More classes or no??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RN MD 2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
g

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just make sure you finish the other pre-reqs (psychology, sociology, etc) and if then take an upper level science course and see how you fare. For some of the more competitive programs, there may be an expectance of taking upper level courses and performing well to show sustained competence. It may not be necessary if your other ECs and stats are up to snuff - though taking an extra course or two won't hurt you (provided it won't hurt your wallet too much)

Just make sure you finish the other pre-reqs (psychology, sociology, etc) and if then take an upper level science course and see how you fare. For some of the more competitive programs, there may be an expectance of taking upper level courses and performing well to show sustained competence. It may not be necessary if your other ECs and stats are up to snuff - though taking an extra course or two won't hurt you (provided it won't hurt your wallet too much)

Yes, the wallet was somewhat of a concern here....if it needs to happen I can swing it, but would prefer not to. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any upper-level science class is good, it doesn't always have to be biology classes. Bio-chem, genetics, cell-bio are all good classes. Are you only looking into MD schools?

Any upper-level science class is good, it doesn't always have to be biology classes. Bio-chem, genetics, cell-bio are all good classes. Are you only looking into MD schools?
I only applied MD, but kept my list fairly broad.

I'd recommend taking more upper level science classes. Learning more is never a bad thing, and it helps you build your knowledge base before med school. I took a year of A&P during my gap year, and I feel WAY more prepared for first year because of it, and I was able to send updates to schools when my grades were submitted and my gpa bumped up a bit. It can also be a topic of conversation for any interviews!