Molecular Genetics or Developmental Bio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedmijo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Biology and English double major so I have to make some decisions. I am registered for molecular genetics, but an thinking about dropping it to take a modern drama class. During my school's intersession would then be able to take developmental bio. If however I take the molecular genetics course I would then have to take some lit. course during intersession. I think the developmental class would be more interesting and I want to take the drama class. Is one bio class going to be better than the other, say for MCATs? I also feel I can do very well if I take developmental in during the intersession, when it would be my only class. I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm a bit biased cause i'm a CEll and Developmental Bio major - i would definately take the Devo class. most people think its some sort of embryology class - but if taught well it traverses the content of biochem/molec bio/signal transfuction/genetics and also gives you wholistic appreciation of a process. i've taken molec genetics as well, and wholeheartedly think that devo sharpened my critical thinking skills immensely as well gave me wide exposure to advanced topics in neurosci/immunology etc... things that i wouldn't have gotten otherwise with my curric. i'm also a history major- and was fascinated by the history of the subject, so old but has exploded on the molecular level in the past 20 years. the thinking of the great devo researchers is elegant and awe-inspiring if you really get it. again - i think its a perfect class for the mcats and biology understanding in general. haha - i obviously enjoyed it. make sure its a good prof - we used Scott Gilbert's Developmental Bio text. goodluck!
-jot