Most aggravating patient of the day...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pt: My doctor hasn't refilled my prescription for terbinafine and they are not answering their phones. I hate this healthcare system. I about to move to Canada.
Me: We have already given you a 3 day emergency supply and faxed you doctor several times. As I explained the other day, the pharmacy cannot dispense more than the single 3 day emergency supply until a new prescription is issued.
Pt: It's the damn government, isn't it? You know they told me not to stop taking this.
Me: No, it is your doctor who is not responding to the refill request. They haven't sent out a vacation notice, so they should be in the office. If you are unable to reach them by phone, I can only recommend that you stop by their office or try to obtain the prescription from a different provider.
Pt: Because of the LAW, right? So, it IS our government. I can't go all the way to the office. It is 15 minutes away.
Me: In the sense that this medication requires a prescription, yes. But it requires a prescription in Canada too. The main challenge is your doctor not responding.
Pt: I think they must be on vacation. So you can't give me another 3 day supply... Because of the government. I hope you realize that I am so angry right now. This system is so unfair. This happened last year too. Damn government. Was it worse before Obamacare or is this new?
Me: Obamacare has nothing to do with the medication requiring a prescription. The only way to keep this from happening if your doctor takes vacations at this time of year is to see your doctor in the office and obtain a refill before your last refill is used up.
Pt: Well a lot of good that does me now. Stupid system we have here.
Me: Do you have a primary care provider who might be willing to write for this for the next month until you podiatrist is reachable?
Pt: They will want to see me. They referred me to this guy for my problem.
Me: So they have seen you for this issue and charted it already? Why don't we try asking....

I can't wait to talk to this guy again tomorrow. He earns the no ownership of one's own healthcare trophy, for sure.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
A daily, or should I say hourly, occurrence at every retail pharmacy in America. I still wonder how some of these people survive in the real world

Last edited:
I've given people more than a 3 day emergency supply. When I create a emergency supply it defaults to 3 but if it's a weekend or holiday I may do a 4.

Members don't see this ad :)
Our emergency supplies are company mandated as max of 3 days to fit the applicable statutes. This dude would have been asking for an indefinite number of 3 day supplies anyway. I would have cut him off after 3 days anyway. Likely due for lab work and an office visit he had been avoiding. You know, the government unfairly requiring it and all.

BTW this is intended as a group rant thread. If you aren't complaining, you aren't doing it right.

Reactions: 2 users
A 15 minute drive though, what an inconvenience. His health insurance, I mean Medicaid, should reimburse him for the money spent on gas. Oh wait, in my state they already do this

A 15 minute drive though, what an inconvenience. His health insurance, I mean Medicaid, should reimburse him for the money spent on gas. Oh wait, in my state they already do this

WV or your real state?

Reactions: 1 user
What does WV reimburse regarding driving to the pharmacy!?

People on government assistance can be reimbursed in gas as a reward for adherence/get free rides to their doctor's office. I believe it depends on the who is administrating the medicaid plan whether or not you can get reimbursed.

I'm currently working in Morgantown and we accept PA Medicaid as well - I'v even had to sign forms for some of these patients so they can get reimbursed.

Can't you refer them to a minute clinic that will authorize a one time refill?

I'm voting for whoever will get people off the government's tit.

Yeah, people will blame Obama/government for all their problems, even when their problems are obviously non-partisan. Trying to talk reason to them seldom works, so I usually just agree and say "yes, the government is the problem, too bad more people don't vote. I recommend that you write our congressman/senators about this problem" (haha, this usually gets them to change the topic, because 9 out of 10 times, the people complaining DON"T vote, and they sure aren't going to be bothered to actually write their congressman/senator.)

And this is the first I've heard about state government reimbursing for gas spent going to the doctor....wow, and I thought Ohio was bad with their state-covered diapers by prescription.

Yeah, people will blame Obama/government for all their problems, even when their problems are obviously non-partisan. Trying to talk reason to them seldom works, so I usually just agree and say "yes, the government is the problem, too bad more people don't vote. I recommend that you write our congressman/senators about this problem" (haha, this usually gets them to change the topic, because 9 out of 10 times, the people complaining DON"T vote, and they sure aren't going to be bothered to actually write their congressman/senator.)

And this is the first I've heard about state government reimbursing for gas spent going to the doctor....wow, and I thought Ohio was bad with their state-covered diapers by prescription.

Don't forget your state covered blood pressure monitor and condoms

Don't forget your state covered blood pressure monitor and condoms

Condoms, I can almost understand. The state knows they would be paying a lot more than the price of a condom for an unintended pregnancy. I'm surprised IL hasn't picked up on that yet, although they will pay for Plan B without a prescription.

Condoms, I can almost understand. The state knows they would be paying a lot more than the price of a condom for an unintended pregnancy. I'm surprised IL hasn't picked up on that yet, although they will pay for Plan B without a prescription.

Oddly I'v only filled 1 RX for condoms before... and it was never picked up. BP Monitor is more common though.