MN resident, 36 MCAT, 3.7c GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kevinsword91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying this cycle and could use a little guidance. I started out my undergrad not really getting involved as much as I should have so I think my EC's are not enough. Furthermore, my GPA has a slight downward trend as I progressed through undergrad(though my last semester was an increase).

GPA: 3.5 science, 3.7 cumulative, Bio major with public health minor

MCAT: 11/11/14 (36)

Major ECs:
- Volunteered two semesters as a research associate at ED; saw a lot of emer. med (260 hours)
- Other hospital volunteering (120 hours)
- Officer and then Co-President in Public Health Student Organization
- Volunteer for global health course(30 hours)
- Shadowing (12 hours)
- Human Biology TA for lab (1 year; 140 hours)
- Volunteer Leader for Orientation for freshman (110 hours)
- Lab Assistant (90 hours; more of the person who sets up the labs for classes not research)
- Starting a full time position as a medical scribe in Internal Medicine(for my gap year; will probably have only 120 hours in by the time I apply)

Research: I did a summer research internship looking at smoking in college students. Not any bench research, but did present my research, get my name on another poster, and maybe have a paper in works if my PI and her team ever finish it.

My lack of research, disappointing sGPA, and lack of shadowing worry me. My hope is that scribing will make up for it.

Any suggestions for schools would be appreciated.

Long Shot
Emory
Mayo

Middle Shot Schools
U of MN Twin Cities
U of MN Duluth
U of Wisconsin(some connections to state)
Medical College of WI
U of Iowa
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying this cycle and could use a little guidance. I started out my undergrad not really getting involved as much as I should have so I think my EC's are not enough. Furthermore, my GPA has a slight downward trend as I progressed through undergrad(though my last semester was an increase).

GPA: 3.5 science, 3.7 cumulative, Bio major with public health minor

MCAT: 11/11/14 (36)

Major ECs:
- Volunteered two semesters as a research associate at ED; saw a lot of emer. med (260 hours)
- Other hospital volunteering (120 hours)
- Officer and then Co-President in Public Health Student Organization
- Volunteer for global health course(30 hours)
- Shadowing (12 hours)
- Human Biology TA for lab (1 year; 140 hours)
- Volunteer Leader for Orientation for freshman (110 hours)
- Lab Assistant (90 hours; more of the person who sets up the labs for classes not research)
- Starting a full time position as a medical scribe in Internal Medicine(for my gap year; will probably have only 120 hours in by the time I apply)

Research: I did a summer research internship looking at smoking in college students. Not any bench research, but did present my research, get my name on another poster, and maybe have a paper in works if my PI and her team ever finish it.

My lack of research, disappointing sGPA, and lack of shadowing worry me. My hope is that scribing will make up for it.

Any suggestions for schools would be appreciated.

Long Shot
Emory
Mayo

Middle Shot Schools
U of MN Twin Cities
U of MN Duluth
U of Wisconsin(some connections to state)
Medical College of WI
U of Iowa
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin

You may have a shot at UND as well.

I would focus on mid-tiers and add a few reaches.

Your MCAT is very high but your lack of research and sGPA will hurt at top schools (your are still in range though so may as well take a shot).

Mid-tiers to consider: Einstein, Rochester, Tufts, Stony Brook, Tulane.

Top Tier: Any ones where the 10th percentile sGPA is below 3.5. Add a few of these that you really want.