mixing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

countryboy55

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
please dont laugh or thing I'm jerking around.....what is the correct way to mix oral supensions. I know its basically just add water and mix. I've seen different techs do it different ways. Which way do you think is most effective?

Members don't see this ad.

1. Tap the bottle to loosen the powder at the bottom.
2. Add approx half of the required amount of water. Shake vigorously
3. Add the remaining water. Shake again.
4. Remember to put auxillary stickers (shake well) and the expiration date.
5. Give to patient.:)

That's how I used to do it when I was working in retail.

1. Tap the bottle to loosen the powder at the bottom.
2. Add approx half of the required amount of water. Shake vigorously
3. Add the remaining water. Shake again.
4. Remember to put auxillary stickers (shake well) and the expiration date.
5. Give to patient.:)

That's how I used to do it when I was working in retail.

Oh, and make sure the cap of the bottle is on tightly when you shake it. I have sprayed small bursts of amoxicillin on my lab coat on more than one occasion. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, and make sure the cap of the bottle is on tightly when you shake it. I have sprayed small bursts of amoxicillin on my lab coat on more than one occasion. :laugh:

lol, I've done this a few times too. Even though you've closed thousands of bottles with people's prescriptions, the one time the lid is half-open is the time when you are mixing that oral suspension with the customer anxiously waiting at the counter. Then you show up with the suspension smelling like amoxicillin! Ethyl methyl pretty much nailed it on the head about how to mix oral suspensions.

We do the half-half water addition too. I think, however, when we add the first half, we spend most of the time loosening the powder on the bottom by turning the bottle upside down and pounding against the table or knocking the bottom a few times since a chunk of it tends to stick to the bottom. Then, when we add the second half of water, we give it the ol' vigorous shake.

Ditto on the cap thing. Amazing how untight it can be at times. = /

--Garfield3d

If you do the half and half way of mixing a suspension to a tiny zithromax suspension, I will stare at you out of sheer amazement and curiosity.

ive been thought the half way method and adding half amount of water then mix and add the remaining BUT ive been a tech for 3 years and what 99.99% works for me is to literally add all of the water then cap it tightly and dont shake yet. U flip it upside down and gently tap the powder on the bottom then begin to mix and its fine. Now if adding the water literally causes it to run over then obviously u dont want to add all but thats rare.

Its funny when pharmacist see me doing that bc they are like add half then im like uhhh ive been doing this for 3 years i know how to mix but as i said it works for me almost all the time and never fails if done right.

Hey, who's gonna explain why half/half.:idea:
:D

if u full it to the top then there is less space or less air for mixing whereas half way there can be more vigorous shaking. You dont want white powder to stick to the bottom is really the point. My method to full it and flipping it upside down and taping the power always works though and its less painful bc u dont forget to add the remaining half bc some ppl might do that. :)

Hey, who's gonna explain why half/half.:idea:
:D

My guess is that it is for reasons similar to those for making solutions in volumetric flasks in chemistry labs - ensuring proper volume (and thus concentration) of the solution as well as allowing space for the initial dissolving/mixing.

tap the bottle to make the powder loosen up
enter the volume of H2O needed on the purified water dispensing machine
get the water, the machine will stop after half volume if the volume is larger than 20ml ish
cap it and shake it up
get the other half amount of water
shake it up
give a dosing syringe to customer
done:D