Moonlighting During Residency (like Bruce Willis)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RX86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hopefully somebody gets that reference. Anyways, does anyone plan to moonlight or did you during your residency tenure?

I was considering how nice an extra 4 hour shift a week would look x 50 weeks in my future finances/student loans/etc. It would be at the hospital I currently work at, a few miles from where my residency will be and on my way home. Thoughts? Experiences? Doin' too much?

Members don't see this ad.

I worked at Wags for 16 hours every other weekend (or was it every 3rd? can't remember). It was the only way I could afford to pay on my private loans which I could not defer.

Some residency sites allow dual-titles, allowing you to pick up hours at staff pharmacist pay. I know somes of the VAs have this.

Members don't see this ad :)
My program has us working every other weekend, so I have a feeling I will want to hold onto those 2 days every 14 throughout the year.

16 hours! Nice. That must have hurt.

Hopefully somebody gets that reference. Anyways, does anyone plan to moonlight or did you during your residency tenure?

I was considering how nice an extra 4 hour shift a week would look x 50 weeks in my future finances/student loans/etc. It would be at the hospital I currently work at, a few miles from where my residency will be and on my way home. Thoughts? Experiences? Doin' too much?

Until ASHP comes up with their own ACGME-esq duty hours policy, programs have to follow the 2007 ACGME rules. Under this rule you have to count internal moonlighting in the 80 hr/week average calculation (external moonlighting does not count).

ASHP is anticipating releasing their own rules in 2013 which I would anticipate increasing the moonlighting restrictions to more closely mimic the 2011 ACGME rules.