Molecular Biology or Genetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uugirl77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok so I was sondering if molecular biology and genetics are similar?? Because don't they both deal with DNA and heridatry?? Or are they different? which one is better to take because i need to take the MCAT but Genetics is offered in the spring and I need to take the MCAT in the fall. So i was thinking of taking molecular.

Members don't see this ad.

I took molecular and it covered WAY more bio topics on the MCAT besides just genetics, so i would advocate Molec. bio... Alot of ppl will tell you to take genetics though. I still don't see why when Molec bio covers so much more.

Genetics is going to be more focused on the mechanisms of DNA->mRNA and things that go on within that process and the preparation of mRNA for protein synthesis, and probably a wide variety of topics in that area like epigenetics and RNAi, my course in Genetics also had a pretty big portion on genetic techniques, recombinant DNA, southern blots, PCR and the like. Molecular Bio is more mRNA->protein and what goes on there and how that works, and Cell Bio, which is what I found most useful for the MCAT was protein->effect on the cell, which I thought was really cool.

I would take Molecular Bio as I am sure it would help, there is no need to postpone your MCAT just so you can take genetics though that is for sure.

Molecular biology and Genetics are NOT the same thing. While they can be similar, Genetics is focused more on the study of inheritance. It is diverged into two subtopics--molecular genetics and classical genetics. Molecular genetics deal with Genetics at the DNA or Molecular level. You will study the process of transcription and translation as it pertains to inheritance, DNA replication and control of gene expression. It may also discuss mutations that arise as a result of damages, mistakes etc. The other road of genetics is classical genetics which deals with mostly Mendelian inheritance, studying how genes are inherited (from parent to offspring). This is where you learn about dominant/recessive genes, crossing and punnet squares, pedigree analysis of disease, and so on. At my college, an introductory upper division genetics course integrated both molecular genetics as well as classical genetics (also known as Mendelian genetics).

Molecular biology is very similar to Molecular genetics and sometimes can be used interchangeably. If you take a course in Molecular biology you will almost certainly not cover the topic of classical genetics (or Mendelian genetics).

IMO, I would suggest that you take Genetics as prepares you better for medical school.

Also be advices that taking upper division biology to prepare for the MCAT is not the best decision.
hope that helps:)

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean taking an upper divison biology will not help me on the MCAT?

Molecular biology and Genetics are NOT the same thing. While they can be similar, Genetics is focused more on the study of inheritance. It is diverged into two subtopics--molecular genetics and classical genetics. Molecular genetics deal with Genetics at the DNA or Molecular level. You will study the process of transcription and translation as it pertains to inheritance, DNA replication and control of gene expression. It may also discuss mutations that arise as a result of damages, mistakes etc. The other road of genetics is classical genetics which deals with mostly Mendelian inheritance, studying how genes are inherited (from parent to offspring). This is where you learn about dominant/recessive genes, crossing and punnet squares, pedigree analysis of disease, and so on. At my college, an introductory upper division genetics course integrated both molecular genetics as well as classical genetics (also known as Mendelian genetics).

Molecular biology is very similar to Molecular genetics and sometimes can be used interchangeably. If you take a course in Molecular biology you will almost certainly not cover the topic of classical genetics (or Mendelian genetics).

IMO, I would suggest that you take Genetics as prepares you better for medical school.

Also be advices that taking upper division biology to prepare for the MCAT is not the best decision.
hope that helps:)

I did not say it will not help you. I said that it is cautioned against( by many of the test prep companies such as ExamKrackers). The reason is that the MCAT does not test on upper division Genetics or Molecular Biology. Some even think that it will hurt you because you will tend to over think things.

ok so I was sondering if molecular biology and genetics are similar?? Because don't they both deal with DNA and heridatry?? Or are they different? which one is better to take because i need to take the MCAT but Genetics is offered in the spring and I need to take the MCAT in the fall. So i was thinking of taking molecular.

I dont know about genetics but molecular cell bio is a very fun class and covered many intro biology topics

ok cool thanks guys! So basically if I took the general bio classes and then microbiology I would basically be set?

You just need the intro pre-req classes for the MCAT. I personally found microbio to be useless of the MCAT.

Bio classes that I felt helped me: physio and CMB. Biochem was useful too.

I didn't take genetics in undergrad, but CMB covers most of what genetics would be on the MCAT. No friggin way the MCAT goes into epigenetics and all the crazy exceptions to rules. Maybe you'll have something in a passage, but then it'll be in the passage.