Mistake? M.S. in General Psych with no immediate plans of PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koharu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started a M.S. in General Psych program and I'm worried that I made a mistake.

The main reason I decided to go back to school was because I was having difficulty finding a job with just a B.A. Psychology. Now, I'm worried that this was a faulty logic ( assuming a higher degree = higher chance of getting employed). I thought about getting a PhD in Psychology in the future, but it is not an immediate goal and it's something that may change in the future.

Being in the program, I'm realizing that the program is really aimed for students trying to build their applications to apply to a PhD program. Most, if not all, of the students in the program are planning to continue to a PhD program.

Anytime I mention that I don't want to go into a PhD program afterwards and that I plan to work after getting my Master's, I'm told that this isn't a good idea because there will not be many job options for me with just a Master's. Some have actually told me that it'll be worse that I have a Master's (because I'm narrowing my options). I'm considering stopping after this semester because I don't feel like I'm invested in the program. I want to finish this program as fast as possible so I can start working, but I'm realizing this is the wrong mentality to have.

Is it a bad idea for me to continue this program, even though I don't plan to get a PhD.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That is how I usually hear general psych programs being used (stepping stone to PhD), but I'm not entirely sure. I was just curious what it was you were hoping to do professionally and why you chose a BS, and now an MS, in psych to get there?

Koharu,

It might well be. A MA in psych does not help your employment outside of jobs that have a general requirement of an MA. A general psych masters will not get you a job as a therapist or counselor. You could easily get a job as a case manager, but this is something you could get with a BA.

I would STRONGLY encourage you to stop if you are paying tuition or taking out loans and /or studying full time. You may feel like you've already invested some money, but it will only get worse with time, and you'll be losing earning potential and years of your life to boot!

Source: A PhD student in psychology.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is how I usually hear general psych programs being used (stepping stone to PhD), but I'm not entirely sure. I was just curious what it was you were hoping to do professionally and why you chose a BS, and now an MS, in psych to get there?

Honestly, I'm still trying to figure the career part out. I chose the M.S. with not much thought on what it will allow me to do long-term professionally/career wise (I vaguely knew that some places hired research assistants with a MS Psych and I thought about doing that). *I have a BA in Psych and if I have the opportunity in the future, I would like to go back to get my PhD (clinical or counseling) one day, but that's not an immediate goal. I don't have to time nor interest of committing myself to a PhD program now*

I've worked with at-risk youth and in suicide prevention and I'm really passionate about/interested in psychology, social services and mental health (especially the areas of domestic violence, sexual abuse, children exposed to trauma, and homelessness), non profits, policy making, community outreach, and entrepreneurship. I did considered becoming a Social Worker (was even accepted in a MSSW program, but turned in down for the MS Gen Psych, which may have been a mistake).

But I've avoided pursuing a profession in social work because I was/am extremely hesitant of working a low salary job, if I'm being honest. I love mental health and social services, but I need a job that'll allow me to provide for myself too. I'm worried that if I pursued a career in SW, I'd be struggling financially the rest of my life. Everyone I know in social work complains about heavy workload + high stress + low salary.

I know I'm giving you more information than you asked. Just trying to gather my thoughts and the more I think about it, the more I realize my interests align with the social work field. I'm still unsure though and I obviously have to do some more research into the field.

I appreciate your reply.

Last edited:
Koharu,

It might well be. A MA in psych does not help your employment outside of jobs that have a general requirement of an MA. A general psych masters will not get you a job as a therapist or counselor. You could easily get a job as a case manager, but this is something you could get with a BA.

I would STRONGLY encourage you to stop if you are paying tuition or taking out loans and /or studying full time. You may feel like you've already invested some money, but it will only get worse with time, and you'll be losing earning potential and years of your life to boot!

Source: A PhD student in psychology.

Your advice is well taken and it confirmed my concerns. After giving it much thought, I decided that once I finish my classes this semester, I will leave the MS Gen Psych program. I was hesitant to do so because I already invested time and money (had a small scholarship, and no loans, but paid some money out of pocket) into this semester, but like you said, the longer I stay it, the worse it'll be become.

Thanks for the advice.

recently i often log on the bureau of labor force and read and investigate about related occupations and payment.And notice that jobs in General Psych will not grow in a sounding speed nor will it require a decent number of new jobs.Besides,jobs in General Psych may require Doc's degree,master's therefore seems uncompetitive.Maybe turn around and try to search in your school gradu programmes whether there be a chance for you to transfer.
good luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Your advice is well taken and it confirmed my concerns. After giving it much thought, I decided that once I finish my classes this semester, I will leave the MS Gen Psych program. I was hesitant to do so because I already invested time and money (had a small scholarship, and no loans, but paid some money out of pocket) into this semester, but like you said, the longer I stay it, the worse it'll be become.

Thanks for the advice.
Koharu,

Brava! I think it is a wise decision.

You say your interests align most closely with social work, but that you are afraid of the options that lie ahead of you in that career path. I think you should investigate different social work careers for LMSWs and LCSWs. Case management positions do suck, and are terribly underpaid, but there is a huge amount of variability in the positions Master Social Workers can hold. LCSWs can even open up profitable private practices with enough business savvy.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, I'm still trying to figure the career part out. I chose the M.S. with not much thought on what it will allow me to do long-term professionally/career wise (I vaguely knew that some places hired research assistants with a MS Psych and I thought about doing that). *I have a BA in Psych and if I have the opportunity in the future, I would like to go back to get my PhD (clinical or counseling) one day, but that's not an immediate goal. I don't have to time nor interest of committing myself to a PhD program now*

I've worked with at-risk youth and in suicide prevention and I'm really passionate about/interested in psychology, social services and mental health (especially the areas of domestic violence, sexual abuse, children exposed to trauma, and homelessness), non profits, policy making, community outreach, and entrepreneurship. I did considered becoming a Social Worker (was even accepted in a MSSW program, but turned in down for the MS Gen Psych, which may have been a mistake).

But I've avoided pursuing a profession in social work because I was/am extremely hesitant of working a low salary job, if I'm being honest. I love mental health and social services, but I need a job that'll allow me to provide for myself too. I'm worried that if I pursued a career in SW, I'd be struggling financially the rest of my life. Everyone I know in social work complains about heavy workload + high stress + low salary.

I know I'm giving you more information than you asked. Just trying to gather my thoughts and the more I think about it, the more I realize my interests align with the social work field. I'm still unsure though and I obviously have to do some more research into the field.

I appreciate your reply.
I would say that the Clinical Social Work (MSW) is your best route because it compliments your interests stated above. A Masters in Pyschology does open doors for your when pursuing a doctorate level degree or if you are interested in being an adjunct or things outside of direct practice....your B.A. could be used as such too.

Well this may seem farfetched, but if your looking to make money while thinking of whatcha wanna do then i say try to get a job in human resources. A psych degree is a great job opener for HR

I realize that this is an old thread, but let me just echo that there *is not* much you can do with a general psychology degree. Mine is a non-licensable clinical psychology MA, and in the past 2 years all my positions have required a BA only.

I got amazing internship and research experience, took courses with great faculty but the end is result is the same: not ahead in the job market.

My original plan was to go on to the PhD right after the program, but there were some unexpected obstacles along the way. Still considering going back because as it stands, I feel there is not enough I can do with a psych MA.