Missouri c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those that have already accepted their seat, is there some sort of confirmation that the school received your money and paperwork? I'm just curious since I'm officially mailing the letters out tomorrow morning! :D
Kathy will send you an email! Don't expect them to deposit your check anytime near when they get it though :p

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Are there good study spots at the CVM? I'm notoriously terrible at studying at home, and was wondering if there were any study rooms or anything like that. Also, do we have access to the main university library, or just the veterinary medical library? Because 8:00 PM seems like waayyyy too early of a closing time for how much studying we have to do!

Thanks! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are there good study spots at the CVM? I'm notoriously terrible at studying at home, and was wondering if there were any study rooms or a close library with good hours, etc.

There's a few options that come to mind:
1) CVM Library. The hours aren't the greatest (especially on the weekends), but if you need a quiet place to study, the library is a good spot.
2) Classrooms/Studyrooms. These are dispersed throughout school, and while you might have to move every once and awhile (during the school day), there are several rooms where you can plop down and study, either alone or with a group.
3)On-campus places. While I've only been there once or twice, the main campus library/ student center is a great place to study, if you can find parking.
4)Off-Campus. There are SO many small coffee shops and the like that you can find here scattered around town. Very great for studying, though you might have to deal with crowds on the weekend.

It's funny, when I first arrived at school in the fall I was so excited to study at school, but to be honest, (at least for me), being there for 40+ hours a week and then going there extra to study was just too much. I definitely needed a change in scenery, which you can get through the on and off-campus places I mentioned.

There's also the health professions library which is pretty nice. They have a while quiet for with study rooms and individual cubicles as well. They're open most nights until midnight.

Are there good study spots at the CVM? I'm notoriously terrible at studying at home, and was wondering if there were any study rooms or anything like that. Also, do we have access to the main university library, or just the veterinary medical library? Because 8:00 PM seems like waayyyy too early of a closing time for how much studying we have to do!

The on campus student center is pretty nice especially on the weekends! Also, I really like the public library! Its pretty awesome! Im with @Ashgirl , you spend enough time at school that you probably wont want to spend extra time there.. especially once anatomy is done... this time last year we were spending so much time in the lab studying and now I cant even imagine studying at school!!! Ive also found that I can find much more comfy places to study than sitting in the chairs that I already sit in all day- which btw are not that comfortable... And in comfy clothes!!! We cant wear "comfy clothes" to school except after regular school hours....so if i've gone home and gotten in the grove of things, theres no way im going back hahah.. Comfort is def a priority to me - especially if your spending 5+ hours studying most nights.

On the subject of comfy clothes, how strict is the dress code policy? Are jeans, leggings, tshirts, and hoodies absolute no-go's?

Your class will decide on the dress code, but in general, we wear jeans, t-shirts, hoodies are all okay. No clothing from any schools other than Mizzou. Our class decided national sports team logos were okay. Our class also decided nice flip flops were okay. It really depends on what your class will vote on.

Just a quick note on my study habits- I do not like studying anywhere besides home. I guess because I have my two dogs. But also we are here so much, I don't want to be at school any longer than I have to be.

On the subject of comfy clothes, how strict is the dress code policy? Are jeans, leggings, tshirts, and hoodies absolute no-go's?
A lot of people worry about the dress code, but for the most part it's not bad at all, and personally I wear the same thing I would normally wear to school (jeans, t-shirt or blouse). There are some things you can't change (like wearing only Mizzou related t-shirts), but your class can vote on a bunch of it, including relaxed dress-code after hours, flip-flops, that sort of thing.

Like razzledazzleme said, the med school library is another good option if you like the library setting for studying. They have longer hours and it's open to vet students. A lot of my classmates study there. For me personally, I used to study at the school a lot but like Ashgirl mentioned, when you spend 8+ hrs some days in one building a change of scenery helps a lot. Your study habits will change as you get used to the curriculum so just try a few places and see what works best for you.

Some pretty much non-negotiable dress code items : Leggings cannot be worn as pants... But you can wear leggings under a dress... No yoga pants, sweat pants or athletic shorts.... No jeans with holes- but some people push this one a bit... No other schools but mizzou.. I feel like most logos are fine as long as there isn't profanity and drugs/ alcohol... No scrubs except in the lab..

Jean/ khaki/ nice Shorts are fine as long as they are of a nice length.. I personally wear the heck outta jeans, mizzou t shirts, and hoodies. It's as comfortable as it gets IMO plus sometimes the lecture halls can be a bit cold.

The dress code is "policed" by the students so the first couple weeks will be the sort it out period and then it just becomes second nature and you know what to/ not to wear.

But for reals, the dress code is not as bad as it sounds!! So much better then being in professional attire all day everyday!!

In clinics you have to dress in business casual for a lot of rotations so I'm basically going to have to buy a whole new wardrobe!!

The whole voting on which parts of the dress code thing started in the class that is now third years. My class (fourth years, what what!) didn't vote, just went with whatever people wanted as long as you weren't showing too much. It's very class dependent what the dress code actually is despite having the written dress code...

So what about t shirts that aren't school related? Like if I have a movie or game shirt?

Members don't see this ad :)
So what about t shirts that aren't school related? Like if I have a movie or game shirt?
For the most part, nerd shirts aren't really encouraged, though I think your class can vote on it (not 100% sure on it, our class usually refrains from wearing other logos, though I've seen a few upper-years wear some :shrug:).

For the most part, nerd shirts aren't really encouraged, though I think your class can vote on it (not 100% sure on it, our class usually refrains from wearing other logos, though I've seen a few upper-years wear some :shrug:).

What are the punishments for breaking these laws? :p

30 lashes

Eye lashes??

I feel with my short term memory and my lack of caring about anything clothes related will cause me to forget/not care.. If I end up here my class better be ready to chill when they have to deal with me.

I, for one, wear my nerd shirts with pride when I can. Our class has a bit more lax of a dress code than the class below us. Got my Big Hero 6/Totoro shirt on today. Though, usually I'm wearing a hoodie, too :p

Our class made some nerdy t-shirts (one was HP themed) as fundraisers, so that's always an option if you feel like you need more nerdy clothes you can wear to class.

Ill just put Mizzou stickers on all my shirts. Problem solved.

Reactions: 2 users
IS finds out soon, yes? Good luck!

What's a good time-line to have an apartment sign for? I have no idea what I'm doing and would prefer to live with at least one person from my class. Some schools send around a "roommate survey" type thing. Does MU do this?

What's a good time-line to have an apartment sign for? I have no idea what I'm doing and would prefer to live with at least one person from my class. Some schools send around a "roommate survey" type thing. Does MU do this?

No they don't, but there are a ton of people on the class FB page looking for roomies!! I'd say that would be the best avenue for you since you want to live with a fellow student!

I'm starting to see lots of ads for apartments/duplex for rent signs going up. Now is a good time to start looking, so you can get your top choice of place to live, but you won't be totally hung out to dry if you have to wait a bit.
The school itself doesn't send out anything about housing (in fact, they sort of ignore you most of the summer before your first year- don't panic when you don't hear from them). But if you join the class of 2019's Facebook page, you'll get inundated with posts from incoming first years as well as upperclassmen who need a roommate, or are passing on lease info, or have a place to sell.

Have any ISers heard back? I think I saw the "after April 1" statement, but I wouldn't complain if it arrived sooner!

Have any ISers heard back? I think I saw the "after April 1" statement, but I wouldn't complain if it arrived sooner!
Last year ISer's heard back March 23-25th, so it has to be close for you!

If you are absolutely dying to know, you can always email Kathy and just ask when acceptances might come out, she's awesome and more than willing to help! :)

Nothing yet for this In-Stater, but word on the street is, they will out acceptances via email and postal by mid-week, should all go as planned. New this year for IS applicants.

Sprngstl- word on the street is they'll send out acceptances THIS week? Man..would that be awesome.

Sprngstl- word on the street is they'll send out acceptances THIS week? Man..would that be awesome.

Yes, as in as soon as tomorrow! Kathy: "Suppose to go out by email and postal mail mid week if all goes as planned." As if checking the mail wasn't heartache enough. I do like the instant nature of the email, though. That way, there's no major variability in when applicants receive notice. That would probably be less work for them as well - they'd have to deal with far fewer emails about "my friend got their letter but I didn't get mine, etc."

Yes, as in as soon as tomorrow! Kathy: "Suppose to go out by email and postal mail mid week if all goes as planned." As if checking the mail wasn't heartache enough. I do like the instant nature of the email, though. That way, there's no major variability in when applicants receive notice. That would probably be less work for them as well - they'd have to deal with far fewer emails about "my friend got their letter but I didn't get mine, etc."
:scared: Commence freaking out! Honestly I don't think I'll be too upset if it's a rejection/waitlist, I'm just ready to know either way! And seriously glad they changed their minds and decided to send emails, my letter getting lost in the mail last year was torture.

Looks like emails just went out. I have a friend that just found out. Good luck all!

Excited to hear who will be joining us in the fall!! Hoping for all you SDNers!

Just saw someone post on FB about it... Good luck you guys!!

Rejected. :( I'm more sad about it than I expected. I really hoped I would at least be waitlisted this time. But I'm ready to move forward and start making plans for the next year. I've spent way too much of the past year being stressed out and unhappy. Plus now I get to go for the symmetry of graduating high school in 2010 and vet school in 2020. ;)

I'm accepted!!!! This is the happiest day of my life!!

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted!!! Crying happy tears! Hoping to hear good news for everyone else too! Also...I heard rumors of a Facebook page for class of 2019? If anyone knows anything let me know I'd love to get to know my new classmates!!

Accepted!!! Crying happy tears! Hoping to hear good news for everyone else too! Also...I heard rumors of a Facebook page for class of 2019? If anyone knows anything let me know I'd love to get to know my new classmates!!
I will send it to you if no one else has by the time I get off work tn

Search MU CVM Class of 2019 and ask to join. I don't know how to send a link otherwise I would!

If you go back a few pages on this thread I believe it was posted!

Rejected. :( I'm more sad about it than I expected. I really hoped I would at least be waitlisted this time. But I'm ready to move forward and start making plans for the next year. I've spent way too much of the past year being stressed out and unhappy. Plus now I get to go for the symmetry of graduating high school in 2010 and vet school in 2020. ;)
That's the spirit! You and I can work on battering down our respective IS schools together next year :)

What are the punishments for breaking these laws? :p

The fashion police in my class (aka the officers) decided that if you violate the dress code, you need to do an extra Zou Crew cleaning shift. Everyone has to clean the Zou (school cafe) once your first year on a Friday afternoon, but if you violate the dress code, you need to work an additional shift. Scrubbing microwaves...basically hard core jail time... :nailbiting:

The fashion police in my class (aka the officers) decided that if you violate the dress code, you need to do an extra Zou Crew cleaning shift. Everyone has to clean the Zou (school cafe) once your first year on a Friday afternoon, but if you violate the dress code, you need to work an additional shift. Scrubbing microwaves...basically hard core jail time... :nailbiting:

Microwaves are easy. Come at me bro.

Maybe I'll run for officer. Then what? I'll cause all the problems and be untouchable!

Microwaves are easy. Come at me bro.

Maybe I'll run for officer. Then what? I'll cause all the problems and be untouchable!
I've gotten away with wearing scrubs for an hour in class before anatomy lab. I'm a rebel, I know.

Hi can anyone explain what exactly and externship/preceptorship is? I know they're during school whereas internships happen after graduating... Is it possible to do an externship this summer before beginning vet school? I'm not trying to be overambitious just want to "shadow/observe" at this barn :D

Last edited:
Externships/preceptorships are only affected by the CVM once you start clinics in 3rd year.

Basically, you can do an externship for any length of time at any vet clinic/university/govt facility/wherever you want in your free blocks on clinics. You don't have to get this approved by the school or anything.

You are required to do 2 preceptorships at clinics that have a contract with the university. These are 2 weeks long each. They have a database of clinics that have filled out the contract, but it is not hard to add a new clinic to the database, so you can essentially go to any private practice you want to for these preceptorships.

The difference between an externship and a preceptorship at Mizzou is the preceptorships are evaluated, meaning you are graded on a pass/fail basis by the doctor you are working with.

The office that organizes clinics scheduling and preceptorship stuff can certainly help you find a clinic to spend time at during any other free time you have throughout vet school if you want, but you can also set those experiences up independently since they don't have to be reported to school.

I was under the impression that all schools had to give you a decision before April 15... But I received an email stating that my application is on hold until then, after which I will either be accepted or waitlisted. I'm freaking out because I have to give K-State my decision by April 15, and Mizzou is my in-state school and my top choice. What do I do?!?