moonlighting opportunity gold mines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Madden007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What states/locations, besides ny and cali, would you consider to be moonlighting gold mines? Where a young psychiatrist, willing to hustle and put the hours in, can do very well?

Members don't see this ad.

This is an interesting question. My guess is anywhere 3+ hours outside of a major city or any city with population of 300K people or less would be a 'goldmine'. I say this because psychiatrists accumulate in bigger cities and the competition drives wages down. Smaller places are in dire need of psychiatrists and will pay better. I think what you're looking for to optimize income is an employed position in a hospital paying on RVU production. I doubt a bigger city would offer this because they don't need to. They can hire a psychiatrist on salary for $200K.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I've seen some offers about 2 hours outside of the major metro with some serious cash. Rural places need people, and they'll often pay well for them.

If you are willing to drive, there are usually several smaller hospitals with inpatient units within 1-2 hours of most cities that have weekend coverage (sometimes phone call only) that pay quite well. It's worth doing a map search around areas you are looking to live and reaching out directly to the medical directors of those units to ask about moonlighting/weekend or evening call coverage. If you put in some leg work on researching the surrounding areas and making phone calls, I'm sure you can find such opportunities almost anywhere in the country besides maybe some of the really saturated areas.

Have been looking for weekend moonlighting opportunities in Northern Florida to avail. Anyone with any info?

I have also been looking for weekend opportunities. I have talked with locum tenens and a couple other companies, who so far have been worthless. I hear there are plenty of telepsych opportunities but I can't find them anywhere.

I have also been looking for weekend opportunities. I have talked with locum tenens and a couple other companies, who so far have been worthless. I hear there are plenty of telepsych opportunities but I can't find them anywhere.
Get with me later on, I've got a few ideas.

DFW is pretty good.

image.png

Reactions: 1 user
I have a great opportunity making 200+ per hour as a subutex prescriber if anyone is interested. Can be done on the weekend.