More rigorous course load?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

senzen

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What semester did you take your most rigorous course load and what did it consist of?

Classes/total units/ how many sciences (labs + non labs)

***I always make typos. I meant "Most rigorous course load?"

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Humblebrag time...

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Random concern: I'm in my junior year and last semester and this semester I took/am taking a total of 4 sciences (3 labs + 1 non lab) and next year mainly because I'm starting to run out of courses to take do you think it will be an issue if I drop down to 3 sciences (2 labs + 1 non lab)? Yes 3 sciences for both semesters senior year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Random concern: I'm in my junior year and last semester and this semester I took/am taking a total of 4 sciences (3 labs + 1 non lab) and next year mainly because I'm starting to run out of courses to take do you think it will be an issue if I drop down to 3 sciences (2 labs + 1 non lab)? Yes 3 sciences for both semesters senior year.

I really don't think anyone will care.

Reactions: 1 user
I really don't think anyone will care.

I just don't want to seem like I'm trying to take an "easier route" to save my GPA instead of challenging myself with more difficult coursework. It's really because I've taken most of the elective courses they offer for my major.

I just don't want to seem like I'm trying to take an "easier route" to save my GPA instead of challenging myself with more difficult coursework. It's really because I've taken most of the elective courses they offer for my major.

You are severely overthinking this.

Reactions: 3 users
You are severely overthinking this.

I was not a serious student freshman/most of sophomore year and my science GPA will only be a mere 3.5ish (it's on the borderline of it) by the time I graduate/apply because I did so bad in pre-reqs. I'm neurotic for a reason haha.

I want to show them I can handle challenging courses and hope my course of action doesn't come off like I'm taking shortcuts/adding "fluff" only.

My most rigorous course load was this past fall bc I wanted my "hard" classes to be after my application was submitted so they wouldn't affect my GPA. Took some quantum and physical chem and couple other classes for 13 credits (don't think I ever took more than 13-14 credits). I didn't expect as many interviews as I got so it was pretty stressful balancing trips with studying and catching up. It all turned out fine tho. I really think there are much better aspects of the app to worry about and that adcom members rarely even look at your classes/course loads. Just stay full-time and get a good GPA.

My most rigorous course load was this past fall bc I wanted my "hard" classes to be after my application was submitted so they wouldn't affect my GPA. Took some quantum and physical chem and couple other classes for 13 credits (don't think I ever took more than 13-14 credits). I didn't expect as many interviews as I got so it was pretty stressful balancing trips with studying and catching up. It all turned out fine tho. I really think there are much better aspects of the app to worry about and that adcom members rarely even look at your classes/course loads. Just stay full-time and get a good GPA.

Congratulations on getting accepted!! And I'm trying to take as many rigorous courses as I can (Genetics, Biochem, Physio, etc.) but sometimes I want to give myself a break and take something a tad bit more relaxing… An astronomy course surely won't be looked at as favorably I would imagine :( (even though it goes toward BCPM GPA).

Congratulations on getting accepted!! And I'm trying to take as many rigorous courses as I can (Genetics, Biochem, Physio, etc.) but sometimes I want to give myself a break and take something a tad bit more relaxing… An astronomy course surely won't be looked at as favorably I would imagine :( (even though it goes toward BCPM GPA).
You're better off taking pottery and getting a 4.0 than a "rigorous" course load and getting a 3.5. Don't take extra classes than required for your major or that are essential to med school pre-req's unless they are what you really want to take.

edit: schools receive thousands of apps they aren't scrolling through each of your classes and frowning at students who chase their interests. Besides, astronomy would be looked at more "favorably" than the same genetics,physio,anatomy that every other applicant takes.

Nobody will care...honestly I don't think I ever took more than two hard sciences in any semester (taking four hard science classes sounds awful lol). But I'm also not a science major. Also it's senior year...don't overthink this.

Also most rigorous course load was 19 hours in junior fall. I think it included biochem, a 4000 philosophy course, upper level psych, physics, an upper level English, physics lab, and research.

Last edited:
The combination of underwater basket weaving and synchronized water ballet was literally suffocating. I regret not spreading those courses out over two semesters.

Try to strike a balance. Spread out your hardest classes over a couple of semesters and maybe take a couple GPA boosters if you're really worried. As people said above, it won't really matter, but taking some more challenging classes (and doing well) will always help you look good.

Last semester(Fall of Sophomore) I took 5 sciences and 3 labs: Mechanics, Modern Physics, Physics III(Thermo, Optics, Fluids, and Waves), Upper lv. O-chem, and Intro Bio, with Physics, O-chem, and Bio lab. Although I did get 4.0. NEVER AGAIN!

What semester did you take your most rigorous course load and what did it consist of?

Classes/total units/ how many sciences (labs + non labs)

***I always make typos. I meant "Most rigorous course load?"

First Semester Sophomore year: Major: Systems Engineering (Why, you ask? I'm asking the same thing even now in grad school haha).

6 Classes, 18 hours, Biochem, Genetics, Applied Engineering Statistics, Design/Manufacturing Processes 1, Mechanics of Materials, Computer Aided Design Lab

Probably should have thought about it before actually doing it. It was the semester from hell. Looking back there was no reason to take so many difficult classes at the same time lolz.

Multiple bio classes are doable…multiple engineering classes are not.

I have no idea how you guys did that! I would go crazy.

Think it depends on what you can handle personally. The most rigorous semester I've taken was Ochem II/Cell Biology/Genetics/ and History (lol).

English was hell at my university.

Also, pledging a fraternity during ochem/bio2/english/calc2 at my university was probably the hardest thing I think I'll ever do in my life. The classes themselves aren't hard, until you haven't been allowed to sleep for three days...