More thoughts on Caribbean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prettywoman0172

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am still flirting with the idea of just applying to and attending a Caribbean medical school in August. As I mentioned before, I am a female in my early 40s with over 400 academic credits calculating out to an AMCAS cGPA/sGPA of ~3.3/3.2. I have gotten mostly Bs/B+ in my prerequisite sciences but did repeat Ochem 1 (D+ for a B+). I am graduating in May with a Biology/Psychology double major and have a nice package of extracurriculars, good letters and a personal statement that I am proud of. I am taking the MCAT on Saturday and I am projecting a score of 23-26. I studied hard for only three weeks.

Depending on MCAT I might be competitive for DO programs, and I would probably be willing to take MCAT 2015 in April/May if I needed to.

Originally I was planning to apply to some SMPs and MPHs for the "gap" year but the costs of applying, possibly relocating, and then paying for the program are significant and Ill probably end up going to the Caribbean at the end of it anyway, albeit with an extra chunk of debt.

I'm also not crazy about the idea of finding a job and wasting a year, either. I guess if I thought I had a realistic expectation of an acceptance at the end of that year, it might not be a bad idea. I could definitely use the savings and the time to get my affairs in order before relocating for medical school. But looking at statistics alone I just dont think I'll get a US acceptance.

I'm having a lot of anxiety about this. I keep thinking the Caribbean should be a last resort and not a first choice. I guess I am trying to rush the process and save time, money and anxiety, too.

I know the general consensus is to stay away from the Caribbean, but it honestly seems like a very viable option for me. I am only interested in Family Medicine and OBGYN and I will go ANYWHERE in the US for a residency.

Thoughts? Input?

Members don't see this ad.

I am still flirting with the idea of just applying to and attending a Caribbean medical school in August. As I mentioned before, I am a female in my early 40s with over 400 academic credits calculating out to an AMCAS cGPA/sGPA of ~3.3/3.2. I have gotten mostly Bs/B+ in my prerequisite sciences but did repeat Ochem 1 (D+ for a B+). I am graduating in May with a Biology/Psychology double major and have a nice package of extracurriculars, good letters and a personal statement that I am proud of. I am taking the MCAT on Saturday and I am projecting a score of 23-26. I studied hard for only three weeks.

Depending on MCAT I might be competitive for DO programs, and I would probably be willing to take MCAT 2015 in April/May if I needed to.

Originally I was planning to apply to some SMPs and MPHs for the "gap" year but the costs of applying, possibly relocating, and then paying for the program are significant and Ill probably end up going to the Caribbean at the end of it anyway, albeit with an extra chunk of debt.

I'm also not crazy about the idea of finding a job and wasting a year, either. I guess if I thought I had a realistic expectation of an acceptance at the end of that year, it might not be a bad idea. I could definitely use the savings and the time to get my affairs in order before relocating for medical school. But looking at statistics alone I just dont think I'll get a US acceptance.

I'm having a lot of anxiety about this. I keep thinking the Caribbean should be a last resort and not a first choice. I guess I am trying to rush the process and save time, money and anxiety, too.

I know the general consensus is to stay away from the Caribbean, but it honestly seems like a very viable option for me. I am only interested in Family Medicine and OBGYN and I will go ANYWHERE in the US for a residency.

Thoughts? Input?
If the thought of wasting a year bothers you, the thought of wasting the rest of your life with a worthless degree and six figures deep in debt that even forgiveness won't save you from, since the IRS bill will be greater than the original amount... Well, that should bother you too.

Reactions: 5 users
Wait for your MCAT results, and if it's the projected mid 20's (hopefully balanced, i.e., 8/8/9) - you should be invited to a few interviews at DO schools if you apply broadly and early. The ship that brought successful IMG/FMG grads to a decent career in the states is long, long gone now. Better to bite the bullet and wait an extra year to make any improvements to your MCAT if it doesn't come out as well as anticipated. Look at the potential 1 year loss and treat it as an investment - you will look back 10 years from now come residency application time and think, "Oh, this idiot PharmDcandidate2014 was right!" ;) Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You are likely less of a risk of failing out, seeing your academic history and knowledge/maturity of what you are getting into. But as mad Jack said, you can't lower your odds of getting the short straw in the residency application. It's a big gamble.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are projecting a 23 on the mcat I probably would cancel it and study some more. Spending a few months bringing that up is higher yield than an offshore school. And fwiw the standardized tests you take once in med school are a lot harder, and competition stiffer, than the mcat so if the best you can do on this one is 23ish, that doesn't bode well.

Reactions: 7 users
My friend was advised by a physician who is mentoring her to go the Carib route. She had a low MCAT score and issues with writing (English is her second language), so she's leaning toward Ross/SABA/SGU rather than waste another year. Apparently this advisor told her she just needs to get high board scores and she'll be fine. "No one will know you went to a Caribbean school when you're practicing medicine," is what this physician told her.

I know SDN says otherwise.

• Okay...
"No one will know you went to a Caribbean school if you're practicing medicine" would be more accurate. The doctor who advised your friend probably went to med school back when the Caribbean was a viable option. Like PharmD said, that ship has sailed, and things will only be worse a few years down the road when the OP is ready to apply for residencies. Look at the match results for yourself. Half the FMGs won't match, and that isn't counting the ones that dropped out or were expelled along the way.

Reactions: 10 users
My friend was advised by a physician who is mentoring her to go the Carib route. She had a low MCAT score and issues with writing (English is her second language), so she's leaning toward Ross/SABA/SGU rather than waste another year. Apparently this advisor told her she just needs to get high board scores and she'll be fine. "No one will know you went to a Caribbean school when you're practicing medicine," is what this physician told her.

I know SDN says otherwise.

People always say they don't want to waste a year making a better application and would rather go to the Caribbean to get it done now. What they don't realize is that many Carib students take longer than 4 years to graduate, many have problems matching especially if they want something other than primary care, and a significant number fail to graduate and are left with huge debts. Many could have not had these headaches if they had just spent an extra year studying for the MCAT and not just trying to speed the process along. The year spent in advance saves years of pain on the other side...

Reactions: 5 users
People always say they don't want to waste a year making a better application and would rather go to the Caribbean to get it done now. What they don't realize is that many Carib students take longer than 4 years to graduate, many have problems matching especially if they want something other than primary care, and a significant number fail to graduate and are left with huge debts. Many could have not had these headaches if they had just spent an extra year studying for the MCAT and not just trying to speed the process along. The year spent in advance saves years of pain on the other side...

To add to this, I know many offshore grads who ended up in "dead end prelims" for a year or two before matching into something categorical. So lots of ways to come out a year or two BEHIND by trying to "save a year". Essentially nobody saves a year. Lots put themselves into holes where they lose a year or two though.

Reactions: 4 users
The match rate for Caribbean grades is around 50%. That's a massive risk to take, because then you'll be stuck with the debt and unemployed. Also, let's be brutally honest here. If you can't do well on the MCAT, what do you think your chances are going to be on STEP 1 & 2? You fit the profile of someone very unlikely to match.

Just say no to Caribbean. Actually, I would probably consider another career entirely if I were you. Perhaps you'd be better suited for PA, for example. The absolutely worst thing that you can do is go to medical school and not match.

If you are projecting a 23 on the mcat I probably would cancel it and study some more.

I second this. Take a final practice test. If it's less than 26-28, cancel your MCAT. Otherwise you're just putting a **** score on your application for no reason. Divine intervention isn't common on test day. You can study over the summer and take a July test.

I am pretty sure my low score on the MCAT has to do with the fact that I underestimated the test and only allowed for 3 weeks of hard study. I honestly thought I would do much better since my diagnostic was a 25. My scores have stayed pretty stagnant even after almost three weeks of content review. I now wish I had done more passages/questions, since that is where I have started to see the most gains. I also panic when the timer is running so I wish I had practiced more under time constraints. I am planning to take the test Saturday regardless and may or may not void it. I will retake the test in April/May.

With regards to "doing somethibg else" or choosing another career - yeahhhhhh...NO. Its not going to happen. I put my life on the line for this. I sold my house and everything I own and went back to school so I could take a shot at becoming a doctor. I have literally given up everything, traded it all - so there is no other option. There is no other choice. There is no other career. If I dont make it into a US school, then I will go to the Caribbean. Because a 50% chance at a residency is better than the 0% chance Id have if I didn't go. As far as the debt is concerned, I guess Ill deal with that when its time but I have to take the chance.

If I dont make it into a US school, then I will go to the Caribbean. Because a 50% chance at a residency is better than the 0% chance Id have if I didn't go. As far as the debt is concerned, I guess Ill deal with that when its time but I have to take the chance.

Most of us fully understand and appreciate your commitment. I'll play salesman here for a second...

...If I told you you could essentially double your 1 in 2 odds of obtaining residency AND simultaneously take your risk of losing $250,000.00 and your sanity from 1/2 to let's say 1/50, would you be interested? Hmmm?

I just described your life if you go DO, instead of Caribbean MD. 'Cuz you're about 4 MCAT points and a few months of very hard work away from making that a reality.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am interested and I will put in the work :) I thank you for your comment. I've been riding the anxiety roller coaster during the past three weeks and a comment like yours helps :)

You *should* feel anxious, OP. You've been making some p***-poor decisions as if it were your secret goal to lower your chances of ever becoming a practicing physician, and going to the Caribbean would just be icing on that cake. The good news is, even now, it's still not too late for you to turn things around and start making good decisions. Like retaking the MCAT after you've prepared for it properly so that you can attend a US school, for starters.

Forget the Caribbean. Even if you had exhausted all other options, which you clearly have not, you aren't the kind of student who is likely to benefit from making a Hail Mary attempt there. And it's not necessary for you to do something that colossally stupid in order to have a reasonable shot at getting into med school. Attending a US DO school is a realistic goal for you. Really.

I am interested and I will put in the work :) I thank you for your comment. I've been riding the anxiety roller coaster during the past three weeks and a comment like yours helps :)

Let me just emphasize this one last time, DO NOT score your MCAT if you're expecting a low score. Having a score of 23 or something on your application is the worst thing that you can do to yourself. When you later score a 28, that 23 will STILL be there, and will still be taken into consideration by admissions committees.

To hop on the DO train, they also have a grade replacement policy. If you've retaken coursework, that could increase your GPA.

Aside from underestimating the MCAT and not preparing properly, I'm not sure what else indicates Ive made nothing but "p*** poor" decisions regarding this process.

Ive been a full time student and have dedicated everything to this. I gave up everything I had and I've done the best I could every step of the way. I am an average student with a good work ethic but that may not be good enough to get into a US school, so I asked about Caribbean-which will be my last resort should the US not work out.

Prettywoman...you asked for our opinion and everyone recommends to NOT GO TO THE CARIBBEAN...and you're like "screw your opinion...I'm doing it anyway".

I wish you the best of luck in the Caribbean.

Reactions: 2 users
The MCAT is THE most important test of your career thus far, do yourself a favor and cancel it. Then spend the time appropriately preparing for the exam and take it. Just winging it and going to the Caribbean is a fantastically awful idea.

Reactions: 3 users
I think I am canceling the MCAT on Saturday.

Thoughts on taking it and then voiding it?

I just took AAMC 11 and found it really hard and score was 22 :-( But even tests I have felt good about, I only hit 25 or so. I think I should heed the advice above and cancel.

You are on the right track. You will thank yourself later for doing that. Study hard and retake over the summer when you are consistently hitting 26-28 on AAMC. It well go by quickly. Best of luck

I am a huge advocate of taking and voiding if you can't get any sort of a refund. There is something to be said for running through the test day experience. Knowing where the lockers are, how to check-in and out for breaks, knowing where the restrooms are and knowing what the test would look like on the actual screen at the testing center. It takes a lot of stress out of the MCAT experience. With a 22 on AAMC 11 definitely void and read my post about non-trads struggling on the MCAT on here. I was a sub-20 scorer on the early AAMCs. You can beat the test. Good luck!

I just took AAMC 11 and found it really hard and score was 22 :-( But even tests I have felt good about, I only hit 25 or so. I think I should heed the advice above and cancel.

It is very hard to get a good read on how you did on test day, some folks think they did awful and do really well, other people think they did really well and do awful. Really, void should be something that is only used when something catastrophic happens like you run out of time with a passage left to go or you get ill during the exam. Based upon your practice scores, I would not sit for the exam. The real exam is not going to feel any easier in a few days because you also have the stress of it being the actual exam to contend with. You really want to get in there and give it your best shot. I ended up with a gap year because I waited until May of my senior year in order to prepare adequately for the MCAT. I can sympathize with your situation, as I am 32 and have two bachelor's degrees, and gave up a career to pursue medicine. I understand the stresses. But, really consider taking the time to do things right, don't try to rush things in the end when you have worked this hard.

Looks like the last day to cancel was 1/5. I guess I am taking it and voiding it.

And why would you take a high-stakes, career deciding exam with such little preparation? I have Adcom colleagues who would question your judgment and wait list you for that alone.

Do you understand that the Carib diploma mills have atrociously high attrition rates, significantly longer time to graduation rates, and low (50% and decreasing) odds of ever landing even a poor residency, even if the graduates have decent Step I scores?

Take the MCAT when you are ready, calculate your AACOMAS GPA, and apply to DO schools in June.

Or do you really want to end up deeply in debt and without a job??

Thoughts? Input?

I just want to add, OP, that if your age is a motivation to "get this done now", forget about that. Some of my all time best students have been in their 30s and 40s. I graduated one last year at age 50! if she can do, why not you. But please, make good choices.

I am having a mini meltdown (ok, maybe it is an epic meltdown).

From the last week (in order):

AAMC 8: 26 PS8 VR9 BS9

AAMC 10: 23 PS7 VR7 BS9

AAMC 11: 24 PS7 VR8 BS9

AAMC 9: 30 PS9 VR10 BS11

I just read in the AAMC guidelines that I could just be a no-show on Saturday and it won't be held against me or reported to any schools. Or I can void. Or I can take it. I am definitely improving everyday but I have had more low scores than I have had higher ones which doesn't make me feel very confident. I am now out of AAMC tests and have only a book with 4 Kaplan tests in it and the EK Mini MCAT book left for tests. I have most of TPRH Science workbook, but Ive pretty much exhausted TPR verbal book as well as EK.

I am probably not going to move my score in 2 days.

I should let it be.

j

I just read in the AAMC guidelines that I could just be a no-show on Saturday and it won't be held against me or reported to any schools. Or I can void. Or I can take it. I am definitely improving everyday but I have had more low scores than I have had higher ones which doesn't make me feel very confident. I am now out of AAMC tests and have only a book with 4 Kaplan tests in it and the EK Mini MCAT book left for tests. I have most of TPRH Science workbook, but Ive pretty much exhausted TPR verbal book as well as EK.

I should let it be.
What was your first MCAT score? Nvm, I just realized you didn't take it yet. You could take the exam and deal with a 24ish and possibly land a spot in DO school, then retake later. Or you could hold off, improve your score, and try it again for a single solid score.

My diagnostic was taken in June before any review

AAMC 3 25 PS6 VR10 BS9

If you are in meltdown mode right now, DEFINITELY DO NOT sit for the exam. You need to re-evaluate things, come up with a solid study plan that is much more encompassing than 3 weeks, act on the plan, and take the test when you are good and ready. The way it sounds, if you sit for the exam right now, you are setting yourself up for a problem. Continue to study and do as many practice passages as possible, content review will only get you so far. One thing that is important, is that after every passage and practice test, that you sit down and do a post-mortem on EVERY question you got wrong, determine why, and take corrective measures PRIOR to the next full length. Otherwise, you are going to continue making the same mistakes.

Reactions: 3 users
I just want to add, OP, that if your age is a motivation to "get this done now", forget about that. Some of my all time best students have been in their 30s and 40s. I graduated one last year at age 50! if she can do, why not you. But please, make good choices.

I had a guy in his 60s in my class. Dude worked hard, never made excuses, and is a good IM attending right now.

Now THAT'S inspirational!
It really is. As nontrads, a lot of us feel a slight pressure to "hurry things up." However, one who takes his/her time to provide the best packet available (even if it means waiting an additional year or two before applying) will surely have a much better shot at getting into medical school on the first attempt.

Looks like the last day to cancel was 1/5. I guess I am taking it and voiding it.

Just don't be tempted to score it, even if you think you did well. You can't predict the MCAT. I did excellent on the two sections that I thought I scored poorly on, and poorly on the one section that I thought I killed.

I should let it be.

Statitically, people usually score within 3 points, above OR BELOW the average of their recent full length practice tests. You cant look at just the best one, as it could be te outlier. So since you are averaging close to a 25, odds are you could come out of the real thing anywhere in the 22-28 range. A 22 or 23 would put you in a big hole. Worse if it's not balanced. You really want a string of practice tests where you are scoring 27+. I really would get out of taking this test and put in a solid block of study time before the next one. It's kind of a big deal to take this when you are ready and put your best foot forward. Offshore schools will still be the hail Mary option if you put your best foot forward later but still tank it. But right now your goal should e to study hard, add 5-6 points to your average, and get into a med school that keeps residency a reality.

The attitude that you should wing it, and if you get a 23 you can always just go to Caribbean school and "save a year" is the same attitude that will often cut short a career in medicine. You really need the attitude that your goal is to take the time you need to put your best foot forward and "ace" the thing, and if you don't, you reassess where you are and maybe you even burn another year to improve your score. As mentioned, the latter group tends to have more success at the back end, and is more likely to end up a doctor when the smoke clears. Aesop had it right -- Slow and steady wins the race.

I read in the AAMC guidelines that I can just "no-show" if its too late to cancel and that it wont be held against me or reported to schools (but does count as one on my three yearly "attempts"). Should I just do this? Because I might *be* tempted to score it at the end

Also, there dont seem to be a lot of dates for the new MCAT - do you think it will be hard to get an April/May/June date?

Just don't be tempted to score it, even if you think you did well. You can't predict the MCAT. I did excellent on the two sections that I thought I scored poorly on, and poorly on the one section that I thought I killed.
I thought I did horribly all around but walked away with a 35. You can't really guess what you'll end up with.

Wait for your MCAT results, and if it's the projected mid 20's (hopefully balanced, i.e., 8/8/9) - you should be invited to a few interviews at DO schools if you apply broadly and early. The ship that brought successful IMG/FMG grads to a decent career in the states is long, long gone now. Better to bite the bullet and wait an extra year to make any improvements to your MCAT if it doesn't come out as well as anticipated. Look at the potential 1 year loss and treat it as an investment - you will look back 10 years from now come residency application time and think, "Oh, this idiot PharmDcandidate2014 was right!" ;) Good luck!

what are you doing here bro ?? should u stay in the pharmacy forum ?? ;) jk

what are you doing here bro ?? should u stay in the pharmacy forum ?? ;) jk

My eyes were playing tricks on me and the phrase Caribbean medical school looked so similar to Pharmacy schools. ;) Don't blame me - the way both of these greedy institutions play with students by delivering false promises of a stable, high paying career but instead put them into financial bondage and ruin for the rest of their lives?

My eyes were playing tricks on me and the phrase Caribbean medical school looked so similar to Pharmacy schools. ;) Don't blame me - the way both of these greedy institutions play with students by delivering false promises of a stable, high paying career but instead put them into financial bondage and ruin for the rest of their lives?

U r right on this one. Pharmacy is the new Carribean :)

Aside from underestimating the MCAT and not preparing properly, I'm not sure what else indicates Ive made nothing but "p*** poor" decisions regarding this process.
Without going back and re-reading all of your old posts, along with those two things you mentioned (which are both pretty major mistakes to make for someone with no time to do things right but plenty of time to do them over!), offhand I recall that you also wanted to apply to a few schools non-strategically/late in the app season, and you are still considering the Caribbean, in spite of how dismal your prospects coming from the Caribbean really would be.

Ive been a full time student and have dedicated everything to this. I gave up everything I had and I've done the best I could every step of the way. I am an average student with a good work ethic but that may not be good enough to get into a US school, so I asked about Caribbean-which will be my last resort should the US not work out.
I've told you several times that it *is* enough. You don't have to be a genius to get into (or through) medical school. It helps somewhat if you are naturally good at memorizing large volumes of info and taking standardized tests, because those folks don't have to work as hard to get passing grades/be top of their class compared to many of their classmates. But if you have an average IQ and are willing to work hard, there is nothing in the med school curriculum that's particularly complicated or difficult conceptually. It's a volume issue, not a content issue. And volume overload can be overcome with hard work. Which means an average student who has a good work ethic can do it.

I should let it be.
Agree. If you can't cancel, I would just no-show. You're not ready, and all you can do by taking the test unprepared is hurt your cause. Take a step back, regroup, and attack it fresh in the spring/early summer when you're prepared.

I realize you're mid-freakout, and you're struggling right now to integrate some facts that are hard to accept. And it seems like there is no clear well-trodden path for you to follow as an older nontrad, and you're isolated from many of the usual premed resources, and you're scared because this means a lot to you. OK, understandable. But you're not as alone as you feel right now, PW. There are several of us who have gone through the entire admissions/training process ourselves, and even a few of us who have adcom experience. We can help you improve your odds of getting into med school if you'll let us.

Without going back and re-reading all of your old posts, along with those two things you mentioned (which are both pretty major mistakes to make for someone with no time to do things right but plenty of time to do them over!), offhand I recall that you also wanted to apply to a few schools non-strategically/late in the app season, and you are still considering the Caribbean, in spite of how dismal your prospects coming from the Caribbean really would be.

I've told you several times that it *is* enough. You don't have to be a genius to get into (or through) medical school. It helps somewhat if you are naturally good at memorizing large volumes of info and taking standardized tests, because those folks don't have to work as hard to get passing grades/be top of their class compared to many of their classmates. But if you have an average IQ and are willing to work hard, there is nothing in the med school curriculum that's particularly complicated or difficult conceptually. It's a volume issue, not a content issue. And volume overload can be overcome with hard work. Which means an average student who has a good work ethic can do it.

Agree. If you can't cancel, I would just no-show. You're not ready, and all you can do by taking the test unprepared is hurt your cause. Take a step back, regroup, and attack it fresh in the spring/early summer when you're prepared.

I realize you're mid-freakout, and you're struggling right now to integrate some facts that are hard to accept. And it seems like there is no clear well-trodden path for you to follow as an older nontrad, and you're isolated from many of the usual premed resources, and you're scared because this means a lot to you. OK, understandable. But you're not as alone as you feel right now, PW. There are several of us who have gone through the entire admissions/training process ourselves, and even a few of us who have adcom experience. We can help you improve your odds of getting into med school if you'll let us.

that is encouraging !!

great advice !!

QofQuimica and everyone else, thank you. I will be a no show tomorrow. I wont lie, I am definitely intimidated by the new MCAT and the lack of practice questions and practice tests available

I'm back, and closer to 50 now. I cant let it go, I just cant...I'm going to take the MCAT again and re-apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should let it be.

I did take the MCAT that day, burned out and with very little prep...I got a 498. I plan to retake it at some point after the virus is out of the way.

I did take the MCAT that day, burned out and with very little prep...I got a 498. I plan to retake it at some point after the virus is out of the way.

did you end up applying to DO schools?