This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Who knows, you could be discovered and catapult into the big leagues, in which case, would you sacrifice med school?

Is med school really your life's calling?

Yep, you can't just go to Europe for 2 weeks during med school for shows then Asia the next month. But it doesn't really matter because the vast majority of models are "discovered" in their mid teens, not their mid 20s. Mid 20s is retirement age in the business.

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming you were scouted because you're good looking (not like a hand model or for "before" pictures) I feel like a well marketed instagram would be a far better hobby. A popular instagram account can get you PAID, and everyone likes to follow the dashing young doctor (guilty).

Realistically if you're of the age to go to med school, you are too old to have any significant work as a runway model. Somebody may be selling you a bunch of crap, as often happens in the business. You may be asked to pay for your own portfolio and all sort of other expenses and get nothing out of it.

The runway model business requires a certain look and that look is almost like an alien. Unless you meet some very strict physical criteria, it's unlikely you will be doing much fashion runway modeling in Nyc. And even if you did, the lifestyle would extremely incompatible with medical studies.

It's an extremely messed up industry and my advice would be to avoid it altogether.

Daniela Lopez is an angel and I won't have my future wife insulted in this manner! :rage::punch::rage:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yet at the same time I would be extremely judgmental of anyone who voluntarily puts on one of those outfits ;)

Edit: I see maybe one that would be okay in real life.
lol have you seen kanye's clothes?

I know someone who did this and it did cause her problems later on during residency at Seattle Grace Hospital. One of her patients actually recognized her from the modeling pictures and it made it very awkward. If I remember correctly, her name was Izzie Stevens.

I don't see how this would apply in OP's case. Dr. Yang's not attractive.

BN-KI538_0917PJ_H_20150916182945.jpg

what would be more likely in fashion week... not underwear modeling!

Truth be told, a med student would be able to pull off that completely glazed over/clueless facial expression pretty well.

Reactions: 7 users
I didn't read all these replies but to the OP: a girl in my medical class has modeled throughout first and second years. I think she mostly does it on breaks and long weekends. I also think she did it more so first year than second year. This is for catalogue/online shopping sites I think more so than runway, but I don't really know--it's not something I've heard her talk about a lot, I just see the pics on her social media occasionally.

Hi I was just wondering is it possible to model on the side while you are in med school? I would obviously spend most of my time studying but for some free time I want to model, maybe walk in some shows. I got scouted and plan to go to med school in New York. Is it a waste of time or is it okay to? It would be more of a hobby rather than a job.

Thank You!
First mistake: the assumption that you have free time of any significance in med school.

Do whatever makes you happy with your spare time. Don't listen to the everyone else. Balance is key through medical school. You'll have time to do things other than sit in a coffee shop and study.