Mnemonic for disease and symptoms?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

as90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So one of my surgery preceptors loves pimping me about medicine topics. She says that I have the knowledge there but I need to find a way to organize it by system. So today, for instance she asked me what would the symptom and clinical presentation be of thyrotoxicosis be? i told her exopthalmos, flushing.

she immediately yelled at me and said I need to be going into a systematic way otherwise I will miss one of the symptoms. Any mnemonics for that?

I know for differntial diagnosis its VINDICATES

but should i just be practicing as if im writing the objective part of a note or ROS or something?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Well, first is learning symptoms Vs signs.
Symptoms are, for a general term, what patients tell you. Exopthalmos is, like, a very specific thing that patients don't report and you don't see always with thyrotoxicosis. But that's beside the point. I agree with her idea of how to memorize things by symptoms. Not with her yelling. If you follow the ROS when describing things, it does make things easier. That being said: DO NOT feel bad for not doing it right now. You'll get the hang of it. It's more important at this point to know the information. The last few years teach you how to use it effectively.