Mixed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aaj117

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just making a thread for all those who are MIXED and in medicine. I am half black and half white (real father is black, mother and step-father are white) and it has always been kind of strange for me trying to "fit in" to a group. At my undergrad, the black student union was a strange environment and i honestly felt uncomfortable there. It was wierd though because socially BSU members pretty much always hung out with other BSUers, and the latino groups did the same, often speaking spanish at their meetings and excluding a lot of people; each asian group did the same thing. I always thought it was really strange, especially coming from a town that was almost an exact even mix black/white/hispanic to an environment that boasts 18% minorities (and i think that included asians...). As someone who is mixed i guess i just never felt comfortable in any of those groups because of the way people reacted to me, and just avoided them all together even though i really didn't want to. For medical school i am applying to a zillion places of course, but i included some HBCUs (morehouse and howard) and have interviews at both. My Howard interview was amazing, I loved the environment, I loved how everyone just seemed to intertwine and really be a family, and I can't wait for Morehouse (i fly in tonight). I was wondering if past expereinces like this helped any other mixed students choose their medical school?

So anyway, I am half black and half white like i said. I look latina i guess, everyone always assumes that I am, although I also often get mistaken for native american, arabic/middle eastern, indian, jewish, italian, just white, or just black/light skinned. Any more interesting mixes out there? I always think black/asians end up GORGEOUS.

Members don't see this ad.

So anyway, I am half black and half white like i said. I look latina i guess, everyone always assumes that I am, although I also often get mistaken for native american, arabic/middle eastern, indian, jewish, italian, just white, or just black/light skinned. Any more interesting mixes out there? I always think black/asians end up GORGEOUS.

Yeah, I hear they're HOT! ...I mean... not that I'm biased or anything :p
I do have to admit that I thought you might've been latina before I knew who you were.

Just making a thread for all those who are MIXED and in medicine. I am half black and half white (real father is black, mother and step-father are white) and it has always been kind of strange for me trying to "fit in" to a group. At my undergrad, the black student union was a strange environment and i honestly felt uncomfortable there. It was wierd though because socially BSU members pretty much always hung out with other BSUers, and the latino groups did the same, often speaking spanish at their meetings and excluding a lot of people; each asian group did the same thing. I always thought it was really strange, especially coming from a town that was almost an exact even mix black/white/hispanic to an environment that boasts 18% minorities (and i think that included asians...). As someone who is mixed i guess i just never felt comfortable in any of those groups because of the way people reacted to me, and just avoided them all together even though i really didn't want to. For medical school i am applying to a zillion places of course, but i included some HBCUs (morehouse and howard) and have interviews at both. My Howard interview was amazing, I loved the environment, I loved how everyone just seemed to intertwine and really be a family, and I can't wait for Morehouse (i fly in tonight). I was wondering if past expereinces like this helped any other mixed students choose their medical school?

My experience was the exact opposite of yours - my high school, though "diverse," was segregated by year and race. For example, I can tell you exactly where the black and latino students hung out, where the chinese juniors hung out, where the korean seniors hung out, where the Indian students hung out, etc.. I went back to my high school last summer after being out for 5 years and the hangout spots are STILL the same! My college experience seemed A LOT more integrated after coming from that.

As far as cultural groups are concerned, I was active in both black and asian cultural groups in college, and though I think some were caught off guard by me being in asian cultural groups at first, I pretty much became a fixture in all of them. haha.

In terms of med schools, I'm not looking for a particular racial breakdown per se, but strong representation from different minority groups is a plus for me (this includes asians). But more than anything else, I just want to see that overall the students are supportive of each other and that there is a strong sense of community. It's hard to get a sense of this in such a short period on interview day, but I'll be sure to attend revisit weekends at whatever schools accept me.
I have a few friends at Howard's med school and I've definitely been told that it's like a family.

I'm mixed, too! my father is Nigerian, and my mother is white. i can definitely relate to your experiences with the cultural groups. i went to an all white high school. in undergrad, i had to put effort into being comfortable in situations where all the black students hung out together. i tried, but i was pretty much on the outskirts of the black community. i did make a few really good friends, but i never became active in our school's black student group.

as for med school choices, i specifically didn't apply to schools that lacked diversity. i think it says a lot about a school that makes efforts to diversify their classes, and eventually increase the number of minority physicians. i researched the HBCU's and found that they didn't fit with what i was looking for in a med school.

i actually co-founded a group for mixed race students at my undergrad. i had no idea there were so many of us out there! it started out small, but after a few years we were definitely at the same level as other cultural groups that had been on campus for a long time. we had some really excellent discussions during our meetings. even though we were all different mixes, there were so many common experiences!

Members don't see this ad :)
My pop was Jamaican (black) and my mum is English (white). I was born here in the United States. Since I never attended public school and never owned a telly until far past university, I never felt the need to "fit" anywhere other than where I was. I credit my parents with raising me and my siblings with a very strong sense of personal identity and as "citizens of the world". They were very progressive when it came to educational and parenting matters.

At university, I did find that many folks segregated themselves socially along racial lines but I actually socialized with everyone (was too much of a nerd to do loads of social activities anyway). During medical school, I did the same and loved the diversity of medical school. My very best mate from medical school has the same ethnic background as myself and I keep in touch from time to time with many of my classmates from diverse backgrounds.

I am finding that today there are more people readily admitting that they are of mixed heritage and ethnicity. The world is just smaller these days. I find it great the folks can accept people as they are. I have never met a person that wasn't my brother/sister anyway. Again, my parents were pretty emphatic about this point.

Now I kind of know what to look for if I ever see any of you on the interview trail haha. As for me, I am plain ol black . Wish I could contribute :).

Now I kind of know what to look for if I ever see any of you on the interview trail haha. As for me, I am plain ol black . Wish I could contribute .
Haha me too man.
Now I kind of know what to look for if I ever see any of you on the interview trail haha. As for me, I am plain ol black . Wish I could contribute .
haha gottem

Now I kind of know what to look for if I ever see any of you on the interview trail haha. As for me, I am plain ol black . Wish I could contribute :).

Well if you recognize us on the interview trail, don't be a stalker - um, I mean stranger :p :laugh:

Looks like I'm outnumbered 3-1, black/white - black/other. I'm Black and Filipino, though sadly I do not speak Tagalog.

Yay i'm so glad this got so many responses while i was away at morehouse!! hehe it's good to hear that there are so many different experiences with this. I really enjoyed Morehouse, and i can't wait for Brown, because it definitely seems to be both the most diverse and the most familial of the top schools. Any schools that you guys have particularly enjoyed the environments of yet?

Yay i'm so glad this got so many responses while i was away at morehouse!! hehe it's good to hear that there are so many different experiences with this. I really enjoyed Morehouse, and i can't wait for Brown, because it definitely seems to be both the most diverse and the most familial of the top schools. Any schools that you guys have particularly enjoyed the environments of yet?
Vanderbilt and Tulane are my top choices right now. The student bodies are real cool and laid back. Type of environment I can see myself in.

I am also mixed male, Dad is White and Indian and mom is black and Chinese. I have a question for WutWinb, How was your interview at Case? On your MDapp file it shows you interviewed there and I have an Interview in November and would like a minority perspective on the school. Did you stay with a student host?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to all those applying this cycle!

I'm half Malaysian-Chinese and half Black. :)

I am also mixed male, Dad is White and Indian and mom is black and Chinese. I have a question for WutWinb, How was your interview at Case? On your MDapp file it shows you interviewed there and I have an Interview in November and would like a minority perspective on the school. Did you stay with a student host?

the interview at Case was pretty normal. i had a faculty and a student interviewer, both were about 40 minutes. the faculty interview is open file, and the student interview is closed file.

Also, (they don't tell you this beforehand), you will be taken to an informal discussion with Case minority students at some point throughout the day. I thought that meeting was pretty helpful to get more logistical information (living in Cleveland, typical class day, does the class hang out together, etc). The SNMA chapter seems to be pretty active at Case. I can't remember the actual demographics of the class, but I think it's comparable to others (15-20% minority?).

Also, Dr. Joseph Williams is the Dean of Minority Affairs. A few of us interviewing had been in contact with him via e-mail, so we stopped by to say Hi during the day so that he could put a face with a name. If you have been e-mailing him (or want to), it would definitely be advantageous to stop by his office when you interview.

I did stay with a student host. I would definitely recommend doing this , especially if you want to save hotel money. My host lived about 10 minutes from the admissions office, and she was nice enough to walk me in the morning ( her class started the same time the interview day started)

Finally, Case is becoming really big on research. They have a 4 month block dedicated to it during the curriculum. If you have done research, your interviewers will definitely ask about it. They will also ask if you plan to continue doing research in medical school and why.

Good luck!!

Thanks WutWinb, I really appreciate it. your information has better prepared me for my interview. Good luck on your future interviews as well.

Mixed as well...My dad Haitian and Cuban...My mom Haitian and French. I am light skinned, but usually just say that I am black.

I grew up in an almost all white school for 16 years. It was really preppy and had a big influence on how I acted. Then my mom rejoined the military and I moved to an almost all black school. Talk about culture shock. I liked the difference though. It allowed me to see two sides of life and changed the way I view things a little bit. Let me tell you though walking into a cafeteria at unit lunch on the first day of a new high school is scary. I almost skipped lunch that day.

my mom is black (& I love it :) lol cuz Black mommas are tough) & my daddy is white!!! but a black momma's gonna raise her children black, so that's all I proudly claim. technically, though, I've got african, british, jamaican, scottish, native american & french blood running through my veins...so I guess that's kinda cool.

my mom is black (& I love it :) lol cuz Black mommas are tough) & my daddy is white!!! but a black momma's gonna raise her children black, so that's all I proudly claim. technically, though, I've got african, british, jamaican, scottish, native american & french blood running through my veins...so I guess that's kinda cool.
Is that you in your avatar? I want to get twists in my hair so bad. Because my mom was white and knew nothing about how to deal with my hair, growing up she would always get my hair straightened and just try to deal with the frizz that resulted. (I got the worst possible combinations of hair). I think in like the end of february, after interviews are all over in case it doesn't look professional on me, i'm gonna cut off a few inches and go for it.

Is that you in your avatar? I want to get twists in my hair so bad. Because my mom was white and knew nothing about how to deal with my hair, growing up she would always get my hair straightened and just try to deal with the frizz that resulted. (I got the worst possible combinations of hair). I think in like the end of february, after interviews are all over in case it doesn't look professional on me, i'm gonna cut off a few inches and go for it.

twists are easy, just do them with a water based gel. You could also do them without a gel. I have locks in my hair now, but before I did, I use to twist my hair by myself all the time with two-strand twists. I sometimes skipped on the gel, making sure it was just wet. But now with locks, I have to gel them heavy strands in place...lol.

Go on this site, you would find plenty of useful info.

http://www.nappturality.com/

twists are easy, just do them with a water based gel. You could also do them without a gel. I have locks in my hair now, but before I did, I use to twist my hair by myself all the time with two-strand twists. I sometimes skipped on the gel, making sure it was just wet. But now with locks, I have to gel them heavy strands in place...lol.

Go on this site, you would find plenty of useful info.

http://www.nappturality.com/

When i do it myself it only stays for like two days, and takes so many hours it's jsut not worth it. I have an unfortunate mix of hair, and i just have a few too many straight (white-side) hairs to be able to do it myself well. When i was in atlanta all the girls told me that they could easily do my hair, but i just didn't have time. I definitely need someone more experienced than myself. Thanks for that website though, it definitely does give me some good ideas and things to try!

When i do it myself it only stays for like two days, and takes so many hours it's jsut not worth it. I have an unfortunate mix of hair, and i just have a few too many straight (white-side) hairs to be able to do it myself well. When i was in atlanta all the girls told me that they could easily do my hair, but i just didn't have time. I definitely need someone more experienced than myself. Thanks for that website though, it definitely does give me some good ideas and things to try!

yep, that's me! I've been twisting my hair for about 6 years now...sometimes I like to blow it out & wear it big too which is why I prefer not to lock it, but locks are beautiful too. you can also check out missjessies.com. it has some products and explanations to "help" women of color with their different types of hair textures. check it out! it may be helpful :)

yep, that's me! I've been twisting my hair for about 6 years now...sometimes I like to blow it out & wear it big too which is why I prefer not to lock it, but locks are beautiful too. you can also check out missjessies.com. it has some products and explanations to "help" women of color with their different types of hair textures. check it out! it may be helpful :)

Hey, thanks for the link- that was helpful! I have very long, very thick hair, with a very confusing texture, and I never know what to do with it (and I'm lazy). As a result, I end up at the salon a lot, but I know I can't keep up that habit in med school. haha

Mixed as well...My dad Haitian and Cuban...My mom Haitian and French. I am light skinned, but usually just say that I am black.

Cool. Another ayisyen. My dad is Haitian and French. My mother is just Haitian. I'm also Jewish but that's a religion. :laugh: Basically, I'm a Black Haitian Jew. :cool:

I had my DNA analysis done at The Root because I wanted to know the ancestry of my father's family. We suspected that they were probably of West African descent (finally settled in Jamaica but came over from Martinique) but I wasn't expecting to find that I am 79% European ancestry (Celtic/Danish/Gallic) and 21% West African (Senegalese/Ivory Coast). It's a pretty interesting analysis and worth the cost. I guess my ancestors just got around the globe; spreading their DNA along the path.

I had my DNA analysis done at The Root because I wanted to know the ancestry of my father's family. We suspected that they were probably of West African descent (finally settled in Jamaica but came over from Martinique) but I wasn't expecting to find that I am 79% European ancestry (Celtic/Danish/Gallic) and 21% West African (Senegalese/Ivory Coast). It's a pretty interesting analysis and worth the cost. I guess my ancestors just got around the globe; spreading their DNA along the path.
that sounds really cool. how expensive was it? I was thinking about doing something like that since i don't know my real dad, and he was "adopted" so he didn't know much of his background either.

That would definitely be interesting since my father is African American of unknown ancestry, and Filipinos are made up of a whole lot of things.

that sounds really cool. how expensive was it? I was thinking about doing something like that since i don't know my real dad, and he was "adopted" so he didn't know much of his background either.

That would definitely be interesting since my father is African American of unknown ancestry, and Filipinos are made up of a whole lot of things.

Not to push any websites but click on DNA Test from the link in my previous post. That takes you to a couple of DNA analysis sites. I used African Ancestry site and had my paternal DNA analyzed but then went back and check out my maternal DNA. Total cost was about $700 but my sister and I split the costs.

It took about 3 months to get everything back but the results were pretty interesting for us since we didn't know that we actually had a majority of DNA from European ancestors. We always knew that we were mixed but we never knew the actual percentages. My sister and I have a trip planned to Senagal later this year. We want to see the lands where our family originally came from.

Still my sister's blond hair and blue eyes (my father's blue eyes) and my red hair/green eyes had to come from somewhere besides Mother Africa. My brother has black hair and light brown eyes (my Mum has pale freckled complexion, light brown eyes and carrot-red hair).

My sister and I had the DNA analysis done as a present for the family but since the PBS series (Dr. Henry Louis Gates) this has taken on new meanings. I found out about the Root site when I had been listening to Tom Joyner in the AM and what he discovered by tracing his family tree which was featured on the PBS series. The other thing that is cool is that by having your DNA analyzed, you are contributing to the DNA databases of African-Americans in this country. This is potentially great for things like tissue-typing and blood group antigens in our folks who might need transplants one day.

This is very interesting stuff and just shows how little race has to do with anything other than the fixation that American culture places on this. Racism is so ingrained that even when other ethnic groups migrated to this country, they took up the "white" American mantle of racism. I find it totally amazing that some East Asians are so racist toward African Americans especially those of us who are in professions.

The DNA analysis looks pretty interesting! I think I might have it done when I can scrounge up the money :).

Cool. Another ayisyen. My dad is Haitian and French. My mother is just Haitian. I'm also Jewish but that's a religion. :laugh: Basically, I'm a Black Haitian Jew. :cool:

Sounds Similar to me. On parent is French Sephardi Jew & the other is Trinidadian (French & African).

I always had the same feelings while growing up as well (to Asian people I was White and to White people I was Asian) and I hated it. I am half White / half Korean.

Curious, when it comes to the forms that ask for ethnicity and there is no mixed option, which do you select? Is it wrong to pick one if it is to your advantage?

EDIT: although I am not considered URM (I think), I thought I would chime in because of the mixed issue.

I always had the same feelings while growing up as well (to Asian people I was White and to White people I was Asian) and I hated it. I am half White / half Korean.

Curious, when it comes to the forms that ask for ethnicity and there is no mixed option, which do you select? Is it wrong to pick one if it is to your advantage?

EDIT: although I am not considered URM (I think), I thought I would chime in because of the mixed issue.

I usually just check the Black box (I'm mixed black and white), when it comes to forms that don't allow me to check more than one box. When I was younger, I had a bigger problem with checking just one box because I really felt like that didn't truly represent me and I felt like I was denying one of my parents. I know that society will always classify me as Black (and that's okay), but I check multiple boxes, or the "multiracial" box, whenever I have the chance. I believe it was very recently (in 2000 I think) that the US Census started allowing people to check more than 1 box, which I'm all for :)

There were a lot of mixed asian/white people in our Mixed student group at school who always talked about not being accepted by other Asian students because they weren't full Asian and didn't speak the language. This website has a lot of awesome, non-fiction stories about the multiracial Asian-American community if you're interested:
http://www.hapastories.com/

Thanks for the link. The author of the stories I have read so far have been white/korean as well and has gone through the EXACT same things. Ugh...makes me sad (reminding me) and happy (reading about others in my position) at the same time.

I usually check the Black box also (I'm black and asian). It's what people usually think I am at first glance, and what has primarily shaped my experiences. I never feel like I'm denying half my heritage when I do this because even my parents sometimes describe my siblings and I as being black.

I'm mixed too. 1/2 Shoshone + 1/4 Cherokee + 1/4 Choctaw= 4/4 Native American.

Regards,
eagleeye

I'm half white and half Turkish. I don't know whether this qualifies me as an URM applicant though...

I'm half white and half Turkish. I don't know whether this qualifies me as an URM applicant though...

I don't think half white/half turkish qualifies you as a urm...but being mixed definitely qualifies you as being awesome :D

Anyone else turn yellow in the winter? I'm dying for the sun to come out becuase i feel like a simpson!

im half asian and half african. i end up looking more asian though and choose to check myself as black. would medical schools question me as a urm canidate?

Sweet thread!

I am half Chinese, half Mexican. Felt the whole "out of place" thing as a teen. REALLY hated those forms where you had to "choose one" ethnicity to bubble in. But I'm definitely appreciating my duality more and more these days!

Not to push any websites but click on DNA Test from the link in my previous post. That takes you to a couple of DNA analysis sites. I used African Ancestry site and had my paternal DNA analyzed but then went back and check out my maternal DNA. Total cost was about $700 but my sister and I split the costs.

It took about 3 months to get everything back but the results were pretty interesting for us since we didn't know that we actually had a majority of DNA from European ancestors. We always knew that we were mixed but we never knew the actual percentages. My sister and I have a trip planned to Senagal later this year. We want to see the lands where our family originally came from.

Still my sister's blond hair and blue eyes (my father's blue eyes) and my red hair/green eyes had to come from somewhere besides Mother Africa. My brother has black hair and light brown eyes (my Mum has pale freckled complexion, light brown eyes and carrot-red hair).

My sister and I had the DNA analysis done as a present for the family but since the PBS series (Dr. Henry Louis Gates) this has taken on new meanings. I found out about the Root site when I had been listening to Tom Joyner in the AM and what he discovered by tracing his family tree which was featured on the PBS series. The other thing that is cool is that by having your DNA analyzed, you are contributing to the DNA databases of African-Americans in this country. This is potentially great for things like tissue-typing and blood group antigens in our folks who might need transplants one day.

This is very interesting stuff and just shows how little race has to do with anything other than the fixation that American culture places on this. Racism is so ingrained that even when other ethnic groups migrated to this country, they took up the "white" American mantle of racism. I find it totally amazing that some East Asians are so racist toward African Americans especially those of us who are in professions.

Even though I know my ancestory, DNA analysis scares the living daylights out of me. I always think "what if I find out something that I wasn't or didn't know about". Its scary thinking you are one thing your whole life but really more of something else and didn't know. For some people, that may be liberating, but, for me, its scary.

So, did you and your sister have the same amount (percentage) of Euro and African ancestory or was it different?

Also, I do not recall if you identified yourself as black or mixed but now that you know more of your background and that you have majority Euro ancestory, does it change your perspective on how you identify yourself?

I find it perplexing when individuals who have the opportunity to distance themselves from identifying with any given "race" still do so. I suppose the need to belong to a specific community is that important to some.

Well.. TECHNICALLY I am mixed being of Mexican origin. I am however, really light skinned. My skin is pretty much white. Light skin comes from both sides of my family. Grandmother had red hair, other grandmother has light skin. Although on my great grand mother from my grandfathers side looks obviously Native Indian. I was told her husband was blue eyed with light skin as well. From my area, I've never really identified with other Mexican peers. Probably because I live in an area that his predominantly caucasian and only spoke Spanish as a second language at home. But yeah, I'm definitely 'mixed'.

deleted
image.php
image-hosting-view-07.php

Last edited:

I'm white, cherokee, romani, french, german yadda yadda :) I check the "Native American/Alaskan Islander" box if there's no multiracial box. I think there should definitely be a box though, to at least give you the option.

It got into an interesting discussion a few years back with some government forms and being schooled on how to fill them out "properly." I'm 1/8th NA and my friend Demi was 1/8th AA -- so we're both the same amount of caucasian ancestry and have near-idenical skin tones. Apparently I'm supposed to mark white and Demi's supposed to be "black." :laugh: We both have the same idea, that if one 7/8th white person has to check "white" then the other 7/8 white person has to check it too.

What a funny world we live in!

Hi everyone,
I am half black and half white (Father is Black and mother German). I can definitely relate to the not fitting in issue. Although I must say it has gotten a lot better for me lately. I have just recently joined the SNMA-MAPS chapter in my school and absolutely love it. Did anyone of you attend the recent conference in New Orleans?

Hey all I am mixed, my mom is black, and my dad is white. Nationality wise I am german, russian, irish, native american and senegolian. I am finishing up my undergrad and preparing for med school.

Anyone else turn yellow in the winter? I'm dying for the sun to come out becuase i feel like a simpson!

I also turn very yellow in the winter. But one thing I love about being mixed is my eyes are hazel and I am in love with my curly hair, now that I figured out how to do it. I finally found a way to keep the curls frizz free!

I also turn very yellow in the winter. But one thing I love about being mixed is my eyes are hazel and I am in love with my curly hair, now that I figured out how to do it. I finally found a way to keep the curls frizz free!

Well. Are you going to share? Don't keep this secret from the rest of us.

But, turning yellow? Eww. That sounds nasty. Lol.