MOA of clindamycin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CBG23

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen it alternatively listed as halting translocation or inhibiting peptide bond formation - so, which is it?

Members don't see this ad.

Same thing for Streptogramins; no consistent MOA. Wonder why they even bother mentioning a MOA if they don't know for sure...

Its main effect is on peptidyl transferase to inhibit peptide bond formation... even though it binds to the same ribosomal site as a macrolide, it isn't a macrolide (it is a lincosamide). The truth is, they don't know FOR SURE but I would focus on the peptidyl transferase MOA... interestingly, it still doesn't explain the differences in spectrum between macrolides and clindamycin. Meh...

Members don't see this ad :)
Its main effect is on peptidyl transferase to inhibit peptide bond formation... even though it binds to the same ribosomal site as a macrolide, it isn't a macrolide (it is a lincosamide). The truth is, they don't know FOR SURE but I would focus on the peptidyl transferase MOA... interestingly, it still doesn't explain the differences in spectrum between macrolides and clindamycin. Meh...

I don't think MOA determines spectrum...

Really? Hmmm... so vancomycin can have the same spectrum as, say, colistin? since they have different MOA.... I am just wondering what your point here is... perhaps you misunderstood my statement.

I think you misunderstood me.
contrary to what you were suggesting, similar mechanism does not necessarily mean same or similar spectrum, hell, even 2 antibiotics of the same family can't have same or similar spectrum. look at penicillins, cephalosporins etc...

I think you misunderstood me.
contrary to what you were suggesting, similar mechanism does not necessarily mean same or similar spectrum, hell, even 2 antibiotics of the same family can't have same or similar spectrum. look at penicillins, cephalosporins etc...

Yes, I know that. My point is, is that they are unsure as to what the MOA of clindamycin really as (as stated by an above poster); however, they know clindamycin acts at the same "site" as a macrolide, albeit it also at a different "step". However, that difference still doesn't allow them to explain the differences in spectrum from a pharmacology standpoint. But, hey, if you wanna feel super smart go ahead ;) and yes, I misunderstood your random one-liner and I fail to see what your initial intention was. If you have additional information regarding the MOA of clindamycin, please share it is with us :)

EDIT: and what do you think I was suggesting? I wasn't suggesting anything... LOL You read too far into it.

Just a picky note (but might get you that extra point on Step 1)... the clindamycin acts on the 50s ribosomal submit. And you guys are right, marcolides also act and compete on this 50s ribosomal site.

Also, clinda may potentiate opsonization and phagocytosis of bacteria. Since it affects transpeptidation of the bacteria, it causes changes in the cell wall structure of bacteria; making adherence of bacteria to host cells less effective and easing the opsonization and phagocytosis of these buggers.

Just a picky note (but might get you that extra point on Step 1)... the clindamycin acts on the 50s ribosomal submit. And you guys are right, marcolides also act and compete on this 50s ribosomal site.

Also, clinda may potentiate opsonization and phagocytosis of bacteria. Since it affects transpeptidation of the bacteria, it causes changes in the cell wall structure of bacteria; making adherence of bacteria to host cells less effective and easing the opsonization and phagocytosis of these buggers.

:thumbup: