MOCA 2.0 Deadline - Participate or NOT???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What do you think of MOCA 2.0?

• It's a valid program and should be required of ALL anesthesiologists.

• It's a money grab by the ABA.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dr Acula

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
MOCA 1.0, 2.0, whatever you want to call it is clearly a money grab by the ABA. If it were truly about safety or proficiency or whatever, then it would be required for EVERYONE.

So with the deadline of March 31st approaching, are there any alternatives to paying the extortionists until an offense can be mounted to strike down MOCA in all forms?

I strongly support CME, and CME requirements but not money grabs like MOCA 2.0. Are there any groups still fighting it like the IM docs who struck down their version of MOCA.

A

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
MOCA 1.0, 2.0, whatever you want to call it is clearly a money grab by the ABA. If it were truly about safety or proficiency or whatever, then it would be required for EVERYONE.

So with the deadline of March 31st approaching, are there any alternatives to paying the extortionists until an offense can be mounted to strike down MOCA in all forms?

I strongly support CME, and CME requirements but not money grabs like MOCA 2.0. Are there any groups still fighting it like the IM docs who struck down their version of MOCA.

A
I did it this year. I will not be doing it next year or ever again. The MOCA minute questions are a joke. The part 4 homework is a joke. No patient has ever asked me if I do MOCA; the assertion that the public demands it is a complete falsehood.

MOCA is a practice tax levied by the ABA.

Sign up for NBPAS. Lobby your hospital to accept it. A list of hospitals that currently recognize it is here: https://nbpas.org/hospitals-accepting-nbpas-diplomats/ If it's good enough for Texas Heart, should be good enough for everyone.

Just say no.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm too young to burn my board cert bridge with the ABA just yet. I'll finish playing the game and paying my money this cycle but next round ...

I'm a bit disappointed with the MOCA Minute implementation thus far. It's a good idea. The quality of the questions was quite variable, from trivial to obscure, with a few good ones mixed in. It's a hard problem to come up with good questions on good topics given the 60 second limit. The software implementation was just poor though ... no reason for me to get repeat questions that I got right the first time. No excusing that. But next week I'll do another 30 and hope for something better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah... Agree with pgg. Not ready to burn any bridges and the ABA knows this. MOCA minute is a joke. I've only completed about 10 questions, but about 5/10 of them were non-clinical to somewhat clinical esoteric questions.
I am not an infectious disease physician. So viruses from Uganda aren't my forte.
Not happy with the implementation of this 2.0 system thus far.

I'm too young to burn my board cert bridge with the ABA just yet. I'll finish playing the game and paying my money this cycle but next round ...

I'm a bit disappointed with the MOCA Minute implementation thus far. It's a good idea. The quality of the questions was quite variable, from trivial to obscure, with a few good ones mixed in. It's a hard problem to come up with good questions on good topics given the 60 second limit. The software implementation was just poor though ... no reason for me to get repeat questions that I got right the first time. No excusing that. But next week I'll do another 30 and hope for something better.

I'm glad that Moca 2.0 won't be an issue for me going forward as it is a waste of time. I'll recertify (voluntarily) one more time then stop with MOCA altogether. It simply doesn't add any real world value.

As for those stuck with this system I recommend the ABA adapt the ACE Questions each year or the MOCA minute to complete the knowledge portion of MOCA. The ABA can "license" the ACE questions and then ask them on an online exam each year with the same questions. This will asses "learning" and "core competence" without being overly harsh.

The worst part of MOCA Minute is that it doesn't look like they've finished deciding what to do with it yet.

There's a standard, supposedly, but they say they need more data to set it.

So what happens to the people who don't meet the standard? Do they have to do extra MOCA Minutes? Will they not get recertified? Do they get scolded? Do they have to pay another $210 penance?

If there's some tangible consequence to "failure" measurable in either time or money, it'll be gamed by people, which will skew the results.

Grandfathering people into a program doesn't necessarily make it a money grab. That is done in many things for practical reasons, not the least of which are the honest intentions of those who entered into the agreement in the first place. If you were told you had a lifetime membership, and then 9 years later it was taken away, you would be quite upset.

Of course, allowing grandfathering, makes the thing much more easy to introduce, because the old curmudgeons won't fight back. They have too many other things they need to fight back against.

Ton of repeat questions. Stupid software. Can't even download the mobile app for some reason. Unimpressed.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
the 3/31 deadline isn't a hard deadline. If you register afterwards, you just have to do more questions to makeup for it for the rest of the year, this is from the ABA when I emailed them.

the 3/31 deadline isn't a hard deadline. If you register afterwards, you just have to do more questions to makeup for it for the rest of the year, this is from the ABA when I emailed them.

That is good. I was wondering what they would do to procrastinators like me. I guess I can start the MOCA minute and still contribute to NBPAS without being a hypocrite, just a chicken?

Reactions: 1 user