Moonlighting ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hysty

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...
Can we moonlight during J1-waiver. If yes any idea what is the process and how long does it usually takes after starting waiver that we can moonlight?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys...
Can we moonlight during J1-waiver. If yes any idea what is the process and how long does it usually takes after starting waiver that we can moonlight?
Thanks

As long as you are here on a J-1, you cannot moonlight.

From ECFMG:

Am I allowed to work or train outside my training program?
The primary objective of each ECFMG-sponsored Exchange Visitor is to receive graduate medical training in the United States which will ultimately enhance his/her skills in a specialty field of medicine. Visa sponsorship, which is documented by Form DS-2019 (Certificate of Eligibility for J-1 Exchange Visitor Status) and issued by ECFMG, authorizes a specific training activity and associated financial compensation. Federal regulations do not permit activity and/or financial compensation outside of the defined parameters of the training program. Therefore, employment outside of approved residency or fellowship training (or “moonlighting”) is not permitted. Detailed information on this subject is available at www.ecfmg.org/evsp/evspemot.pdf.

You can find a thread dedicated to this issue in the ERAS/NRMP forum about half-way down the page.

I was asking about J-1 waiver when you are on H1b visa. Can we moonlight while we are doing our J-1 waiver for 3-4 years?

I was asking about J-1 waiver when you are on H1b visa. Can we moonlight while we are doing our J-1 waiver for 3-4 years?

Please see this thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=450230 which states that if you are employed on a J-1 visa you cannot moonlight. The situation you describe, being on an H-1B but accepting a J-1 waiver job is an unusual one, best to ask the state department.