More questions about my path to med school admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NavyEnlisted

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

So I was wondering how much completing a honors program (which requires a foreign language) and learning a valuable language, like Spanish, would impact medical school admissions? I know GPA and MCAT count for a lot of the application, but I want my application to also have to contain valuable ECs since I believe I am weak in this area since I am about to get out of the military. Here is my full background.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/where-do-i-go-from-here.1110692/

I am planning on finishing the program in biology instead of just doing the preqs for medical school anyways and want to make the most of it. Ideas I have tossed around for the academic side of things are: the honors program, increasing my proficiency in Spanish, being a TA, or a lot of research. I know I can not do all of these so which ones would be the best to pursue?

For work experience I plan on working at the hospital or a long term care facility as a part time CNA (20>hours/week). I have looked at EMT or a scribe and figure this job is the best out of the bunch.

For volunteering I plan to approach it on two fronts. First I plan on getting clinical experience from a few sources: A family practice doctor, ER shadowing, and an ortho doc. I have already begun developing that network and making arrangements. Second I plan on doing the type of volunteering that I enjoy the most: community work. I plan on getting involved with a food bank I already financially donate to, working with the churches, and stuff like that. A third option is doing stuff on campus while at school, but I feel I am too old (26) to get back into the game on a college campus.

So this is my plan as of now. Does anyone have any experience or insight, see any gaping holes, or see anyway to better myself? Thank you all once again!

Members don't see this ad.