MOCA 2.0 and fellowship question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hotroddin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The aba website states under "Part 4 requirements" that "Other ABMS Member Board Part 4 Activites" is "Diplomat provides certificate of completion". Then it list points per hour....?? Am I to assume that my pain fellowship that I completed the board certification for is sufficient for the 25 hrs required for a 5 year period.

If so (which I truly hope is true), what about our colleagues who completed regional fellowship?

Here is a pic from the website below. Sorry in advance if this has already been addressed in another thread. I looked and saw some questions that alluded to this but nothing completely clear.
Screen Shot 2015-11-27 at 10.56.44 PM.png

Members don't see this ad.

It means that if you are certified by another ABMS member board, too, you will get credit for Part 4 activities that are recognized by that specific board.

It doesn't mean that you get credit for your fellowship. Although an ACGME fellowship used to count for Part 2 CME, as long as one finished it in the year one became an ABA diplomate, or later.

Fellowship - The ABA will grant up to 50 CME credits for 12 months of fellowship training in an ACGME-accredited subspecialty program, or in an anesthesiology subspecialty fellowship program sponsored by an ACGME-accredited core anesthesiology program. In order to receive credit toward the MOCA program, you need to have completed the fellowship in or after the year you received your primary certification in anesthesiology from the ABA.
http://www.theaba.org/PDFs/MOCA/MOCA-Part2-CME-Classification-AMA

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
For those that passed their specialty boards do the cme hours and part 4 activities we accumulate for that also count for our general anesthesia MOCA credits? I hate this crap, I wish it was more straightforward.

For those that passed their specialty boards do the cme hours and part 4 activities we accumulate for that also count for our general anesthesia MOCA credits? I hate this crap, I wish it was more straightforward.
Yes. That is my understanding, for Peds anyway.
The "general" boards may have specific requirements on safety, etc. that should count for the specialty board CME.