Mixing local with NaCl

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sonny Crocket

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our ropivicaine only comes in 1% or 0.75%. I mixed it with NaCl to get it down to 0.5% for the first time the other day.( I never mixed local with NaCl before and do tons of blocks.) Did a block that I was very satisfied on ultrasound with and it had almost no effect post op. The patient left the Pacu pain free later on after getting morphine, clonidine and Toradol.

Does mixing local with NaCl lower the pH too much and that is why my block was lousy?

Members don't see this ad.

Local anesthetics block the function of sodium channels located in neural tissue, inhibiting depolarization and thus the transmission of nerve impulses.1 A high sodium concentration is known to antagonize the analgesic effect of local anesthetics.2 On the other hand, dextrose when injected around nervous tissue does not cause any pain on injection and does not cause any long term neurological deficit in animals or humans.3, 4 and 5 Dilution with dextrose would reduce the concentration of sodium ions and hence reduce its antagonistic effect. In the literature, only one study using dextrose as diluent to produce 0.5% ropivacaine for axillary brachial plexus block showed a reduction in the onset time for sensory blockade when compared with dilution with saline.6 Our hypothesis was that dilution of the local anesthetics with dextrose would shorten the onset time compared to saline for a supraclavicular brachial plexus block.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0104001415001098

Members don't see this ad :)
At my program we routinely mix 20ccs Ropiv 1% with 10ccs NaCl to make Ropiv 0.66%. Seems to work very well...

Thanks for the replies. Must have been a bad block then. It's just weird that it coincided with the first time I mixed ropi with saline.

Dilute it quite often with NS and never noticed a difference. Never really thought about it, really.

Can someone help a student: how would an NS solution lower pH (other than long-term chloremic acidosis, which I assume is not the case here)?

I think he might be asking if adding saline affects the ratio of ionized to unionized local by affecting the final pH of the mixture. It would then affect the diffusibility and fat solubility and thereby the onset and maybe the intensity of block, and eventually also the duration of block.