS right? You should find out pretty soon! :)

Just to be sure, the pizza party & tour are CASUAL casual? Not business casual, right? :p

My mentor told me to dress nicely because Mississippi State is all about professional dress. Some of the admissions people will be there and she said earn brownie points wherever possible! It seemed like most people at my pizza party were in business casual.

You're IS right? You should find out pretty soon! :)

Yes! I'm hoping it'll be by the end of next week, based on what I've seen in previous years' threads on here.

Don't know if anyone here will be interviewing on Tuesday like I am, but the latest weather forecasts sure look nasty!

Headed to Starkville this morning! If you see a short-haired brunette from Louisiana either today or tomorrow come say hello! :)

I've only heard of terminal surgeries happening in advanced electives, but you have to choose that elective.