Missouri c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sprngstl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Application cycle is in full swing and someone's got to get this thread started.

Anyone else a giant ball of anxiety? Let's hear it, (potential) Future Tigers.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I wondered when this thread would pop up :whistle: :D
So exciting!!

Reactions: 1 users
Ah I was waiting for this thread! :D

If you have any questions about the application cycle, or Mizzou, just ask! One of us should be able to help you out. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
It can't be time for this again. Ahhh!!!

Yay!! It's about time this thread got started! :)

OMG... I can't believe this thread is up and going already!!! But I'm super excited for all you guys applying to Mizzou for the 2019 class!!!

If you guys have questions, don't hesitate to ask! There is a pretty active 2nd year class here on SDN and hopefully the incoming first years will stay active as well!!

Let's hear it, (potential) Future Tigers.

Current tiger, buuuttt....

M-I-Z..... Z-O-U!!!!!!

Guys I can't wait for fall and football season!!!! Those letters chanted out at the stadium is music to my ears :D

You guys are certainly active! It will be great to have some application veterans to throw questions at. Thank you in advance for all the help!

You guys are certainly active! It will be great to have some application veterans to throw questions at. Thank you in advance for all the help!

Are you IS or OOS?

In-state. Living and working in Columbia, actually. How's everyone loving their first year?

We actually finished up 1st year back in April and have been in our 2nd year since then. This week is finals and then we FINALLY get a bit of a break for summer. This block 5 has been so nice, I can't even describe it.

This week is finals and then we FINALLY get a bit of a break for summer. This block 5 has been so nice, I can't even describe it.
Part of me dreads the stress and workload until I think about how nice it will be to focus on just school - with work, school, volunteering, shadowing, and applying all happening at once, there's not a lot of room for anything else!

Part of me dreads the stress and workload until I think about how nice it will be to focus on just school - with work, school, volunteering, shadowing, and applying all happening at once, there's not a lot of room for anything else!
I was thinking the same thing, though looking at my schedule for this fall and hearing stories from upperclassmen has me convinced that school will be very stressful and busy, even without work, applying, and volunteering! It will be an interesting adventure for sure :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking the same thing, though looking at my schedule for this fall and hearing stories from upperclassmen has me convinced that school will be very stressful and busy, even without work, applying, and volunteering! It will be an interesting adventure for sure :)

You got that right!! School is like 2 full time jobs IMO.

I'm thinking about Mizzou :) My GPA is a little "meh", so I haven't decided yet :/

I'm thinking about Mizzou :) My GPA is a little "meh", so I haven't decided yet :/
My GPA leaves something to be desired as well. Thankfully MU has a nice little 6-year academic elimination option, "erasing" grades older than 6 years. It does wonders for that lacking GPA.

Application cycle is in full swing and someone's got to get this thread started.

Anyone else a giant ball of anxiety? Let's hear it, (potential) Future Tigers.
I'm applying for the c/o 2020, so I still have about a year, but... yes. Already. Very much yes.

Sending good vibes to all the c/o 2019 hopefuls here! I'll be watching this thread like a hawk! :whistle::luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay anxiety! Mine subsided and turned to excitement when the application opened. When interviews roll around, my adrenals will probably explode.

good luck guys! the whole process goes by faster than you think!

Ahh so nervous!! I applied to Mizzou :)

Have you already submitted your application?

I will have it in by the end of tomorrow just waiting on a teacher to get back to me on my final personal statement:)

Oh yay!!! I just seen this thread. I'm so excited for all you class of 2019 people. Good luck!!! :) I guess we are officially VM1's @Ashgirl , @beatles1964 , and @cowdoctr !!!

Oh yay!!! I just seen this thread. I'm so excited for all you class of 2019 people. Good luck!!! :) I guess we are officially VM1's @Ashgirl , @beatles1964 , and @cowdoctr !!!
I guess that really does makes us official now :)

Another hearty good luck to everyone applying for the class of 2019, I can't wait to meet some of you come interview time! :luck:

I will have it in by the end of tomorrow just waiting on a teacher to get back to me on my final personal statement:)
You are on top of things! I'm still wading through my PS and all of the descriptions for the experiences, etc. can't wait to be finished.

You are on top of things! I'm still wading through my PS and all of the descriptions for the experiences, etc. can't wait to be finished.

I was waiting on my personal statement too, but finally I had to stop editing it. It sounded really good, but I wanted it perfect and believe me that could have went on forever! So, I bit the bullet and took the best copy I had so I wouldn't go insane lol!

So, I bit the bullet and took the best copy I had so I wouldn't go insane lol!
I'm almost to that point (insane). Need to get some opinions on it first, then maybe I can wrap it up! Ugh.

Also, c/o 2017 and 2018, do you remember the questions you were asked in your interviews? I was hoping we could get a pool of past interview questions going; I always hear that MU's interviews are relatively friendly, but it always seems no interview is friendly to me :( thanks!

I'm almost to that point (insane). Need to get some opinions on it first, then maybe I can wrap it up! Ugh.

Also, c/o 2017 and 2018, do you remember the questions you were asked in your interviews? I was hoping we could get a pool of past interview questions going; I always hear that MU's interviews are relatively friendly, but it always seems no interview is friendly to me :( thanks!

Have you looked at the interview feedback section of SDN (it's on the main page)? It was extremely helpful when I was preparing for my interview. That being said, I think I remember them asking a few questions such as: "Why Mizzou?" "Why should we pick you?" "What's the difference between animal rights and animal welfare?"

Mizzou's interview to me was one of the more conversational and relaxing ones, and they made me feel quite comfortable even though I was very nervous and shaky. It was only 15 minutes (which is crazy compared to the hour and 45 minutes that some schools give), but they asked a ton of questions in the time and in the end I didn't feel rushed at all. Personally I thought it was very well done, and they did a good job to make you feel as comfortable as possible.

Have you looked at the interview feedback section of SDN (it's on the main page)? It was extremely helpful when I was preparing for my interview. That being said, I think I remember them asking a few questions such as: "Why Mizzou?" "Why should we pick you?" "What's the difference between animal rights and animal welfare?"

Mizzou's interview to me was one of the more conversational and relaxing ones, and they made me feel quite comfortable even though I was very nervous and shaky. It was only 15 minutes (which is crazy compared to the hour and 45 minutes that some schools give), but they asked a ton of questions in the time and in the end I didn't feel rushed at all. Personally I thought it was very well done, and they did a good job to make you feel as comfortable as possible.
Hour and forty-five minutes??? That would make me ill.

And I have looked at the feedback, but somehow overlooked that they had questions! Thank you! I primarily use a mobile device on this site, and apparently I am an old person on said mobile devices...

Thank you!

Hour and forty-five minutes??? That would make me ill.

And I have looked at the feedback, but somehow overlooked that they had questions! Thank you! I primarily use a mobile device on this site, and apparently I am an old person on said mobile devices...

Thank you!
Oops, I meant that one school had an hour interview, and a few others had 45 minutes, and quite a few had 30 minute interviews.

If you click on "survey results" and then on the "question" tab, you will find a bunch of interview questions.

I find for the interview questions they want to expand a lot on your experiences- at least for me they did. They asked about my research, a project I did, anything I had to add since the application was due, things I like to do for fun. I only had one other interview besides Mizzou (at my IS, VMRCVM) and that is an MMI and it was super stressful compared to the very relaxing Mizzou interview. No need to worry about interviews yet, or even at all, honestly. I flew into CoMo knowing zero about Mizzou and fell in love with it here.

No need to worry about interviews yet, or even at all, honestly. I flew into CoMo knowing zero about Mizzou and fell in love with it here.

Ha! It's never to early for me to worry about interviews. I thought I was bad at public speaking until I hit the real world and started interviewing for real jobs. Hello new greatest weakness. I just want to be well prepared :) so thank you guys for your help!

To prepare for mine I read all the interview feedback questions and thought of how I would answer them. It helped having an idea of what to say, but they really do personalize the interviews based on experience. Some of my questions were, "How did you like working at a zoo?" "How often do pets need rabies vaccines?" "If you had a 9 week old puppy who is vomiting and having diarrhea with no history of vaccines, what would you suspect?" "Tell me about being a chemistry tutor. Did you enjoy it?" And then the basic "why should we choose you over someone equally as qualified?" and "why Mizzou?" I would just make sure you know your application really well.

Interviews are horribly nerve-wracking to me too, but I agree the interview feedback section really helped! I interviewed this year and was rejected, but I'm reapplying. I felt a lot more confident in my interview than I thought I would, because I also read over all the past questions in the interview feedback section and thought of how I would answer them. The fifteen minutes goes by FAST, but personally I prefer that to a long, grueling interview. I haven't interviewed at any other vet schools, but I would think although longer interviews give you and your interviewers more time to get comfortable and cover more, it also gives you more time to mess up!

But anyway, you've got 5-7 months (depending on if you're OOS or IS) before interview invites are sent out, so I say cross that bridge when you come to it!

Thanks for the advice, MnW and Lyra. I'm so glad that there is a huge question bank available. I feel like that really narrows down the scope of what they're interested in asking. I'm hoping to start some mock interviews over at the career center... Hopefully bring some familiarity in to squelch the nerves...

Definitely check out the interview feedback link for any school you get an interview (http://schools.studentdoctor.net/school/umo-vet/survey/26). I added the questions I was asked during my Mizzou interview on 1/4/14 if you want to put them to a name. I interviewed with SGU, Mizzou, Iowa State, and Purdue, but Mizzou's was definitely the most comfortable and conversational.

Late to the party, but I can't believe this thread is up already. Seems like just yesterday I was loading up my car to drive across the country to CoMo. But now I'm a VM2 and 5/11 of the way done with classes. Time flies, y'all

Anybody want to fill me in on what all Mizzou requires in their supplemental application?
I would really appreciate the help:)

Anybody want to fill me in on what all Mizzou requires in their supplemental application?
I would really appreciate the help:)
It's been a bit, so I could be off here, but from what I remember the supplemental application was pretty straightforward and didn't take too long to complete. Most of it required you to fill out a lot of stuff you put on your VMCAS (address, background, courses required), and of course there was a section on dividing up your animal/veterinary experience. There was one odd question on ACT/SAT scores and high school class rank, but if I remember right it was optional, and I honestly don't think they take that into consideration.

The best part is no essays :)

It's been a bit, so I could be off here, but from what I remember the supplemental application was pretty straightforward and didn't take too long to complete. Most of it required you to fill out a lot of stuff you put on your VMCAS (address, background, courses required), and of course there was a section on dividing up your animal/veterinary experience. There was one odd question on ACT/SAT scores and high school class rank, but if I remember right it was optional, and I honestly don't think they take that into consideration.

No essays, THAT is what I love to hear right now! I am gonna go get this done then:)

Must've changed it since I applied. I remember there were three short answer/paragraph questions, but I remember working on them a fair amount.

Must've changed it since I applied. I remember there were three short answer/paragraph questions, but I remember working on them a fair amount.
I believe starting last year they completely cut out the essays for the supplemental application (unless they changed it back this year). It was very nice to have a supplemental without spending eons worrying about writing a short essay.

Well dang! They must have done away with that after I applied then! I spent a decent amount of time on those 3 essays!! Glad they got rid of that for you guys!! I think the PS is enough!!

I believe starting last year they completely cut out the essays for the supplemental application (unless they changed it back this year). It was very nice to have a supplemental without spending eons worrying about writing a short essay.

Of course that is my luck. Ah well, glad you all don't have to write as much.

When entering the classes in the supplemental application it asks for the department of the class. Am I looking too much into this, is it just the BL such that you would see with BL 101 or is it simply Biology? All these applications are messing with my head haha!

When entering the classes in the supplemental application it asks for the department of the class. Am I looking too much into this, is it just the BL such that you would see with BL 101 or is it simply Biology? All these applications are messing with my head haha!

It's been a while, but I think I remember listing the course as the abbreviation plus the number, and then the department separately, i.e. BIO 101, then 'Biology' under department if it asks for it. And I think if lab was separate, you can indicate that as a separate course listing. Just try to keep it consistent with however you listed courses on VMCAS. It's dumb how schools want you to relist everything on the supplementals you already listed on VMCAS, but there's not much you can do about it.

Sounds like a good plan to me! Thanks for the help!

I had heard about the 3 supplemental essays and I'm so glad they threw them out. My PS is taking long enough.

Hi guys! I am thinking about applying to Mizzou but I am worried that my GPA is not even good enough to be considered, because I know they put such an emphasis on grades. My cumulative is 3.62, last 45 is 3.85, and I believe my science is around a 3.4... should I even bother applying here?

Hi guys! I am thinking about applying to Mizzou but I am worried that my GPA is not even good enough to be considered, because I know they put such an emphasis on grades. My cumulative is 3.62, last 45 is 3.85, and I believe my science is around a 3.4... should I even bother applying here?

I think you totally should! I believe I had around a 3.7 cumulative when I applied (cannot remember any of my other grades), but I'd throw your hat in the ring.