More important: Orgo II or genetics for mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor_Strange

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Like the title says, in the spring I will be taking Biochemistry from the Bio department, and I am debating between Orgo II (I got a B in Orgo 1) and Genetics. I am a bio major, but admittedly I dont' feel supremely confident regarding my orgo memory, but I hear orgo now is only 5% so I do not know what to do. Most medical schools still require orgo 2, so i am thinking since i need to take it before medical school, i might as well take it before taking the mcat? i have met the other prereqs as well. I would not take the lab with biochemistry as i do not need it, but would take the lab with orgo 2

ANY ADVICE/SUGGESTIONS IS APPRECIATED!

Members don't see this ad.

It's not even close, molecular genetics is of a higher yield on the new MCAT than the topics you will see in Orgo 2. You'll need to take Orgo II anyway for medical school but if you have the chance, Biochem will be of much more use to your MCAT than Orgo 2. Howver, many schools will not allow one to take Biochem without a year of Orgo.

Long story short, you can learn the little Orgo II you need for the MCAT on your own much more easily than mastering the molec genetics that shows up on the new MCAT. Pick genetics.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone. Actually, a new update is that Biochemistry will not be offerred this spring at my school, but instead Biochemistry II. I don't know what to do. Would taking Molecular Cell and Biochemistry be a course to take for the MCAT, or do I need to take a strictly "Biochemistry" course. I am really bummed because they made this change, and I was not at the school this past fall to be aware that Biochemistry has been reorganized...

Members don't see this ad :)
Genetics - it is very high yield in the biological/biochemical foundations section. Molecular genetics (critically important), genetics of populations, genetic mutations, etc.

That said, you cannot ignore Orgo II. You have to understand/recognize common reaction types taught in Orgo II (e.g. different flavors of condensation reactions, nitrogenous reactions [like imines], ketones/aldehydes, acetals/hemiacetals, mass/nuclear spectroscopy). If you skip those, you will pay a significant price in the chemical and physical foundations section. It also forms the basis for biochemical reactions that are used throughout biochemistry, so you need to understand what drives those reactions to really understand the big picture of biochemistry. But if you have to choose one for taking a class, take genetics. You can self-study the various areas of Orgo II, based upon the AAMC suggested curriculum. Genetics is much harder to self-study.

With regards to your question on Molecular Cell and Biochemistry, it is impossible to say without looking at the curriculum, and what it encompasses. Molecular genetics is only one of the biochemistry "Big Three" (proteins/enzymes, metabolism, and molecular biology of information transfer). You'd need to be *very* careful to make sure you cover things like amino acids, enzyme kinetics, metabolic cycles and biochemistry, etc. I'd compare the class curriculum against the summary of MCAT topics the AAMC makes available, and make sure you fill in gaps. Also, if the class focuses on the cellular level, it may miss larger-scale aspects such as the interface between biochemical reactions and organ systems/physiology.

Reactions: 1 user
Genetics - it is very high yield in the biological/biochemical foundations section. Molecular genetics (critically important), genetics of populations, genetic mutations, etc.

That said, you cannot ignore Orgo II. You have to understand/recognize common reaction types taught in Orgo II (e.g. different flavors of condensation reactions, nitrogenous reactions [like imines], ketones/aldehydes, acetals/hemiacetals, mass/nuclear spectroscopy). If you skip those, you will pay a significant price in the chemical and physical foundations section. It also forms the basis for biochemical reactions that are used throughout biochemistry, so you need to understand what drives those reactions to really understand the big picture of biochemistry. But if you have to choose one for taking a class, take genetics. You can self-study the various areas of Orgo II, based upon the AAMC suggested curriculum. Genetics is much harder to self-study.

With regards to your question on Molecular Cell and Biochemistry, it is impossible to say without looking at the curriculum, and what it encompasses. Molecular genetics is only one of the biochemistry "Big Three" (proteins/enzymes, metabolism, and molecular biology of information transfer). You'd need to be *very* careful to make sure you cover things like amino acids, enzyme kinetics, metabolic cycles and biochemistry, etc. I'd compare the class curriculum against the summary of MCAT topics the AAMC makes available, and make sure you fill in gaps. Also, if the class focuses on the cellular level, it may miss larger-scale aspects such as the interface between biochemical reactions and organ systems/physiology.

Thanks for the reply. I got some more info that essentially is the Mol Cell and Biochem class is taught by the pre-med advisor who tailors it to the MCAT. As for Orgo 2, I took an Organic chemistry class that was revamped into a hybrid of 1 and 2, i.e. my professor said all you need to know for MCAT was covered in that class. The reactions you mentioned, most of them are familiar to me and I kept all my notes. I hope the Kaplan prep course I am in will benefit me in the orgo 2/biochemistry realm. I just need at least a 50th percentile for DO schools!

Eh - much of NMR/IR is taught in orgo I

Orgo II - Strecker and Gabriel synthesis - both easily learned on Khan; DRAW them until you KNOW them; then apply them to anything odd thrown at you on MCAT

Genetics - learn the biochem behind it (lol - DRAW); also, if you should get a random pedigree analysis on the exam, you'll know it cold and all the implications of it; including: deletions, inversion, missense mutations, frame shift mutations, and genetic defects like the trisomies and others.

PLUS ... it'll be really helpful when you get to med school.

Orgo II??? I've not talked to one doctor who said, "Yeah, I use that orgo I or II stuff all the time" they generally say biochem + genetics :)

Thanks for the reply. I got some more info that essentially is the Mol Cell and Biochem class is taught by the pre-med advisor who tailors it to the MCAT. As for Orgo 2, I took an Organic chemistry class that was revamped into a hybrid of 1 and 2, i.e. my professor said all you need to know for MCAT was covered in that class. The reactions you mentioned, most of them are familiar to me and I kept all my notes. I hope the Kaplan prep course I am in will benefit me in the orgo 2/biochemistry realm. I just need at least a 50th percentile for DO schools!
@Doctor Strange which of you is the real Doctor Strange and which is the imposter?