Missouri

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurevet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody! I was just wondering if anyone interviewed at Missouri and loved it as much as I did?! I sort of applied there not knowing what to expect, ended up getting an interview, and accepted, and absolutely LOVED it there. I am still between on my home state school and Missouri, but I would really love to hear anyone's feedback about what they thought about the school. Either future vets like me, or even current students there. Is anyone definitely going to Missouri, and where are you going to live?? I'm obviously an OOSer! Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey futurevet,

I'm currently a OOS VM-2 at Missouri and I'd be happy to answer any questions you have (there are a few of us Missouri folk on here). Either PM me or feel free to just do it in this thread.

A while back I answered a bunch of questions for another applicant, so this might be helpful as well:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=603386

Congrats on your acceptances, and let me know if I can help!

Hey futurevet,

I'm currently a OOS VM-2 at Missouri and I'd be happy to answer any questions you have (there are a few of us Missouri folk on here). Either PM me or feel free to just do it in this thread.

A while back I answered a bunch of questions for another applicant, so this might be helpful as well:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=603386

Congrats on your acceptances, and let me know if I can help!

Hi, RazorDoc. What do you think is the best note-taking method for classes at Mizzou... good old pen and paper or sitting in classes with a laptop?

I never used a laptop in undergrad, but I read some good points on the forums here. For instance, some laptop (I don't know what a tablet is, maybe they said tablet) allows you to write on the PPs and circle things while in class so you don't have to print them. But the thing is that I usually study best when I can sit and read notes or hard copies of PPs rather than a computer screen. Plus I re-write notes and write extra notes in the margins of existing notes. I'm just not sold on the idea that you absolutely must have a laptop/tablet/whatever for studying. I have a fast computer at home so I'm not sure I would need any more than that.

What do you think?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, RazorDoc. What do you think is the best note-taking method for classes at Mizzou... good old pen and paper or sitting in classes with a laptop?

I never used a laptop in undergrad, but I read some good points on the forums here. For instance, some laptop (I don't know what a tablet is, maybe they said tablet) allows you to write on the PPs and circle things while in class so you don't have to print them. But the thing is that I usually study best when I can sit and read notes or hard copies of PPs rather than a computer screen. Plus I re-write notes and write extra notes in the margins of existing notes. I'm just not sold on the idea that you absolutely must have a laptop/tablet/whatever for studying. I have a fast computer at home so I'm not sure I would need any more than that.

What do you think?

Thanks so much!

Hello there,

First of all, the difference between a tablet and a laptop just FYI. A tablet actually has a screen that rotates 180 degrees and folds down so that you can write on it with this special pen like a notebook. A laptop is just any other smaller computer that does not have a rotatable screen and is not able to be written on. (if that's unclear, here's a regular laptop: http://blog.loaz.com/media/blogs/timwang/mini-Laptop-Sony-Vaio-Vgn.jpg and here is a tablet: http://www.small-laptops.com/images/l/lenovo-thinkpad-x61-tablet.jpg) For the purposes of vet school (and since you said you have a pretty good computer at home), I don't see any reason to buy a laptop. A tablet though comes in very handy.

Second, the best method of note-taking is whatever works best for you. So if it's a laptop/tablet or pen & paper, it doesn't really matter. No one says that tablets are the only way to go, so if you'd rather start out without one, it's not a big deal. Personally, I have found that my best technique is to take all my notes on my tablet, and then re-write my notes on a notepad later when I have time to really analyze what the heck some of it means. Here are some of the pros and cons:

Tablet - Pros:
-All my notes since vet school started in one location that does not take up my entire room
-You don't ever use up your print quota (if you print all the notes from school, you'll probably use it up within the first couple of weeks or so, and the remainder will be an extra cost to you)
-No lost notes! (a biggie for me, as I tend to lose paper versions of things)
-OneNote (see below) is a really easy way to organize your notes AND it's searchable. For instance, say a teacher brings up Tetralogy of Fallot and I am sitting there wondering what all the components of that were, I could just type that in and hit enter and it searches all my "notebooks" for those keywords and takes me right to the page.

Tablet - Cons:
-Not the easiest way to study, but that kind of depends on your style
-Most of use Microsoft OneNote to take our notes, so that is an additional expense
-The OneNote files are HUGE! I just used up most of my space, so I just had to buy 500Gb of extra storage for about $160ish

So, in conclusion, is a tablet an absolute must? NO (probably 50-75% don't use a laptop/tablet in my class)
Do I recommend one? Maybe, I've gotten a lot of use out of mine so it's been great for me

Let me know if I can be of any more help!

Last edited:
That is awesome information - very helpful. Thank you VERY MUCH!!! I am seriously going to consider buying a Tablet based on this.

Would you know of a good place to look for roommates from the vet school?

Thanks! I am trying to find a roomate that would be okay with the constraints of a bird roomie.

Hi everybody! I was just wondering if anyone interviewed at Missouri and loved it as much as I did?! I sort of applied there not knowing what to expect, ended up getting an interview, and accepted, and absolutely LOVED it there. I am still between on my home state school and Missouri, but I would really love to hear anyone's feedback about what they thought about the school. Either future vets like me, or even current students there. Is anyone definitely going to Missouri, and where are you going to live?? I'm obviously an OOSer! Thanks!!

Hey... I really enjoyed my interview and the tour as well. I was very impressed with the school. The professors and faculty was super nice and the students seem to all know eachother and about one another, like a big community. I am also waiting to hear from my IS school, but I got my acceptance letter from MIZZOU and I'm very excited. i think either choice is going to be great!

Hi,
I'm an undergrad looking into vet schools and I was wondering if any of you could rattle off a pro/con list about the school so I could get a better feel for it.

Specifically, how much hands on experience do you get in the first two years, and do you feel it's a good school for small animal medicine?
Thank you!

Hi,
I'm an undergrad looking into vet schools and I was wondering if any of you could rattle off a pro/con list about the school so I could get a better feel for it.
Thank you!
Welcome to SDN!

You might have better luck posting in the "Factors when picking a school" thread. This thread is 6 years old lol

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

Specifically, how much hands on experience do you get in the first two years, and do you feel it's a good school for small animal medicine?
Thank you!
There is an extensive pro/con list on the thread Gwen mentioned, though I am a third year at Mizzou, so feel free to PM me any questions you have about it!

We have a "clinical skills" course first year where you can get hands-on experience, though honestly I learned a whole lot more through clubs/wet-labs/other classes. Honestly, our big advantage is having an extra year of clinical rotations, which is where you get 99% of your hands-on experience anyways. Our school (just like every single other accredited school), is good for small animal medicine and will prepare you to be a competent vet when you graduate.