Mnemonic for Solubility Rules?? (don't laugh)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2bkiddoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know, that should be easy. but its a roadblock.

anyone know of any???

thx.

Members don't see this ad.

you actually don't need em for the MCAT according to EK

I just remember that silver isn't soluble hahaha

Reactions: 1 user
the mnemonic is:

C A S H n Gia

its suppose to say read like "Cashin' Gia"...how to remember that? well the story is...im a pimp...and gia is my hoe, and i need to get my cash from her. hence...Cashing from gia.

C is clorates, A is acetates, S is sulfates, H is halogens, n is Nitrates, and Gia is Group I A metals. ---> THESE ARE ALL SOLUBLE, XCEPT

for S: Ca, Ba, Sr.....just remember the tv network CBS
for H: Ca, Ba, Sr + Happy...whats happy? Hb Ag Pb ...mercury, silvr and lead...add a py to the end and all the first letters spell HAPPY

and if its not part of CASHnGIA...its insoluble.

tell me what u think

Reactions: 2 users
2bkiddoc said:
i know, that should be easy. but its a roadblock.

anyone know of any???

thx.

Ksp is just another type of equilibra constant Keq or like Ka or Kb for acid/base problems, therefore Ksp = [Products]/[Reactants]

The key things here to remember are:

1. the balance/Number of Moles created have to be factored correctly (See below)
2. Solids and non aqueous liquids are considred 1 and drop out of the equation.

There are a few others but those are the two main factors

A2B(s) <--> 2A + B

Note: for each molecule of A2B that dissociated 2A's are there and 1 B there and the reactant A2B is 1 since its a solid

Ksp = [A]^2 When solving for x now if x =

Ksp = [2x]^2 (X) = 4x^3

That is the only real trick to the solubility Problems. My guess since take cube roots, unless the math is greatly simplified, wont show up on the MCAT.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
SilvrGrey330 said:
the mnemonic is:

C A S H n Gia

its suppose to say read like "Cashin' Gia"...how to remember that? well the story is...im a pimp...and gia is my hoe, and i need to get my cash from her. hence...Cashing from gia.

C is clorates, A is acetates, S is sulfates, H is halogens, n is Nitrates, and Gia is Group I A metals. ---> THESE ARE ALL SOLUBLE, XCEPT

for H: Ca, Ba, Sr + Happy...whats happy? Hb Ag Pb ...mercury, silvr and lead...add a py to the end and all the first letters spell HAPPY

tell me what u think
:thumbup: :laugh:

SilvrGrey330 said:
the mnemonic is:

C A S H n Gia

tell me what u think

very clever. Did you make it up yourself or read it somewhere?

You're amazing. It's amazing.

The roadblock may be torn down. Let's see if it sticks.

THANK YOU!!! :D

SilvrGrey330 said:
the mnemonic is:

C A S H n Gia

tell me what u think

This is Awesome! I was wondering struggling also... thanks
:thumbup:
SilvrGrey330 said:
the mnemonic is:

C A S H n Gia

tell me what u think

Members don't see this ad :)
SilvrGrey330 said:
the mnemonic is:

C A S H n Gia

tell me what u think

this is so awesome, i always had trouble memorizing the solubility stuff, thx a lot! :thumbup: :)

the mnemonic is:

C A S H n Gia

tell me what u think

I modified this to include everything, since you're missing ammonium and one exception.

Use

CASHn G1A (ie. hhappy scabs)

Same as before, you're a pimp and gia is your ho' but her street name is hhappy scabs because she's a scabby ho' that will make you hhappy.

Chlorate
Acetates
Sulfates
Halogens
nitrates

Group
1 Salts
Ammonium Salts

except (ie)

halides w/
hg
ag
pb
(add py to make happy)

sulfates w/
ca
ag
ba
sr

everything else insoluble

Last edited:
Found that the other day^^^^

Ended up killing the second portion of solution chemistry in TPRH-SW thanks to that!

My advice is to create nonsense words/phrases to remember this information. For example, for insoluble salts:

ChrOxCaS-P, MHox

That is, insoluble salts of:
Chromate
Oxalate
Carbonate
Sulfide
Phosphate

Metal Hydroxides and oxides

Exceptions are the above salts with group I cations and ammonium and Ba(OH)2.

Also, CaSrBa-Pb (Cahserbah-Pb) (Sulfates/Fluorides and add Mg2+ to fluorides); Hg2, Ag, Pb (Halides)

As long as you know the insoluble salts, you know the soluble salts. I have used this mnemonic without fail in my classes and on standardized exams. Of course, this may not work for everybody.

EDIT: I just now realized that this is a 10-year old thread. I apologize if I broke any rules.

I have one for soluble ones...

Just a heads ups, it is long but works for me so if it does not work for you, you can totally ignore it...
(p.s. if I am wrong in any exceptions, please correct me.)

NAPA GC +(S 17)

Soluble: NAPA GC + S 17

ALWAYS SOLUBLE [I think as 'NAPA valley people Go Crazy if you mix water in their wine'] Hence, NAPA GC = always soluble in water, no exceptions

N- Nitrate
A- Acetate
P- Perchlorate
A- Ammonium
G- Grp I cations (Na+, K+,..)
C- Chlorate

Soluble, but has exceptions [I think as 'What a fate, you had Sweet 17!'] Hence, S 17= soluble with exceptions

S- Sweet - Sulfate exception: [I think as 'party starts after 2 PM']
where 2 = grp 2.. Ca2+ and below cations
P = Pb2+ (lead)
M = diMercury (Hg2 ^ 2+)

17- group 17 anions (Cl-, Br-,.. ) - exception: PMS
where P = Pb2+ (lead)
M = diMercury (Hg2^2+)
S = Silver (Ag+)