This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cristinayang16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I was just wondering is it possible to model on the side while you are in med school? I would obviously spend most of my time studying but for some free time I want to model, maybe walk in some shows. I got scouted and plan to go to med school in New York. Is it a waste of time or is it okay to? It would be more of a hobby rather than a job.

Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

Would a modeling agency want to represent you if your availability is very limited? Many of these shows are weekdays when you'd be expected to be in class/lab. And there are fittings and so forth. And models are expected to travel. I'd say it doesn't sound practical.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I personally would not do anything that elicits publicity while I am a medical student, just to be safe. When you open yourself up to a larger audience, there's going to be some people criticizing random things about you, which could be trouble if your school does not want the trouble.

Reactions: 1 users
I personally would not do anything that elicits publicity while I am a medical student, just to be safe. When you open yourself up to a larger audience, there's going to be some people criticizing random things about you, which could be trouble if your school does not want the trouble.

I don't see where being a model is in any way "publicity". With rare exception, models are nameless.

Truth be told, decades ago I was a model in a print ad for a major retailer in my community. Just playing a mom in the ad (I wasn't actually a mom at the time.) Someone point it out to my boss who said, "That's not Lizzy; you mean to say that it is someone who looks like her."

Reactions: 13 users
I know someone who did this and it did cause her problems later on during residency at Seattle Grace Hospital. One of her patients actually recognized her from the modeling pictures and it made it very awkward. If I remember correctly, her name was Izzie Stevens.

Reactions: 56 users
I don't see where being a model is in any way "publicity". With rare exception, models are nameless.

Truth be told, decades ago I was a model in a print ad for a major retailer in my community. Just playing a mom in the ad (I wasn't actually a mom at the time.) Someone point it out to my boss who said, "That's not Lizzy; you mean to say that it is someone who looks like her."

Found it!

91a438083d1ce013a52ac6c25c37c99b.jpg

Reactions: 14 users
Alright now we gotta see them pics OP

Reactions: 5 users
There are many insta famous doctors who get lots of publicity... Do what you want and embrace who you are. Make good choices and be HAPPY! Good luck and congrats on medical school.

Reactions: 2 users

She doesn't have to be one of the big names that everyone recognizes to get bad publicity. People who are interested will recognize and remember a lot of different models, and all you need is one person pointing you out and say bad things to create trouble. And it's one thing to model a winter jacket in the Sears catalogue. It's another to walk on the runway with extremely short skirts and crazy makeup. Not saying the OP will do the latter, but there's a spectrum and you generally don't know where on the spectrum you can safely be without somebody causing trouble for you.

Are you actually in a position to get into a NYC med school?

Half the time with posts like these the person isn't actually competitive and they are trying to entertain a pipe dream.

GPA MCAT?

Reactions: 4 users
She doesn't have to be one of the big names that everyone recognizes to get bad publicity. People who are interested will recognize and remember a lot of different models, and all you need is one person pointing you out and say bad things to create trouble. And it's one thing to model a winter jacket in the Sears catalogue. It's another to walk on the runway with extremely short skirts and crazy makeup. Not saying the OP will do the latter, but there's a spectrum and you generally don't know where on the spectrum you can safely be without somebody causing trouble for you.

When I've heard criticism of students who took on activities outside of school work, it has been because the school work was not up to par.

at @Okazaki Frag Grenade LOL -- great find.

Reactions: 3 users
Are you actually in a position to get into a NYC med school?

Half the time with posts like these the person isn't actually competitive and they are trying to entertain a pipe dream.

GPA MCAT?
There are many less competitive schools in NYC... NYCOM, Downstate, NYU, Stony

Members don't see this ad :)
There are many less competitive schools in NYC... NYCOM, Downstate, NYU, Stony

In the grand scheme of things to get into ANY med school takes some effort and intellect.

Like I said, I am just curious if OP has an MCAT and GPA to share or whether she just did some googling or she thinks being a doctor is cool.

Reactions: 1 user
I know someone who did this and it did cause her problems later on during residency at Seattle Grace Hospital. One of her patients actually recognized her from the modeling pictures and it made it very awkward. If I remember correctly, her name was Izzie Stevens.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::claps:

A student at a school in my state is on the stunt team for the NBA team. I'd say that's pretty public

Hi I was just wondering is it possible to model on the side while you are in med school? I would obviously spend most of my time studying but for some free time I want to model, maybe walk in some shows. I got scouted and plan to go to med school in New York. Is it a waste of time or is it okay to? It would be more of a hobby rather than a job.

Thank You!

I know a med student at Stanford that models. Well, used to model. She stopped after the latest fashion week. She's in her 3rd year. I'm pretty sure she wrote an article about it for Huffington Post.

The reason NYU rose in the rankings is because of a large, 1 time infusion of federal funding to replace the research facilities that were destroyed by Superstorm Sandy.
I also got the impression that they've been on an upward trend since Dean Grossman began leading the school, but that could just be their way of selling themselves.

Regardless, it is very selective and should not be on a list of "less competitive" NY schools.

I also got the impression that they've been on an upward trend since Dean Grossman began leading the school, but that could just be their way of selling themselves.

Regardless, it is very selective and should not be on a list of "less competitive" NY schools

Strongly agree!

what would be more likely in fashion week... not underwear modeling!
Yet at the same time I would be extremely judgmental of anyone who voluntarily puts on one of those outfits ;)

Edit: I see maybe one that would be okay in real life.

what would be more likely in fashion week... not underwear modeling!
Yet at the same time I would be extremely judgmental of anyone who voluntarily puts on one of those outfits ;)

Edit: I see maybe one that would be okay in real life.

I'd just stand there completely frozen :oops:

Thank You!

A classmate of mine modeled, but it was far from a regular thing. Just give it a go and see if you can make it work. I'd avoid making any significant commitments though. No one knows how much they'll need to work in med school. Not very feasible to self assess until you start and get in the mix of it

I've seen too many students burned by thinking they can do med school and some outside occupation.

I agree and recommend 100% against making any real commitments in med school until you hit your groove. If she has to sign a contract with some agency, abso-effing-lutely don't. But if she can go model on a whim as she has a free night / weekend, etc, go for it.

I think its doable a couple days a month if its on your terms and if you enjoy it.

Unless it's one of these agencies--IMG, Marilyn, the Lions, the Society, Next, Women, DNA--you have more to lose than gain. Why, you ask? You will owe your agency A TON of money in the beginning and dig yourself into a hole of even greater debt. You will have to pay for polaroids and headshots taken for your book before your agent sends you out on castings. Then, you will actually need to book jobs to pay them back. Unless you look like Taylor Hill or have connections like Gigi Hadid and Kendall Jenner, you probably will book very few jobs in the beginning because people won't know who you are. Realistically, it will take 2-3 years before you are start steadily booking jobs. And if and when you book jobs, you will need to travel for shows and shoots, which means you will have to miss class. This is maybe possible pre-clinical years if your lectures are recorded and 100% not feasible during third and fourth year. Forget the late night binge eating before exams, because your agent will be constantly telling you to lose weight, tone up, and to lose an inch off your hips or you'll be dropped. Last and not least, you will absolutely need a clause in your contract for no nudes/ smoking shots. The modeling world is not exactly synonymous with professionalism and integrity. If I were you, I would focus on medical school and forget modeling.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I think it's possible to continue an established career during medical school if it works around your school schedule and isn't terribly demanding. Starting anything new sounds like a bad idea. I've been in the same profession for a long time and while I can work anywhere with minimal training, there's a huge learning curve and mental investment into anything new. I cannot imagine trying a new job, let alone a new career (even part time) while investing the energy required to succeed in medical school.

Only on SDN... Stop watching Greys Anatomy and study, and for the record, Izzie Stevens is the absolute worst character on that show

Reactions: 4 users
Only on SDN... Stop watching Greys Anatomy and study, and for the record, Izzie Stevens is the absolute worst character on that show

Sure its not the guy who sexual harasses everyone constantly?

The Morbid Anatomy Museum in Brooklyn is doing live model exhibition? Nice.

I think "decades ago" is key here. Thanks to the Internet even the most "nameless" models these days can have followers and unwanted attention.

I have a friend who did a bit of modeling during med school - some print and television spots. Don't think it caused any problems, though it definitely came up for her in interviews and many interviewers would google the pics right in front of her. None of them were the least bit risqué and if anything may have helped her stand out in a positive way - we all do look a lot alike on paper, after all!

She matched extremely well.

Ymmv.

Make sure you can handle the work first. Best to assume you can't do both and be pleasantly surprised when you can.

Why is it that because the OP is very interested (and most likely talented) in modeling that there's no way they are competitive for med school? That's some harsh judging... :eyebrow:

Brains over beauty maybe?...

I know someone in NYC (MD school) that is also a model, and he is doing well on both fronts. He does things like the New York Mens Fashion Week.
I however don't know if men's vs women's modeling differ.

Get into a NYC med school and then we can talk. That is the primary if right now. Working limited hours is doable but once you are in med school you will find yourself asking if you want to (I work and sometimes I wish I could study during that time instead. And I basically make my own hours).

Why is it that because the OP is very interested (and most likely talented) in modeling that there's no way they are competitive for med school? That's some harsh judging... :eyebrow:

Brains over beauty maybe?...

Then she can prove me wrong by posting her GPA and MCAT.

All I'm asking for.

NYCOM is out on Long Island, in the 'burbs, as is SUNY SB. TouroNY is in Manhattan.

NYU less competitive? Really? Surely you're thinking of NYMC, which is in Westchester County (north of the City).
LMAO this whole thread is a joke tbh. saying the following from the initial post

"I got scouted and plan to go to med school in New York"

If she doesn't already hold an acceptance this whole thread is a moot point...

It's sad how most of the SDN community is insulting the OP instead of actually answering her question. OP, I think at this point it is your call. If you're confident enough with your stats to get into a NYC med school, shoot for that. I feel that posting your stats has nothing to do with what you're asking in this thread so there's really no reason to post it...

LMAO this whole thread is a joke tbh. saying the following from the initial post

"I got scouted and plan to go to med school in New York"

If she doesn't already hold an acceptance this whole thread is a moot point...

As my grandmother is fond of saying, "If 'if' were a skiff we'd all go for a boat ride."

However, I did read the original post as a hypothetical. I posted a semi-related questions about whether or not I could realistically work per diem from time to time while in medical school. If I were to get in.
I like to plan for every conceivable possibility, personally. It gives me a false, but comforting sense of control over the unknown of the future.

It sounds like modeling is your passion and med school is your "Aha I need to make money one day" safety net career choice.

Kinda like those BFA majors in college who realized later on in life they don't want to be waitressing in Los Angeles (or NYC) forever waiting for someone to discover them so they decide to go to law school. Or these days, med school.

To which I say, follow your bliss. If modeling is it, give it a go. Med school will always be there. But if you try both, one will suffer.

Who knows, you could be discovered and catapult into the big leagues, in which case, would you sacrifice med school?

Is med school really your life's calling?

Realistically if you're of the age to go to med school, you are too old to have any significant work as a runway model. Somebody may be selling you a bunch of crap, as often happens in the business. You may be asked to pay for your own portfolio and all sort of other expenses and get nothing out of it.

The runway model business requires a certain look and that look is almost like an alien. Unless you meet some very strict physical criteria, it's unlikely you will be doing much fashion runway modeling in Nyc. And even if you did, the lifestyle would extremely incompatible with medical studies.

It's an extremely messed up industry and my advice would be to avoid it altogether.