Moonlight salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ischemia

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

To those who have done some moonlighting, what is the salary ballpark and what did it entail? If you'd prefer private messages, please do PM me.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry if this is a stupid q but can derm residents do moonlighting (like at an urgent care place)? or is it moonlighting at a hospital (for derm or IM? confused)? i wonder why i haven't heard of any derm residents doing this...

Sorry if this is a stupid q but can derm residents do moonlighting (like at an urgent care place)? or is it moonlighting at a hospital (for derm or IM? confused)? i wonder why i haven't heard of any derm residents doing this...

Most MD derm residents I know did not moonlight. Many of the DO derm residents I know had to moonlight to supplement their income. If you're lucky, it's a derm gig. If not, many have prior IM experience and would do IM or work at urgent care. At my program, they made the ability to moonlight so difficult that most residents chose to forego it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I moonlight at an urgent care. I just started a couple of months ago. You just need to have a medical license (which can be obtained after Step 3) and malpractice insurance (with tail). I do this without my derm programs knowledge since they do not like moonlighting (even though they had it at the VA in the past) and in another state. It pays well $100/hour and covers my malpractice. It shoots up to $200+/hr for certain holidays. I obtained it through a friend and would not have known about the job w/o her help.

I know of only one program that has in-house moonlighting. It pays ~$800 for a day of derm clinic on the weekend. Nice gig!

I graduate this month from medical school so I have a few months between now and when I will start residency. I will have my MD and plan to take take step 3 soon. Can I get my license and work at an urgent care before I start residency in July?

I graduate this month from medical school so I have a few months between now and when I will start residency. I will have my MD and plan to take take step 3 soon. Can I get my license and work at an urgent care before I start residency in July?
I think all states require at least 1 year of postgraduate training before getting a full medical license: http://www.fsmb.org/policy/public-resources/state_specific

One of the programs I interviewed at had a weekend site for derm moonlight which was still supervised so you were essentially a 6-day derm resident. Can't remember the pay but it was good ($600-800/day). From the residents, moonlighting was "privilege" and not a "right", and the PD could take it away if you did poorly on mock boards.

Have any of you derm residents considered providing private cosmetic services after obtaining your full license? If not, why not exactly, particularly after your PGY2 or 3 years?

I've met some DO residents who this. The biggest barriers involve getting liability coverage, getting your hands on product at a price where you can still turn a profit, and finding patients who are willing to let a non-board-certified resident charge them for this procedure.

Different options out there. Urgent care is available most places.

I used to do state disability exams which paid anywhere from 1-3000 a day but you had to deal with the population that applies for state disability.

Some programs allow you to work as a derm in private practice. Think you get Derm PA/NP numbers but that's obviously variable by contract.

Our program has opened up VA Saturday clinics so we become six day residents. Pay for Saturday is 600 before the government gets their share.

I know in Missouri, they are allowing recent medical grads to work in rural areas as "assistant physicians" but that is the only one in the union right now.