Mizzou 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ceymed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Decisions came out today.
3rd on Alternate list....should I consider myself in?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say so! Last year they went up to like the 50's or something on the WL... now obviously that doesn't say anything about this year, but I think you're good!

Congrats on being so high on that list!

If you take out number 1 and 2, and then number X on the accepted list, you should be a shoe-in.:thumbup::smuggrin:

This message will self-destruct in 5 seconds

Members don't see this ad :)
Moving this to the Allo class threads for ongoing discussion (with ceymed's permission).

Congrats to everyone who's in and on the wait list! I'm #24 and trying to remain "cautiously optimistic" about my chances. :p

Hellooooooo is anyone out thereeeeeeee??

anyone know anything about merit scholarships?

so judging by the deadline, if you get off the waitlist you are ineligible for this?
Id be interested in doing it, but obviously I would have to be admitted first....

In case you haven't heard...

Last week the Board of Curators voted to raise tuition and fees at the rate of inflation. If my math is right, we're looking at a 4.1% increase which comes to roughly $24,824 (in-state students).

:(

It's only money, it's only money, it's only money...

Last week the Board of Curators voted to raise tuition and fees at the rate of inflation. If my math is right, we're looking at a 4.1% increase which comes to roughly $24,824 (in-state students).

Sorry to hear about the increase, but trust me, you guys got it better than most when it comes to tuition.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah... I saw that on the news last week... jerks.

Have you aceptees received your financial aid packages yet? Any word on when you will get them?

Have you aceptees received your financial aid packages yet? Any word on when you will get them?

from what ive heard is loans/grants/scholarships are all coming out late april. weve waited this long, whats a few more weeks... ugh...

im already in the dumps as ive received 2 finaid packages from other schools with ALL LOANS... come through for me, mizzou!

They've accepted through number 2. She's movin...

youre next....
sure seems slow?
or do you think that's about average for this stage? I assume most are waiting for financial aid info....

from what ive heard is loans/grants/scholarships are all coming out late april. weve waited this long, whats a few more weeks... ugh...

im already in the dumps as ive received 2 finaid packages from other schools with ALL LOANS... come through for me, mizzou!

For all the old Wheel of Fortune fans...

Big Money! Big Money! Big Money!

hahaha Press Your Luck was awesome.

Is anyone really expecting to get a good amount of money from Mizzou? I herad from someone (not a credible source by all means) that they just take all the money they get and split it up kinda evenly. Don't quote me, though.

So, who for sure is going to Mizzou starting this fall besides me?

So, who for sure is going to Mizzou starting this fall besides me?

Wow, you turned down Wash U? :bow: haha but I can see what you mean about Mizzou being a lot less cut-throat.

I withdrew my other acceptance about a week ago, so right now I'm all about Mizzou... that is, unless I get off my WL at Rochester.

Good stuff. See you in the fall. When are we supposed to be there? Late July?

hahaha Press Your Luck was awesome.

Is anyone really expecting to get a good amount of money from Mizzou? I herad from someone (not a credible source by all means) that they just take all the money they get and split it up kinda evenly. Don't quote me, though.

I hope you heard right, but I'm not expecting anything in the way of free money.

Even though we don't get much financial aid, it still beats paying some $40,00 a year for tuition at any private school. And I know we don't have the best in-state tuition. But did they mention that thing where, for every year you practice in an underserved area of Missouri (note that St. Louis city and county qualify as underserved...) they'll give you back $20,000? That sounds pretty legit to me.

And by the way, I hate my birthdate. It's on July 29th. I can never catch a break. None of my friends are ever in town to celebrate, and now orientation? Come on now...

Wow, you turned down Wash U? :bow: haha but I can see what you mean about Mizzou being a lot less cut-throat.

I withdrew my other acceptance about a week ago, so right now I'm all about Mizzou... that is, unless I get off my WL at Rochester.

Yeah, I have a long family history at WashU, and even that didn't get me excited about my acceptance. Funny thing is, I'm pretty sure that they just loved me, though I'm sure it stems from their love of my grandfather (who sits on the admissions committee...) Despite the name, it's just too expensive and too, just... I don't know. Self-absorbed? Or something? If I learned anything as an undergraduate, it was that the school does not in any way make the student. I got a great education at a state school, and I didn't have to pay a penny. I imagine that's what Mizzou will be like. Plus I had an uncle go here and he's doing really well for himself in private practice.

Which is a good thing considering how much it seems like I'll need to borrow to get through Mizzou. What with their new tuition increase and all...

Even though we don't get much financial aid, it still beats paying some $40,00 a year for tuition at any private school. And I know we don't have the best in-state tuition. But did they mention that thing where, for every year you practice in an underserved area of Missouri (note that St. Louis city and county qualify as underserved...) they'll give you back $20,000? That sounds pretty legit to me.

I haven't heard of that... but it'd be something to look into.

Yeah, I have a long family history at WashU, and even that didn't get me excited about my acceptance. Funny thing is, I'm pretty sure that they just loved me, though I'm sure it stems from their love of my grandfather (who sits on the admissions committee...) Despite the name, it's just too expensive and too, just... I don't know. Self-absorbed? Or something? If I learned anything as an undergraduate, it was that the school does not in any way make the student. I got a great education at a state school, and I didn't have to pay a penny. I imagine that's what Mizzou will be like. Plus I had an uncle go here and he's doing really well for himself in private practice.

Which is a good thing considering how much it seems like I'll need to borrow to get through Mizzou. What with their new tuition increase and all...

Yeah I'm at Mizzou right now finishing undergrad... I was one of those high school kids who swore they'd never go to Mizzou... but when it came down to it, money talks, and they were handing me a pretty penny. I look back on it, and I'm so glad I ended up here. I've loved it!

ColombianDoc said:
And by the way, I hate my birthdate. It's on July 29th. I can never catch a break. None of my friends are ever in town to celebrate, and now orientation? Come on now...

:confused:

What- we aren't good enough to celebrate with you??? :eek: :smuggrin:

Haha I'm w/ pingouin... and orientation seems like a perfect time to celebrate :D

They're definitely working through the scholarship applications. Yesterday I got a note from Cheri saying she had read my app and asked me to fill out an additional form and supply some supporting documentation.

They're definitely working through the scholarship applications. Yesterday I got a note from Cheri saying she had read my app and asked me to fill out an additional form and supply some supporting documentation.

is this need based or merit based stuff?

I wonder how waitlisters fare with fin aid versus those accepted earlier...

Captain Fantastic(or anyone else who may know):

How many Bryant or Conley scholars do they take every year? Are they counted in 98 people that they accept? So in reality, there really are not 98 spots, b/c you would have to be crazy as a pre-med to turn down one of the two scholar offers, right?

I am sloooooowly going crazy thinking about all of this....greatful for a waitlist(instead of a rejection), but all this waiting is hard.

Captain Fantastic(or anyone else who may know):

How many Bryant or Conley scholars do they take every year? Are they counted in 98 people that they accept? So in reality, there really are not 98 spots, b/c you would have to be crazy as a pre-med to turn down one of the two scholar offers, right?

I am sloooooowly going crazy thinking about all of this....greatful for a waitlist(instead of a rejection), but all this waiting is hard.

They take up to 10 Bryant scholars every year and 20-30 Conleys. For this year, the Conleys started off w/ 27, but I don't know how many are still left of either (due to grade requirements and other things). And, there are always a couple a year that go elsewhere. They are included in the 96 person class... but just remember that they always go pretty deep into the WL regardless! Don't lose hope!

Yeah. That's the one. It's got to be primary care, but it still sounds like a great deal.

I also got a letter from Financial Aid after sending in their Application for Financial Aid and FAFSA.

Just a piece of advice. I had to find this out the hard way, but you can't really go through Cheri (even though she's really helpful) since Financial Aid is separate from the medical school. Send the supporting stuff to the actual office of financial aid since they can't share information between departments without the student's consent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingouin
:confused:

What- we aren't good enough to celebrate with you??? :eek: :smuggrin:

Haha I'm w/ pingouin... and orientation seems like a perfect time to celebrate :D

I wasn't NOT thinking about that. Maybe I'll have a big party for all the new med students. It'd be a nice way to meet new people (and drink:laugh:) before all of our lives get really, really busy.

Orientation would be a perfect time for something like that. Does anyone know when the whitecoat ceremony is?

Might not be the best idea to throw a party the night before...:hardy:

Just a piece of advice. I had to find this out the hard way, but you can't really go through Cheri (even though she's really helpful) since Financial Aid is separate from the medical school. Send the supporting stuff to the actual office of financial aid since they can't share information between departments without the student's consent.

What supporting stuff? I'm really lost w/ all the F.A. stuff since I've never dealt w/ loans or anything.

I wasn't NOT thinking about that. Maybe I'll have a big party for all the new med students. It'd be a nice way to meet new people (and drink:laugh:) before all of our lives get really, really busy.

Orientation would be a perfect time for something like that. Does anyone know when the whitecoat ceremony is?

Might not be the best idea to throw a party the night before...:hardy:

White coat is supposed to be Aug. 3. Here's a calendar I found:
http://som.missouri.edu/documents/Calendar2008-09.pdf

What supporting stuff? I'm really lost w/ all the F.A. stuff since I've never dealt w/ loans or anything.

For me, they needed proof of US citizenship. Apparently it didn't include that in the FAFSA. I sent some documents to Cheri, but she had to forward them to the more general Financial Aid Office. I've also heard that some people may need to send in things like tax returns or other things like that.

from what ive heard, merit and need aid is being determined this week. anyone here anything today?

Did everyone get their packets in the mail? Sounds like orientation week is going to have loooooong days... so a birthday celebration will be an awesome break from that, Colombiandoc! :D

Did everyone get their packets in the mail? Sounds like orientation week is going to have loooooong days... so a birthday celebration will be an awesome break from that, Colombiandoc! :D

Yeah, mine arrived on Saturday.

My BLS card expires in March 2009, so I "get" to recert this summer in order to have it expire "no earlier than May 15, 2009." Missed it by six weeks. Lucky me.

Anyone considering Jump Start? I'm thinking about it. Just wondering if anyone else is contemplating sacrificing their last week of summer as well?

Yeah, mine arrived on Saturday.

My BLS card expires in March 2009, so I "get" to recert this summer in order to have it expire "no earlier than May 15, 2009." Missed it by six weeks. Lucky me.

Anyone considering Jump Start? I'm thinking about it. Just wondering if anyone else is contemplating sacrificing their last week of summer as well?

Ohhhh that sucks. My card expires Sept. 2008, so obviously I have to get recertified... even if my card didn't expire then, I think I would want to do it again because when I was certified, it was at my job and they did an awful job of doing it.

Not really considering JumpStart... even though I am nervous. I think I'll be able to get into some type of groove during orientation... or I hope I do :scared:

:D

In other news... Only 8 days left of class = 2 papers, 2 quizzes, 1 final... scary!

Not really considering JumpStart... even though I am nervous. I think I'll be able to get into some type of groove during orientation... or I hope I do :scared:

:D

In other news... Only 8 days left of class = 2 papers, 2 quizzes, 1 final... scary!

JumpStart sounds like it was designed for people like me. (Engineering undergrad and my last full-time post-bacc semester was Fall '06.) I'm worried it will take me longer to find a groove since I can't quite remember what it feels like.

Congrats and good luck with commencement! Graduation from Mizzou is one of my favorite memories. Honors convocation is awesome and I had a lot of friends in my engineering class; it was neat to graduate together. I had a great time, I hope you have a similar experience!