More pharmacy schools!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDude559

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.pharmacytimes.com/careers-news/Pharmacy-School-Opening-Decision-Anticipated-in-May

http://www.pharmacytimes.com/careers-news/Stony-Brook-University-Looks-to-Add-Pharmacy-School

"Citing an American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy forecast, the school noted a potential shortage of 157,000 pharmacists nationwide by 2020, as well as a particular demand for pharmacists in Wisconsin."

I wonder how long it will take for pharmacy schools to stop citing that 10 year old study....

Members don't see this ad.

Things are changing. More schools does not necessarily mean more pharmacists.

The number of applicants has been dropping. As this number continues to drop, it doesn't matter how many schools open. They are not going to be able to fill all of their seats. Some may even have to reduce their class size and make the necessary cuts just to remain profitable.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Things are changing. More schools does not necessarily mean more pharmacists.

The number of applicants has been dropping. As this number continues to drop, it doesn't matter how many schools open. They are not going to be able to fill all of their seats. Some may even have to reduce their class size and make the necessary cuts just to remain profitable.
Wouldn't they just take less qualified applicants rather than reducing class size? I cant imagine a situation where a school doesn't get enough applications to fill their seats or schools leaving money on the table by rejecting traditionally less qualified students simply out of principle.

Wouldn't they just take less qualified applicants rather than reducing class size? I cant imagine a situation where a school doesn't get enough applications to fill their seats or schools leaving money on the table by rejecting traditionally less qualified students simply out of principle.

That is exactly what is happening for the last 4 years. You just need a 2.6 GPA to get accepted nowadays. However the number of new pharmacy schools keep on opening while the number of applicants keeps on dropping. From my analysis from available data, right now the number of applicants = number of available seats. So pretty much anyone who applied would get accepted somewhere.

If the number of applicants continues to drop, pharmacy schools will have a harder and harder time filling their class size. I don't see pharmacy schools closing any time soon tho. They are still very profitable. If they start to drop tuition then that is a real sign they are struggling to fill their class.

its kinda scary that all these less qualified people are becoming pharmacists who will dispense dangerous medications to the public...scary thought

Reactions: 1 user
Some law schools have already cut tuition to fill their seats. None of them have closed yet though, despite that many graduates can only land minimum wage retail jobs.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/law-schools-boost-enrollment-after-price-cuts-1409671882

I truly feel bad for law and us pharmacy students, that have no idea what's to hit them down the line. But at least they know how to negotiate and bargain, hopefully. With us pharmacy students, we might know a fancy vocabulary word related to diabetes treatment which makes us look pretty cool to a stranger, but in the end we will always be stepped on and be dispensable employees IF we get a job after graduation.

I hope pharmacists have a better representative like the AMA who can protect the profession!

Last edited by a moderator:
i wish things were changing! at my school, students who have finished 2 years of bachelor's are allowed to enter PharmD program with as little as 26th percentile on the PCAT!
no law schools have been closing so i don't expect pharm schools to close any time soon, either. I wish pharmacists had a better representative like the AMA who can protect the profession!
26 PCAT. That's rediculous.

This is what I mean when I say some schools will not be able to fill their class size. Here is an example: Sullivan University.

http://schoolpages.pharmcas.org/publishedsurvey/2035

This for-profit school accepted 85 students and their class size is also 85 students. I am sure some, perhaps even many, accepted students will decline their acceptance.

This is what I mean when I say some schools will not be able to fill their class size. Here is an example: Sullivan University.

http://schoolpages.pharmcas.org/publishedsurvey/2035

This for-profit school accepted 85 students and their class size is also 85 students. I am sure some, perhaps even many, accepted students will decline their acceptance.

Where on this website does it say 85 students accepted and the 85 class size? I even Control + F "85" and I still could not find these figures.

What's worse are schools like Uof Arizona which have a decent name and are now contributing to the problem. They decided to expand their class size to 120+, great.

This last class: 197 applied and 120 accepted. Dumbfounded.

I truly feel bad for law and us pharmacy students, that have no idea what's to hit them down the line. But at least they know how to negotiate and bargain, hopefully. With us pharmacy students, we might know a fancy vocabulary word related to diabetes treatment which makes us look pretty cool to a stranger, but in the end we will always be stepped on and be dispensable employees IF we get a job after graduation.
Pharmacy has not gotten to that point yet, but it is certainly heading that way...

Nursing has been there for a few years now ... I feel like NP/PA are heading that way. Medicine is somewhat protected because residency positions have not been increasing that much. However, AAMC is lobbying congress to increase residency quota....

Last edited: