Missouri c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys! I am thinking about applying to Mizzou but I am worried that my GPA is not even good enough to be considered, because I know they put such an emphasis on grades. My cumulative is 3.62, last 45 is 3.85, and I believe my science is around a 3.4... should I even bother applying here?

Absolutely apply! When I applied my cumulative GPA was 3.59, science GPA was 3.46, and last 45 was 3.68, and I got in. Your grades really aren't bad at all!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys! I am thinking about applying to Mizzou but I am worried that my GPA is not even good enough to be considered, because I know they put such an emphasis on grades. My cumulative is 3.62, last 45 is 3.85, and I believe my science is around a 3.4... should I even bother applying here?
I'm re-applying after getting rejected this past cycle, and based on how Mizzou calculates it I have a cumulative 3.42 and last 45 3.29, which I was told in my file review is competitive. Granted I'm IS, but I'd also say definitely go for it! If it helps, Mizzou doesn't calculate a science GPA. :)

Thanks for your input! I think that I'm definitely going to add Mizzou to my list for this year!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have tips or info on the Missouri stats and what they're looking for? Do they weigh the last 45 heavier? Anything helps! Thank you :):)

Does anyone have tips or info on the Missouri stats and what they're looking for? Do they weigh the last 45 heavier? Anything helps! Thank you :):)

Here's the statistics for class of 2018 if you are interested: http://cvm.missouri.edu/characteristics.htm

For the last 45 GPA, it is worth 10% of the academic score (40% total), while the cumulative GPA is worth 20%, course load 6%, (12 credits = 0, and 18 credits = 6), and the GRE is worth 4%

Mizzou is my number one choice right now! A lot of that has to do with Missouri's goat population. :p

My CUMGPA (including grad classes) is 3.9
According to Mizzou they take the last 3 semesters in to account for the "Last 45 GPA" so mine is 4.0 (although that's only 40 credits)

I'm out of state and I read on here somewhere that mizzou will let you apply for in state tuition after the first year. Is that still true? Also does it have any focus for wildlife or zoo med?
Yes, you can apply for in-state tutition after the first year, and from what I hear it's not that hard to do.

As for your second question, I'm not 100% sure, though I know I heard during the interview that there aren't very many exotics that come into the VMTH. There is a raptor rehabilitation program, and with more clinics I believe (don't quote me on this) there is more room for prectorships, which you could use to pursue zoo med/exotics if you choose.

I'm out of state and I read on here somewhere that mizzou will let you apply for in state tuition after the first year. Is that still true? Also does it have any focus for wildlife or zoo med?

Yes you can apply for residency after your first year of school. Our wildlife / zoo program is pretty limited. However we do have a partnership with the University of Tennessee and we alternate hosting an exotics symposium. This school year Is Mizzou's turn. Like stated above, we do have a pretty active raptor rehab club. Missouri is also a state with pretty lenient exotics laws/ regulations so there are a lot of local wildlife / exotic animal parks... I know our zoo club went to a park that had some tigers and other things. We also have a program set up that takes student to South Africa every summer to do some wildlife/ conservation work..

Vet school is what you make of it. And if your interested in exotics/ wildlife/ zoo med you can find opportunities to get experience in that field (and that is the case at any school, not just Mizzou).

There is a guy in my class who is wanting to go into zoo med. He has spent his summer in California at a zoo doing research on desert tortoises. And he's also going to the zoo med symposium this fall... So it's definitely possible to get experience in the field at Mizzou!!

For the supplemental app, I'm having trouble figuring out how to break down my experience with animals into categories. I currently work at an SA clinic where in addition to dogs and cats we see birds, rabbits, reptiles, pocket pets, etc. I don't even know where to begin in coming up with an estimate of how many hours of experience I have with those "other animals" as opposed to just dogs and cats. Should I do my best to come up with a conservative estimate and lump all of my experience with "other animals" at this clinic into one entry? Break it down more specifically than that (e.g. my hours of experience with birds, hours of experience with reptiles, etc.)? Or include all of my hours at this clinic in one "other animals" entry and hope they figure it out based on my description of my experience there on VMCAS? I'll email Kathy if necessary, but I'm curious if anyone else here had a similar situation, and if so how you handled it.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the supplemental app, I'm having trouble figuring out how to break down my experience with animals into categories. I currently work at an SA clinic where in addition to dogs and cats we see birds, rabbits, reptiles, pocket pets, etc. I don't even know where to begin in coming up with an estimate of how many hours of experience I have with those "other animals" as opposed to just dogs and cats. Should I do my best to come up with a conservative estimate and lump all of my experience with "other animals" at this clinic into one entry? Break it down more specifically than that (e.g. my hours of experience with birds, hours of experience with reptiles, etc.)? Or include all of my hours at this clinic in one "other animals" entry and hope they figure it out based on my description of my experience there on VMCAS? I'll email Kathy if necessary, but I'm curious if anyone else here had a similar situation, and if so how you handled it.

I worked at a similar clinic and just listed it under small animal and in the description I added that we saw some other critters like birds and pocket pets. Don't hesitate to talk to Kathy if your still unsure, she is great and always wiling to help!!

I worked at a similar clinic and just listed it under small animal and in the description I added that we saw some other critters like birds and pocket pets. Don't hesitate to talk to Kathy if your still unsure, she is great and always wiling to help!!
That's what I did on VMCAS, but on the supplemental there are just boxes to fill in your number of hours of experience with a vet with that category of animal, the veterinarian(s) you worked with, and your hours of experience with that category of animal without a vet. It's broken down into companion animal (dogs and cats), food animal, equine, lab animal, and other (zoo, birds, reptiles, pocket pets, wildlife, etc.). Maybe it was different a couple years ago and there was space for descriptions?

That's what I did on VMCAS, but on the supplemental there are just boxes to fill in your number of hours of experience with a vet with that category of animal, the veterinarian(s) you worked with, and your hours of experience with that category of animal without a vet. It's broken down into companion animal (dogs and cats), food animal, equine, lab animal, and other (zoo, birds, reptiles, pocket pets, wildlife, etc.). Maybe it was different a couple years ago and there was space for descriptions?

Ohh... That's right... Ok for that I broke it down then and just estimated how much time I had.. Are there multiple other spots? If there is I would break it down for each type of animal.. PP, birds, reptile... I remember putting pocket pets for sure and I just estimated about how much time I spent with a pocket pet a week and multiplied that by how many weeks I worked. Hope that helps!

Ohh... That's right... Ok for that I broke it down then and just estimated how much time I had.. Are there multiple other spots? If there is I would break it down for each type of animal.. PP, birds, reptile... I remember putting pocket pets for sure and I just estimated about how much time I spent with a pocket pet a week and multiplied that by how many weeks I worked. Hope that helps!
Looking at it again, it looks like there's just the one space to put all of your experience hours with other animals. I'll do my best to come up with an estimate then. Thanks! If only I'd remembered this from last year, I could have been keeping track of how much time I spend with other species all along!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all! I just rediscovered SDN after forgetting about it for a while (thanks Kpow for posting on FB!). The class of 2018 is currently at VET, with the help of some 2017-ers. Any 2019 hopefuls that end up at Mizzou will be there about this time next year!!!

I'm currently a 3rd year, so if y'all have any questions that the handy 2nd years can't answer, I'll try my best. Good luck on your apps! :)

Hey all! I just rediscovered SDN after forgetting about it for a while (thanks Kpow for posting on FB!). The class of 2018 is currently at VET, with the help of some 2017-ers. Any 2019 hopefuls that end up at Mizzou will be there about this time next year!!!

I'm currently a 3rd year, so if y'all have any questions that the handy 2nd years can't answer, I'll try my best. Good luck on your apps! :)
This might be a dumb question, but what is VET?

This might be a dumb question, but what is VET?

It's the orientation program for incoming first years. You spend 4 days down at the Lake of the Ozarks doing team building activities. It's a reasonably decent time.
I think it stands for veterinary enrichment and team building maybe?

It's the orientation program for incoming first years. You spend 4 days down at the Lake of the Ozarks doing team building activities. It's a reasonably decent time.
I think it stands for veterinary enrichment and team building maybe?
Okay, thanks! I'd guessed it was some sort of orientation.

Okay, thanks! I'd guessed it was some sort of orientation.

I'd like to add that the entire experience was absolutely fantastic! I couldn't have asked for a better welcome into the Mizzou family.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey everyone! I am applying next summer so I will be scoping out the post periodically throughout the process! Mizzou is my in state so good luck to you all!

Hey all Mizzou people, I've got a question for you.

I've filled out all of my supplemental but I keep hesitating on pushing the submit button because of two big ZEROS staring at me.

I have 3000 hours worth of small animal, I have 3000 hours worth of large animal, I have 2500 hours worth of research but...

I have absolutely NO experience with lab animals, pocket pets, or exotics. I never dealt with mice, rats or bunnies. Back when I was a teenager I had a couple friends who had a bunny, or ferrets, or a rat, or a snake, etc. but I feel like that's really stretching it to put those couple of hours of coddling/feeding on my vet school application.

As a child, I would try to raise baby birds I found and pretty much all of them would die so....

Having only two weeks before deadline and being extra busy in graduate school, how important is the lab animal experience? I mean, have you found that Mizzou cares way more about experience in every category as opposed to really in-depth experience in a few? I'm just contemplating how much it would hurt my application if I didn't go find some rats to play with...and also where I would find said rats.

I've filled out all of my supplemental but I keep hesitating on pushing the submit button because of two big ZEROS staring at me.

I have 3000 hours worth of small animal, I have 3000 hours worth of large animal, I have 2500 hours worth of research but...

I have absolutely NO experience with lab animals, pocket pets, or exotics. I never dealt with mice, rats or bunnies. Back when I was a teenager I had a couple friends who had a bunny, or ferrets, or a rat, or a snake, etc. but I feel like that's really stretching it to put those couple of hours of coddling/feeding on my vet school application.

As a child, I would try to raise baby birds I found and pretty much all of them would die so....

Having only two weeks before deadline and being extra busy in graduate school, how important is the lab animal experience? I mean, have you found that Mizzou cares way more about experience in every category as opposed to really in-depth experience in a few? I'm just contemplating how much it would hurt my application if I didn't go find some rats to play with...and also where I would find said rats.
By glancing at your postings, it looks like you have a solid GPA, and it looks like a good application overall.

As for experience, I have met several classmates who have never touched a cow before (and I only had a handful of hours with exotics myself), so getting in without any experience in one or more categories is very possible. I would say that while Mizzou does seem to look at whether you have experience in every area, it's only one part of your overall application. Honestly, if you have a solid academic application, and do well in the interview/other non-academic things, I don't think not having experience in exotics will hinder your application.

I'm just a fellow applicant, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I agree that I wouldn't stress over it. I bet only a small percentage of people applying have experience in EVERY category. Definitely don't put down something like playing with friends' pets just to have something to put. Also Mizzou specifically asks you in your interview if you've gained further experience since submitting your application, so if you have the time in the next few months to get experience with those categories, it can only help you!

I'm just a fellow applicant, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I agree that I wouldn't stress over it. I bet only a small percentage of people applying have experience in EVERY category. Definitely don't put down something like playing with friends' pets just to have something to put. Also Mizzou specifically asks you in your interview if you've gained further experience since submitting your application, so if you have the time in the next few months to get experience with those categories, it can only help you!

Definitely, don't stress about having something in every category. You've got a solid basis in more than one category! Plus, if you find yourself over winter break spending some time with exotics, just write down the hours and shoot Kathy an email; she'll update your application. :)

So I am in the process of filling out the supplemental app and I am completely stuck on the last section - the essay on "Biomedical Experience, Public Health, Research Experience" (Include experience in biomedical or agricultural research, public health, or any other medical experience not directly related to veterinary medicine. Include training or experience in the allied health professions).

Is it TERRIBLE/not worth applying if I have literally 0% experience in lab/research settings? I have large animal, wildlife, small animal experience with & without vets but I am completely lacking in what this essay is asking for.

The most I've done is perform a semester-long behavior research project w/lab rats through an animal behavior class (the prompt specifies NOT to include any undergraduate class-related activities - womp). I also toured a stem cell lab that I was about to start working in then turned the position down to volunteer w/a tutoring program....(i regret this decision now)

any thoughts or suggestions? :/

So I am in the process of filling out the supplemental app and I am completely stuck on the last section - the essay on "Biomedical Experience, Public Health, Research Experience" (Include experience in biomedical or agricultural research, public health, or any other medical experience not directly related to veterinary medicine. Include training or experience in the allied health professions).

Is it TERRIBLE/not worth applying if I have literally 0% experience in lab/research settings? I have large animal, wildlife, small animal experience with & without vets but I am completely lacking in what this essay is asking for.

The most I've done is perform a semester-long behavior research project w/lab rats through an animal behavior class (the prompt specifies NOT to include any undergraduate class-related activities - womp). I also toured a stem cell lab that I was about to start working in then turned the position down to volunteer w/a tutoring program....(i regret this decision now)

any thoughts or suggestions? :/
I don't have anything to put in that section either, and I'm not worried about it. I think experiences in those categories are looked at favorably and can make you well-rounded, but veterinary experience is more important. As long as you're not looking to go into a public health/research field, it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for your advice everyone. I think I'm going to finally suck it up and hit the submit button!

Good luck to all!

hello everyone,
I have a quick question about the employment section of the supplemental application where is asks to list all employment paid and unpaid while attending college full time. I went ahead and entered jobs and internships that took a significant portion of my time but was unsure if it was beneficial to include volunteer positions that I spent not more than 3-6 hours weekly at or is that a stretch?

hello everyone,
I have a quick question about the employment section of the supplemental application where is asks to list all employment paid and unpaid while attending college full time. I went ahead and entered jobs and internships that took a significant portion of my time but was unsure if it was beneficial to include volunteer positions that I spent not more than 3-6 hours weekly at or is that a stretch?
I think I listed little things like that too. It's still a time commitment, even though it's small.

Update: I called Kathy because I just had to know RIGHT NOW. From what I understand, everything must be verified and completed by October 2nd, which is the case for the Sept 1st transcript deadline.

Another question:

When you submit the supplemental, you have to check a box that says all your transcripts were in by September 1st.

All of my transcripts were in by September 1st, however one transcript didn't have a summer class on it.

I sent in that updated transcript early this week (of course I get verified today saying that they need an updated transcript) that has the summer class listed on it.

Is it absolutely necessary to get all updated transcripts in to VMCAS by Sept 1st for Mizzou or else they don't look at your application? Or is that just them restating the guideline suggested by VMCAS?

Last edited:
Yes you can apply for residency after your first year of school. Our wildlife / zoo program is pretty limited. However we do have a partnership with the University of Tennessee and we alternate hosting an exotics symposium. This school year Is Mizzou's turn. Like stated above, we do have a pretty active raptor rehab club. Missouri is also a state with pretty lenient exotics laws/ regulations so there are a lot of local wildlife / exotic animal parks... I know our zoo club went to a park that had some tigers and other things. We also have a program set up that takes student to South Africa every summer to do some wildlife/ conservation work..

Vet school is what you make of it. And if your interested in exotics/ wildlife/ zoo med you can find opportunities to get experience in that field (and that is the case at any school, not just Mizzou).

There is a guy in my class who is wanting to go into zoo med. He has spent his summer in California at a zoo doing research on desert tortoises. And he's also going to the zoo med symposium this fall... So it's definitely possible to get experience in the field at Mizzou!!

This is comforting! I wasn't sure about applying to Mizzou but I did anyway. I really want to be a zoo vet as well and if I had the chance to specify I would love to do herpetology medicine! So thank you Kpowell14 for unknowingly making me feel better about applying there! haha
Does anyone happen to know is Mizzou does any sort of work with St.Louis Zoo? I know it's a couple of hours away from the college but it has literally been my favorite zoo since early childhood and I would love to do something there!

This is comforting! I wasn't sure about applying to Mizzou but I did anyway. I really want to be a zoo vet as well and if I had the chance to specify I would love to do herpetology medicine! So thank you Kpowell14 for unknowingly making me feel better about applying there! haha
Does anyone happen to know is Mizzou does any sort of work with St.Louis Zoo? I know it's a couple of hours away from the college but it has literally been my favorite zoo since early childhood and I would love to do something there!

Not formally but you could probably set up an externship there. Our zoo med elective is taught by Dr. Suedmeyer from the KC zoo. He is amazing, and does a yearly tour of their zoo facilities along with some case discussions.

Ah! I am officially officially applying to Mizzou. It is bittersweet for me. I grew up in MO but decided to go OOS for undergrad and now I feel like I am making a complete circle! :happy:

Reactions: 3 users
I just finished looking through last year's Mizzou c/o 2018 and it looks interview notifications start coming out around Nov. 5th. So, here we go! Hurry up to wait :)

I just finished looking through last year's Mizzou c/o 2018 and it looks interview notifications start coming out around Nov. 5th. So, here we go! Hurry up to wait :)
Us in-staters won't hear anything until February. :p

I just realized today was the VMCAS deadline. Good Luck you guys!! Its hard to believe its that time again!! Time really flies after you hit submit!!

Reactions: 1 users
I just realized today was the VMCAS deadline. Good Luck you guys!! Its hard to believe its that time again!! Time really flies after you hit submit!!

Thanks! I hope your second year is going well :)

Thanks! I hope your second year is going well :)

:thumbup::thumbup: it's going well!! We stay busy, but we are only 2 weeks away from a new set of classes, which is Awesome! - 1 of the perks of going to Mizzou- 8 week blocks of classes!!

:thumbup::thumbup: it's going well!! We stay busy, but we are only 2 weeks away from a new set of classes, which is Awesome! - 1 of the perks of going to Mizzou- 8 week blocks of classes!!
Fantastic! Yeah, the class structure was one of many reasons why I decided to apply there. Can I ask you when you hear about your interview? I'm writing on my calendar time frames when to expect an interview or rejection. If I write it down, it won't be swirling in my head everyday for months.

Fantastic! Yeah, the class structure was one of many reasons why I decided to apply there. Can I ask you when you hear about your interview? I'm writing on my calendar time frames when to expect an interview or rejection. If I write it down, it won't be swirling in my head everyday for months.
Are you instate or out-of-state?

If OOS, I believe last year interview invites were.. Nov 5th? They did send them out early last year... but if they follow the trend you should tentatively hear something the first week of November.

I got my interview invite on 11/19/12. Hard to believe it has almost been 2 years!

Feb? That's too long! Well have a good Fall semester! Stay distracted :) I'm watching endless Netflix
Yeah, it kinda sucks. I'm actually not in school right now (taking a gap year thanks to getting rejected everywhere I applied last year), so it's lots of Netflix for me too! Along with working. :)

Yeah, it kinda sucks. I'm actually not in school right now (taking a gap year thanks to getting rejected everywhere I applied last year), so it's lots of Netflix for me too! Along with working. :)

Me too my friend...Me too. I'm working full time and dreaming of my future! And Vampire Diaries...

Me too my friend...Me too. I'm working full time and dreaming of my future! And Vampire Diaries...

I'm with you both, suddenly graduating early wasn't so fun. All I have is work..and the new smash brothers game for the 3ds :p