MN resident, cGPA 3.37, sGPA 3.27, MCAT 36

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sirenitaa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for help with my school list. Before I get slaughtered for my GPA, I want to mention that I did my undergrad studies at Johns Hopkins. Hopefully admission boards will take that into account, but I'm not sure to what extent. My story is also pretty unique; I was diagnosed with a brain tumor at age 12, came out okay, and have wanted to be a doctor ever since. Haven't finished my PS yet, but I'm confident it will be strong.

cGPA 3.37
sGPA 3.27
MCAT 36
Biology, B.A.
Minor in Spanish
Minnesota resident
White female

ECs:
- Shadowed full-time in Pediatric Oncology for a summer
- 4 years on my school's Relay for Life committee
- 3 years teaching weekly afterschool art classes to inner city Baltimore kids
- 100 hours tutoring recently-immigrated Spanish speaking Baltimore kids
- 60 hours volunteering in an ER
- on Exec board of my sorority for 2 years (1 of them was philanthropy chair)
- 1 year of research at JHU SOM outcome-based study on kidney transplantation, no publications or posters (since its outcome-based there won't be definitive results for at least another few years)
- Worked full-time for the past year as an ER and Cardiology scribe, plan to do this for the next year too

Current School List:

U of Minnesota
U of Wisconsin
Loyola
U of Cincinnati
Ohio State University
Creighton
U of Iowa
Medical College of Wisconsin
Tufts
George Washington
Tulane
New York Medical College
Albany
Wake Forest
EVMS
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Baylor
Mt. Sinai
Jefferson
Case Western
Mayo
Quinnipiac
Oakland University

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
not sure if mayo & mt. sinai is worth it (gpa screen)

add Drexel and Temple just to cover your bases.

your story is definitely unique and mcat is excellent. if you have time i would sign up for a few cc classes just so you can follow up with an update letter later.

gl

I think you'll get in at least one school on your list. I would search every school though to see if they have a GPA cutoff... this would save you an extra $100 or more in some cases.

Seeing how much harder it is to get a good GPA at Hopkins makes me happy I just went to the umn.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. I know Mayo, Mt. Sinai, and Baylor are crazy reaches but I love what their programs offer and think I would regret it if I didn't at least try.

Do you think I should be looking at DO schools? I want to specialize and am not really into holistic and primary care, so I feel like I would be better suited as an MD but would consider DO if I really needed to.

pretty solid app besides the gpa. people are aware of hopkin's gpa deflation but don't expect it to do much for you. school list looks pretty solid, i might add BU

Thanks for the advice. I know Mayo, Mt. Sinai, and Baylor are crazy reaches but I love what their programs offer and think I would regret it if I didn't at least try.

Do you think I should be looking at DO schools? I want to specialize and am not really into holistic and primary care, so I feel like I would be better suited as an MD but would consider DO if I really needed to.

I think you'll do fine hand i wouldn't look into do schools. :)