Mixed Race-Should I attended URM second-look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atmosphere123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have 2 acceptances and no clear choice about where to attend. To help me make a decision, I would like to attend both second look days. I have been invited to attend a comprehensive second look for URM students at one the schools. This a multi-day event with individual meetings and mock classes to really help you get a feel for the school. This is compared to an evening reception and Q&A for non-URM accepted applicants.

The reason this is a dilemma is that I am mixed race. My father is white but my mother is a first-generation immigrant from a latin american country. She came here when she was young and grew up a household that was ashamed of their heritage and made every effort to assimilate into mainstream white culture. Thus, I grew up in a mostly culturally white household and I look white. I am sensitive about attending a second look intended for URM when I don't speak or look like I would be expected to. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you identify as a URM go. Otherwise, don't.

Reactions: 5 users
How should URMs speak? You mean unable to properly form sentences in English like "white people"? Or with accents? Wait a minute, don't Americans have regional accents too? Now you're' in quite a quandry. I think your generalization is evidence enough that you should probably not attend.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you identify as URM, go.
Otherwise, why would you attend?

I'm a URM, and I wouldn't attend an event held specifically for, say, Asian applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
How should URMs speak? You mean unable to properly form sentences in English like "white people"? Or with accents? Wait a minute, don't Americans have regional accents too? Now you're' in quite a quandry. I think your generalization is evidence enough that you should probably not attend.

My statement was intended to mock the idea that there is stereotypical presentation of a URM that I might not conform to. Sorry if that did not come across, I realize that the diversity of people that fit under that category is enormous and it includes native and non-native speakers all of which may or may not have accents.

I hope you feel accomplished in calling out the ignorance of a racist, all from behind the keys of your computer. (You probably won't get that either)

If you identify as URM, go.
Otherwise, why would you attend?

I'm a URM, and I wouldn't attend an event held specifically for, say, Asian applicants.

If you identify as a URM go. Otherwise, don't.

Thanks for simplifying that decision.

My statement was intended to mock the idea that there is stereotypical presentation of a URM that I might not conform to. Sorry if that did not come across, I realize that the diversity of people that fit under that category is enormous and it includes native and non-native speakers all of which may or may not have accents.

I hope you feel accomplished in calling out the ignorance of a racist, all from behind the keys of your computer. (You probably won't get that either)

Thanks for simplifying that decision.

I hope you feel accomplished backtracking your racism with supposed sarcasm from behind the keys of your computer. I bet you don't get too many opportunities to do that in real life.

Reactions: 2 users
I find all this kind of odd. If you were included/invited to this event, you probably marked that you identify as a URM group? So this should be a no brainer.....

Reactions: 5 users
You are a white Hispanic person. This does not mean you are not URM. There are lots of Hispanic people with white racial features. "Hispanic" is also not really thought of as a racial term, but more of an ethnolinguistic descriptor that describes people from countries where Spanish is the primary language spoken.

Reactions: 1 users
I went to the 'minority preview' for my undergrad. I am white.
Turns out, my school invited all of the poor kids to it, because we were also very much minorities at that institution. So the other few white kids and I wandered around puzzled for a bit (we didn't realize it was the minority preview we had been invited to until we got there) until we started talking and realized that we were all super poor. Then the rest of the weekend it was just "oh hey, you're white, you must be a poor kid" which was kind of hilariously awkward.

Reactions: 8 users
You are a white Hispanic person. This does not mean you are not URM. There are lots of Hispanic people with white racial features. "Hispanic" is also not really thought of as a racial term, but more of an ethnolinguistic descriptor that describes people from countries where Spanish is the primary language spoken.

White Hispanic person. That makes sense to me. How would you distinguish that from URM?

Jesus, the new dermviser, I swear some of you "residents" act like you're a teenager who got their panties in a wad. Trying to decipher what a 'quandry' is has left me in quite the quandary. Give the guy a break, you think he was trying to be racist?

Reactions: 3 users
I find all this kind of odd. If you were included/invited to this event, you probably marked that you identify as a URM group? So this should be a no brainer.....

I marked White and Hispanic (The specific country actually). I didn't mark disadvantaged status on my primary or secondary.

I marked White and Hispanic (The specific country actually). I didn't mark disadvantaged status on my primary or secondary.
Well, you marked it ... do you consider yourself Hispanic? You said you are apprehensive about going because you feel you are not really culturally URM.
In any case, if you're legitimately interested in getting to know the URM population of the medical school, I'd go for it.

I went to a mixer for URM med students and residents at one of the medical schools I interviewed at, and I really liked it as I got to meet other Spanish-speakers (and even some from my own native country!). I imagine if you're not interested in an opportunity to get to exclusively meet other URM students, no point in going. As @Doug Underhill wrote, Hispanics can be white, brown, asian-looking, blue-eyed, blond-haired, etc. It's more of a similar cultural heritage.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope you feel accomplished backtracking your racism with supposed sarcasm from behind the keys of your computer. I bet you don't get too many opportunities to do that in real life.

Thank you for helping me re-think the use of sarcasm in making points about race.
I know what I intended to say. I edited my original post to reflect this.

So if I'm understanding your post correctly, the URM event will give you a more comprehensive look. And if that's the case, then you should definitely go.

If you identify as URM or want to be part of the community (or even feel it out) then go, otherwise don't!

White+power+i+mean+_519b598de0c17c68cfa8c377b8e59ace.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
White Hispanic person. That makes sense to me. How would you distinguish that from URM?

Generally, for the purpose of med school admissions, Mexicans and Puerto Ricans are considered URM, while some other Hispanic communities, like Argentinians, are not. This is because the number of Argentinian-American physicians is proportional to the total number of Argentinian-Americans. Even if your group is not considered URM, being fluent in Spanish is often a significant advantage in med school admissions (and in the actual practice of medicine).

If you have white racial features and are of Mexican descent, you are URM. The whiteness does not "override" the URM status of Mexican-Americans, and there are lots of white people in Mexico.

Reactions: 8 users
You're an idiot.

Well, I take that back. That was maybe a little crass. But I think your logic is bit superficial here.

You are in. Go to the second look. ONly you can decide what you need to decide between these two schools.

To be honest, my suggestion is that you go to the "normal" second look event regardless of whether you choose to go to the minority one. While it's great to go to the minority second look and connect with other students in your situation, those are not all of the students you'll be working with, and meeting a greater number of people who may be your future classmates may give you some more insight into which school is better for you.

Yowza... this thread. Some of you are going to be doctors, helping URM's in the community? Jeez. I weep at the thought.

It's funny because, given some of the reactions, it's not surprising the OP has these kinds of questions. There's really nothing to get bent out of shape about here.

Generally, for the purpose of med school admissions, Mexicans and Puerto Ricans are considered URM, while some other Hispanic communities, like Argentinians, are not. This is because the number of Argentinian-American physicians is proportional to the total number of Argentinian-Americans. Even if your group is not considered URM, being fluent in Spanish is often a significant advantage in med school admissions (and in the actual practice of medicine).

If you have white racial features and are of Mexican descent, you are URM. The whiteness does not "override" the URM status of Mexican-Americans, and there are lots of white people in Mexico.

I want to say 'No Doug, no!', but I'll let it slide because this was a good post.

This is not me getting bent out of shape. This is just me, confused really. This and the other thread on this betrays some, er, interesting biases. The above comment was really a reaction to both threads not just this one.

Guess I should have been more concise and less incredulous.