Most accurate AAMC exams: only 1 week to take practice exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClassOf2015

T minus 0 app. cycles...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Despite my best effort to finish early, I took most of the summer reading the content in review books and have only started taking practice exams this past monday :( So, with a week until my MCAT, I a couple of questions for those of you that have ALREADY taken the MCAT...(YES, I have spent a lot of time over the last few days searching forums and have only got bits and pieces of my question answered, so please don't refer me to the search button :))

1. Those of you that have taken the MCAT, which AAMC exams are the most accurate in difficulty/score, etc.? (how did you score on the individual exams, vs. the real MCAT?) (plus, any accurate Kaplan FLs you could suggest?)

2. With only a week until the MCAT, what is a suggested study method to get the best results in increasing my score? Anything beyond taking FLs and reviewing how I did, and then studying things I didn't know? How often should I be taking practice tests so that I have enough practice, but also don't burn out?

3. I'm leaving a voiding option available to myself, which has actually decreased my stress a million percent, what would you say (in your opinion) would be the cutoff for voiding? (would it be terribly detrimental to my application if I have a poor MCAT, followed by a decent one, if I end up not voiding and do poorly?)

Thanks so much for your help in advance!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First of all, Goodluck with studying. I'm assuming you're on 9/9/10?

See how your practice tests go before you decide to void, and don't take the test with the mindset that

"Oh I can take it easy because I can always void" It might mess up your focus.

People here say that the later AAMCs are more accurate and the earlier ones are a little easier.

I heard 3 was much easier than the real thing.

I would think FL's 7-10 would be how the real test might be. I've taken a lot of TPR FL's which seem harder than the AAMC practice ones. And people have been saying the actual MCAT is harder but with a lenient curve?

At this point what I've been doing is increased taking AAMC FL's. I'm doing one about one every other day or 2. I take a FL, right after I look at the breakdown that they give you, note which subjects i'm missing questions on, note what type of passage questions i'm missing on I.E. data analysis type questions etc. Then I review my test later in the evening.

If you're missing discretes, you might wanna study up on the topics that you're missing out on.
Discretes are easy points that you do not want to be missing.

Passage questions might be due to reading comprehension, lack of knowledge, lack of ability to figure out how to apply knowledge, etc etc.

The next day I do a review of topics I feel i'm weak on, and maybe do some practice problems/passages from my TPR books.

Mostly the day after, I just lounge around and relax until I feel like I need to review those topics lol.

I think you only burn out if you're really going hardcore and you're studying 10+ hours each day. For me I study on average maybe 5-6 hours a day. Been doing that for the last 3 months, I had someone tell me that I should be studying 10 hour days...and I just thought that I would be so burnt out in just a few weeks of doing 10 hour days every day.

Last edited:
First of all, Goodluck with studying. I'm assuming you're on 9/9/10?

See how your practice tests go before you decide to void, and don't take the test with the mindset that

"Oh I can take it easy because I can always void" It might mess up your focus.

People here say that the later AAMCs are more accurate and the earlier ones are a little easier.

I heard 3 was much easier than the real thing.

I would think FL's 7-10 would be how the real test might be. I've taken a lot of TPR FL's which seem harder than the AAMC practice ones. And people have been saying the actual MCAT is harder but with a lenient curve?

At this point what I've been doing is increased taking AAMC FL's. I'm doing one about one every other day or 2. I take a FL, right after I look at the breakdown that they give you, note which subjects i'm missing questions on, note what type of passage questions i'm missing on I.E. data analysis type questions etc. Then I review my test later in the evening.

If you're missing discretes, you might wanna study up on the topics that you're missing out on.
Discretes are easy points that you do not want to be missing.

Passage questions might be due to reading comprehension, lack of knowledge, lack of ability to figure out how to apply knowledge, etc etc.

The next day I do a review of topics I feel i'm weak on, and maybe do some practice problems/passages from my TPR books.

Mostly the day after, I just lounge around and relax until I feel like I need to review those topics lol.

I think you only burn out if you're really going hardcore and you're studying 10+ hours each day. For me I study on average maybe 5-6 hours a day. Been doing that for the last 3 months, I had someone tell me that I should be studying 10 hour days...and I just thought that I would be so burnt out in just a few weeks of doing 10 hour days every day.

Thanks so much for your great reply! I've heard the same thing about AAMC 7-10. Those are probably the only ones I am going to bother with. Right after you mention AAMC 7-10 in your reply, you mention that you've heard the real test is harder (with a more lenient curve) than which test? AAMC or TPR? (Couldn't tell from your phrasing)

Yeah, I had planned to have more time to do practice exams, but I think I burned out in the middle of the summer, and was moving slower after that. I got through all of the material, but don't have most of the equations memorized :bang: What do you think the minimum score would be to void if I'm applying M.D. and D.O. (I'm actually pretty decent at guessing my score after I take practice tests, lol)

Hello,

Despite my best effort to finish early, I took most of the summer reading the content in review books and have only started taking practice exams this past monday :( So, with a week until my MCAT, I a couple of questions for those of you that have ALREADY taken the MCAT...(YES, I have spent a lot of time over the last few days searching forums and have only got bits and pieces of my question answered, so please don't refer me to the search button :))

1. Those of you that have taken the MCAT, which AAMC exams are the most accurate in difficulty/score, etc.? (how did you score on the individual exams, vs. the real MCAT?) (plus, any accurate Kaplan FLs you could suggest?)

2. With only a week until the MCAT, what is a suggested study method to get the best results in increasing my score? Anything beyond taking FLs and reviewing how I did, and then studying things I didn't know? How often should I be taking practice tests so that I have enough practice, but also don't burn out?

3. I'm leaving a voiding option available to myself, which has actually decreased my stress a million percent, what would you say would be the cutoff for voiding if I'm applying M.D. and D.O.? (would it be terribly detrimental to my application if I have a poor MCAT, followed by a decent one, if I end up not voiding and do poorly?)

Thanks so much for your help in advance!!! :)

No offense, but I find it very difficult to believe that you spent a lot of time searching for answers to your question.

Question 1:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=10017607&postcount=3

AAMC 7-10 is the best judge with 10 being the best one. This doesn't mean 3-6 are useless obviously.

Question 2:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7970515&postcount=4

There are various methods, but most advocate not doing anything on the day before.

Question 3:
Nearly every thread in "What are my chances" forum address this issue. Generally, DO schools are much more lenient than MD schools regarding MCAT.

Here is my advice to you: delay your MCAT. If you are a week from the real thing and you are still asking these questions, then you are obviously not ready. The only exception I can think of is if you take one of those four AAMC tests and end up getting in mid-30's or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just try a practice test and see how you do.
Although it sounds like during content review you weren't doing practice problems?

The best way to remember equations and concepts is to practice them usually during content review.

FL for me is to practice identifying
1. what a question is testing me on/ what passages are about
2. Can I use equations I use to answer problems?
3. Practice calculations (although there's not a ton of these)
4. see what I'm weak on

Also when I said the real mcat was harder I meant harder than the AAMC practice tests although, I have not yet taken my MCAT. This is all just rumors that I've read on these forums which aren't always reliable. Also take anything I say with a grain of salt, I'm pretty much a noob.

Also What I meant by not going in thinking that you can void is, at the beginning of your practice tests always get into the mindset that "This is it, this is your chance to prove yourself, you either go big or go home".

This works for me, it helps me psyche myself up *not out* so that I can give my 100%. My practice MCATs were pretty bad for the first 3-4, then someone told me to
1. psyche yourself up
2. when doing the test always have a little confidence, if you think your getting everything wrong don't let it affect you. This also helps you to not overthink a question.
3. Also go with your gut, it's usually correct.

No offense, but I find it very difficult to believe that you spent a lot of time searching for answers to your question.

Question 1:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=10017607&postcount=3

AAMC 7-10 is the best judge with 10 being the best one. This doesn't mean 3-6 are useless obviously.

Oh, man...Silverfalcon, you just made my night. :laugh: You wouldn't make a very good detective :laugh: Notice any similarities between the poster's avatar of 2 of those links, and mine? I am aware of that poll, however I'm wondering WHICH aamc exam specifically. Yes, I have searched the forum, I have no reason to lie.

The link for question was #2 useful. I've been pretty much following that schedule already.

I agree with your last thought though. I'm pretty much planning on delaying it because my practice tests are not near what I want them to be, however I already paid for the exam so...you know how that goes.

Last edited:
Hello,

YES, I have spent a lot of time over the last few days searching forums and have only got bits and pieces of my question answered, so please don't refer me to the search button :)

3. I'm leaving a voiding option available to myself, which has actually decreased my stress a million percent, what would you say would be the cutoff for voiding if I'm applying M.D. and D.O.?

First, you should just use the search function.

Second, I'll take a different tack on the advice. I would say if you are a week out from your test date and you haven't taken a single AAMC practice FL, and obviously have no idea how you might do on the real thing, you would be better served NOT taking any of those practice exams and saving them for when you take the exam in Jan or May of next year, which you will have to do. You aren't prepared for this exam and shouldn't take it. Don't waste the incredibly valuable diagnostic tools now, when you'll need them more when you actually prepare for the exam next time around. Just my $0.02. But you could have found that with a simple search :)

Just try a practice test and see how you do.
Although it sounds like during content review you weren't doing practice problems?

The best way to remember equations and concepts is to practice them usually during content review.

FL for me is to practice identifying
1. what a question is testing me on/ what passages are about
2. Can I use equations I use to answer problems?
3. Practice calculations (although there's not a ton of these)
4. see what I'm weak on

Also when I said the real mcat was harder I meant harder than the AAMC practice tests although, I have not yet taken my MCAT. This is all just rumors that I've read on these forums which aren't always reliable. Also take anything I say with a grain of salt, I'm pretty much a noob.

Also What I meant by not going in thinking that you can void is, at the beginning of your practice tests always get into the mindset that "This is it, this is your chance to prove yourself, you either go big or go home".

This works for me, it helps me psyche myself up *not out* so that I can give my 100%. My practice MCATs were pretty bad for the first 3-4, then someone told me to
1. psyche yourself up
2. when doing the test always have a little confidence, if you think your getting everything wrong don't let it affect you. This also helps you to not overthink a question.
3. Also go with your gut, it's usually correct.

Yeah, I've done 3 AAMC exams this week and it's not looking good. Although, I didn't review anymore after each, so I am going to start doing that tomorrow, then take another exam on Saturday. I just got done with AAMC 7 and choked time-wise on the physics (had to pretty much guess on 3 passages and 1 set of discretes!!!):boom:, and also a little on verbal. My biology timing was the best it's ever been, though I probably could have used an extra couple of minutes. My problem is I have a habit of reading for content. I'm a really slow reader because I try to understand everything, and I know you aren't supposed to do that. But my problem is if I go through it too quickly I feel like I have no idea what I read. And when I come across "main idea" questions (esp. in verbal) it's hard to answer them, or really any of the questions without feeling a little lost as to where in the passage to find the answer. I don't know if that makes sense or not, lol.

The only questions i was doing was the end of the chapter review questions in the Kaplan online class books. Those aren't really MCAT style questions, more testing your knowledge, which is probably better during that stage of studying. I just am missing the time to review content and do extra equations that cement the equations/concepts/etc in my head, and time to study in between exams in order to improve my score. :smack::thumbdown:

Your advise is pretty dead on though with a lot of the things you said, even though you are a self proclaimed "noob." lol! I'm the furthest thing from a noob, and I'm just now learning some of those things, like the whole confidence thing! I was really getting down on myself, but then when I realized that I may not be able to take it just yet, and I always had the voiding option, I relaxed much more...I know you said don't rely too much on that, but trust me, I needed to relax! haha.

First, you should just use the search function.

Second, I'll take a different tack on the advice. I would say if you are a week out from your test date and you haven't taken a single AAMC practice FL, and obviously have no idea how you might do on the real thing, you would be better served NOT taking any of those practice exams and saving them for when you take the exam in Jan or May of next year, which you will have to do. You aren't prepared for this exam and shouldn't take it. Don't waste the incredibly valuable diagnostic tools now, when you'll need them more when you actually prepare for the exam next time around. Just my $0.02. But you could have found that with a simple search :)

First: Wow, thanks for :beat: I did search, hence me saying that "I did a search so please don't suggest that." My questions are more specific than a lot of what is written so far, that I could find. Plus I'd like new opinions.

Second: I have taken 3 exams. I agree with you not to waste the exams, that is why I'm asking which are best to see how you would do. I already paid for the exam, so that's why I'm asking the other questions, just in case I don't want to void.

I got the same score that I got on 8, 9 and 10.

Imo 9 was probably the most like the actual exam. 10 was a little too easy but with a little too harsh a curve.

Gosh I hope this doesn't turn into a flame war or something. You're a week out OP, if you're scoring in the range you want then go ahead and score it, if you're not then just void and prepare like hell for next cycle. That's all there is to it, whichever you decide just do it and stop wasting your precious week on SDN.

There's only so much you can learn from SDN, after that it's all just a waste. Most, if not all, is contained in SN2ed's thread or the 30+ thread.

Last edited:
First: Wow, thanks for :beat: I did search, hence me saying that "I did a search so please don't suggest that." My questions are more specific than a lot of what is written so far, that I could find. Plus I'd like new opinions.

Second: I have taken 3 exams. I agree with you not to waste the exams, that is why I'm asking which are best to see how you would do. I already paid for the exam, so that's why I'm asking the other questions, just in case I don't want to void.

First: Why is that smiley beating that donkey? Are you sure you didn't search hard enough?

Second: That $230 is gone my man. From the way you say that your first 3 practice exams have gone, with one week left it looks like that ship has sailed. So is the 3 x $35 on those practice exams. You will have to take the exam again with all likelihood, so cut your losses now and save those practice exams for your next time around, when you will get your money, and the diagnostic/prep effect out of them.

Gosh I hope this doesn't turn into a flame war or something. whichever you decide just do it and stop wasting your precious week on SDN.

There's only so much you can learn from SDN, after that it's all just a waste. Most, if not all, is contained in SN2ed's thread or the 30+ thread.

With all due respect, I'm not sure what a flame war is, I just get annoyed that every time anyone posts on SDN it has to be prefaced with "yes, I have searched." lol. Trust me, I'm not wasting more than about 10 minutes every time I need a break from studying.

First: Why is that smiley beating that donkey? Are you sure you didn't search hard enough?

Second: That $230 is gone my man. From the way you say that your first 3 practice exams have gone, with one week left it looks like that ship has sailed. So is the 3 x $35 on those practice exams. You will have to take the exam again with all likelihood, so cut your losses now and save those practice exams for your next time around, when you will get your money, and the diagnostic/prep effect out of them.

Lol! That is you beating a dead horse by telling me to search! Anyway, I don't know why I'm bothering to explain this, but no, I am not upset about losing the $230. That has nothing to do with why I posted. :poke: I would just rather get the exam done with now, that's all. I'm pretty much assuming I'm going to have to retake at this point. And I actually spent more than a grand for the practice tests because they came with the Kaplan class I purchased (yes, I'm aware you can buy them separately). Again, yes, I agree to not waste the exams, however I was wondering which was the most effective to see where I'm at, to see if I may want to not consider voiding.

I got the same score that I got on 8, 9 and 10.

Imo 9 was probably the most like the actual exam. 10 was a little too easy but with a little too harsh a curve.

Thank you! Very informative. That's the kind of specific info I was looking for! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
If that's the kind of specific info you want then check out the 30+ thread. It's probably more useful to start at the end and work backwards.

Oh, man...Silverfalcon, you just made my night. :laugh: You wouldn't make a very good detective :laugh: Notice any similarities between the poster's avatar of 2 of those links, and mine? You just sent me my own poll that I conducted under my own old account (I couldn't remember the password, so I had to make a new one). So I am completely aware of that poll, however I didn't specify WHICH aamc exam specifically. That is why I am asking it here. So, yes, I have searched the forum, I have no reason to lie.

As you can tell on the date of my poll from my old account, I've been at this for a while, everything in your post is basic knowledge I already have, no offense. Though I appreciate your attempt at answering my questions, I'm looking for information more specific than that. I did find the link for question #2 useful, though. I've been pretty much following that schedule already. I know DO MCAT requirements tend to run lower than MD, that is why I mentioned I am applying to both.

I agree with your last thought though. I'm pretty much planning on delaying it because my practice tests are not near what I want them to be, however I already paid for the exam so...you know how that goes. If I delay my test, I will be ruling MD out, and I was hoping to not have to do that. I'd like the option of applying to both.

Oh, do you really expect me to go through and click every single link I provide in this forum? Heck no. I don't have that much free time to check through individual link. If SN2ed provided it, I trust it. No need to go on that unnecessary details about detective work.

If you asked those questions in 2008, what are you doing still? In other words, while it is perfectly fine to be re-taking MCAT (or taking after voiding the first time), all of your questions have been answered.

AAMC 10 vs. Real AAMC
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=753587
AAMC 9 vs. Real AAMC
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=275624
AAMC 8 vs. Real AAMC
http://more.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=758093
AAMC 7 and others
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=400689

If you are asking for even more specific answer as in exact score, follow another user's advice and read through 30+ thread. Or old exam date threads. I don't even know why I'm explaining this in such details because it's pretty well-known that people are known to score several points up or down from the average of AAMC 7-10 (or just the last one), etc..

It also seems like you are in Kaplan course. Did you take any Kaplan FL? Or have you been just reading Kaplan books? If that is all you've been doing (reading Kaplan books), you should void.

But I'm done talking. I think Pons and I gave some great advices here, but you are either too adamant or nervous to take them seriously.

Oh, do you really expect me to go through and click every single link I provide in this forum? Heck no. I don't have that much free time to check through individual link. If SN2ed provided it, I trust it. No need to go on that unnecessary details about detective work.

If you asked those questions in 2008, what are you doing still? In other words, while it is perfectly fine to be re-taking MCAT (or taking after voiding the first time), all of your questions have been answered.

AAMC 10 vs. Real AAMC
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=753587
AAMC 9 vs. Real AAMC
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=275624
AAMC 8 vs. Real AAMC
http://more.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=758093
AAMC 7 and others
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=400689

If you are asking for even more specific answer as in exact score, follow another user's advice and read through 30+ thread. Or old exam date threads. I don't even know why I'm explaining this in such details because it's pretty well-known that people are known to score several points up or down from the average of AAMC 7-10 (or just the last one), etc..

It also seems like you are in Kaplan course. Did you take any Kaplan FL? Or have you been just reading Kaplan books? If that is all you've been doing (reading Kaplan books), you should void.

But I'm done talking. I think Pons and I gave some great advices here, but you are either too adamant or nervous to take them seriously.

I'm still asking questions. That's what this site it for, no? I've never taken then MCAT, fyi, and I have looked through the 30+ post. I haven't done any full length Kaplan exams recently (just AAMC 3, 4, and 7). When I did, it was before I did content review. From what I have found from searches is that about 75% of people think they are harder than the real thing. I found Kaplan's end of chapter questions a little ridiculous at times because they asked for the cos and sin of all sorts of random numbers, etc., which I can't imagine the MCAT would expect you to know without a calculator (estimation only goes so far). Yes, I've only been doing content review, save for the 3 AAMC exams I took this week, which I know is horrible at this point. I had planned for a month, but I think I burned our a little bit, and got behind schedule. I don't want to waste anymore AAMC exams, but I think I may study for 2 more days, take AAMC 5 (so I don't waste a good one) and see if it helped any. I feel like 1 more exam is okay to use, because if I'm studying until January, I'd probably be able to take those exams again because I will have forgotten the content by then. Eh, who knows.

THIS post was useful! Thanks for the extra info. Yes, there is info out there, but it's always good to re-ask questions, as someone who is desiring to practice medicine, you should know this :laugh:. I really wish people could post on here without getting attitude...sign.

Last edited:
Didn't read through the argument in previous posts... but heres my 2 cents. I'd try and make it through the later CBT MCAT's, but none are 'better' than the other. It doesn't matter if you get a 42 on AAMC 3 that you write tomorrow, or a 29 on AAMC 10 - what matters is that you keep preparing. Your score on the real MCAT won't drop or increase just because you wrote a specific practice MCAT. I don't remember any of the same topics on the AAMC's I took being tested on the MCAT directly, and even if they were, it wasn't taking specific AAMC's that helped. What you are really hoping to gain from the practice tests is an idea of the pacing and stamina it will take to write the real MCAT.

Also, a final piece of advice - keep in mind that the BS section will be very different on your MCAT (in recent tests, everyone has commented that it is very genetics heavy). Best of luck!

Your score on the real MCAT won't drop or increase just because you wrote a specific practice MCAT. I don't remember any of the same topics on the AAMC's I took being tested on the MCAT directly, and even if they were, it wasn't taking specific AAMC's that helped. What you are really hoping to gain from the practice tests is an idea of the pacing and stamina it will take to write the real MCAT.

Also, a final piece of advice - keep in mind that the BS section will be very different on your MCAT (in recent tests, everyone has commented that it is very genetics heavy). Best of luck!

Yes, I agree. I'm still studying, just was asking which exam will give me the best idea of where I'm at so I can know how to prepare, and pace. I know there isn't always a direct correlation between practice scores and real score, but it helps give you an idea (especially as far as voiding goes).

I also keep hearing people say that passages are longer and denser :( Booo! Any tips on pacing, especially for the physics section, would be helpful! Do people scan questions first, or look at passage first (and in what depth, for how long)?
Thanks for your answer!

Any tips on pacing, especially for the physics section, would be helpful! Do people scan questions first, or look at passage first (and in what depth, for how long)?
For physics, you need to be able to do math and dimensional analysis quickly. Just knowing the units (from the answer choices) can help greatly. There have been a few recent sittings (especially the 8/19 and yesterday's apparently) that the PS was a calculation-fest. The game of the MCAT is to be able to get close, quickly. The anwers choices are VERY seldom close enough that a calculator would help. Use intelligent rounding and a few scientific notation tricks to get close enough to move on. Being able to do pH calculations quickly is always helpful. If you have the EK books, the information and exercises at the front of the Verbal/Math review book is helpful. I'm a passage-reader, but that's what works for me. There are as many opinions on how to attack the passage-based problems as there are test-prep companies.

For physics, you need to be able to do math and dimensional analysis quickly. Just knowing the units (from the answer choices) can help greatly. There have been a few recent sittings (especially the 8/19 and yesterday's apparently) that the PS was a calculation-fest. The game of the MCAT is to be able to get close, quickly. The anwers choices are VERY seldom close enough that a calculator would help. Use intelligent rounding and a few scientific notation tricks to get close enough to move on. Being able to do pH calculations quickly is always helpful. If you have the EK books, the information and exercises at the front of the Verbal/Math review book is helpful. I'm a passage-reader, but that's what works for me. There are as many opinions on how to attack the passage-based problems as there are test-prep companies.

It seems weird that the MCAT had calculation intensive tests, I always thought it fancied itself a test of logical reasoning/critical thinking testing more on concepts and application of concepts instead of stuff like calculation.

It seems weird that the MCAT had calculation intensive tests, I always thought it fancied itself a test of logical reasoning/critical thinking testing more on concepts and application of concepts instead of stuff like calculation.

It is, especially the BS section, but it applies to both science sections. That's why you don't need a calculator to do the math that is required. You're ability to manipulate simple formulas, eliminate some answer choices that are incorrect based on inspection and intuition and perform some dimensional analysis is what is tested. If you can't do those things, you can run into a time crunch as you try to perform lengthy calculations where a simple ratio would get you to the answer if you had a stronger grasp of the principle that's being tested. For example, you can memorize and try to plug numbers into the formula for period of a simple harmonic system, or you can just understand intuitively the way that the "elastic" and "inertial" components of those formulas effect the period and estimate your way to the correct answer. I think that ExamKrackers and TBR both do a pretty good job of trying to get you to that point in attacking the PS questions.

It is, especially the BS section, but it applies to both science sections. That's why you don't need a calculator to do the math that is required. You're ability to manipulate simple formulas, eliminate some answer choices that are incorrect based on inspection and intuition and perform some dimensional analysis is what is tested. If you can't do those things, you can run into a time crunch as you try to perform lengthy calculations where a simple ratio would get you to the answer if you had a stronger grasp of the principle that's being tested. For example, you can memorize and try to plug numbers into the formula for period of a simple harmonic system, or you can just understand intuitively the way that the "elastic" and "inertial" components of those formulas effect the period and estimate your way to the correct answer. I think that ExamKrackers and TBR both do a pretty good job of trying to get you to that point in attacking the PS questions.

This is kinda worrying me now lol, have the recent tests calculation questions been harder than the AAMC calculation questions? Or has there just been a higher frequency of these?

So far on the AAMC tests and the TPR tests i've done, the calculation questions haven't been a source of agony to me, but iono...i'm a 9/9/10'er so i'll just see what happens.

Oh, and you just reminded me. My other problem is that I just got done with content review, so I haven't had time absorb and "memorize" most of the equations. Kaplan FLs seem to be much more straight-up calculations than what you are talking about. They aren't as "subtle" as AAMC exam calculation questions are...does that make any sense? lol.

This is kinda worrying me now lol, have the recent tests calculation questions been harder than the AAMC calculation questions? Or has there just been a higher frequency of these?

So far on the AAMC tests and the TPR tests i've done, the calculation questions haven't been a source of agony to me, but iono...i'm a 9/9/10'er so i'll just see what happens.

Mosey on over to the Official 9/3/2010 Exam Club page. There is much tearing of clothing and shouting of lamentations occurring as we speak over the amount of calculations required for today's test. The 8/19 test was the same way, if I remember correctly.

Mosey on over to the Official 9/3/2010 Exam Club page. There is much tearing of clothing and shouting of lamentations occurring as we speak over the amount of calculations required for today's test. The 8/19 test was the same way, if I remember correctly.

Yeah, I did a little of that yesterday. Ugh, my dilemma is applying late. I'm not going to wait till the next cycle (unless I'm forced to). I'm afraid of not voiding and getting outright rejected, but on the other hand, if I apply late and have a better MCAT score, I may still get rejected. I have all the average things most applicants have (and my ugpa good), but I also have some things that set me apart (because I am older than the average applicant) in the form of an extra degree, and a professional science related career, so I'm not sure if those extra things will makeup for a low MCAT if I don't void. Have you seen anything on the forums from past applicants that would be informative to me in this respect? I'm going to apply widely for D.O. schools.

That's three tests recently that were super heavy on calculations. Last year it seemed like only three tests all year long were heavy on calculations.

Not to do an informercial here (not my intention at all), but I swear by the BR approach to calculation problems because I did so many that I was swearing at the BR approach. But I"ll be damned if I can't do mulitple choice math in my sleep now. There are only so many types of math questions on the PS section, and there is an easy, time-saving way to do every type. People who take the class I'm sure will agree that getting pH is easy no matter how hard the numbers may look. All it takes is a little practice with mulitple choice questions. Math comes from practice.

OP: With just days left, I'd go to the Q and A section here and work through some questions in the threads. It's an unusual approach perhaps, but there are good questions and some really helpful posts. Great way to learn some different perspectives on challenging questions.

Last edited:
That's three tests recently that were super heavy on calculations. Last year it seemed like only three tests all year long were heavy on calculations.

Not to do an informercial here (not my intention at all), but I swear by the BR approach to calculation problems because I did so many that I was swearing at the BR approach. But I"ll be damned if I can't do mulitple choice math in my sleep now. There are only so many types of math questions on the PS section, and there is an easy, time-saving way to do every type. People who take the class I'm sure will agree that getting pH is easy no matter how hard the numbers may look. All it takes is a little practice with mulitple choice questions. Math comes from practice.

Agreed. I took TBR this summer and am one of the 9/3 test takers. It was very heavy on calculations, and while many people I talked to hated it, I didn't mind it at all. TBR sets you up perfectly to be able to handle a calculation heavy test, even though not all tests are calculation heavy, had I not taken TBR and had the safety net of the ability to do calculations, the PS would have been a lot more difficult for me.

Agreed. I took TBR this summer and am one of the 9/3 test takers. It was very heavy on calculations, and while many people I talked to hated it, I didn't mind it at all. TBR sets you up perfectly to be able to handle a calculation heavy test, even though not all tests are calculation heavy, had I not taken TBR and had the safety net of the ability to do calculations, the PS would have been a lot more difficult for me.

I remember being bummed that my MCAT didn't have that many calculations. It sounds like it was a perfect test for you. Here's hoping the curve treats you well and you get a stellar score,

I remember being bummed that my MCAT didn't have that many calculations. It sounds like it was a perfect test for you. Here's hoping the curve treats you well and you get a stellar score,

I'm using Kaplan right now. How is Kaplan compared to TBR? Also, I don't know much about BR, is there a comprehensive book that I can buy at Borders or B&N? I've already paid for the Kaplan class, so I don't want to buy another class.

Thanks