About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moonlighting in MFM or REI fellowship

Discussion in 'Ob/Gyn' started by elonk, Jun 28, 2012.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. elonk

elonk Junior Member

Resident [Any Field]

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    For all those of you in, recently graduated from or attendings at MFM or REI fellowships:
    1) Is moonlighting allowed at your institution?
    2) Practically, do people have the time/energy to moonlight during fellowship?
    --If yes, is it only during research years or throughout?
    3) If base salary is $60K/yr is it realistic to make $100K/yr?

Im not trying to make it rich in fellowship. I am a PGY3 with family of 6 to support. 4 years at <$60K with student loans compounding interest in the interim. :eek: I would need to be able to make some extra money in fellowship to even consider it so I would appreciate any real-life input. :xf:

Thanks in advance for your comments in the forum or via personal message
  2. IVD4

IVD4

Fellow [Any Field]
    I am a PGY5 in my first year of MFM fellowship. Salary here is ~60K and we are allowed to moonlight, but only within our own health system. Although this does offer built in extra income, the pay is significantly less than the standard locum pay. Realistically I can expect to increase my yearly income by ~25% . My program director does allow moonlighting regardless of the rotation as long as it does not interfere with the fellowships requirements or my own education. Realistically, if the moonlighting pay were closer to the currently accepted rates I would potentially make 40-55% more than my base salary.
    Hope this helps.