More Clinical Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paradyme

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to re-apply for this cycle and need to figure out where to improve, any advice would be great...

3.65GPA, 32M mcat (8VR), 2+years research w/ publication, 100 hours clinical experience(volunteer ER, ICU, and shadowing), other minor extracurriculars.

I am going to retake the mcat because I am sure I could bring up the VR and probably get in the 33-35ish range.

Right now I am working full time in my lab and the big questions is if I should sacrifice even more time toward gaining more clinical experience?

I know that I don't have a ton, but is this proficient? It would be really hard to fit more in my schedule now with a full time job and an upcoming MCAT.

Suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Did you speak to any schools? Did they specifically say you needed to work on getting more clinical experience? Your ECs look fine.

Also, is English your second language? Maybe your VR score is what is holding you back. Your GPA and MCAT are good except that VR. Try to bring it up to a 10.

I don't think you need more clinical experience, UNLESS you feel that you need more. If your motivations for pursuing a career in medicine can be sufficiently formulated in writing (for PS) and in spoken terms (for interviews), you're fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you need more clinical experience, UNLESS you feel that you need more. If your motivations for pursuing a career in medicine can be sufficiently formulated in writing (for PS) and in spoken terms (for interviews), you're fine.

I agree.

that's how I feel about it. I have gained a lot from my clinical experiences, plenty enough to validate my desire for this career path. I feel that by taking more would only be a way to inflate my application, and that I would gain little out of it. But I will do whatever it takes to get more attention this cycle.

I'm also wondering if there could be something 'off' in my committee letter, I have never bonded well with my advisor and am worried I left a mediocre impression on her.

You seem to have good stats....did you apply early and broadly?

You seem to have good stats....did you apply early and broadly?

Early- mid june, Broadly- errr 7 schools, all within my reach though

Result- 1 interview/rejection at my state school (which is what I was banking on)

yes, you need more volunteer experience. 100 hours in the ER is not usually enough to prove that you want to be a physician. Go out there and mentor/tutor kids, help the homeless, show that you have a caring personality. Med schools seem to be suckers for this kind of stuff.

shadowing for a couple months would be good too.

and yes, you should apply with at least a 9 in verbal to be sort of competitive. (nice gpa btw :thumbup:)