Missouri

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marshmallow12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I didn't see any posts about Missouri. Is anyone applying there? I am polishing my supplemental essays, and it has been grueling writing four essays on top of the VMCAS one.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh goodie! :) I know there are a few others applying that I've seen in the c/o 2016 thread.

I'm around to answer questions, and scb44f is usually, too. Sometimes there are 2014ers around.

Come to my school! It's great, and not just because I'm here!

Hey!

I've applied for an OOS spot. I think I've finally finished my essays (my one was over the 24 line limit) but just need to reread them again and then I believe I can submit.

Also, in case anyone is wondering, they'll look at all LOR submitted through VMCAS.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also applying for an OOS spot. Essays are still in processes mode lol.

Oh goodie! :) I know there are a few others applying that I've seen in the c/o 2016 thread.

I'm around to answer questions, and scb44f is usually, too. Sometimes there are 2014ers around.

Come to my school! It's great, and not just because I'm here!

Yep, feel free to ask! And good luck :luck:

i had planned on applying to missouri too for an OOS position, but seeing as i haven't even started the supp. essays yet nor have i started my tufts application yet, not sure if i'll be able to pull it off :( i have a physics exam, lab report, and orgo lab report due all next week too. life sucks :(

i had planned on applying to missouri too for an OOS position, but seeing as i haven't even started the supp. essays yet nor have i started my tufts application yet, not sure if i'll be able to pull it off :( i have a physics exam, lab report, and orgo lab report due all next week too. life sucks :(

did you already submit a VMCAS application to missouri?

good luck with everything!!!:thumbup:

I'm applying! putting off the essays though. Need to start them tonight. Why am I not taking them as seriously as the VMCAS one?? I know I need to be.... :mad:

I've applied through VMCAS, but have yet to submit the supplementals. :eek:

SCB44F AND I AREN'T FRIENDS WITH LOSERS WHO CAN'T HANDLE SOME WIMPY LITTLE ESSAYS. :smuggrin:

Just kidding. I submitted mine like the day before they were due. Keep on truckin', guys!

SCB44F AND I AREN'T FRIENDS WITH LOSERS WHO CAN'T HANDLE SOME WIMPY LITTLE ESSAYS. :smuggrin:

Just kidding. I submitted mine like the day before they were due. Keep on truckin', guys!

haha......the application process will NEVER end.....:smuggrin:

haha......the application process will NEVER end.....:smuggrin:

I promise that people aren't lying when they say you blink and wake up in physiology lecture one day thinking, "Hey... I'm in vet school... I'M IN VET SCHOOL! Crap, I'm in vet school... ugh."

It will all be over soon. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I promise that people aren't lying when they say you blink and wake up in physiology lecture one day thinking, "Hey... I'm in vet school... I'M IN VET SCHOOL! Crap, I'm in vet school... ugh."

It will all be over soon. :)

It will all be worth it!!! :) :) :) (Hopefully, as long as I get in SOMEWHERE) :D :D

Hahaha breenie is right you know ;)

I hate supplementals. Did anyone else remember what their ACT/SAT scores were, because I sure do not. I also only took the SAT. I guess I am going to have to do some digging to get those scores.

I hate supplementals. Did anyone else remember what their ACT/SAT scores were, because I sure do not. I also only took the SAT. I guess I am going to have to do some digging to get those scores.

I had to dig up my old score reports and report card for my class rank. I didn't appreciate the reminder of how poorly I did senior year of high school. Stupid physics and calculus.

I had to dig up my old score reports and report card for my class rank. I didn't appreciate the reminder of how poorly I did senior year of high school. Stupid physics and calculus.

Unfortunately, after I started college I figured that my grades/SAT scores/class rank from high school did not matter much so I threw out all of those report cards and score reports. I used to be able to see my SAT scores on my "unofficial transcript" from the university I attended, but I graduated there over a year ago and my user name and log in no longer works. I guess I will be contacting the high school tomorrow morning to see if I can't get that information from them. I had just kind of guessed my class rank because there were over 500 people in my class and I know I was somewhere around number 100...so I just picked a number.

Unfortunately, after I started college I figured that my grades/SAT scores/class rank from high school did not matter much so I threw out all of those report cards and score reports. I used to be able to see my SAT scores on my "unofficial transcript" from the university I attended, but I graduated there over a year ago and my user name and log in no longer works. I guess I will be contacting the high school tomorrow morning to see if I can't get that information from them. I had just kind of guessed my class rank because there were over 500 people in my class and I know I was somewhere around number 100...so I just picked a number.

Honestly, I thought we had thrown all that stuff out as well. Apparently my mom still has it all saved. I used to be able to see the scores through my school for undergrad as well, but I no longer have access to webadivsor, which is actually really annoying because it's the easiest way to request transcripts and see if they've been processed. Now we have to email someone and call to see if they ever were sent... At least they're nice enough to give us our email address for life.

Honestly, I thought we had thrown all that stuff out as well. Apparently my mom still has it all saved. I used to be able to see the scores through my school for undergrad as well, but I no longer have access to webadivsor, which is actually really annoying because it's the easiest way to request transcripts and see if they've been processed. Now we have to email someone and call to see if they ever were sent... At least they're nice enough to give us our email address for life.

That is how I used to order transcripts too. Luckily for me, my undergrad sends transcripts through this transcript ordering company. Since I was able to remember my student ID and I had my SS number and date of birth it was really simple to request them. Getting my transcripts from the communtiy college I went to was a PIA!! I used to have a log-in there but I could not remember it or they had deactivated it so I tried requesting a new password but since I haven't gone to the school in a while the on-line service would not let me do that. So I called the school and they would not let me do anything over the phone I would have to go in person...grrr. So, I cheated the system and acted like I had never set up an account, requested a new username....worked beautifully and my transcripts were $3/transcript cheaper than if I had gone in person. Beat that stupid CC!! :p

That is how I used to order transcripts too. Luckily for me, my undergrad sends transcripts through this transcript ordering company. Since I was able to remember my student ID and I had my SS number and date of birth it was really simple to request them. Getting my transcripts from the communtiy college I went to was a PIA!! I used to have a log-in there but I could not remember it or they had deactivated it so I tried requesting a new password but since I haven't gone to the school in a while the on-line service would not let me do that. So I called the school and they would not let me do anything over the phone I would have to go in person...grrr. So, I cheated the system and acted like I had never set up an account, requested a new username....worked beautifully and my transcripts were $3/transcript cheaper than if I had gone in person. Beat that stupid CC!! :p

What is it with community colleges and transcript requests? Its like the try to make it as difficult as possible to get the darn things. With all my CC's I have to sign and fax forms, where my university I just order them online. I don't understand why the CC's feel they need to have more checks and balances. :rolleyes:

For SAT scores, I just graduated college this May, so I probably took them more recently than you, but last time I tried, earlier this summer, my College Board log-in still worked. I had to try a few different user names to get my password resent, but might be worth trying if you haven't thought of that (and if you took it recently enough to register online). :/

For SAT scores, I just graduated college this May, so I probably took them more recently than you, but last time I tried, earlier this summer, my College Board log-in still worked. I had to try a few different user names to get my password resent, but might be worth trying if you haven't thought of that (and if you took it recently enough to register online). :/

Tried already. Never registered online. According to college board I have never taken the SAT, starting to feel old and I am only 23...:(

I had to call the high school I attended for my class rank and the like. I had an idea and was pretty close to the actual numbers, but I have to admit the details/exact numbers were a little fuzzy :p

Has the supplemental application made anyone else crazy? Those essays are really intense. Did you all get right up to the 1,920 character limit for all of them, or are some of yours under?

As someone who has had several jobs involving biomedical and research experience as well as several experiences with animals. . how are you filling out those areas of the Missouri supplemental?? There are several people I learned under/worked for and several different companies that I got the experience at and only 10 lines to fit it all!?

I will be so happy to press the submit button:)

As someone who has had several jobs involving biomedical and research experience as well as several experiences with animals. . how are you filling out those areas of the Missouri supplemental?? There are several people I learned under/worked for and several different companies that I got the experience at and only 10 lines to fit it all!?

I will be so happy to press the submit button:)

Do your best to give them the idea of what you were doing there. Their interviewers tend to cover a lot of your application, and mine specifically asked several questions about my research (which seems to be a common theme if you look at the interview feedback). It's likely they will ask you to fill in some details about it.

Also, when preparing for your interview, don't take for granted "little" things on your application. Several of mine, that I considered less important/impactful were asked about, one of them with followup questions (this includes that research for me... my stint as a research assistant was a short one, as I quickly found I was not interested in that type of research :laugh:).

Do your best to give them the idea of what you were doing there. Their interviewers tend to cover a lot of your application, and mine specifically asked several questions about my research (which seems to be a common theme if you look at the interview feedback). It's likely they will ask you to fill in some details about it.

Also, when preparing for your interview, don't take for granted "little" things on your application. Several of mine, that I considered less important/impactful were asked about, one of them with followup questions (this includes that research for me... my stint as a research assistant was a short one, as I quickly found I was not interested in that type of research :laugh:).

Yeah. I was asked about like... all of my extracurriculars.

"What's Slow Food?" (I explain, kind of club that is like a combo family dinner night/opposite of "fast food") "Oh. So it's not like a club for using slow cookers?" "No." "GOOD! I hate slow cookers."

Also what I specifically did at my research job, like scb44f said.

Is the deadline tonight at midnight or tomorrow? It says /nov 1st midnight which would be 6 hours from now but their counter for time remaining says 1day, 6hours...

I'm going with the timer - I had the same thought but figured the application would give me the accurate time. Hope I'm right :)

Gosh I hope it is what the timer says...

I am the biggest procratinator of all... I still have all 4 essays to write and all I want to do is....:sleep:.

I really hope it is by the timer on the application but I have to submit tonight because I will be at work all day tomorrow.

Just found this on the Mizzou website:

Supplementary Application Deadline*: November 1, 2011
This application must be submitted to the MU College of Veterinary Medicine by end of day November 1, 2011 and application fee recieved within a reasonable time thereafter. Failure to meet this deadline will result in disqualification.

So by the end of the day tomorrow, not tonight. Yay!!

I am the biggest procratinator of all... I still have all 4 essays to write and all I want to do is....:sleep:.

I really hope it is by the timer on the application but I have to submit tonight because I will be at work all day tomorrow.

Oh my DVM!! I am killing myself trying to shorten my stupid attribute essay. Seems all the room they are willing to give me is enough to say "I have positive attributes". *sigh*

Good luck on your essays.

Oh my DVM!! I am killing myself trying to shorten my stupid attribute essay. Seems all the room they are willing to give me is enough to say "I have positive attributes". *sigh*

Good luck on your essays.

Good Luck to you too! I am currently trying to figure out how to state my talents/traits that make me unique and add to the diversity of the college... :hungover:

I tend to have the opposite problem of needing to shorten things. I tend to start feeling conceited and big-headed if I talk too much about myself so I tend to keep the character limit low.

Good Luck to you too! I am currently trying to figure out how to state my talents/traits that make me unique and add to the diversity of the college... :hungover:

I tend to have the opposite problem of needing to shorten things. I tend to start feeling conceited and big-headed if I talk too much about myself so I tend to keep the character limit low.

I know what you mean. My other essays I had no problem with. I think my problem with this one is I was trying to use examples for each of my "attributes" which contributed to the unacceptable character limit, shame on me.

All I have left now is the uniqueness essay... ewww. Worst for last as I always say :laugh: This is when I wish I had six toes so I can spend 24 lines talking about it. Guess I am going to have to think something else up.

I know what you mean. My other essays I had no problem with. I think my problem with this one is I was trying to use examples for each of my "attributes" which contributed to the unacceptable character limit, shame on me.

All I have left now is the uniqueness essay... ewww. Worst for last as I always say :laugh: This is when I wish I had six toes so I can spend 24 lines talking about it. Guess I am going to have to think something else up.

I was thinking of mentioning how I can touch my tongue to my nose.... somehow that has to add diversity to the school. :p

I was thinking I would talk about how I am fluent in American Sign Language as a unique quality. Do you guys think this is "unique enough"? lol. Unique is actually a very vague term!!!

I was thinking I would talk about how I am fluent in American Sign Language as a unique quality. Do you guys think this is "unique enough"? lol. Unique is actually a very vague term!!!

Absolutely!

This essay is hard because I feel like I talked a lot about this stuff in my VMCAS PS and I don't want to sound redundant... anyone else having issues with this?

This essay is hard because I feel like I talked a lot about this stuff in my VMCAS PS and I don't want to sound redundant... anyone else having issues with this?

Yep. I think the sign language thing is a great unique thing!

I'm looking at it as an opportunity to talk about things I didn't have room for in my PS - also - its way more general so its more - i'm awesome because of this and this and this :)

YES! :( It was really hard, especially the why you chose the veterinary profession one, that one was definitely covered in VMCAS.

I'm looking at it as an opportunity to talk about things I didn't have room for in my PS - also - its way more general so its more - i'm awesome because of this and this and this :)

Oh, I totally agree! But it's also one of those "There are so many awesome things about myself, how can I possibly state them all in 24 lines" feelings going on lol :confused:

Hey guys,

I just went to submit my application but when I previewed it, my animal and work experiences sections looked all jumbled - meaning that instead of the bulleted points being on separate lines, it looked like this:

- My brain is very tired. - I can't wait to hit the submit button. - Let me in so I don't have to do this again next year. :p

I don't recall seeing anywhere if they wanted the descriptions in paragraph form instead of bullets. Does anyone know the answer? :confused:

Hey guys,

I just went to submit my application but when I previewed it, my animal and work experiences sections looked all jumbled - meaning that instead of the bulleted points being on separate lines, it looked like this:

- My brain is very tired. - I can't wait to hit the submit button. - Let me in so I don't have to do this again next year. :p

I don't recall seeing anywhere if they wanted the descriptions in paragraph form instead of bullets. Does anyone know the answer? :confused:

No idea. I generally won't do bullets unless specifically told it's acceptable. I learned that the hard way in college on a few tests. Several of my professors docked serious points for bullets, which I thought was amusing since they were my bio/chem classes where I was always told to avoid "flowery" language and get to the point. I think the only school I used bullets/fragments for was Illinois because that's what they used in their example. I honestly have no idea if it makes a difference or not.

No idea. I generally won't do bullets unless specifically told it's acceptable. I learned that the hard way in college on a few tests. Several of my professors docked serious points for bullets, which I thought was amusing since they were my bio/chem classes where I was always told to avoid "flowery" language and get to the point. I think the only school I used bullets/fragments for was Illinois because that's what they used in their example. I honestly have no idea if it makes a difference or not.

Ugh. haha. Thanks for your response, though! Like many others, I used bullets instead of paragraph form in my VMCAS to conserve characters, so I figured it was also appropriate for supplementals. Maybe I'm wrong!

Other input is appreciated :) I'll post an answer here if I can reach Kathy Seay.

Ugh. haha. Thanks for your response, though! Like many others, I used bullets instead of paragraph form in my VMCAS to conserve characters, so I figured it was also appropriate for supplementals. Maybe I'm wrong!

Other input is appreciated :) I'll post an answer here if I can reach Kathy Seay.

I just reached her on the phone. DO NOT use bullets. Use sentences only.

That would have been nice to know/have written on the instructions! Oye...

I just reached her on the phone. DO NOT use bullets. Use sentences only.

That would have been nice to know/have written on the instructions! Oye...

lol I used bullets... They must not have cared too much!

I feel like I did too?

I'm guessing the formatting goes out the window when you submit, so paragraphs are easier for them to read than bullets. It still sucks though, because that's even less space to write the important details.