More Fashion Disscussion--Shirt/Tie combo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wahina

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Navy suit. Is white shirt mandatory? What about an oxford blue color? Is the red "power" tie too cliche by now? It seems like everyone has one.

Members don't see this ad.

Wahina said:
Navy suit. Is white shirt mandatory? What about an oxford blue color? Is the red "power" tie too cliche by now? It seems like everyone has one.

Hmmm...IMO I think a white shirt would look better with the navy suit, especially if you're wearing a red tie.

if you wear an oxford blue shirt with a navy suit, baby jesus will cry.

the red power tie is alright with a white shirt, but i wouldn't wear a red tie with a navy suit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are black suits bad?

Mister Pie said:
Are black suits bad?

I think guys look good in black suits! Maybe you should wear a tie that stands out with it though so it's not too 'blah'.

i always vote for a navy suit, if u have one, over black -- looks too funeralish. def a red tie w/navy suit! power color all the way. what color hair/skin do u have?

I'm actually not applying this year but I'm just curious. :)

I hope black is okay because that's the only suit I have! I'm asian so my hair is black and my skin is somewhat more tan than the average caucasian. :) I have heard similar comments about the funeral-ish nature of black suits though...

People at funerals do wear black suits. You know who else wears black suits? Presidents.

Look like a president. Go with the black suit.

Black suit with a blue shirt always looks good.

I also love guys that can actually pull off a light pink shirt in a black suit...

hey, i'm asian too, same black hair and slightly tanned skin. i also only have one suit which happens to be black, and it seemed fine. i saw an equal amount of black, gray, and navy suits. but for the light blue shirt/red tie combo, i think black would look the best with it. i sported the same look to one of my interviews last year. :cool:

Mister Pie said:
I'm actually not applying this year but I'm just curious. :)

I hope black is okay because that's the only suit I have! I'm asian so my hair is black and my skin is somewhat more tan than the average caucasian. :) I have heard similar comments about the funeral-ish nature of black suits though...

I'm a fan of very dark brown (like, almost black, but not quite) on asian men. I think the color looks very sharp without looking like you're headed to a funeral.

That said, black suits really are fine. No way should you go out and buy a new suit just for interviews if you've already got one! So long as you don't do the black suit/white shirt/red power tie that at least 50% of applicants wear, you'll look just fine. I mean, seriously, it's good to dress professionally, but it's like they're afraid to show any individuality at all!

I wouldn't worry about the black suits. I can only think of a few guys at all of my interviews that didn't wear black. Nobody is going to think less of you for wearing black and the thought that they looked like they were going to a funeral never crossed my mind.

What for those of us who are "melanin-ally disadvantaged"? (read as: "f--kin' pasty").

I have a gray suit (which makes me look like an overeager blood donor on bad days) or a tan suit (which I look far better in, and it's what I wear for most funerals at work). I can't wear black or navy because of my complexion, and even dark gray like my current backup suit is a toss-up.

I'm also not applying this year, but still would like to get all the picky details straightened out beforehand rather than freak out at the last second like some members of this board are known to do from time to time.

Praetorian said:
What for those of us who are "melanin-ally disadvantaged"? (read as: "f--kin' pasty").

I have a gray suit (which makes me look like an overeager blood donor on bad days) or a tan suit (which I look far better in, and it's what I wear for most funerals at work). I can't wear black or navy because of my complexion, and even dark gray like my current backup suit is a toss-up.

I'm also not applying this year, but still would like to get all the picky details straightened out beforehand rather than freak out at the last second like some members of this board are known to do from time to time.

You could always get a spray on tan before you go! Nothing goes better with a tan suit than a bronze glow... :laugh: j/k

shantster said:

I also love guys that can actually pull off a light pink shirt in a black suit...
Its the guys who pull of the pink suit and black shirt at their interviews who are really the ****. :D

I'm allergic to the stuff in the spray on tanner. And we all know nothing says "ADMIT ME TO YOUR MEDICAL SCHOOL!" like a bad case of hives and petechiae from scratching. :laugh: :smuggrin:

kinda off topic, but I saw a guy at a interview wearing a french cuff shirt with cuff links!! I have no idea what he was thinking.

Praetorian said:

Are you a redhead? IF so, you need something with a golden undertone. Some grays have a yellow undertone and likewise some olive greens. A very muted plaid can look great if it has the right blend of colors. Put on a shirt and tie and go try on a bunch of jackets to see what color is going to suit you well.

Nope, no red hair here, I have blond hair and blue eyes. Any suggestions for that?

evade said:
I'm a fan of very dark brown (like, almost black, but not quite) on asian men. I think the color looks very sharp without looking like you're headed to a funeral.

That said, black suits really are fine. No way should you go out and buy a new suit just for interviews if you've already got one! So long as you don't do the black suit/white shirt/red power tie that at least 50% of applicants wear, you'll look just fine. I mean, seriously, it's good to dress professionally, but it's like they're afraid to show any individuality at all!

Cool suggestion. I might have to try it out! :)

shantster said:

i can pull it off :D ... whats a good tie with a light pink shirt in black??? i have a a really nice black and pink striped tie but would that be too much pink and black?? or would that look nice?? what about a dark silky vibrant blue shirt with black suit with a vibrant blue tie? more fashionable than professional but looks sooo good on me...if im a bit fashionable will that be lookded down upon even if i can pull it off? :)